Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We are all amateurs...

This is about the best thing I've read about the "Blues Mafia" cats, the vintage blues record collectors who devoted their lives to finding this stuff. A bit long but well worth the effort:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rd=relbias%3Ar
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Back in the early 80s, every so often I'd hear about "this old guy who has a great record collection." He lived in a town in the general region but nobody who mentioned him knew, or could remember, his name. While visiting a vintage guitar shop in that town I asked the shop-owner if by chance he knew of a local who reputedly had a great record collection. He said, "You probably mean Joe. Yeah, he lives just outside town." I got a phone number and called him. He invited me over to his modest home and took me to the basement. Here's what I encountered (although the collection was larger at that time):

http://www.dustandgrooves.com/joe-bussard-frederick-ma/
    His ideas about jazz are more or less the same as my dad's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    His ideas about jazz are more or less the same as my dad's.
    If you're going to become any kind of obsessive/compulsive completist, you must limit your collecting to a well-established timeframe that is well-in-the-past. Joe may not even realize he's shut himself off from the vast majority of great music in the world. 1929 to 1933? Those were economic hardship years, and most objective observers wouldn't place that timeframe at the peak of anything positive.

To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What the hell? He's standing on his records, he obviously doesn't care about them!
    ^^^^^hopefully those are the disco or country records!