Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Frampton deals with annoying fan's cell phone/camera

Only time that I am phone-centric (no smart phone (what a misnomer)) is during Pirate games when I am texting my sons and calling my 84 year old retired sportswriter father.

I feel sorry for young guys trying to find a mate as most young women (maybe young guys too, I am just not looking at them) would rather be intimate with their phone than another human being.
    Last edited by Camelogue; 08-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.

What's also sad is seeing dad, mom, and children in a restaurant, and the father was not on just one, but TWO separate cellphones the whole time they were there. NOTHING can be worth not being in the moment with your family at dinner. I felt like saying something, but decided it wasn't worth getting into a possible fight over.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I wonder if the damage insurance covers this?
    "Dammit, Frampton! I have another three months before I can get an upgrade!"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Good. I'd have done the same thing. Concertgoers have gotten out of hand with this shit.
    Yup, it's to the point that arsehole are putting their iPads high up to film, not caring for the others behind them

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Fripp would probably stop the concert and wait for the offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Assuming he's facing the crowd to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    This kind of behavior is simply one manifestation of the "my universe ends at the end of my nose" mentality so prevalent in the US, but not so prevalent elsewhere imo.

nope, all to prevalent in Westerbn Europe as well... Doubt that the Japanese and Chinese are not nearly as stupid as well.

Stupidity is universal, sadly...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

I feel sorry for young guys trying to find a mate as most young women (maybe young guys too, I am just not looking at them) would rather be intimate with their phone than another human being.
    Actually, they're doing that mostly not be be annoyed by males all over the place... Just like they're wearing big earphones not to hear unsaviory remarks by ypoung males ion the prowl >> these headrphones will stop that , since they know the girl can't hear it anyway.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by prglvr View Post
    What's also sad is seeing dad, mom, and children in a restaurant, and the father was not on just one, but TWO separate cellphones the whole time they were there. NOTHING can be worth not being in the moment with your family at dinner. I felt like saying something, but decided it wasn't worth getting into a possible fight over.
    Just the opposite with my family. I'm the only one not scrolling through my phone at the restaurant. It's annoying as hell just sitting at the table.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    More power to him. I've had it up to here with people and their stupid cell phones. You can't even go to the grocery store or ride the bus anymore without having to listen to one end of all these superfluous phone conversations (or sometimes you hear both ends of teh conversation, because the idiot has the speaker volume up so loud, Lemmy would probably stop playing to ask you to turn it down).
    That's the first time I've ever seen a good reason for talking loudly on a mobile phone.

Well done Peter! This type of selfish behaviour is also totally out of control in Europe. I think all arrangers should bring back the camera ban and this time also include mobile phones, tablets and computers, the presenece of which was why the ban on cameras was lifted in the first place. Umbrellas are banned at many open air gigs and festivals, a festival arranger can ban anything it wishes. I'm so fecked off with having to stand at gigs behind a sea of arms filming everything. FFS, WATCH the gig NOW, with your eyes!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually, they're doing that mostly not be be annoyed by males all over the place... Just like they're wearing big earphones not to hear unsaviory remarks by ypoung males ion the prowl >> these headrphones will stop that , since they know the girl can't hear it anyway.
    "Oh GOD, the one with the Heldon tee is coming this way! Get out the phone!"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Concerts? Heck, I was at a Midnight service at my church last Christmas Eve when a woman got up During the service to take photos of the congregation lighting their candles. After a time the pastor asked her to take her seat.

Oh, and a speakerphone conversation? I complained to a restaurant owner last week about the noisy diner and she asked him to Leave the restaurant! A round of applause went up ad he left.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    (no smart phone (what a misnomer))
    I once made a list of all the things I can do with my iPhone. Maybe it's a misnomer to call it a "smart PHONE" because calling out is the least of it, but that damn thing's become a central hub to so much of my life, like it or not (I'm listening to music on it as I type this on it...)
    •phone

•music player

•email reader

•newsgroup client

•compass

•flashlight

•camera

•video camera

•picture viewer

•movie screen

•calculator

•watch

•book reader

•GPS

•note taker

•voice memos

•Internet browser

•song identifier

•speech-to-text

•barcode reader

•check depositer

•computer (spreadsheets, documents, etc.)

•calendar

•alarm clock

•map

•address book

•TV remote

•train & bus schedules

•DVD and CD collection list

•shopping list

•video conference phone

•movie tickets

•Oblique Strategies

•Starbucks card

•games

•Kodak kiosk interface

•radio

•TV

•garage door opener

•bus schedule

•anagram generator

•Scrabble board (play with friends!)

•National Parks guide

I can barely stand going to concerts anymore more due to the abhorrent behavior of so many people in the crowd.

Inconsiderate, rude, self-absorbed, selfish, solipsistic.....

Relevant:

Theater Night: Vigilantes 1, Vulgarians 0
    By Kevin D. Williamson
    May 15, 2013 11:05 PM

I had a genuinely new experience at the theater tonight: I was thrown out.

The show was Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, which was quite good and which I recommend. The audience, on the other hand, was horrible — talking, using their phones, and making a general nuisance of themselves. It was bad enough that I seriously considered leaving during the intermission, something I’ve not done before. The main offenders were two parties of women of a certain age, the sad sort with too much makeup and too-high heels, and insufficient attention span for following a two-hour musical. But my date spoke with the theater management during the intermission, and they apologetically assured us that the situation would be remedied.

It was not. The lady seated to my immediate right (very close quarters on bench seating) was fairly insistent about using her phone. I asked her to turn it off. She answered: “So don’t look.” I asked her whether I had missed something during the very pointed announcements to please turn off your phones, perhaps a special exemption granted for her. She suggested that I should mind my own business.

So I minded my own business by utilizing my famously feline agility to deftly snatch the phone out of her hand and toss it across the room, where it would do no more damage. She slapped me and stormed away to seek managerial succor. Eventually, I was visited by a black-suited agent of order, who asked whether he might have a word.

In a civilized world, I would have received a commendation of some sort. To the theater-going public of New York — nay, the the world – I say: “You’re welcome.”

There is talk of criminal charges. I will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    This kind of behavior is simply one manifestation of the "my universe ends at the end of my nose" mentality so prevalent in the US, but not so prevalent elsewhere imo.
    For sure.

This happened to me today:

I was waiting for the elevator in my parking garage at work - standing off to one side: allowing people to exit the car first. The door opens up and this tiny, bald doctor bolts out in a big hurry - all the while staring down at his smart phone. He collided with me, causing the phone to pop out of his hands and fall to the cement floor . . . cracking the glass . . .

He demands "Why are you standing right there"??? And just runs off towards the hospital/med school.

Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    For sure.

I was waiting for the elevator in my parking garage at work - standing off to one side: allowing people to exit the car first. The door opens up and this tiny, bald doctor bolts out in a big hurry - all the while staring down at his smart phone. He collided with me, causing the phone to pop out of his hands and fall to the cement floor . . . cracking the glass . . .

He demands "Why are you standing right there"??? And just runs off towards the hospital/med school.

Funny.
    I'm amazed that this doesn't happen more often. Endless times I see near misses/collisions everywhere when one person is walking and looking down at his/her own cell phone. I've had a few, as well. Lucky for them. I will pull a Peter Frampton maneuver, when this does happen, and, I'm sure at one point, it will!

I won't even get into the texting while driving the car thing right now. Hope this isn't going to start a new thread...

Ed
    www.myriadtrio.com
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

When I first got an iPod I ran into a tree (as in, running, on foot) trying to look for a song. I learned pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    When I first got an iPod I ran into a tree (as in, running, on foot) trying to look for a song. I learned pretty quickly.
    That would have taught me, as well! Ouch...

Ed

www.myriadtrio.com
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    For sure.

Funny.
    Awhile back, I saw a thing on the news about people having accidents while fiddling with their cell phones. Not car accidents, just pedestrians. They were showing security camera footage of people walking into doors, walking off subway platforms, walking into other people, etc, all because they're too stupid to look where they're going. Then again, I once walked into a glass door, and I wasn't using a cell phone (I'm not even sure how it happened, but it did).

And I don't know if they're being shown elsewhere in the country, but here in Cleveland, there's been a big campaign to convince people to stop texting while driving. There's one ad for one of the local car dealerships, where the salesman is showing someone a car, naming all the great features, and a local celebrity pops up from the back seat and says "Most important of all, the glove compartment", then yanks the cell phone of the prospective customers hand and throws it in the glove box, where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Did an apple fall on your head too?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Well, since we're talking about stupid humans not looking where they're going and bumping into doors, trees, etc. Here's one that drives me up the wall. People who are walking down a hallway at work, at a full gallop, looking back talking to someone, and oblivious to what's on front of them (me). What I do is stop dead in my tracks, and let them embarrass themselves. Sometimes they say excuse me, sorry, blah blah. Sometimes they give me that look that says "why ain't you moving outta the way? You see me coming." And then I give them that look that says "why don't you watch where the fuck you're going idiot." Happans all the time. What's wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Relevant:
    Big fan of Kevin Williamson here. I remember when this happened, but never heard a follow-up.

Then again, I once walked into a glass door, and I wasn't using a cell phone (I'm not even sure how it happened, but it did).
    My kid did that at a stoore. She actually walked into the glas next to the door. It was slo clean that she thought nothing was there. Poort kid really got slammed.

And I don't know if they're being shown elsewhere in the country, but here in Cleveland, there's been a big campaign to convince people to stop texting while driving.
    Too bad it takes a campaign. It should be the law everywhere.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

who even knew he's was still touring. maybe Frampton Comes Alive might sell a dozen copies this week.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    who even knew he's was still touring. maybe Frampton Comes Alive might sell a dozen copies this week.
    It's still sitting around #825 in music sales overall on Amazon. It probably still sells a few hundred copies a week. Not bad for a 40 year old record. Frampton's tours are well attended and he's doing fine. Better than some other classic rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Seriously? Frampton never stops touring. I am not really a fan, but he plays within an hour of my usually at least once a year.