Thread: FEATURED CD - Marsbeli Kronikak (The Martian Chronicles)

FEATURED CD - Marsbeli Kronikak (The Martian Chronicles)

Per Steve Hegede at ProgArchives:
    The Martian Chronicles" was released in 1983, and quickly became a hit in Hungary. But, it wasn't until about 1995, after SOLARIS played Progfest '95, that the rest of the prog world got a chance to discover this Eastern European gem. The album starts off with a side-long epic entitled "The Martian Chronicles Parts 1-6" which mixes Klaus SCHULZE-like synth work, with overly melodic interplay between piano, guitar, and flute. Nothing here gets too complex, rather the band seemed to have focused on creating beautiful, and playful, themes. After the side-long epic, things get a bit more aggressive with my favorite piece called "Mars Poetica". In my opinion, this sounds like a progressive, and instrumental, version of IRON MAIDEN with flutes, and Moog synths thrown in. The album goes on to end with a few more shorters tracks that feature aggressive synth solos, melodic flute interludes, and metal-guitar riffing. A classic!
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1235

Regards,

Duncan

Bought this fifteen years ago when mentioned in PE. This did not disappoint whatsoever. Easy to like and thoroughly enjoy.

One of the top albums from Hungary

Excellent album. For fans of this album, "Martian Chronicles 2" will be released October 26. Should be good.

http://www.solaris.hu/index_eng.htm

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Excellent album. For fans of this album, "Martian Chronicles 2" will be released October 26. Should be good.

http://www.solaris.hu/index_eng.htm
    Music to my ears!

One of my top favorite discs of all time. When this band hits on all cylinders they really light the sky on fire. Hope the new one has those fat analog keys!
    Yes, I want more Solareees

I own this and spin it occasionally. There are some good moments, but I wouldn't call this a top favorite of mine. I usually get to the end of this one and sort of wonder what all the fuss is about with these guys? I agree with the review that Mars Poetica is my favorite piece. I also agree it has some pretty good synth sounds.

I owned Solaris 1990 for awhile, but got rid of it. I found it very stiff and not particularly interesting. I guess Marsbeli Kronikak has held my attention better over time because I still have it.

Bill

Enjoy this one but haven't played it in eons. It always seems to run overtime but they don't stop playing until they're done!

Still haven’t tried their other ones, but this is an ace album in that distinctive “futuristic, synth-heavy East Euro prog” style (see also: East, Modrý Efekt, Progres 2, Exodus, etc. etc.). I actually saw them live at one of the Progfests prior to owning this CD.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Definitely scratches the itch when in the mood for it.

I remember shortly after this came out, some folks were calling it Neo Prog.
    Well, all I can say is, if Marillion and IQ and Twelfth Night sounded like this, I would be a drooling Neo fanboy!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I actually saw them live at one of the Progfests prior to owning this CD.
    Yep -- they were definitely one of the most hyped bands that year. For the most part I thought they lived up to it, though seeing them live was a bit odd because apparently they had two "classic" lineups and both came out and performed! There was some overlap but as I recall there were two guitar players alternating -- not sure who else. I'm sure it was a total buzz for a band from Hungary to come out to LA to play an album they had recorded in the early 80s during the Bad Old Days.

To me the album is a throwback to classic 70s Euro-prog but with the benefits of 80s recording technology and later model synths and sequencers.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Hmmm I'll have to pull this off the shelf and have a go. It's been years . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

The thing I like about this CD, is when it reaches the end, it goes back and sets itself to repeat a few more encore songs again, even if you are ready for the CD to be done and start the next one...

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Picked this up on vinyl when it first came out.

It was great to finally see them live at Progfest '95.

Just listened to it from the link above. I like it. I'll keep an eye out for the CD.
    Last edited by Lopez; 08-18-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yep -- they were definitely one of the most hyped bands that year. For the most part I thought they lived up to it, though seeing them live was a bit odd because apparently they had two "classic" lineups and both came out and performed! There was some overlap but as I recall there were two guitar players alternating -- not sure who else. I'm sure it was a total buzz for a band from Hungary to come out to LA to play an album they had recorded in the early 80s during the Bad Old Days.

To me the album is a throwback to classic 70s Euro-prog but with the benefits of 80s recording technology and later model synths and sequencers.
    I obviously wasn't there, but the live double album lists two guitarists and bassists, with Csaba Bogdán and Gábor Kisszábo being the players on the featured album. I agree the album is a classic. Solaris are never really very complex but their one trick of coming up with a good melody and developing between heavy riff sections or guitar, synth and flute solos never worked again as well for them as it did here. All the melodies, not just those of the title suite, seem almost like a variation of a single theme, giving the album great coherence, yet there is enough variation and serious energy to their playing that the album doesn't outstay its welcome (overlong and inconsistent being the two greatest complaints I have about 1990, despite its great individual moments). The use of contemporary synth sounds gives it a distinct flavour and edge too. Not quite as "high-tech" sounding as East, but rather striking a delicate balance between the 70s type of prog sounds with 80s technology. They got it right, IMO.

People complain about the awful digital synthesizer sounds that were overused in the eighties; well I think the swept-filter and portamento pitch-bend sound of seventies synthesizers were way more annoying and just as ubiquitous.

I love this album and return to it frequently.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Love seeing them at Progfest 95, I had the Martian Chronicles for many years before that, Greg W. turned me onto them.

IMO it is one of the best Prog releases of the 80's!

Somehow I want to love this album but only end up liking it.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

This one has just never clicked for me. Interesting to see the same for a number of other people, as my perception was that it is normally raved about.

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Somehow I want to love this album but only end up liking it.
    I agree. I *like* it, but there are other Hungarian (or indeed Eastern bloc) progressive albums from the same era that work far better with me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM