Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes - Streaming live tonight (8/19)

I recently saw Yes at Westbury and have to say that show was a better performance. First, the tempos were faster, almost at original tempo. Last night, as soon as Steve kicked into Siberian Khatru I knew the tempos would drag. Even my wife noticed how almost dirge like some of the songs came off. They probably were playing it safe since it was a live stream.

Only other comment was that SH's guitar tone is Way Too Clean. There is almost no bite, overdrive or feel through that Line6 rig. I'm not asking for his Yessongs tone, but it sounds like he's playing in a soft jazz lounge band.

Note - his actual playing was great as usual.

JD and CS were awesome.

GD has some issue with his keys during the CTTE intro, but otherwise, I liked his playing and sounds.

AW - steady as he goes as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post

Only other comment was that SH's guitar tone is Way Too Clean. There is almost no bite, overdrive or feel through that Line6 rig. I'm not asking for his Yessongs tone, but it sounds like he's playing in a soft jazz lounge band.

Note - his actual playing was great as usual
    Yes (ahem) he sounded as if he was channeling Chet Atkins or Les Paul. Very articulate playing, I loved it. I was upset the cameras weren't catching his spots and focused on Squire, who was great, more often than not. The overall tempos were slower than when I saw them at RCMH also. White looked exhausted. And old. Especially the one time where the camera seemed to have been catching him via the bass drum. I had loads of streaming issues but thankfully not for too long any one time.
    Stopped watching when Owner started, could barely keep my eyes open by that time anyway.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    White looked exhausted. And old.
    I'm assuming the Yahoo feed was the same thing being projected on large screens flanking the stage that the audience could see. There were several close-ups where I thought "This does the band no favors", especially -- I hate to say it -- Alan. At least with Chris and Steve you would think, "That's an old mofo, but holy crap can he play!" With Alan the camera would show this old guy on the stool, and then swing around behind and show you how feebly he was hitting the kit. It's like he's playing the bare minimum to get through the songs. I know Chris is completely loyal to Alan, but day-um...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

It's being re-run for 24 hours.

Watched the replay. Enjoyed it very much. Since I am only 30 minutes from San Jose, I regret not attending. Checked the available seats at the last minute,
    a little over my budget. Loved watching Chris and his "lead" bass, never tire of his playing. Steve and his effortless excellence is always fun to watch.
    Nice job Geoff as usual. And Jon? Great, but get some sleep!

saw an hour plus--liked it--especially Howe and Squire who really shined---sadly still not into Davidson's thin falsetto---sounds too high and shill too much of the time--sorta like what any one of us would do if we were trying to sound like JA, let's sing high---doesn't have enough depth the way Anderson's voice has---Jon Anderson's voice is not falsetto it's a rich tone---somehow I can accept JD more on the record than live---but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    saw an hour plus--liked it--especially Howe and Squire who really shined---sadly still not into Davidson's thin falsetto---sounds too high and shill too much of the time--sorta like what any one of us would do if we were trying to sound like JA, let's sing high---doesn't have enough depth the way Anderson's voice has---Jon Anderson's voice is not falsetto it's a rich tone---somehow I can accept JD more on the record than live---but it is what it is.
    Funny, I didn't get that impression of Jon at all in Madison. I thought he had an incredible, naturally high (almost comically) voice, and I don't recall hearing him slip into falsetto at all. Great pitch control too. I actually liked him better live than on H&E. But then, he WAS singing mostly Anderson's stuff.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can one of you guys post a torrent of the whole show, or upload it to Usenet, since I couldn't be arsed to watch it online?

Wow, I could have gone to this show and now I'm glad I didn't. These guys have never sounded more sluggish and tired to me. Alan is just hanging on. And Geoff Downes seemingly can't play anything by Wakeman. He mangles just about everything. "5 Percent For Nothing" was especially cringe-worthy. And the singer..... is just annoying. As a huge Yes fan, this is just sad. It's okay to retire guys, there's no disgrace in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    Wow, I could have gone to this show and now I'm glad I didn't. These guys have never sounded more sluggish and tired to me. Alan is just hanging on. And Geoff Downes seemingly can't play anything by Wakeman. He mangles just about everything. "5 Percent For Nothing" was especially cringe-worthy. And the singer..... is just annoying. As a huge Yes fan, this is just sad. It's okay to retire guys, there's no disgrace in that.
    Sadly, I have to echo this. I caught the webfeed on the last 3 songs, and felt only sadness. Sorry. Just an opinion, I'm a huge fan... and I wish I could enjoy them still.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Funny, I didn't get that impression of Jon at all in Madison. I thought he had an incredible, naturally high (almost comically) voice, and I don't recall hearing him slip into falsetto at all. Great pitch control too. I actually liked him better live than on H&E. But then, he WAS singing mostly Anderson's stuff.
    well his voice sounds falsetto to me---and not natural, no one opens their mouth and sounds that high lol---but does sound comical at times in his attempt to sound like JA---but for me I still enjoy hearing the guys play the music--especially, Howe Squire and WHite--and Downes had a few moments.

Never got it to run properly when I tried to watch it yesterday.. Perhaps it will show up on Youtube.. any links yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    well his voice sounds falsetto to me---and not natural, no one opens their mouth and sounds that high lol---but does sound comical at times in his attempt to sound like JA---but for me I still enjoy hearing the guys play the music--especially, Howe Squire and WHite--and Downes had a few moments.

He IS going into falsetto in certain places. His voice is a lot weaker sounding than Anderson's. I've never heard anyone totally nail Jon Anderson's voice, it takes a lot more than hitting the high notes, his voice had a special character to it, just in the timbre of his voice.

He IS going into falsetto in certain places. His voice is a lot weaker sounding than Anderson's. I've never heard anyone totally nail Jon Anderson's voice, it takes a lot more than hitting the high notes, his voice had a special character to it, just in the timbre of his voice.
    My wife, who is not a prog rock fan, but knows Yes through many years of Osmosis, said about, JD, "wow, he really sounds like JA." Note - I did drag her to a JA solo concert a few years ago at BB Kings.

I agree that JD's voice doesn't have the thickness of JA, but JD did bring a great vibe to the songs and the concert as a whole. His enthusiasm came through. He hits the notes, conjured the spirit of JA and even sometimes letting his own voice come through. He really did a wonderful job - no complaints.

I agree, they look tired. Who wouldn't after playing the same songs for almost 50 years?! I also noticed how thick CS fingers are. It would be interesting for someone to do a documentary interviewing aging rock musicians to ask them how has age affected their abilities. How do they compensate (for singers, obviously, tune down a half or whole step)., how have they improved as musicians over the years?

"I agree that JD's voice doesn't have the thickness of JA, but JD did bring a great vibe to the songs and the concert as a whole. His enthusiasm came through. He hits the notes, conjured the spirit of JA and even sometimes letting his own voice come through. He really did a wonderful job - no complaints."

^^^This

Exactly---it's like comparing an oboe with a penny whistle. lol--

JD has a more delicate and subtle voice than JA, especially in the softer moments. I can understand every word JD sings as his articulation is flawless, unlike JA who sometimes swallowed the lyrics, and JD is sharper when hitting the notes. But, as I said earlier, his voice is thinner and less full, making those spine tingling, goosebump raising musical climaxes less effective. JD's voice is more effective on the new stuff, probably because it's being written more for his voice than the old music that exploited JA's tenor choirboy resonance, but when it comes to AYAI or Awaken or Heart of the Sunrise, JA was the man and still is.

These are all good comparisons of the two singers and further illustrates why Yes should stop trying to get someone who sounds so closely to Jon.

While Jon D seems like a good guy, clearly loves the music and is talented in his own right, he's stuck with that "Jon clone" label that could easily be avoided.

There are many singers who can hit those notes, but with a voice that is all their own. (Not that JD's isn't his). For example, a guy like Steve Walsh in his prime would have added his own touch to the material and still done it justice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Wow...I found some actual leaked choreography notes Squire wrote on the back of a napkin for JD:

Long distance (put hands to eyes like binoculars and look side to side)
    Runaround (run in a little circle)
    Long time (look at wrist like a watch)
    Waiting to feel the sound (cup one hand to each ear)
    I still remember the dream there (close eyes and rest head on hands)
    I still remember the time we said goodbye (wave goodbye)
    Did we really tell lies (cup hands to mouth "speak no evil" style)
    Letting in the sunshine (opens imaginary curtains)
    Did we really count to one hundred (make a one and two zeros with fingers)
    Cold summer (wrap arms around self and shiver)
    listening (cup hand to ear and lean)
    hot colour (lick fingertip and then touch air as if sizzling)
    melting the anger to stone (crouch like melting wicked witch)
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Yeah, while JD does a fine job, if it were up to me I'd have chosen someone who didn't sound at all like JA.

Of course, I'd be in favor of Yes doing something much more radical and experimental with their lineup in general, ala King Crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Yeah, while JD does a fine job, if it were up to me I'd have chosen someone who didn't sound at all like JA.

Of course, I'd be in favor of Yes doing something much more radical and experimental with their lineup in general, ala King Crimson.
    I can't even imagine the backlash they'd receive if they had done this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed the streaming concert. But, watching it I kept thinking..these are old men that really need to retire from touring...

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Wow...I found some actual leaked choreography notes Squire wrote on the back of a napkin for JD:

Long distance (put hands to eyes like binoculars and look side to side)
    Runaround (run in a little circle)
    Long time (look at wrist like a watch)
    Waiting to feel the sound (cup one hand to each ear)
    I still remember the dream there (close eyes and rest head on hands)
    I still remember the time we said goodbye (wave goodbye)
    Did we really tell lies (cup hands to mouth "speak no evil" style)
    Letting in the sunshine (opens imaginary curtains)
    Did we really count to one hundred (make a one and two zeros with fingers)
    Cold summer (wrap arms around self and shiver)
    listening (cup hand to ear and lean)
    hot colour (lick fingertip and then touch air as if sizzling)
    melting the anger to stone (crouch like melting wicked witch)

They played the songs so similar to the original records that sounded uninteresting. To me the nice about a live show is to listen new arrangements. Unless SH the rest of the band looked tired. Can and Brahms sounded with no life, no grace. Same with 5 percent for nothing. If a tape was being played or they were playing didn't matter it sounded the same.

How many times they played Close to the edge and Fragile? When Owner of a lonely heart sounded for the encore I decided to stop, who cares about it at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    I also noticed how thick CS fingers are.
    Just his fingers???

How about Downes, too? The guy is like 12 months pregnant.