Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: In praise of sepia toned Scandanavian prog from the 90s to the present day

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    there is no fucken way I'm buying a frigging cassette... Do they think they're Ozric Tentacles in the 80's or what??
    The double vinyl contains their entire output. I don't know whether it's on CD yet, or if ever. Norway has a large hipster community, but has always had a large collector's community separate from this. Vinyl is still selling rather big time here (used and new), while CDs certainly aren't.

Jordsjø are alright. They're not trying to be "truly progressive", which would arguably be somehwat futile these days to begin with, as the "true proggers" in that case wouldn't recognize the music and take it to heart. It's a nice 2LP, if not a very relevant one. The entre enterprise of rock/"prog"/blah-blah will expire with the vanishing of physical formats anyway, so these are the last days.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nordagust just popped up in my Bandcamp. I'm digging it. Was this a one-off? Released on CD only?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nordagust just popped up in my Bandcamp. I'm digging it. Was this a one-off? Released on CD only?
    Yes and yes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes and yes.
    Thanks and thanks.

Have to say that I never really warmed to that Nordagust. I actually tried to listen again last night after your (Frank's) HU, but my position hasn't changed. It just doesn't seem to take off to anywhere, and the general impression of the whole thing is that of unintended understatement and, well, a loss for directions.

However, there was another Norwegian band some almost 20 years back called Kvazar who did something reasonably similar to Nordagust, and their sole release (on Musea, no less) has actually stood the test of time fairly well. And it -does- sport that sepia-tone.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^By the end of it I sort of agree with you. Got off to a decent start - vocals were slightly melodramatic but I could handke that - but then seem to meander without a ton direction. The mood sucked me in but then I was a little let down. Ill check out that rec, thanks. I'm still spinning the Jordsjø albums, I know they are somewhat "controversial" as well buy there are some fine compositions on those rekerds.

Kvazar is really good and - what is most important - proggier than Nordgasp. The prog component is about 58, 34%, which makes it eligible for the sub genre (no hyphen!) Seppton Scandy Prog.

I concur, but -zum- of dat prog quota (58,34%) belongs to otha sub genre like space-symph, post-(heavy)meta and gnome-dome. That leaves perhaps only 53,012% to true prog sub bugger.

re: Jordsjø. I find their latest full-length, Nattfiolen, one of the finest Norwegian albums overall from last year. They don't "overdo" anything, there's just plainness and a simple attitude to concepts and ideas, leaving melodies and arrangements to be judged by functionality alone. And they succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

re: Jordsjø. I find their latest full-length, Nattfiolen, one of the finest Norwegian albums overall from last year. They don't "overdo" anything, there's just plainness and a simple attitude to concepts and ideas, leaving melodies and arrangements to be judged by functionality alone. And they succeed.
    I only agree with about 100% of this. The rest of it I don't and its rubbish.

Just revisited Nordagust, and I liked it better than back them

Kvazae had two albums - the second being Lullaby, which is generally better appreciated, but I prefer their debut's intimacy.

As for Jordsjo, I'm still waiting for the Elds Mark album, two months after ordering it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I liked it better than back them

Kvazae had two albums

As for Jordsjo, I'm still waiting for the Elds Mark album, two months after ordering it.
    Kvazar had two albums too, just like Kvazae. Actually, I believe Kvazae had twenty-two ones. I don't like than back them. But when that Elds Mark album arrives, it will do so in the shape of an old BASF cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Kvazar had two albums too, just like Kvazae. Actually, I believe Kvazae had twenty-two ones. I don't like than back them. But when that Elds Mark album arrives, it will do so in the shape of an old BASF cassette.
    I like Elds Mark better them Jords-Yo, despite than letting down my friend Hughes. Kvazae is too obskure, but maybe they weren't prog enough to be included in Progarchides, like than Kvazar were.

Elds Mark arrived here the middle of last week, so they have been sent out.

Is Elds Milk the Jordsjø guys?

The Elds Mark clear vinyl would be around $50 shipping to the US. Damn.

Jordsjo Nattfiolen is a good album indeed, as is the Elds Mark
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Guys, you had me literally lol'ing here.

I like the Jordsjø album a lot, and also their older stuff (that 2-disc collection, Jord I think?), and keep meaning to get the Elds Mark disc too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Elds Mark arrived here the middle of last week, so they have been sent out.
    just got mine today...

It's housed in a jewel box and I was under the impression it would be a carboard thingie.

Is it the case for everyone?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

just got mine today...

It's housed in a jewel box and I was under the impression it would be a carboard thingie.

Is it the case for everyone?
    Mine was in a jewel case.

Bill

Anglagard hasn't done anything for quite some time now. Does anyone have any news from that camp?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks to the discussion here about Anekdoten, I listened yesterday to "Until All the Ghosts Are Gone," which for some reason I'd given short shrift. It's an excellent Anekdoten album! Much more like the first two than most of the later albums. I love it! Then I started listening to From Within, and that one sounded much better than I'd remembered. It's very good. I'm excited to be dipping into these releases again, lots of good stuff!

I saw Anekdoten once but I can't quite remember which festival it was at. One of the Progscapes in Baltimore? Or was it Progfest in LA? Anyway, it was a great show. Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure it was Progscape.

They played NF2000 if you were there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pretty sure I wasn't at that one. I think 2007 was the first one I went to. Damn, I miss NF!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I saw Anekdoten once but I can't quite remember which festival it was at. One of the Progscapes in Baltimore? Or was it Progfest in LA? Anyway, it was a great show. Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure it was Progscape.
    They played Progfest in LA in '94. The same year also had Anglagard, Echolyn, Sebastian Hardie, etc... That was the first festival I attended. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks to the discussion here about Anekdoten, I listened yesterday to "Until All the Ghosts Are Gone," which for some reason I'd given short shrift. It's an excellent Anekdoten album! Much more like the first two than most of the later albums. I love it! Then I started listening to From Within, and that one sounded much better than I'd remembered. It's very good. I'm excited to be dipping into these releases again, lots of good stuff!

'Ghosts' is a great album man.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson