Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions of dark/ominous/eerie/unsettling/etc music for halloween ambience

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Suggestions of dark/ominous/eerie/unsettling/etc music for halloween ambience

Once again I appeal to the depths of knowledge of all you wonderful musical cohorts.

In October, I will be having a type of halloween soirée, where I want some (mostly) background music to set the mood. I am looking for two types of music, but both would need to quality as ominous/unsettling/eerie music that creates a dark/claustrophobic/anxious atmosphere which casts the party in a (somewhat) malevolent pall.

The first type is basically ambient music, just there to fill the silence and create background tension. Things I have in this vein are a track or two from Nurse With Wound's Soliloquy For Lilith, Bass Communion's Pacific Codex Part I and Sister's Oregon A, Tatsuya Nakatani's gong pieces, and a couple of songs from Naked City's Absinthe album.

youtube links to some of the above:
    NWW's SFL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm0AplxuAhY
    BC's Pacific codex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-MR-SIslg
    TN gong solo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZBlFaDnEQ
    NC's absinthe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DePR..._dpF2i&index=5

The second type is a bit more active and 'traditionally' spooky, but still not too overbearing or busy as to distract from the overall mood of the event. Things I have in this vein are Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi (title track), Ligeti's Musica Ricercata Part II, various pieces from the Chernobyl soundtrack, and the piece that started me on this journey, Jocelyn Pook's The Masked Ball. (I will probably add both the Halloween and Exorcist theme in here as well)

youtube links for some of the above:
    Glass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Vt0UGwmgQ
    Ligeti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDN_3EkWN8
    Chernobyl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1a..._6mu3JMWSGeNVE
    Pook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHRLoVmPeLU

I also wouldn't mind some recommendations of choral music (or Gregorian chant) that could fit the overarching theme as some of that stuff is high in the creepy factor, at least to my ears.

One further note: I am generally looking for songs, not albums, in this exercise. That said, if an album does fit in the spirit of the thread, feel free to suggest it (perhaps with a favorite track) and I'll make my own determination as what I would want to use.

Apologies for the long post and many thanks for reading/any suggestions you have.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Banned
    Itaka "Nostradamus IV" 1989

Jerković "Potonulo groblje" 1984

If, Bwana (aka Al Margolis) "Reefer" 1984

Here y'go- you will scare everyone away, for sure:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

A few random picks from the recent past:

Lustmord: Alter
    Fossil Aerosol Mining Project: Zombi Traditions
    Various Artists: The Beyond - Music Inspired by the Lucio Fulci Death Triology
    Darksonictales: Darksonictales
    Dave Phillips: To Death
    Makeup and Vanity Set: Liturgy

^^ all of the above are available via Bandcamp, FWIW
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll listen and respond accordingly.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Last edited by spacefreak; 09-15-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

For relatively short classical pieces, there's Mussorgsky's Night On Bald Mountain, and Orff's O Fortuna.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Here y'go- you will scare everyone away, for sure:

Musically, this hits the mark. Vocally, this misses it. But thanks for the reminder about DG. I definitely have an album or two around here somewhere that I haven't listened to in years.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    A few random picks from the recent past:

Lustmord: Alter
    Fossil Aerosol Mining Project: Zombi Traditions
    Various Artists: The Beyond - Music Inspired by the Lucio Fulci Death Triology
    Darksonictales: Darksonictales
    Dave Phillips: To Death
    Makeup and Vanity Set: Liturgy

^^ all of the above are available via Bandcamp, FWIW
    Only have done the last two...something from that Makeup & Vanity Set will definitely make the final cut. I see Lustmord has made it here as well, so I suspect much for me to explore in his discog.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Many thanks for the many suggestions! I've only listened to the first three, but they are all winners. Not sure how I avoided Lustmord until now, but I'm glad I finally found it.

I look forward to getting through the rest of your recs.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    For relatively short classical pieces, there's Mussorgsky's Night On Bald Mountain, and Orff's O Fortuna.
    Interesting. Didn't think of these, will give them a relisten, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Certainly fitting for halloween but goes past the creating ambience into full blown attention grabbing. I do enjoy it though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    One further note: I am generally looking for songs, not albums, in this exercise. That said, if an album does fit in the spirit of the thread, feel free to suggest it (perhaps with a favorite track) and I'll make my own determination as what I would want to use.
    I'd like to suggest "Selected Memories from the Haunted Ballroom", the album by the Caretaker, an alias of English ambient musician Leyland Kirby. Originally released in 1999 on V/Vm Test Records, it features manipulating songs from the 1920s to resemble the film's music, which resulted with so beautifully creepy stuff. The album was acclaimed from music critics as well as by people who love 'haunting' ambient music. In my humble opinion, this album is unsurpassed regarding 'haunting' ambient albums released in the last twenty years or so. It's 25 short tracks on this album, and if I really have to choose just one track as my personal favourite, it would be "You and the night".

I always recommend the Session 9 soundtrack by Climax Golden Twins (and one track by Ussachevsky).