Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ALCO Frisbass - new great french duo

It was in my Brussels mailbox last night, but I don't know when it got there, since I was in the NL for the week. Shipped last friday from Paris, though - the day after I ordered it

I spun it three times last night and second time this morong.

Love these plasticbox-less releases.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Mine arrived today. Very well packaged. The album is released by the band indeed. The code printed on the spine of the CD says "alco2022-CD01". Would you folks consider this a 2021 or 2022 release? I think 2021 even though the CD was issued in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Would you folks consider this a 2021 or 2022 release? I think 2021 even though the CD was issued in 2022.
    I always go by year of first version, which in this case was digital, so 2021.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Gotta hit this.

Sounds great so far. Personally I think a drummer would really add to their overall vibe. The programming is "perfect" but the feel is slightly metronomic and toms /cymbal ringing is missing for me. Outstanding writing.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sounds great so far. Personally I think a drummer would really add to their overall vibe. The programming is "perfect" but the feel is slightly metronomic and toms /cymbal ringing is missing for me. Outstanding writing.
    Yeah, this is the deal-breaker for me. I cannot get into this.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Psyched!! Just ordered, and got the new Yang as well. Very excited about both these releases. Thank YOU!

^^^^^^

Thank you back, Bill!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I never actually noticed this. Good for me, I guess, but I agree it would be nice if they had a real drummer.

Overall it's a really good album. I think that the first three tracks are absolutely perfect, and then it falls off a bit for me. Still a really nice record.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I never actually noticed this. Good for me, I guess, but I agree it would be nice if they had a real drummer.
    I don't mind the absence of drums - which means they have done a terrific job in the programming department. It somehow serves the music well, as an aesthetic proposition.

The album was easily in my top 10 of previous year, and I believe it's their best. The music is denser, full of intriguing details and juicy arrangements. An excellent achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I don't mind the absence of drums - which means they have done a terrific job in the programming department. It somehow serves the music well, as an aesthetic proposition.
    Indeed, for the longest time just listening to the snare work I was convinced they must have hired Pongo McPherson - a legend on the West Sussex prog scene who beat the skins for Lambert Simnel’s Astrolabe 1968-72 and later was part of almost-super group Onyx Dildo. As the cognoscenti will be aware his session appearances have to be anonymous due to a typo in a recording contract that means he is exclusive to Dodo’s Egg Records until 2976.

If Cutler or Kerman played on it, you might notice .

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Indeed, for the longest time just listening to the snare work I was convinced they must have hired Pongo McPherson - a legend on the West Sussex prog scene who beat the skins for Lambert Simnel’s Astrolabe 1968-72 and later was part of almost-super group Onyx Dildo. As the cognoscenti will be aware his session appearances have to be anonymous due to a typo in a recording contract that means he is exclusive to Dodo’s Egg Records until 2976.
    This place is falling apart, and I'm a part. It's like a bad fart or my dad's tart, attending a beer-vending establishment for embellishment of mad dart.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

The album was easily in my top 10 of previous year, and I believe it's their best. The music is denser, full of intriguing details and juicy arrangements. An excellent achievement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Last night I was stuck in a monster traffic jam south of Rotterdam in the middle of the storn (trucks had overturned - most likely empty or nearly trucks) fir five hours .

All I had for music for 8 hours (full trip) was the three Alco albums and the second last Magic Bus (their best by a margin), so I got an amazing shot of Frisbass. Gave me the time to pay attention to the programmed drumming, and if the 80's had that rather than those rhythm boxes, they would've been better remembered nowadays.

Indeed, if I didn't know there was no real drummer, I'd probably not have noticed for a long time still.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Last night I was stuck in a monster traffic jam in the middle of the storn (trucks had overturned - most likely empty or nearly trucks).

All I had for music for 5 hours was the three Alco albums and the second last Magic Bus (their best by a margin), so I got an amazing shot of Frisbass. Gave me the time to pay attention to the programmed drumming, and if the 80's had that rather than those rhythm boxes, they would've been better remembered nowadays.

Indeed, if I didn't know there was no real drummer, I'd probably not have noticed for a long time still.
    I think it is completely different concept to use rhythm boxes and drum machines to create new kind of soundscapes than simulating the drum kit as Alco Frisbass has done here. I prefer the former.

However it is my problem that I can't enjoy this kind of production and I am happy for you that can.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^ I basically agree. But did you ever hear the Jap avant-progressive band Amygdala? On their first release they applied a highly detailed programming of percussive textures, and it sounded alright. Still, on their second record, they had a live drummer at hand - and the difference is staggering. I don't think it's as much a case of functionality as of personality in assessing the "inner voice" of music.

There's that insane album by XhohX, with programmed drumming et al. - yet that one is also indeed intended as a transhumanist mechanical sound. There was also a fantastic Mexican duo called Erehia some 20 years back who applied extremely well done programming of percussion, but they utilized a MIDI-concept exclusively, meaning that the intense start/stop-dynamics were transferred from percussive parts they themselves had recorded and then inferred to the material.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I basically agree. But did you ever hear the Jap avant-progressive band Amygdala? On their first release they applied a highly detailed programming of percussive textures, and it sounded alright. Still, on their second record, they had a live drummer at hand - and the difference is staggering. I don't think it's as much a case of functionality as of personality in assessing the "inner voice" of music.
    I have debut album of Amygdala but it has been maybe 10 years since I last listened it. Thanks for the reminding! I will take a listen some day soon. I haven't hear any other album by them. Maybe because the debut left me little underwhelmed.

I never said though that I didn't notice. I had already noticed in Bateleur. And already there I caught myself actually enjoying some of the drum-fills. Which unsettled me quite a bit, for obvious reasons.

They've done it in style in my opinion.

Last night I was stuck in a monster traffic jam south of Rotterdam in the middle of the storn (trucks had overturned - most likely empty or nearly trucks) fir five hours .

All I had for music for 8 hours (full trip) was the three Alco albums and the second last Magic Bus (their best by a margin), so I got an amazing shot of Frisbass. Gave me the time to pay attention to the programmed drumming, and if the 80's had that rather than those rhythm boxes, they would've been better remembered nowadays.

Let me know your favorite Alco Frisbass album. I'll check it out. If I like it, I'll buy all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Let me know your favorite Alco Frisbass album. I'll check it out. If I like it, I'll buy all three.
    difficult to say, because the debut is only a duo, but Chfab sings a tad, scats a bit and blows in a flute, something he doesn't do in the other two albums.

The next two are a trio affair, and they rmain in the same sonic sphere, not straying from what they started with, despite having an extra pair of hands at disposal. The spoundscapes are often Canterbury-ish.

all three albums are seeing the Minimum Vital Payssan brothers involved somehow. I don't have a favourite, though.

I did gave the debut the 5th rank in my best 2015, as I did for their second in my top 2018, and I actually gave it top spot for the third in 2021, which might be a tad exagerated or relative, because it's facing a weaker competition (IMHO)

I've bought Le Mystere du Gue Pucelle cd and enjoying it very much.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I've also been enjoying it. Not sure it's my favorite of theirs, but it's a totally solid listen that has grown on me with each listen. Super happy they put it out on CD.

Bill

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've also been enjoying it. Not sure it's my favorite of theirs, but it's a totally solid listen that has grown on me with each listen. Super happy they put it out on CD.

Bill
    Amen to that!

I still rank their debut as number one, but this one is just a tick below it in my mind.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Next month Maraude Automnale by Paskinel will be released. It's the debut-album from Patrick "PASKINEL" Dufour, member of ALCO FRISBASS.