Thread: The Prog Magazine Radio Show On Demand (Excellent Stuff)

The Prog Magazine Radio Show On Demand (Excellent Stuff)

For anyone who missed it, Prog Magazine has an Internet radio show every Saturday and Sunday, and there are many episodes available to listen to on demand. Of particular interest are the recent shows with guest hosts filling in while Phil Wilding (the normal host) was on vacation. These hosts include Steve Hogarth, Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness (the last two did the show together). It's really interesting to hear the artists' picks and their comments about the songs and artists played.

SW and Mr. Bowness in particular have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of prog, which led to some very interesting discussions, as they rattled off obscure band references at the drop of a hat and drew connections to prog from genres I wouldn't have expected. I also learned things I never knew, like the fact that Steven Wilson was never a huge Genesis fan and didn't know the name of the lead singer of Kansas (but Tim Bowness did). Other shows hosted by Phil Wilding feature interviews with prog heavies like Ian Anderson and Ray Shulman.

Here is the link to the on demand episodes (you have to create an account to listen to them, or you can log in with a social media account):

http://www.teamrock.com/radio/on-dem...-magazine-show

No replies when I posted this last year... oh well. If you missed this and have any interest, MP3s of the first 30 Prog magazine radio shows are now being torrented. This includes the shows in which Steve Hogarth and Steven Wilson / Tim Bowness guest hosted, which I think were filled with interesting commentary and discussions.

Since I'm am unsure of the legality of this, I will refrain from posting a link. If you are interested, send me a private message, or search a certain swashbuckling-themed torrent site for Prog magazine radio. BTW, in September of this year, they changed the time slot of the show to Wednesdays. There are currently very few shows available to hear on demand on the site. All the old episodes are still on the servers, if you know where to look.
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 10-18-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Is this the same Phil Wilding as the one in Phil and Phil's Perfect 10 podcasts?
    The other Phil being Phil Jupitus and the subject matter whilst mostly amusing often ended up being onanism.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Is this the same Phil Wilding as the one in Phil and Phil's Perfect 10 podcasts?
    The other Phil being Phil Jupitus and the subject matter whilst mostly amusing often ended up being onanism.
    Yep, that's the guy. He definitely injects comedy into the proceedings on the Prog radio show, mostly directed at the excesses of the genre. Still, it's not all taking the piss, he seems to be knowledgeable and a fan of the music. He's also respectful in the interviews with prog legends. His speech impediment is rather distracting, though.