Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bootleg on Wayside ?

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    So many forward looking musicians,in England,Germany..everywhere,were putting both ears on anything from Zappa/MoI in this era.Soft Machine, Henry Cow...all these cats(and many more) went to school on this stuff.
    "Sometimes we even are progressive/And we listen with attention/To the Mothers of Invention."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My dumb ass, i totally forgot about the existence of Road Tapes from 1968.I was so blown away by Ahead Of Their Time(1968) that i was intrigued by any live material from that year,official, or not.Which is why i sprang for the Keyhole boot.

Any comments/opinions on the sound quality/performance quality of Road Tapes 1968?(i'm buying it whatever).
    Last edited by walt; 08-13-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Any comments/opinions on the sound quality/performance quality of Road Tapes 1968?(i'm buying it whatever).
    I've got it. Haven't played it ages. Will listen and report back.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I've got it. Haven't played it ages. Will listen and report back.
    Ages! It's not even 2 years old yet. Note to self: I still have to pick up RTv1 and RTv2.

Also, Electric Aunt Jemima, Our Man in Nirvana, The Ark and Tis the Season to Be Jelly are all officially-available releases from roughly the same time period and range from at least listenable to pretty good-sounding. You may end up needing to settle for downloads, though.

chalkpie
    How bizarre is this.....I grabbed YCDTOSA Vol. 5 disc 1 for my drive today! Haven't listened to that is a million and a half years, then I see this thread now. I guess weirder shit has happened - but not for me for today.

I love the Mozart Piano Sonata with bizarre chicken noises and grunts, and the falsettos of Preston and Roy Estrada on "Chocolate Halvah" - f'ing hilarious! Some little FZ guitar solo gems as well.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    For the past couple of years, knowing what we now know about Roy Estrada it's kind of taken some of the fun out of listening to the MOI for me.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Steve F., while not presuming to give you any business advice...
    If you genuinely have a question to ask Steve F why wouldn't you PM him? Taking this approach seems odd.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

The sound quality is very decent. As for the performance I really cannot judge it as I have no other live recordings from that period. Compared to contemporary psychedelic live rock it shines, however if I put it up against any subsequent Frank's band lineup from the 70s I have mixed feelings. My main gripe is that the rhythm section does not sound too confident when handling more demanding segments, especially in "Orange Country Lumber Truck", "Suite Exists of Holiday in Berlin Full Blown" and "Octandre".

I am really curious about the boot we are discussing here to be able to check whether it was something incidental. If not I will be tempted to admit that Frank was damn right about disbanding his first group!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    If you genuinely have a question to ask Steve F why wouldn't you PM him? Taking this approach seems odd.
    But then how would we learn that the next mail order at Wayside was overdue?

The classic "shoot the messenger" response.
    There is indeed a question mark in the thread title, denoting surprise. But there isn't any in my post, since it is a statement, not a question ("genuine" or not).
    It is not a personal matter, hence no PM. His business operates in public, so the discussion is public as well.
    Although I don't know him, in my opinion Steve is obviously a decent chap - otherwise, why even ask ? I have no doubt that a considered response to this situation will be made.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 08-14-2014 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    The classic "shoot the messenger" response.
    There is indeed a question mark in the thread title, denoting surprise. But there isn't any in my post, since it is a statement, not a question ("genuine" or not).
    It is not a personal matter, hence no PM. His business operates in public, so the discussion is public as well.
    Although I don't know him, in my opinion Steve is obviously a decent chap - otherwise, why even ask ? I have no doubt that a considered response to this situation will be made.
    Steve F is able to defend himself should he consider it worth doing. For myself, I am simply pointing out that your post is grubby.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Steve F is able to defend himself should he consider it worth doing. For myself, I am simply pointing out that your post is grubby.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    "Sometimes we even are progressive/And we listen with attention/To the Mothers of Invention."
    Nice Supersister quote.

Steve F is able to defend himself should he consider it worth doing. For myself, I am simply pointing out that your purposefully inflammatory public post is grubby.
    Added a couple of words & some emphasis! Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Responses acknowledged.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 08-14-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Added a couple of words & some emphasis! Thanks!
    I have to agree it's a low blow. The original poster could have just emailed you for clarification or maybe it wouldn't be worth responding to.