Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ALCO Frisbass - new great french duo

Is it possible to buy this on CD? I've only found a download for sale so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Is it possible to buy this on CD? I've only found a download for sale so far.
    It is released by AltrOck/Fading, and their main format is CD. Wayside will have this soon, I suppose - so you can get it there. Or directly from the label when it's ready.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

http://altrockproductions.bandcamp.com/

Or

http://altrock.highsite.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yup, as well as the followup, Extra-Lucide (I believe)?
    Voyeur Extra Lucide... both Breant albums are great... havent spun them in forever. Long overdue... I'll dig em out tomorrow
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Voyeur Extra Lucide... both Breant albums are great... havent spun them in forever. Long overdue... I'll dig em out tomorrow
    Dunno i love Sons Optiques and never cared about the 2nd one despite the magma members onboard

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Bought the download today - seems to be an excellent album!

Any love for the new Alco Frisbass 'Le Mystere du gue Pucelle'?

I like it a lot. Certainly on par with the previous two and maybe I like the new one even a bit better. Not dramatically different or particular original but perfect comfort prog for me.
    Any other thoughts?

https://alcofrisbass.bandcamp.com/al...du-gue-pucelle

I think this album has its own thread or was discussed on the Recent release thread

IMHO, the best of their three albums

Still waiting for a (probably unlikely) CD release
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I really like their first two, but I'm not even bothering to listen to this unless it comes out on CD. If it does, I'll buy it for sure.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It's excellent and every bit as good as their first two, but it won't get many plays for me unfortunately, because unlike the first two it is not on CD, and I don't listen to music on my computer or other devices much. Just as a way of sampling new stuff. I'll be first in line to buy it if it's released physically.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Why not download the flacs from bandcamp and burn the cd yourself?

I am happy with digital only. I have no more storage space for cds anyway.

Nope. I buy and collect CDs, not files that I burn to CD-R.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am happy with digital only. I have no more storage space for cds anyway.
    Because we (who said we want CDs) don't want FLACs. We want proper CDs with proper artwork and packaging. You're happy with digital files, we're not. Simple as that.

Like it or not, without a physical release, there's going to be little to no interest on sites like this where so many have at least some semblance of a collector mentality. By going digital only, I think this band is alienating much of it admittedly tiny audience. It's their choice, I'm not screaming at them to do a CD run. I'm just saying that I personally have no interest in releases that don't come out in that medium, and clearly other feel the same. That may also be the likely answer to your question as to why this release has gotten so little attention here.

Bill

I like it a lot. Certainly on par with the previous two and maybe I like the new one even a bit better. Not dramatically different or particular original but perfect comfort prog for me.
    Any other thoughts?

https://alcofrisbass.bandcamp.com/al...du-gue-pucelle
    I love it! I think it's their best, surely their most elaborate and intriguing effort. For me it needed repeated concentrated listens to unveil its secrets. Histoire Diffuse is my favorite piece, it reminded me of the complex Alain Gowen compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Because we (who said we want CDs) don't want FLACs. We want proper CDs with proper artwork and packaging. You're happy with digital files, we're not. Simple as that.

Like it or not, without a physical release, there's going to be little to no interest on sites like this where so many have at least some semblance of a collector mentality. By going digital only, I think this band is alienating much of it admittedly tiny audience. It's their choice, I'm not screaming at them to do a CD run. I'm just saying that I personally have no interest in releases that don't come out in that medium, and clearly other feel the same. That may also be the likely answer to your question as to why this release has gotten so little attention here.

Bill
    Well, I'm on the digital files side of the equation, and I know that I'm not alone. Nothing against those that love physical product, but I think that "little to no interest on sites like this", is not accurate. At all. Plus, sooner or later, a lot of bands may not even be able to afford to make CDs...the money loss may be too off-putting, unless they can sell a very healthy number of product. Just curious, and in the nicest way possible, a question to those that still love CDs: If the majority of bands stop making them, are you just going to stop buying/listening to tons of great new music?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Just curious, and in the nicest way possible, a question to those that still love CDs: If the majority of bands stop making them, are you just going to stop buying/listening to tons of great new music?
    Yes.

I have more music in my collection already to last me the rest of my life without ever getting bored. I love continually buying new music too, and I've supported musicians my entire life, it's honestly my only hobby and the only thing I spend my disposable income on. But for better or worse, I simply am not interested in files. It isn't part of the experience for me, no matter how many people tell me why it shouldn't matter. I'm a collector; I look at these things, I admire what I've amassed, I take long forgotten items off the shelf, I read the booklets and appreciate any little quirks that might make them unique. I flip through hundreds of them at the local indie shop and chat with the owner about the newest albums and boxed sets. I excitedly open the latest shipment that arrives in the mail. And above all else, I put them in my player and listen to them on my stereo, as I have done since 1990 (it was vinyl and cassettes before that). Scrolling through a digital library doesn't have any of that appeal for me, and I don't feel remotely the same joy when I do. I know the music is the most important thing - but it's not the only thing, for me. It's a bit like telling a stamp or coin collector they should just look at digital photos of them online instead.

CDs aren't going away yet anyway. I must have purchased fifty new titles this year alone. If they continue to dwindle over the coming years, so be it. I'll just have that many more to coast through the remainder of my life with.

^^I feel the same way about books. I'll never switch to kindle...I need a book in my hand.

And you are right, CDs aren't going away just yet. However, Fernando Molinari, an awesome bassist from Brazil...excellent fretless player, releases a brand new prog/fusion album, with high profile guests such as Marco Minnemann. But it only seems to be available on bandcamp as a download, and on Spotify and the like. The advance tracks that I've heard have been killer. Not trying to change anyone's mind at all, but I'm sure glad that I'll be able to listen to this one.

Anyways, back to Alco Frisbass. It is an excellent album. I agree that it is their best yet. Tons of great keys, and interlocking parts. A really satisfying journey.

Neil

Just curious, and in the nicest way possible, a question to those that still love CDs: If the majority of bands stop making them, are you just going to stop buying/listening to tons of great new music?
    I'll just listen to whatever they out up for streaming for free, until it lasts. (I've got tons of music on my shelves begging for my attention)

But in the current state of affairs, this means not listening in the car or the living room. Only when working/surfing on the computer
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think that "little to no interest on sites like this", is not accurate.
    There was already little to no interest for bands outside of a few mainstream, big name groups. If there is a faction that are turned away by no physical product - and I believe this is a meaningful faction in a place like this - that will further reduce the audience and interest for these niche bands. I think if Alco Frisbass had done a CD for this album it would have had more traction. "More" is hard to quantity, but I certainly remember much more buzz about their last album when it came out. What happened? The logical explanation to me seems the lack of physical product.

Plus, sooner or later, a lot of bands may not even be able to afford to make CDs...the money loss may be too off-putting, unless they can sell a very healthy number of product.
    It's not an especially expensive undertaking to produce 300-500 CDs. You'd come close to breaking even if you sold 100 of them wholesale. What's off-putting is the small number of people who are interested in buying them, but in my experience that's even worse for digital sales, especially for little, niche bands like Alco Frisbass. It's a wonder to me they even bothered.

I'll second Progatron... yes. It's like you with the books, which I largely agree with you about, though there are some things I'm OK reading on Kindle. I have enough music to last a lifetime. I'm grabbing up what I like that comes out on CDs, and when CDs disappear, so will I. Poof.

^^ I actually thought that there has been more of a buzz with this album. Anyways, not saying that you are wrong, but I will say that a friend of mine who is part of a project that released an album this year, said that the group decided it was not financially viable to make CDs. Which could be more of a Canadian thing, with our weak dollar, but still enough bands...even in prog world lol, seem to be not always making CDs anymore.

Also, don't disappear, Bill!

Neil

^^ I actually thought that there has been more of a buzz with this album. Anyways, not saying that you are wrong, but I will say that a friend of mine who is part of a project that released an album this year, said that the group decided it was not financially viable to make CDs. Which could be more of a Canadian thing, with our weak dollar, but still enough bands...even in prog world lol, seem to be not always making CDs anymore.

Also, don't disappear, Bill!

Neil
    It's a changing world for sure and as an old guy that has seen more change than anyone on PE, I can honestly say that physical media has no place in my collection. In fact, a collection is no longer a relevant term. It's sad that I no longer "collect" but to me, this is the new reality. I do not buy CD's or any other physical media due to storage issues, however, it's no coincidence that digital downloads are preferable to me and possibly would have gone that route regardless of space limitations. As Progatron said he has enough music to last a lifetime...I believe that this is the case with most collectors and I'm no exception. The music has always been the most important thing to me. Not the media form it takes or whether it's remastered, or even if it's a cover, the MUSIC is the key to enjoyment. Digital gives me the opportunity to listen to the vast selection of music available in today's world without the physical hassle. If I hear something I like, I buy it, so...if it's not available digitally that's just too bad, after all, I do have enough music to last a lifetime and at my time of life, that's not a lot of gigabytes.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Well, I'm on the digital files side of the equation, and I know that I'm not alone. Nothing against those that love physical product, but I think that "little to no interest on sites like this", is not accurate. At all. Plus, sooner or later, a lot of bands may not even be able to afford to make CDs...the money loss may be too off-putting, unless they can sell a very healthy number of product. Just curious, and in the nicest way possible, a question to those that still love CDs: If the majority of bands stop making them, are you just going to stop buying/listening to tons of great new music?

Neil
    No - I buy very few Cds these days but I still buy new music and will continue to do so until my hearing gives out. The cost of postage makes buying CDs from the US prohibitive, so downloads means its still accessible. I do still prefer listening to CDs, but the majority are home made CDrs. Recording my own gives me the flexibility to edit the originals, missing out tracks, shortening others and combining albums with singles and other odd tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    The cost of postage makes buying CDs from the US prohibitive, so downloads means its still accessible.
    My problem here in Canada, too. Whether from Europe, the US or just about anywhere. Living on this side of the pond, fine US based vendors such as Laser's Edge and Cuneiform are somewhat cheaper, but still not cheap enough for the amount of music that I buy per year, these days. If I catch a band on tour, and they are promoting their new album, then for sure I will still buy a CD from them.

Neil

I'll definitely buy this album, thanks for sharing.
    I only buy CDs to complete CD collections I had already started, it connects me to the good old experience of having a new physical product. Alco Frisbass are part of my digital collection, and I'm happy with that too, although the listening experience has lost a little bit of magic.