Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of sepia toned Scandanavian prog from the 90s to the present day

my favs (most already mentioned) going back to 1990

Anglagard
    Anekdoten (the first 3)
    Bodin
    Johan Nilson
    Grand General
    Tribute
    Isildurs Bane
    Johansson(s)
    Groovector
    Hidria Spacefolk
    Spacious Mind
    Hellborg
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I am surprised nobody mentioned Tusmorke yet. They certainly seem to fit the bill.
    Recently released and still available at progstreaming. Great album!

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I believe if it's the early 90s the answer is yes, but if it's late-90s or last decade it's neo-sepia.
    Neo-sepia

A new cathegory is born.
    I suppose Hedningarna belongs there

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am surprised nobody mentioned Tusmorke yet. They certainly seem to fit the bill.
    Recently released and still available at progstreaming. Great album!
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'd imagine they can count in Finnish. "Yksi, kaksi, kolme, neljä..."

"Nine lives" is great album.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I really liked this one. Thanks.
    ( Hexvessel - Woods to Conjure )

One of my faves.

More melancolia from Scandinavia

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Cool.one view at youtube.Great song btw.

Neo-sepia

A new cathegory is born.
    I suppose Hedningarna belongs there
    Hedningarna and Värttinä are not my thing.I prefer Wimme (fin) and Kampec Dolores ( Hungary )

Ok, but we should not get that cheerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The OP list seemed to give a hint that it was talking of what's called scandinavian 90's & 00's retro prog
    You may want to exclude White Willow, as their leader has expressed here in the past that he thinks they should be classified as Zeuhl(even if no one else agrees)

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Hedningarna and Värttinä are not my thing.I prefer Wimme (fin) and Kampec Dolores ( Hungary )
    Wasn't Wimme on one of Hedningarnas albums (nr. 4)?

There is also Mari Boine...

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    You may want to exclude White Willow, as their leader has expressed here in the past that he thinks they should be classified as Zeuhl(even if no one else agrees)
    Excuse me??? I have never said anything like it … I like zeuhl as much as the next guy, but White Willow is a symphonic rock band.

I don't know to what extent we are consistently sepia-toned, but I think at least the first few albums qualify for what the OP is talking about.

Wasn't Wimme on one of Hedningarnas albums (nr. 4)?

Probably.Wimme is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Excuse me??? I have never said anything like it … I like zeuhl as much as the next guy, but White Willow is a symphonic rock band.

I don't know to what extent we are consistently sepia-toned, but I think at least the first few albums qualify for what the OP is talking about.
    My mistake. But there was someone here, a year or so ago, that claimed WW as Zeuhl, which I thought laughable. I just assumed it to be you, I suppose. Would you classify WW as retro, then?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Uzva
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    My mistake. But there was someone here, a year or so ago, that claimed WW as Zeuhl, which I thought laughable. I just assumed it to be you, I suppose. Would you classify WW as retro, then?
    OK, it was certainly not me … and I agree it is laughable. Would I classify White Willow as retro? Maybe the first couple of albums, but it's a long time since I thought of us as sounding 70s. We use vintage instruments, especially our keys are all pre-1980something, but personally I don't think I have entered a studio thinking "let's make it sound like the 70s" since recording our first album. I don't know. How DOES one classify White Willow? Are we retro, contempo, sepia-colored or technicolored … beats me.

When I think of something that has sepia hues, is Scandinavian, progressive and 90s, all I can think of is Landberk's 1st album. Even our first album was pretty colourful and bright in spite of the melancholy and the retro trappings.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    A band from Finland that never good much praise, but I really like them (sadly they folded after 1 and 1/2 album)

Porcelain Moon (I think that this track is sung in swedish but the they are from Finland)

Very nice.I was not aware of them.

How about the Norwegian band Thule? These guys live close to the nordkapp and their music is as dark as the polar night.

From the album Natt (1990)

From the album LIquid (2005)
    Last edited by thedunno; 08-21-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Wow... is the rest of the album (is that their only one?) of the same ilk??

Liked this one too.

Is the timespan from the ninetines to now long enough to develop some kind of sepia?
    this was not my invention, but the OP's... but I liked it well enough

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I believe if it's the early 90s the answer is yes, but if it's late-90s or last decade it's neo-sepia.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Indeed.

I'd say your debut album is definitely close to sepia... I could never get in the second one, but it's not nearly as retro, though it's nt neo either... From Sacrament onwards, I'd say that your music has veered a mix of neo, modern and retro... I haven't heard the last two, though.

OK, it was certainly not me … and I agree it is laughable. Would I classify White Willow as retro? Maybe the first couple of albums, but it's a long time since I thought of us as sounding 70s. We use vintage instruments, especially our keys are all pre-1980something, but personally I don't think I have entered a studio thinking "let's make it sound like the 70s" since recording our first album. I don't know. How DOES one classify White Willow? Are we retro, contempo, sepia-colored or technicolored … beats me.

When I think of something that has sepia hues, is Scandinavian, progressive and 90s, all I can think of is Landberk's 1st album. Even our first album was pretty colourful and bright in spite of the melancholy and the retro trappings.
    as answered just above
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Wow... is the rest of the album (is that their only one?) of the same ilk??
    ( Sammal: Kylmää usvaa )

It's a bit more heavy rockin' vibe overall.Sound of the album is purposely right from the garage.
    They have released also excellent "No 2" ,five-track MCD/EP (45rpm).

...yes there is.