Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Opeth : Blackwater Park

FEATURED CD - Opeth : Blackwater Park

I've always considered this to be an excellent "gateway disc" into those formats of metal that are generally less understood here at PE. Per SOTdude:

This is about as perfect a metal album can get in my opinion. Blackwater Park is a major triumph in the Opeth catalog, and ranks right up alongside Morningrise and Still Life as the best material the band has released. Why you ask? Well, these three albums perfectly blend thunderous death metal, acoustic progressive rock and folk, and intricate progressive metal, in such as way that even the brutality is beautiful on the ears. When was the last time you heard someone call death metal beautiful? It certainly is in this instance.

"The Leper Affinity" meshes crushing and intricate guitar riffs with growling and clean vocals, as well as some tender acoustic sections, for a song that is as haunting as it is jarringly powerful. An Opeth classic. One minute it lulls you into a serene sense of calm before the rampaging riffs once again blast into the mix with the impact of an earthquake. If you love ultra complex riffs and time changes, then"Bleak" will certainly float your boat, a song also littered with some neat Middle Eastern themes and dark lyrics. Wonderful acoustic guitar work and haunting vocal melodies are the rage on the gorgeous "Harvest", while "The Drapery Falls" is a metallic and punishing track, another contender for a classic of the Opeth repertoire. The presence of Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson is all over this piece, as well as the rest of the album, and it seems that both he and Opeth really benefitted from their collaboration here, as evidenced on subsequent albums from both.

More tender and heartwarming acoustic interludes mixed with rampaging death metal abound on "Dirge for November", but it's all death on the crushing yet melodic "The Funeral Portrait", complete with some great sounding guitar riffs and horror induced vocals. "Patterns in the Ivy" is the calm before the storm of the epic title track, a song that goes through many twists and turns, and is just a joy to listen to.

This album, and really any of the Opeth discography, is not one that listeners might get all at one sitting, or even a few. This is an album that will grow on you over time, and reveal new layers with each listen. As that happens, the songs will become like close, personal friends to you, and you might start to get a warm, fuzzy feeling each time the sounds flow through your speakers. It took me a good three years to fully appreciate and understand the magic created by this band, and I can finally say that Opeth have been releasing some of the most thought provoking and challening music around, and Blackwater Park is one of their jewels.
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=2616

Regards,

Duncan

This is where I discovered Opeth. It's my second favorite after Ghost Reveries. Every song on here is excellent.
    I'm concerned by the clip you choose, Duncan, as it's an 8-bit recording and not the best representation of this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I'm concerned by the clip you choose, Duncan, as it's an 8-bit recording and not the best representation of this.
    Feel free to post a better one!
    Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Fantastic Album!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    This is where I discovered Opeth. It's my second favorite after Ghost Reveries. Every song on here is excellent.
    Ha - that recording is hilarious! Opeth meets Nintendo. Actually the growler haters might actually like this version more.

Killer album from beginning to end. Although I love the turn they've taken over the last few albums (actually I like ALL their albums), Blackwater Park will probably always be my favourite of theirs. Between "The Leper Affinity", "Bleak", "The Drapery Falls" and the amazing title track, this is one commanding album. I've seen them do several of these tracks live and they always go over well in that setting too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Play it loud or don't play it all

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My highest rated Opeth album along with Ghost Reveries. Long Live the Mighty Opeth
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

8-bit Blackwater Park = YES PLEASE

BP isn't my favorite Opeth, but it was my first. And I do enjoy it overall. Deliverance and Ghost Reveries get more spin time at Chez Battema though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ha - that recording is hilarious! Opeth meets Nintendo. Actually the growler haters might actually like this version more.

Great album. The first five are the best AFAIC. After BP things started to go downhill.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Sorry, but death metal and prog do not integrate at all, and the growling vocals are a major deal-breaker for me. Damnation is the only Opeth album I can stomach.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Sorry, but death metal and prog do not integrate at all, and the growling vocals are a major deal-breaker for me. Damnation is the only Opeth album I can stomach.
    Why not try Heritage? There is no growling vocals.

Perhaps not for you, but they integrate perfectly well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    And it's only a couple of weeks until Pale Communion comes out.

I second that... although I equally appreciate the beauties of Watershed and Heritage. Havent played Damnation for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    8-bit Blackwater Park = YES PLEASE

BP isn't my favorite Opeth, but it was my first. And I do enjoy it overall. Deliverance and Ghost Reveries get more spin time at Chez Battema though.

BP isn't my favorite Opeth, but it was my first.
    Same here.

IMO, their best of all time is "Still Life".
    Regards,

Duncan

A classic from start to finish. Every note. A perfect album. The anniversary show was mind blowing. These guys know how to kick ass and leave no prisoners. Can't wait for the new one.

I was quite liking the title track until the vocals started then I burst out laughing. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Class & Quality? View Post
    I was quite liking the title track until the vocals started then I burst out laughing. No thanks.
    greetings from tropical Auckland!

This and Still Life are my favourites. I think it was pretty much perfected for them on those two, though I do have some time for Ghost Reveries.

This is probably my favourite album by Opeth, but they are not a band I particularly like, so I don't suppose that's saying much.

Bands like Agalloch, Insomnium and Fen have given me a certain tolerance for the silly vocal style - they have music of enough interest to me to be engaging - and they tend to avoid the juvenile satanic stuff. In contrast, when Opeth eschew the grunts they tend to make even plainer how dull their music is. When it comes to metal I'll take any of those over Opeth.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Bands like Agalloch, Insomnium and Fen have given me a certain tolerance for the silly vocal style - they have music of enough interest to me to be engaging - and they tend to avoid the juvenile satanic stuff.
    If you haven't already, you might consider checking out Wolves in the Throne Room. I find them to be similarly enjoyable as Agalloch.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

If you haven't already, you might consider checking out Wolves in the Throne Room. I find them to be similarly enjoyable as Agalloch.
    Cheers! I haven't - I will!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Class & Quality? View Post
    yeah... that little Cookie Monster gimmick is for pre-pubes IMO .. but if the Heritage album is instrumental, I might have a go at that one

The video sound in the OP reminded me of Hardcore Devo
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?