Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unreleased Tony Banks instrumental

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I also pointed out the marketing hype let down factor.
    This is the only issue I have with all of this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    We're all adults here.
    Not always!

"Tony Banks (Genesis) E..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'd like to think Genesis have more class than to do that.

To say the least, I found this impending compilation baffling and pointless- doesn't feature all the hits so doesn't even work on that level ('Sledgehammer' for instance is absent) and has bizarre inclusions like 'Wake Up Call'. But so what, life goes on- not worth worrying about.
    Yeah, and also everyone's different too. Some are more extroverted than others for example. But, one thing to remember is that we're all still human and without getting into specifics I actually have seen some cases of feathers being ruffled or even feelings being hurt with a well known artist and/or producer reading things said in a forum about their work. So, even if they don't participate and bother defending or clarifying anything after seeing such things it still could bug them potentially... and I wouldn't want to be opening that can of worms like I said. But, I did want to sort of summarize the situation at least for him because we're friends. Maybe he'll convey it to some of the others I don't know. I would think they know the fan reaction but who knows? I did send a link from an article written on a Genesis fan site that kind of summed things up.

In any case, you're right JJ88. It doesn't matter what they put on a compilation. No one is forcing anyone to buy it... and yeah, the marketing hype is really the main issue and even then... we'll all get over it! haha. The only problem is the "boy that cried foxtrot" factor. Next time they say they have a "big announcement" people will be like "yeah right" (although if it's something really cool like a reunion gig then people will snap to it quick enough as well).

Anyway, sorry for taking the thread off topic. There's actually another thread about that subject (naturally! What ELSE is there to talk about on PE besides Yes, Genesis and King Crimson? ). Meanwhile... I will let you guys know if I get any further confirmation about the mp3 of the long lost supposed Tony Banks tune. Nick is pretty close with Tony so I wonder if he'd send it to Tony who I think would probably get a kick out of it... maybe not that someone was impersonating him without divulging the truth but perhaps that they got close. It's a nice tribute and should have been presented that way IMO. That said, what if it IS a real TB demo? Haha. (uh oh)

^Fans complain- it's what they do. Getting involved in pissy arguments over that is not really worth the bother IMHO.

I never make personal attacks focussing on weight etc. That's really crossing a line. Criticise the art, not the artist. As you say, they are people too- I definitely have sympathy for Phil Collins due to the amount of vitriolic personal criticism he has gotten.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm not weighing in on the fake/not fake debate, but I just want to point out that Tony Banks would never write a piece of music called "Sunrise". Maybe "Sunset"...
    Well, he did write "Forever Morning". Not all his song titles are depressing.

Well... I've got some definitive news from the horse's mouth on this one! I sent it to Nick Davis and he sent it to Tony!!!!! You want to know what Tony said? He said "This can't be me. It's in time!" Haha. So, there you have it. A fake as we suspected and probably a sequenced sampled CP70 as well. No other comment about it but I have a curious feeling that A. Tony didn't care that the guy did it (because he had a sense of humor about it) and B. that he probably was impressed or tickled that the guy had it so close... apart from the perfect timing! But, he didn't say. I was lucky to get a response at all about such things. I have to be careful! That said, I DID send Nick Davis the final mix of my song "Stranded" which has me soloing like a Tony Banks disciple along with Steve Hackett soloing like Steve Hackett 2.0 (ie. better than ever IMO) and Nick D'Virgilio on drums (who both Nick Davis and Tony Banks like having worked with him on Calling All Stations). So, naturally, I boldly suggested he send that to Tony too for a listen. I hope I didn't use up my "Squids points" asking him to listen to that other guy's fake demo mp3!!!!

By the way, if you want to hear it there's another thread on PE talking about Keith Emerson debuting the song I'm talking about on Planet Rock. Or if you're lazy to find the thread but still curious here it is: https://soundcloud.com/davekerznerba...net-rock-radio (although that's a preliminary mix, not the final mix which is a little different... and actually closer to 11 minutes! It's being released on iTunes etc. next week)

I suppose since I risked it by going to Nick and ultimately Tony to get the skinny on this demo mystery the least you can do is listen to all 10 and a half minutes of my song! Haha. jk That said, do we really WANT to know the answers to these things or is it more fun to have a mystery perpetuating with opinions back and forth? To me a thread like this is actually fun. But, I also think it'd be frustrating in the end not to get a definitive answer. Hope you agree (otherwise I just spoiled it for you if you thought it was real).

http://www.davekerzner.com
    http://www.facebook.com/davesquidskerzner
    http://www.soundcloud.com/davekerznerband

Ha! That story is just too great for words! Love Tony's sense of humor, too. The track is now officially stamped "FAKE."

Squids, "Stranded" is superb - great Pink Floyd vibe, particularly in the vocals, which I see are yours! (and is that you doing those incredible high-pitched screams?) And what could be cooler than having your track introduced by none other than Keith Emerson? Steve Hackett's guitar work is as delicious as ever, too. Outstanding work! Guess that means I gotta go and pre-order this thing...

The truth ! Nice one Squids. Great track of yours too. This is going to be a great album.

By the way, if you want to hear it there's another thread on PE talking about Keith Emerson debuting the song I'm talking about on Planet Rock. Or if you're lazy to find the thread...
    If people haven't caught on by now, here's a quick cheat-sheet for all the lazy people out there:

Dave-Kerzners-Stranded-Premiered-on-Planet-Rock-by-Keith-Emerson

Keith-Emerson-to-play-on-Squids-solo-album!

Dave-Kerzner-Solo-Album-Sound-Cloud-Preview-Clips-and-Kickstarter

http://www.davekerzner.com

http://www.facebook.com/davesquidskerzner

http://www.soundcloud.com/davekerznerband

Dave-Squids-Kerzner-amp-Heather-Findlay-new-band-Mantra-Vega-w-Dave-Kilminster

Sound-of-Contact-New-Progressive-Rock-Band-with-Simon-Collins-amp-Squids!

Thanks Squids for taking the matter up the ladder, as they say, regarding 'Sunrise'. I'm glad Tony got to hear it.

I can't wait to hear 'Stranded', but have to wait until I'm not at work.

Cheers,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Thanks Squids for taking the matter up the ladder, as they say, regarding 'Sunrise'. I'm glad Tony got to hear it.

I can't wait to hear 'Stranded', but have to wait until I'm not at work.

Cheers,

Bill
    I didn't really think he would actually be hearing it but it's pretty funny that he did. I hope he doesn't think I did it now that I think about it... ironically it's something I would potentially do (except I wouldn't pull people's leg and not reveal the truth... that's the only part I didn't like about it).

As for my song, well, there really is another thread where it's on topic so in all fairness it does belong there. Hopefully I am forgiven for the plug. I did at least risk looking ridiculous by passing the track on through to get us all a real answer. That's gotta be worth some Proggy lenience i would hope.

If you guys want to let me know what you think of it, maybe it's better in this thread http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-Keith-Emerson (even though this thread has no more mystery in it left)

Me… sarcastic…? Parrish the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Me… sarcastic…? Parrish the thought.
    Haha. Hey, are you in contact with Russ? I haven't talked to him in years.

I didn't really think he would actually be hearing it but it's pretty funny that he did. I hope he doesn't think I did it now that I think about it... ironically it's something I would potentially do (except I wouldn't pull people's leg and not reveal the truth... that's the only part I didn't like about it).

As for my song, well, there really is another thread where it's on topic so in all fairness it does belong there. Hopefully I am forgiven for the plug. I did at least risk looking ridiculous by passing the track on through to get us all a real answer. That's gotta be worth some Proggy lenience i would hope.

If you guys want to let me know what you think of it, maybe it's better in this thread http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-Keith-Emerson (even though this thread has no more mystery in it left)
    Take all the lenience you need for taking that risk! Now if you can just let Nick know that many of us are dying for that private parts album from Tony! (including Arpegg and those 3 vocal tunes he recently did) No, I'm just kidding obviously, but I do look forward to listening to that track tonight (its still afternoon here on the west coast).

Take all the lenience you need for taking that risk! Now if you can just let Nick know that many of us are dying for that private parts album from Tony! (including Arpegg and those 3 vocal tunes he recently did) No, I'm just kidding obviously, but I do look forward to listening to that track tonight (its still afternoon here on the west coast).
    Cool! Yeah, well Nick did say there were some extra classical things as well. I'm sure there's ALL kinds of stuff, it's just a question of whether they want it to be heard or not... or rather that they think there's an actual market for it. They have the box set sales to go by I would imagine.

Cool! Yeah, well Nick did say there were some extra classical things as well. I'm sure there's ALL kinds of stuff, it's just a question of whether they want it to be heard or not... or rather that they think there's an actual market for it. They have the box set sales to go by I would imagine.
    I was under the impression that the classical albums sold relatively well. I would hope they'd judge the market potential by sales for 'Six' and 'Seven' as opposed to box set sales. I rather like 'Seven', but I adore 'Six'-a very subtle, beautiful album throughout-big kudos to the orchestra in Prague there for 'getting' all those subtle chordal nuances.

I was under the impression that the classical albums sold relatively well. I would hope they'd judge the market potential by sales for 'Six' and 'Seven' as opposed to box set sales. I rather like 'Seven', but I adore 'Six'-a very subtle, beautiful album throughout-big kudos to the orchestra in Prague there for 'getting' all those subtle chordal nuances.
    Woops, I meant actually bits and pieces of Genesis stuff. Last I was there they were archiving material to digital because a storage shed in Surrey that happened to not only have some Genesis masters but also Queen and Clapton (who also live in that area) had a little flood and it was one of those "bake the tapes and run it off once" situations for some of them. What's on them I really don't know. Maybe live shows and alternate takes of studio sessions. I think they may underestimate how much the fans would love that stuff... or, perhaps some of us, myself included, overestimate how much the fans would be willing to actually spend on it. Again, they do have things like the re-release of Curious Feeling and the box sets to judge how viable that is. They have done quite a lot of cool extras already. But, to me, doing something like R-Kive was an opportunity to put some rarities out again even if it was just an additional bonus disc like they did with the box sets. Anyway, there's ALSO another thread about R-Kive not to get too OT.

Anyway, maybe Tony will release some sort of bits and pieces compilation at some point and/or some sort of rock album again. I'd love to work on that with him and Davis.

Ah. Yes the Genesis bits and pieces would be cool. Me, I'm especially interested in anything Tony does, as its his work in Genesis (and Steve's of course) that I really relate to.

Nice work on 'Stranded'. A lot of power, and yes, a nice nod to Pink Floyd. Steve plays very impressively as always, in the middle. Wish I could play that flashy. Maybe that's why I feel I need 75 chords in one track to accomplish my objective to make up for my lack Nice quieter mood there at the 3:00 mark before getting powerful again. Nice conclusion, too. Congratulations!

Bill