Thread: Montreal Record Stores

Montreal Record Stores

I will be heading to Montreal in a few weeks and would like recommendations for record stores in the city. I am primarily interested in used vinyl.

Thanks!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=montreal

...and Saul, if that is indeed your real name, from one Jew to another, while you're up near Mt Royal est, don't neglect stopping in at Schwartz' for some smoked meat!
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 08-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Rock en Stock used to be the best... but alas, it's long gone.

Okay time out. Since we're talkin' Schwartz's deli (which I also definitely love and second that recommendation) you should also go to St. Viateur Bagel Boulangerie for some cheap, awesome Montreal style (i.e. wood fired) bagels. Maybe there's better shops, but oh man these are good, and always seem to be open at 2am after I'm done with whatever gig brought me to town.

I should definitely win some award as I've been to Schwartz's, Katz's (in NYC) and Canter's (in LA) two times each in the past two years.

- Matt

We enjoyed both the Carnegie and Zabar's when we were in NYC for the Transatlantic show earlier this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I should definitely win some award as I've been to Schwartz's, Katz's (in NYC) and Canter's (in LA) two times each in the past two years.

- Matt
    It's called the TUMS award

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=montreal

...and Saul, if that is indeed your real name, from one Jew to another, while you're up near Mt Royal est, don't neglect stopping in at Schwartz' for some smoked meat!
    Too bad Ben's closed. They were awesome. Next time in Montreal - I'm heading straight for Schwartz (and this from a Gentile...).

Dozens(!) of years ago, I filled my Quebecois LP collection from a place called Le Pick Up. I presume this store is the one (and opened far longer than 2007). No idea if it's still any good or not. http://www.yelp.com/biz/le-pick-up-montr%C3%A9al-3

Did the other thread mention Beatnik Records?

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Dozens(!) of years ago, I filled my Quebecois LP collection from a place called Le Pick Up. I presume this store is the one (and opened far longer than 2007). No idea if it's still any good or not. http://www.yelp.com/biz/le-pick-up-montr%C3%A9al-3
    Le Pick Up is definitely worth a stop, but it's probably not the same as when you were there - only one bin of Quebecois stuff. I did have a great half-French conversation with a prog head there vis-a-vis the merits of 70s music and today's herb He lamented not being able to smoke our stuff back then

Aux 33 Tours is the place to go for quantity and quality these days. The other places on Avenue du Mont-Royal were hit and miss, but worth a dig.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Did the other thread mention Beatnik Records?
    FWIW, I found Beatnik to be really overpriced compared to the other shops.

Aux 33 Tours is definitely the place to begin, IMHO. They have tons of prog (and pretty much everything), though the prog is divided somewhat arbitrarily between a dedicated prog/psych section (where they have KC, VdGG, most Canterbury/Krautrock/Zeuhl, all Italian prog, for example) and the general rock section (where they have all the British "biggies" like Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc.)--and if you are interested in Quebecois prog, that is usually in the general "Francophone" section (though Ange from France is in the Prog/Psych section). And, of course, used "new arrivals" are just randomly mixed up in the always-interesting "new arrivals" bin. Some of this may have changed, as it has been more than a few months since I've been there last. Freeson Rock, which specializes in prog and metal, is just a few doors down and may be worth a visit, but its vinyl selection for prog is not necessarily much larger (if at all), and seems to be in significantly worse condition on average the few times I've been there. They have a great selection of prog CDs, however, though they are rather expensive.
    Last edited by NorthNY Mark; 08-13-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Okay time out. Since we're talkin' Schwartz's deli (which I also definitely love and second that recommendation) you should also go to St. Viateur Bagel Boulangerie for some cheap, awesome Montreal style (i.e. wood fired) bagels. Maybe there's better shops, but oh man these are good, and always seem to be open at 2am after I'm done with whatever gig brought me to town.
    St. Viateur were pretty good, but I thought Fairmount was the better of the two. Though being a New Yorker, I don't see the point of Montreal bagels in general

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    St. Viateur were pretty good, but I thought Fairmount was the better of the two. Though being a New Yorker, I don't see the point of Montreal bagels in general
    Bagels, maybe I'll make it a draw between Mtl and NYC...

But Montreal Smoked Meat smokes (pun intended) the NY Pastrami by 20 miles
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.