Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

I was on vacation at a place with no internet, so just getting the news. I am shocked! What a great loss. One of the most talented comedians and actors of our generation. Here is one of my favorite routines of his. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    "What Dreams May Come" is one of the most under rated movies of all time. Perhaps it's to much fantasy and dreamscape.
    Maybe it was just too heavy for some people to deal with ... it's not exactly light-hearted entertainment. I find it an emotionally draining movie. Absolutely one of my all-time favorite films, and a true hidden gem in Robin Williams' collection of works, but it's not something I could watch every day.

I imagine there were probably also religious objections to how the afterlife was portrayed. The theology was sort of an offbeat mix of East and West.

For me, absolutely a beautiful and deeply moving film in every way.

I really liked Moscow on the Hudson
    as well as Good Will, Final Cut, Dead Poets, Aladdin, Patch Adams, Doubtfire, Awakenings and others
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I really liked Moscow on the Hudson
    as well as Good Will, Final Cut, Dead Poets, Aladdin, Patch Adams, Doubtfire, Awakenings and others
    I watched Dead Poets Society last night. Jimmy Fallon's impersonation/tribute to RW last week, ended with jumping on his desk and proclaiming "Captain, My Captain" as the student members said when Robin left the classroom. What an inspirational movie!
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

"What Dreams May Come" is one of the most under rated movies of all time. Perhaps it's to much fantasy and dreamscape.
    Watched this when I wasn't really in a good place in my life.

Let's just say that I got a little emotional.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

While speaking to SongFacts.com for an interview, Gene Simmons suggested that people struggling with depression should commit suicide.

http://www.shalomlife.com/culture/25...ll-themselves/
    Some people loose all respect as soon as they open their mouth to give their opinion.

Just came across this, a heartbreaking letter from his wife about his condition that lead to his death.

Tears of a Clown, indeed.

http://www.neurology.org/content/87/13/1308.full
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Just came across this, a heartbreaking letter from his wife about his condition that lead to his death.

Tears of a Clown, indeed.

http://www.neurology.org/content/87/13/1308.full
    Like millions, I was such a huge Robin Williams fan, from the beginning to the end. The article was in-depth and very educational. I feel very sorry for his loss and the impact it had on the ones who loved him. Everyone should have the right to die on their own terms.

My kids are in the process of losing their mom (my former wife of 28 years) to exactly the same cocktail of LBD & Parkinsons that did RW in. It's progressed to the point now that she will be leaving her house for an assisted memory care facility within the next couple of weeks. She's already in & out of realizing who we are. I fear she will be at the low end of the diagnosis to demise prognosis scale.

When Robin's wife was talking about symptom progression I actually shuddered. I'm involved helping my kids deal with all this shit, and they mirror my family's experience.

When she passes, she will be the 3rd woman I have loved that I've lost since 2004. The words hermit and recluse (extrovert tho' I've always been) are appealing to me more & more.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Geez, reading the letter brought me to tears so I cannot imagine what you are going through.

My thoughts, however little they may mean, are with you. I can't say I'd pray for you and her as I'm not that kind of guy but for a guy whom I have never met and never will, I can only offer meaningless words on a computer screen.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

^^^^ Thank you.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

hang in there Geez
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    Thanks for sharing that - wasn't aware of the LBD angle w/ RW but now at least I understand his actions better. I hope we wake the fuck up and have a national death with dignity law.

Progeezer - I can fully understand the recluse reaction. I just found out recently an ex-girl friend (of many years, but many years ago) died in a car accident. I didn't think that would throw me for a loop, but it did and never leaves my consciousness for long so I can only imagine the feelings that must be bubbling up in your case as well as your children's struggle. Best wishes and hope you all come out the other end all right...

I lost my ex-wife and my sister to cancer, my mom to Lou Gehrig's disease and my dad to a broken heart -- all within eighteen months. It takes many months to get over, but life is like that. Nobody gets out alive.

Condolences Geez. As my grandmother used to say, "Old age sucks. But it beats the alternative!"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My kids are in the process of losing their mom (my former wife of 28 years) to exactly the same cocktail of LBD & Parkinsons that did RW in. It's progressed to the point now that she will be leaving her house for an assisted memory care facility within the next couple of weeks. She's already in & out of realizing who we are. I fear she will be at the low end of the diagnosis to demise prognosis scale.

When Robin's wife was talking about symptom progression I actually shuddered. I'm involved helping my kids deal with all this shit, and they mirror my family's experience.

When she passes, she will be the 3rd woman I have loved that I've lost since 2004. The words hermit and recluse (extrovert tho' I've always been) are appealing to me more & more.
    I'm so very sorry. I've been through that kind of horror too. Take care of yourself.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

So sorry to hear this, Steve. You've had enough tragedy for one life - especially considering what a righteous dude you are. Stay strong, buddy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Did your wife try medical marijuana? There is no medicine which more potent as a neuroprotectant. There is no mention that they tried that on RW. They seemed to be about making him "clean". The research is there even though the US has stifled it for political reasons.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Hang in there, man...you've got a veritable army of weirdos and prog freaks standing behind you at all times
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

A video clip of actor Jamie Costa doing an incredible Robin Williams impersonation is quickly going viral as it's making many fans want to see it result in a feature length biopic. Uploaded to Costa's personal YouTube account, the clip is simply titled, "ROBIN Test Footage Scene. It appears that the goal is for the footage to generate some interest in doing more with Costa playing Williams. You can check out the video below

^Impressive job.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Wow. I'd be interested in more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. I'd be interested in more of that.
    You can hit the replay button.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Well-played, Gruno

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well-played, Gruno
    In honor of Robin Williams