Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AOR Prog?

Thanks Scott. I saw AL on 'American Idol' in dispatches and thought he definitely had something back then...more than most of the bellowing 'divas' they have on there and our versions of those shows.

Laughed at your comment on Brian May's solo. He's been doing what seems like the same damned solo for decades, with all the effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought it was excellent. It was exactly what it was billed as: "Queen + Adam Lambert." It wasn't "Queen" with Adam Lambert filling-in for Freddie Mercury, though he did a very admirable job of that. But he often made some choices that clearly were meant to distance himself from the original albums. He can hit all of the notes, and flamboyant enough on his own that he can be himself and still get away with something like "Killer Queen" without imitating Freddie. But he did all of that with his own voice. And, while no one can hold an audience in the palm of their hand like Freddie could, Lambert was an excellent performer. I was originally all geeked-up to see Brian May, whom I've never seen before, but his 20-minute solo was easily the lowlight of the night - calling it "self-indulgent" would be a compliment. But overall, a very entertaining rock show.
    Quoted for truth. I saw the Atlantic City show, and thought it was great.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    I break those bands down more than you do. For me, I name a certain genre Arena Rock, whose common characteristics are: slickly produced, anthem-type lyrics, chords, and a type of facelessness, all of which are made to be as commercially popular as possible:

Such bands for ME (YMMV) include, but are not limited to:

AC/DC
    Aerosmith (post Draw The Line)
    Asia
    Boston
    Cheap Trick
    Def Lepperd
    Foreigner
    Genesis (post Abacab)
    Kansas (except for the early stuff)
    Journey
    Judas Priest
    Bon Jovi
    Bryan Adams
    Loverboy
    Poison
    Queen (post Jazz)
    Rush (more prog metal, acutally)
    Survivor
    Toto
    Styx
    Whitesnake
    Van Hagar
    Cinema (YesWest)

They certainly are not all the same. Some are proggier than others. The hits are very listenable in a party mix of songs everyone recognizes. Always a positive vibe, but not something I would sit in front of the stereo in my overstuffed chair with a glass of wine and listen to...
    With the exception of a few of these---(don't think Genesis fits this, not sure why lol) pretty much can take or leave this kind of music---wears thin very fast--and in the majority of cases on this list--I pretty much loath the "music" they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    With the exception of a few of these---(don't think Genesis fits this, not sure why lol) pretty much can take or leave this kind of music---wears thin very fast--and in the majority of cases on this list--I pretty much loath the "music" they produce.
    Yeah, Genesis was never AOR IMHO...

They went from Prog (until Duke) to Pop (from Abacab onwards)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.