Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 152

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

  1. #51
    Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    0
    Quite a shock. So many movies or even small parts that were impressive, like his short portrayal of Eisenhower in "The Butler" recently. I agree with previous comments he was great in Good Will Hunting and Mrs. Doubtfire, but let's not forget Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, Insomnia, One Hour Photo, The Birdcage, Hook (!) or even Popeye (!!)

    But my absolute favorite might be an unexpected one, namely "The Bicentennial Man"

    This quote:


    President Marjorie Bota: You have arranged to die?
    Andrew Martin: In a sense I have. I am growing old, my body is deteriorating, and like all of you, will eventually cease to function. As a robot, I could have lived forever. But I tell you all today, I would rather die a man, than live for all eternity a machine.
    President Marjorie Bota: Why do you want this?
    Andrew Martin: To be acknowledged for who and what I am, no more, no less. Not for acclaim, not for approval, but, the simple truth of that recognition. This has been the elemental drive of my existence, and it must be achieved, if I am to live or die with dignity.

    R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)

  2. #52
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,568
    Apparently tried to slit his wrist before the hanging.

  3. #53
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,362
    I don't know why, but hearing that he hanged himself makes it feel worse. It's such a violent and final act. An act of true desperation with no way out. It's impossible for me to imagine a person being in so much internal pain that they could commit to hanging themselves.

    It's hard to comprehend that a man who brought so much joy to the world could be living his own life in such sadness.

  4. #54
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,744
    RIP

    I never saw this coming. I wasn't a huge fan but I enjoyed some of his films.

  5. #55
    Very sad indeed. Wish I could have told him "It's not your fault"

  6. #56
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,777
    I believe, as a great, great man once said "there is a day coming when all in the grave will hear His voice and come out"... I look forward to meeting Robin when he is resurrected.

    until then
    Rest In Peace
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  7. #57
    Death of the
    Year so far...that's about it

  8. #58
    I just read comedian David Brenner died Saturday from cancer. They said he was 78.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  9. #59
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I just read comedian David Brenner died Saturday from cancer. They said he was 78.
    David Brenner passed away this past March 14.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    David Brenner passed away this past March 14.
    They shouldn't have it on the internet below fresh news.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  11. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    David Brenner passed away this past March 14.
    There was a thread about it here if I remember correctly.

  12. #62
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They shouldn't have it on the internet below fresh news.
    It's a conspiracy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  13. #63
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,180
    "I'm sure most of you have heard the story of the man who, desperately ill, goes to an analyst and tells the doctor that he has lost his desire to live and that he is seriously considering suicide. The doctor listens to this tale of melancholia and then tells the patient that what he needs is a good belly laugh. He advises the unhappy man to go to the circus that night and spend the evening laughing at Grock, the world's funniest clown. The doctor sums it up, 'After you have seen Grock, I am sure you will be much happier.' The patient rises to his feet, looks sadly at the doctor, turns and ambles to the door. As he starts to leave, the doctor says, 'By the way what is your name?' The man turns and regards the analyst with sorrowful eyes. 'I am Grock.'" - Groucho Marx

  14. #64
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I don't know why, but hearing that he hanged himself makes it feel worse. It's such a violent and final act. An act of true desperation with no way out. It's impossible for me to imagine a person being in so much internal pain that they could commit to hanging themselves.

    It's hard to comprehend that a man who brought so much joy to the world could be living his own life in such sadness.
    He gave so much, but recently his world was taking too much from him. The alimony, the critics ......
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  15. #65
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "I'm sure most of you have heard the story of the man who, desperately ill, goes to an analyst and tells the doctor that he has lost his desire to live and that he is seriously considering suicide. The doctor listens to this tale of melancholia and then tells the patient that what he needs is a good belly laugh. He advises the unhappy man to go to the circus that night and spend the evening laughing at Grock, the world's funniest clown. The doctor sums it up, 'After you have seen Grock, I am sure you will be much happier.' The patient rises to his feet, looks sadly at the doctor, turns and ambles to the door. As he starts to leave, the doctor says, 'By the way what is your name?' The man turns and regards the analyst with sorrowful eyes. 'I am Grock.'" - Groucho Marx
    In a conversation on Facebook today I said, "I wish that he could have been as happy as he made everyone else". One of my friends responded "The tragedy of being Robin Williams is that he couldn't be entertained by Robin Williams".

  16. #66
    Member Adrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle-ish
    Posts
    15
    I haven't watched TV or movies for several years, but Robin Williams was one of the actors I remember fondly from when I did. What Dreams May Come is a beautiful film, and it's especially poignant in light of how Robin Williams died, as one of the main themes in the film is how his character's wife spirals into depression and commits suicide. It's a very emotional film that deals with a huge range of human emotions, from grief to perseverance, redemption, second chances, forgiveness, and the power of love. Such an underrated movie -- easily in my all-time top 5. Never fails to get the tears flowing.

    RIP to a gifted man. Depression sucks. It's hard to explain to anyone how deep the despair can run if you haven't been there.

  17. #67
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,979
    I forgot about One Hour Photo. A creepy role, well played.

  18. #68

  19. #69
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Very cool, thanks for sharing that. "Bob Hoskins lookalike…" I suddenly see where Phil got his inspiration for the "Jesus He Knows Me" video.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    RIP to a gifted man. Depression sucks. It's hard to explain to anyone how deep the despair can run if you haven't been there.
    True. I find it odd that if he suffered from long term depression that after being in front of so many doctors/therapists/etc through his substance abuse rehab and treatments that one of them couldn't accurately diagnose his condition and get him on some anti-depressent medications years ago. OTOH, someone earlier in this thread pointed out a laundry list of all the things that have gone bad for him in the recent time, so perhaps his depression was situational rather than chronic. Either way, you have to want death very badly to go through the misery of strangulation by hanging. A very sad day indeed.
    Check out my one-man prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown

    Check out Mutiny in Jonestown's latest album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.c...-while-i-sleep

  21. #71

  22. #72
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,744
    What always shocks me to no end, every time a "celeb" or successfull artist (actor, musician, etc) commits suicide, or dies of a drug overdose, I can't help thinking that they had so much to live for. They had children they loved, they had a long career to be proud of. Seems like such a waste. Yeah, yeah I know, no one can understand the depth of despair these people go through unless you've been through it yourself. Yes, I get it. Still, one wonders how successfull people, with family who love them, with access to all the resources they need for help decide to end it all like this. OTOH, maybe it was a side effect of some medication he was taking. How many times do we see those commercials for some new "wonder drug" and one of the side effects (besides dry mouth and constipation) is "thoughts of suicide?" I see more of this all the time.

  23. #73
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What always shocks me to no end, every time a "celeb" or successfull artist (actor, musician, etc) commits suicide, or dies of a drug overdose, I can't help thinking that they had so much to live for. They had children they loved, they had a long career to be proud of. Seems like such a waste. Yeah, yeah I know, no one can understand the depth of despair these people go through unless you've been through it yourself. Yes, I get it. Still, one wonders how successfull people, with family who love them, with access to all the resources they need for help decide to end it all like this. OTOH, maybe it was a side effect of some medication he was taking. How many times do we see those commercials for some new "wonder drug" and one of the side effects (besides dry mouth and constipation) is "thoughts of suicide?" I see more of this all the time.
    But, in his case and many others, there can be the feeling of no control because of everybody wanting more from you. You have given financially, emotionally and now you are older and it becomes a physical and mental challenge for you. He did effectively give the finger to all those leeches who sucked the life from him, by what he did. Those ex wives were abusing him and the CA government lets it happen.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  24. #74
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I haven't watched TV or movies for several years, but Robin Williams was one of the actors I remember fondly from when I did. What Dreams May Come is a beautiful film, and it's especially poignant in light of how Robin Williams died, as one of the main themes in the film is how his character's wife spirals into depression and commits suicide. It's a very emotional film that deals with a huge range of human emotions, from grief to perseverance, redemption, second chances, forgiveness, and the power of love. Such an underrated movie -- easily in my all-time top 5. Never fails to get the tears flowing.
    Yep, very emotional film. One that I'd probably have a hard time watching now.


    And now his daughter is saying that she has left social media because of the abuse that she's received.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  25. #75
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What always shocks me to no end, every time a "celeb" or successfull artist (actor, musician, etc) commits suicide, or dies of a drug overdose, I can't help thinking that they had so much to live for. They had children they loved, they had a long career to be proud of. Seems like such a waste. Yeah, yeah I know, no one can understand the depth of despair these people go through unless you've been through it yourself. Yes, I get it. Still, one wonders how successfull people, with family who love them, with access to all the resources they need for help decide to end it all like this. OTOH, maybe it was a side effect of some medication he was taking. How many times do we see those commercials for some new "wonder drug" and one of the side effects (besides dry mouth and constipation) is "thoughts of suicide?" I see more of this all the time.
    This isn't unique to celebrities, but we see it with them more because their lives are so public. I have only one experience with suicide. It was a customer who appeared to have a great life. Wife, kids, good income, President of his local Rotary club and on the board of several charities. Very active, outgoing guy with loads of energy. I had a meeting with him one day in his home office, he made me a lovely lunch and we talked about how great things were going for him. I helped him put together a new marketing plan for his business that he was very excited about. Three weeks later he stepped into his car and turned on the engine while leaving the garage door shut. He left a note for his wife so there was no doubt that this was not an accident. Never in a million years would I have guessed that this guy was capable of even considering suicide.

    In spite of what people show you on the outside, you just never know what they are struggling with on the inside.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •