Thread: RIP Ed Cassidy Spirit's Uber-cool Bald Drummer

RIP Ed Cassidy Spirit's Uber-cool Bald Drummer

Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Saw him in Hawaii in the early 70s, loved his aggressive musical playing. Also the first guy I ever saw use a giant bass drum mounted on a stand on the side of his kit like a tom tom.

So sorry to hear this. I made a habit out of hailing him in here on his birthdays. He would have been 90 (!) this upcoming May, I believe. Poses a cool level for all of us to reach!

Fabulous drummer, and I suspect he was a great personality as well.

R.I.P.

I saw Spirit in 1969 at the Rose Palace in Pasadena California, a show I will never forget. Then I went to the famous first reunion of the original band in 1976, where a drunk Neil Young was thrown off the stage. I was also at the last reunion of the original band held at a park in Fountain Valley California in the 90's I believe. The original band was IMO one of the best of the L.A. psychedelic bands. And their classic album "The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is again IMO one of the best albums of that era, a timeless masterpiece. Ed had a long life, and I hope he's now jamming with Randy California and Jimi.
    Last edited by AncientChord; 12-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Really sad! I was just talking with a customer yesterday about how GREAT a band these guys were and how great Cassidy was. Spirit is still one of my all-time faves and were so ahead of their time and while he lived a long life, it's always sad when this happens> RIP "Mr.Skin".

RIP Ed Cassidy. Spirit were great.

Does anyone else find the 'Strange Deaths' link next to the obituary on the Ultimate Classic Rock site a little tasteless?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/spiri...dy-dead-at-89/

also read that Huw Lloyd-Langton passed yesterday

One of the oldest rock 'in rollers ever!
    RIP

I loved Spirit and saw the original band several times. Around 74-75 I was living in Denver, and a reformed Spirit had a residence at a local club called Ebbet's Field. I met Randy and Ed and they were really cool, as were Flo & Eddie who were also at this club at the time. Spirit played as a 3 piece with a bass player I can't recall. It wasn't Mark Andes. One night a heckler called for Jay Ferguson, and Randy got real angry. He played some colossal guitar solos, and then yelled at the heckler "can Jay Ferguson do THAT"? It was both hilarious and amazing.
    Around 1981-82, I was working as a postman in Redondo Beach, California and one day I had a package to deliver in a large apartment to - Ed Cassidy! It was the Spirit Ed Cassidy. I told him I was a fan, and I spent about a half hour talking to him and his wife. He said Randy was living up in Santa Barbara and that he planned some projects with him. I don't know if these ever happened and I never saw him again. I found out about the Fountain Valley concert a few days late - I could have easily attended, and then shortly after Randy drowned while saving his son. Spirit will probably always be my favorite American band.

Loved Spirit, especially Dr. Sardonicus. Saw them a few times in the 80s. Ed had a good long life. Wish Randy was still with us.

This is indeed very sad news. My daughter Lian corresponded with Ed for years since she was 7 and considered being a drummer. He was so nice to her over the years, sending her birthday cards and Christmas gifts. A virtuoso drummer and a virtuoso human being.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Heard this on the radio the other day. They admitted it happened a couple of weeks ago. It was news to me though. Sad to hear this. Interesting that aside from his career as a drummer he was also an actor, writer and history buff. RIP Ed.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)