Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, so who's the best Irish guitarist

I would have to give the nod to Moore over Gallagher. Moore was just so damn versatile. Hard Rock, Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Metal, he did it all over the course of his career.

As for me, it's got to be Rory Gallagher.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Vincent McCusker
    On Future Legends he is absolutely great.

Moore even manages to make a bunch of great old blues players look like has-beens in one of his videos.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Moore even manages to make a bunch of great old blues players look like has-beens in one of his videos.
    Probably the Montreaux video; and he took a lot of heat for that. It came off as being disrespectful. He certainly respected Albert Collins, who was in it, but he should have cut back a bit on the pyrotechnics a bit when playing by his side.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would have to give the nod to Moore over Gallagher. Moore was just so damn versatile. Hard Rock, Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Metal, he did it all over the course of his career.
    And he was great at all of it. He gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Rory would be my pick.
    sounds like a no-brainer to me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was gonna make the same observation, but given the emoticon, I reckoned he knows that already and was being facetious.
    I take almost every post as being facetious, emoticon or not.......

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Probably the Montreaux video; and he took a lot of heat for that. It came off as being disrespectful. He certainly respected Albert Collins, who was in it, but he should have cut back a bit on the pyrotechnics a bit when playing by his side.
    Exactly. It seemed pretty tacky on his part.
    <sig out of order>

Never saw it, but I can't agree with that premise. Is it necessary for one player to dumb down his/her playing to make another one look good? Not in my book. When you're onstage improvising, you're not thinking about such right side of the brain things; it's a different sort of consciousness. Ideas just come to you and you play them. You can think about what and how you want to play when you're at home practicing, but in the heat of the moment in a live setting, all of that stuff flies out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Never saw it, but I can't agree with that premise. Is it necessary for one player to dumb down his/her playing to make another one look good? Not in my book. When you're onstage improvising, you're not thinking about such right side of the brain things; it's a different sort of consciousness. Ideas just come to you and you play them. You can think about what and how you want to play when you're at home practicing, but in the heat of the moment in a live setting, all of that stuff flies out the window.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Wow, that can be no further from what I posted. It has nothing to do with "dumbing things down." Playing the blues is just as much about the notes you DON'T play than it is about the ones you do play. Gary Moore showed quite often that he could play understated passages that were every bit as effective as the blistering ones. If you heard the recording I'm referring to, you might agree that his fire was very misplaced during the performances he shared with Albert Collins. It was overpowering instead of complementary, which is everything when playing with a fellow guitarist.

Dumbing down to make Albert Collins, the Master of the Telecaster, look good?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wow, that can be no further from what I posted. It has nothing to do with "dumbing things down." Playing the blues is just as much about the notes you DON'T play than it is about the ones you do play. Gary Moore showed quite often that he could play understated passages that were every bit as effective as the blistering ones. If you heard the recording I'm referring to, you might agree that his fire was very misplaced during the performances he shared with Albert Collins. It was overpowering instead of complementary, which is everything when playing with a fellow guitarist.

Dumbing down to make Albert Collins, the Master of the Telecaster, look good?
    Maybe "dumbing down" wasn't the right way to put it and maybe I'd have to actually hear it. All I was saying was that when you improvise, you play whatever the spirit motivates you to play. If Gary was playing loud and aggressive rhythm guitar behind Albert, that would be "overpowering" and non-complimentary, but if they're just taking turns soloing, each man should play whatever they feel like playing. It could be they each just had very different things to say that day.

Maybe "dumbing down" wasn't the right way to put it and maybe I'd have to actually hear it. All I was saying was that when you improvise, you play whatever the spirit motivates you to play. If Gary was playing loud and aggressive rhythm guitar behind Albert, that would be "overpowering" and non-complimentary, but if they're just taking turns soloing, each man should play whatever they feel like playing. It could be they each just had very different things to say that day.
    In principle I would agree with you. In reality, I think if you saw this video you might feel differently. Maybe later I'll see if I can find some clips, although I'm not sure one will be enough. As I recall this was not a case of one isolated incident in the entire video but a pattern. It was over 20 years ago when I saw this. I was watching with another guitarist who felt the same way.
    <sig out of order>

There is an Irish guitarist besides The Edge? Shows you how much I know about Irish music. But I'll bet there are Celtic-style guitarists who are better than anyone mentioned in this thread so far. Some Celtic music is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    There is an Irish guitarist besides The Edge? Shows you how much I know about Irish music. But I'll bet there are Celtic-style guitarists who are better than anyone mentioned in this thread so far. Some Celtic music is amazing.
    I agree. Does a guitarist need to have a certain number of fans to be in the running for best guitarist?
    <sig out of order>

It saddens me that I'm the first one to mention Johnny Fean of Horslips...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    It saddens me that I'm the first one to mention Johnny Fean of Horslips...
    I'm so sorry you're sad...I really am...

but...

I'm gonna mention Christy Doran

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Some of Doran's recordings are exceptionally well recorded and are mind blowing on par w/ Marc Ducret, Sonny Sharrock or the most intense McLaughlin stuff, (especially Race The Time, the ADD stuff and the Hat label releases). The same can't be said for Moore or Gallagher. I dig all three guitarists a lot and can't really play the who's best game. Gallagher may have had more unexplored territory in front of him than Moore or Doran and his playing sometimes seems to have a raw sense of discovery that lots of really good players lack.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    But I'll bet there are Celtic-style guitarists who are better than anyone mentioned in this thread so far. Some Celtic music is amazing.
    Exactly.
    I mentioned Declan Sinnott already, he's one of the best. And there are many Irish folk music guitarists that are far better than most of the Irish rock guitarists

...When it comes to players like Doran, Gallagher and Moore the notion that there are "better" players not mentioned in this thread is ill informed. What these guys communicate as artists isn't easily measurable. We're not looking at a track and field performance or a weight lifting event. Kind of agree w/ FZ's..."rating guitarists is a stupid hobby" statement, (even tho' I been guilty plenty of times).

Moore was a poor hamfisted blues player, he always sounded like a hard rock\fusion guy that didn't really have a lot of feel for the music.

Rory by a country mile...!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Strat O'Caster