Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quite a shock. So many movies or even small parts that were impressive, like his short portrayal of Eisenhower in "The Butler" recently. I agree with previous comments he was great in Good Will Hunting and Mrs. Doubtfire, but let's not forget Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, Insomnia, One Hour Photo, The Birdcage, Hook (!) or even Popeye (!!)

But my absolute favorite might be an unexpected one, namely "The Bicentennial Man"

This quote:

President Marjorie Bota: You have arranged to die?
    Andrew Martin: In a sense I have. I am growing old, my body is deteriorating, and like all of you, will eventually cease to function. As a robot, I could have lived forever. But I tell you all today, I would rather die a man, than live for all eternity a machine.
    President Marjorie Bota: Why do you want this?
    Andrew Martin: To be acknowledged for who and what I am, no more, no less. Not for acclaim, not for approval, but, the simple truth of that recognition. This has been the elemental drive of my existence, and it must be achieved, if I am to live or die with dignity.

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)

Apparently tried to slit his wrist before the hanging.

I don't know why, but hearing that he hanged himself makes it feel worse. It's such a violent and final act. An act of true desperation with no way out. It's impossible for me to imagine a person being in so much internal pain that they could commit to hanging themselves.

It's hard to comprehend that a man who brought so much joy to the world could be living his own life in such sadness.

RIP

I never saw this coming. I wasn't a huge fan but I enjoyed some of his films.

Very sad indeed. Wish I could have told him "It's not your fault"

I believe, as a great, great man once said "there is a day coming when all in the grave will hear His voice and come out"... I look forward to meeting Robin when he is resurrected.

until then
    Rest In Peace
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Death of the
    Year so far...that's about it

I just read comedian David Brenner died Saturday from cancer. They said he was 78.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I just read comedian David Brenner died Saturday from cancer. They said he was 78.
    David Brenner passed away this past March 14.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They shouldn't have it on the internet below fresh news.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There was a thread about it here if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They shouldn't have it on the internet below fresh news.
    It's a conspiracy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "I'm sure most of you have heard the story of the man who, desperately ill, goes to an analyst and tells the doctor that he has lost his desire to live and that he is seriously considering suicide. The doctor listens to this tale of melancholia and then tells the patient that what he needs is a good belly laugh. He advises the unhappy man to go to the circus that night and spend the evening laughing at Grock, the world's funniest clown. The doctor sums it up, 'After you have seen Grock, I am sure you will be much happier.' The patient rises to his feet, looks sadly at the doctor, turns and ambles to the door. As he starts to leave, the doctor says, 'By the way what is your name?' The man turns and regards the analyst with sorrowful eyes. 'I am Grock.'" - Groucho Marx
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I don't know why, but hearing that he hanged himself makes it feel worse. It's such a violent and final act. An act of true desperation with no way out. It's impossible for me to imagine a person being in so much internal pain that they could commit to hanging themselves.

It's hard to comprehend that a man who brought so much joy to the world could be living his own life in such sadness.
    He gave so much, but recently his world was taking too much from him. The alimony, the critics ......

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "I'm sure most of you have heard the story of the man who, desperately ill, goes to an analyst and tells the doctor that he has lost his desire to live and that he is seriously considering suicide. The doctor listens to this tale of melancholia and then tells the patient that what he needs is a good belly laugh. He advises the unhappy man to go to the circus that night and spend the evening laughing at Grock, the world's funniest clown. The doctor sums it up, 'After you have seen Grock, I am sure you will be much happier.' The patient rises to his feet, looks sadly at the doctor, turns and ambles to the door. As he starts to leave, the doctor says, 'By the way what is your name?' The man turns and regards the analyst with sorrowful eyes. 'I am Grock.'" - Groucho Marx
    In a conversation on Facebook today I said, "I wish that he could have been as happy as he made everyone else". One of my friends responded "The tragedy of being Robin Williams is that he couldn't be entertained by Robin Williams".

I haven't watched TV or movies for several years, but Robin Williams was one of the actors I remember fondly from when I did. What Dreams May Come is a beautiful film, and it's especially poignant in light of how Robin Williams died, as one of the main themes in the film is how his character's wife spirals into depression and commits suicide. It's a very emotional film that deals with a huge range of human emotions, from grief to perseverance, redemption, second chances, forgiveness, and the power of love. Such an underrated movie -- easily in my all-time top 5. Never fails to get the tears flowing.

RIP to a gifted man. Depression sucks. It's hard to explain to anyone how deep the despair can run if you haven't been there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I forgot about One Hour Photo. A creepy role, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Very cool, thanks for sharing that. "Bob Hoskins lookalike…" I suddenly see where Phil got his inspiration for the "Jesus He Knows Me" video.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    RIP to a gifted man. Depression sucks. It's hard to explain to anyone how deep the despair can run if you haven't been there.
    True. I find it odd that if he suffered from long term depression that after being in front of so many doctors/therapists/etc through his substance abuse rehab and treatments that one of them couldn't accurately diagnose his condition and get him on some anti-depressent medications years ago. OTOH, someone earlier in this thread pointed out a laundry list of all the things that have gone bad for him in the recent time, so perhaps his depression was situational rather than chronic. Either way, you have to want death very badly to go through the misery of strangulation by hanging. A very sad day indeed.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

What always shocks me to no end, every time a "celeb" or successfull artist (actor, musician, etc) commits suicide, or dies of a drug overdose, I can't help thinking that they had so much to live for. They had children they loved, they had a long career to be proud of. Seems like such a waste. Yeah, yeah I know, no one can understand the depth of despair these people go through unless you've been through it yourself. Yes, I get it. Still, one wonders how successfull people, with family who love them, with access to all the resources they need for help decide to end it all like this. OTOH, maybe it was a side effect of some medication he was taking. How many times do we see those commercials for some new "wonder drug" and one of the side effects (besides dry mouth and constipation) is "thoughts of suicide?" I see more of this all the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What always shocks me to no end, every time a "celeb" or successfull artist (actor, musician, etc) commits suicide, or dies of a drug overdose, I can't help thinking that they had so much to live for. They had children they loved, they had a long career to be proud of. Seems like such a waste. Yeah, yeah I know, no one can understand the depth of despair these people go through unless you've been through it yourself. Yes, I get it. Still, one wonders how successfull people, with family who love them, with access to all the resources they need for help decide to end it all like this. OTOH, maybe it was a side effect of some medication he was taking. How many times do we see those commercials for some new "wonder drug" and one of the side effects (besides dry mouth and constipation) is "thoughts of suicide?" I see more of this all the time.
    But, in his case and many others, there can be the feeling of no control because of everybody wanting more from you. You have given financially, emotionally and now you are older and it becomes a physical and mental challenge for you. He did effectively give the finger to all those leeches who sucked the life from him, by what he did. Those ex wives were abusing him and the CA government lets it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I haven't watched TV or movies for several years, but Robin Williams was one of the actors I remember fondly from when I did. What Dreams May Come is a beautiful film, and it's especially poignant in light of how Robin Williams died, as one of the main themes in the film is how his character's wife spirals into depression and commits suicide. It's a very emotional film that deals with a huge range of human emotions, from grief to perseverance, redemption, second chances, forgiveness, and the power of love. Such an underrated movie -- easily in my all-time top 5. Never fails to get the tears flowing.
    Yep, very emotional film. One that I'd probably have a hard time watching now.

And now his daughter is saying that she has left social media because of the abuse that she's received.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    This isn't unique to celebrities, but we see it with them more because their lives are so public. I have only one experience with suicide. It was a customer who appeared to have a great life. Wife, kids, good income, President of his local Rotary club and on the board of several charities. Very active, outgoing guy with loads of energy. I had a meeting with him one day in his home office, he made me a lovely lunch and we talked about how great things were going for him. I helped him put together a new marketing plan for his business that he was very excited about. Three weeks later he stepped into his car and turned on the engine while leaving the garage door shut. He left a note for his wife so there was no doubt that this was not an accident. Never in a million years would I have guessed that this guy was capable of even considering suicide.

In spite of what people show you on the outside, you just never know what they are struggling with on the inside.