Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BBC Kate Bush documentary to be aired this month.

New BBC Kate Bush documentary to be aired this month.

Just thought I'd put this out there so you can programme your TV recorders!

The Kate Bush Story:Running Up That Hill. BBC4 on Friday August 22 at 9:10pm.
    Last edited by Rufus; 08-10-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Duly noted. Thanks Rufus. Got my tickets through for one of her shows the other day and cannot wait.

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    Duly noted. Thanks Rufus. Got my tickets through for one of her shows the other day and cannot wait.
    I've received the e-mail saying mine have been dispatched, so they should arrive any day now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    Envy is the only word to describe how I feel right now

I'm hoping for a nationwide 'live' Cinema screening to make me feel a bit better. That was how I saw the Led Zep & Genesis reunion gigs. Not as good as being there but was the next best thing!!!

An update to my earlier post, my tickets arrived today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Envy is the only word to describe how I feel right now

I'm hoping for a nationwide 'live' Cinema screening to make me feel a bit better. That was how I saw the Led Zep & Genesis reunion gigs. Not as good as being there but was the next best thing!!!
    I'd think it likely to happen, and if so, I'd go along to that too, provided it was after the show I'm seeing (2 weeks away!). I saw the Genesis one at the time (and have it on DVD) before I saw them in Amsterdam and it lessened the impact of the "real" gig slightly. I also saw the Muse "Live in Rome" show in the cinema in 4K and it was a great way to experience it. As you say, not quite the same as being there but at least you get a better sense of atmosphere.

I like Kate Bush and am fortunate enough to be going to see her at the end of the month, however, this week I have been listening to someone else who I feel is not the just the 'most' but rather the only influential woman in prog...

Delia Derbyshire

Ask yourself where would we be is she hadn't have painstakingly created magic like this many moons ago...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I like Kate Bush and am fortunate enough to be going to see her at the end of the month, however, this week I have been listening to someone else who I feel is not the just the 'most' but rather the only influential woman in prog...

Delia Derbyshire

Ask yourself where would we be is she hadn't have painstakingly created magic like this many moons ago...

?? You don't think Kate Bush, Annie Haslam, Renate Knaup, or Wendy Carlos (and probably others) have been influential in prog? Or outside of prog?

Just a reminder this is on tonight & an addition programme of BBC footage!

Anyone know a way to keep BBC's iPlayer from knowing you're not in the UK?

I tried disabling something in the Internet Options Privacy settings in Firefox, but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone know a way to keep BBC's iPlayer from knowing you're not in the UK?

I tried disabling something in the Internet Options Privacy settings in Firefox, but no luck.
    Try using a proxy or a VPN based in the UK.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    "Rights agreements" my ass. I wanna watch Kate tonight here in the colonies. I'll check Youtube tomorrow.

If I only could, I'd be downloadin' that show...

Anyone watch this? How was it?

I enjoyed it. David Gilmour talked bout 'The Man With the Child In His Eyes' and getting her the EMI deal. Peter Gabriel and Del Palmer were interviewed too, amongst others. Elton John seems to be a big fan too. And Alan Partridge. Quite a few early interview snippets with Kate too. Afterwards was another programme which was KB at the BBC. Basically a compilation of performances from Top Of The Pops and chat shows etc. There was also some footage from a 1979 special she made for the BBC - included 'The Wedding List'. The two programmes made quite a nice KB evening - they gave a pretty decent, if not particularly in depth, overview.

Enjoyed this.

Watched the clip show last night....shame how they couldn't manage any clips between 1980 and 1985.....seems a bit of an omission from arguably her most interesting period.

I seem to remember her appearing on Saturday Superstore with Rolf Harris as he played didgeridoo on The Dreaming....though maybe I imagined that. And obviously if she did that would need to be airbrushed out of history. Of course the good old Daily Mail was straight in there....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-soiled.html

The peole from Bat for Lashes and St Vincent were fairly annoying too....I suppose that was just to get the 'yoof' interested.

And the bizarre orthodoxy that Hounds of Love was her best is spurious too methinks.....everyone knows Never For Ever and the Dreaming are her finest works!!!

^Someone on another forum found an earlier St Vincent interview for Pitchfork where she'd apparently just gotten into Kate Bush, not what she said on this documentary!

No mention at all of "Director's Cut"? We really enjoy these re-workings of the Red Shoes and Sensual World material.

I'm pretty much Kate Bush ignorant, aside from (now that I've watched this documentary) realizing that I'd heard a couple of these songs before on the radio (avoided whenever possible) somewhere along the line. Very impressive stuff and I can see why she's so revered. Will definitely get some of her albums now.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    No mention at all of "Director's Cut"? We really enjoy these re-workings of the Red Shoes and Sensual World material.
    Me too, but I think we're in a minority.

Was there much mention of 50 Words for Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Watched the clip show last night....shame how they couldn't manage any clips between 1980 and 1985.....seems a bit of an omission from arguably her most interesting period.

I seem to remember her appearing on Saturday Superstore with Rolf Harris as he played didgeridoo on The Dreaming....though maybe I imagined that. And obviously if she did that would need to be airbrushed out of history. Of course the good old Daily Mail was straight in there....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ks-soiled.html
    Honestly, KB attracts some vacuous nutjobs as 'fans'. Thankfully, judging by the comments, they seem to be in a minority.

Quite enjoyed that. A good overview of her career and thought the interviews were a little better and more personal than the usual "Yeah, she's really great. And that one album is awesome." It would have been nice to have a current interview with Kate, but I wasn't surprised there wasn't one. And kudos to whoever put Steve Coogan in there, but then I would like that wouldn't I? Aha!

I wonder why the BBC has let this one stay on youtube, but that Bowie 5 Years doc hasn't?