Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Beck / ZZ Top 2014 Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That really surprises me, Vic. I remember when you were on that ZZ Top fix a couple years ago.
    Yeah I was on a binge buying ZZ Top albums left and right. But then I've read a few reviews of some of their recent concerts and all I read is mostly negative. They use backing tracks, they're sluggish, this or that, etc. It's just not as important to me to see bands live anymore. It's just too inconvenient for the most part. I'm fine just listening to the albums and watching DVDs.

For me, Beck is the Yardbirds, Truth, Beck-Ola, and Rough & Ready. His fusion-y stuff doesn't do much for me, and the more he became "whammy bar Jeff," the less interested I became.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    "Beck, Bogert, Appice." It's ok, it's nothing all that special.
    You're being charitable.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah I was on a binge buying ZZ Top albums left and right. But then I've read a few reviews of some of their recent concerts and all I read is mostly negative. They use backing tracks, they're sluggish, this or that, etc. It's just not as important to me to see bands live anymore. It's just too inconvenient for the most part. I'm fine just listening to the albums and watching DVDs.
    They've been using backing tracks since the 80's. How else do you propose they recreate the synthesizer parts on the Eliminator/Turbo era records.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    For me, Beck is the Yardbirds, Truth, Beck-Ola, and Rough & Ready. His fusion-y stuff doesn't do much for me, and the more he became "whammy bar Jeff," the less interested I became.
    You're so "old school," Mo!

He was great back then (especially on "Truth"), but I dig the modern JB too.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    You're so "old school," Mo!

He was great back then (especially on "Truth"), but I dig the modern JB too.

I'm just old. I need to check some "modern JB". What do you recommend?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Well, it's been old by now, but Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop With Terry Bozzio And Tony Hymas is a GREAT album. Yeah, the drums are a bit late 80's sounding, but the whole album is just fantastic. On the other hand, he was well into "whammy bar Jeff" era by then, so if you don't like that, you might not dig this album. But I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be moved by Where Were You and Behind The Veil.

More recently, both Who Else! and You Had It Coming are both excellent records. You Had it Coming has some interesting "techno" production that shows Jeff "keeping up with the kids" quite well. I never did get Jeff or any of the live stuff he's released since then, though.

His last, Emotion and Commotion is absolutely brilliant. Waiting for the next one.

Everything from Guitar Shop on is fantastic. I'm not much of a shred/whammy dive bomb fan but what Mr Beck does with the whammy is otherworldly, nobody else comes close.
    Then to top it all off he does a fantastic tribute to Cliff Gallup/Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps with the Crazy Legs album. Kind of strange to hear Beck go from twang bar king to very a convincing minimalist rockabilly dude rivaling Danny Gatton or Brian Setzer.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, it's been old by now, but Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop With Terry Bozzio And Tony Hymas is a GREAT album.
    That might actually be the best recommendation for Mo. It has less of a fusion vibe than previous albums and Jeff wasn't quite as obsessed with the whammy bar as he is now. The drum sounds kinda suck, but other than that, it's a solid album! I don't think he'd like "Who Else?" or "You Had it Coming." They're basically Jeff jamming over techno grooves, though there's a couple of nice tunes that break out of that mold amidst it all.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    His last, Emotion and Commotion is absolutely brilliant. Waiting for the next one.
    I was a little disappointed with that one, though there a couple of great tracks. It's mostly Jeff's "ballads" album and though he can do that beautifully, it's too focused on that aspect of his thing and lacks the usual fire that you expect. IMO (duh!), of course.

Lots of fun Friday night. Beck's set was the best IMO. The crowd in OKC was a little stale & it showed with the bands, but it was a good time nevertheless. Tyler Bryant was very good. It's gotta be tough going up there solo & trying to capture a "band" sound with acoustics. I'd love to see what this kid can do with a band. Kinda reminded me a bit of Joe Bonamassa.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think you like best what you grew up with. So, for me, Wired and Blow By Blow were both out when I was a teenager.

I love all of Jeff Beck's output, but I did stop after two of the electronica albums. I believe it was Roger Ebert who said
    George C. Scott would be interesting to watch on screen eating a hamburger. I feel about the same with regards to Jeff
    playing guitar and his recorded output. Recorded a concert from the current tour on Dime. Time to listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I love all of Jeff Beck's output, but I did stop after two of the electronica albums. I believe it was Roger Ebert who said
    George C. Scott would be interesting to watch on screen eating a hamburger. I feel about the same with regards to Jeff
    playing guitar and his recorded output. Recorded a concert from the current tour on Dime. Time to listen to it.
    Change isn't always good and Jeff Beck is no exception, but I like Who Else, You Had It Coming, and Jeff. Great to see an artist push their boundaries (if they even exist). I agree these efforts may have been a bit trendy (Prodigy), But, I think he recorded a lot of tunes on these CDs that reflect his growth while staying true to his roots. Like I said, I think.

ALERT: TOMORROW'S 8/28 CONCERT BY ZZ TOP AND JEFF BECK CANCELED

Ravinia regretfully announces that the Aug. 28 concert by ZZ Top and Jeff Beck has been canceled due to injury. ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill slipped and fell on his hip while aboard his tour bus last night. As a result of Hill’s injury, which requires immediate attention, all ZZ Top performance dates have been temporarily suspended while he recovers. Tour dates affected by the suspension include all of the scheduled concert bills shared with Jeff Beck through Sept. 13.

Ravinia President and CEO Welz Kauffman said, "I, like so many people I've heard from, marked the debuts of ZZ Top and Jeff Beck together on a single night as one of the summer's must-see events. We certainly hope to welcome them back in a future season."

Those who have already purchased tickets or chair/table rentals to the ZZ Top/Jeff Beck concert need do nothing. Refunds will be made automatically to the original method of payment. Customers will be notified by e-mail once this transaction is completed.

The 6 p.m. performance by saxophonist Ashu will continue as planned in Bennett Gordon Hall.

Ravinia regrets any inconvenience and wishes a speedy recovery to Dusty Hill.

It's the PE Curse!!!!!!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

http://www.jambands.com/news/2014/08...inder-of-tour/
    The remainder of the ZZ Top and Jeff Beck joint tour has been cancelled, the bands shared today via their respective Facebook pages. ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill reportedly slipped and fell on his hip while aboard his tour bus last night. As a result of the injury, which requires immediate medical attention, the tour has been cancelled while he recovers. Refunds are being offered at the point of purchase.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973