Thread: Tanger (Argentina)/Luis Colucci - Any Fans?

Tanger (Argentina)/Luis Colucci - Any Fans?

I just got a 2013 album by Luis Colucci. It’s a one man band album, but very well done, where he plays all the drums, bass guitars, keys, etc. I was listening to it last night and one of the tracks strongly reminded me of the Argentinean band Tanger. So I dug out my Tanger CDs and sure enough Luis is in Tanger. Who knew?

Does anyone else know this low profile Argentinean band? They have a sort of KC/Jethro Tull vibe, but their music is all instrumental and they really have their own sound. I own all the Tanger CDs and I think the last two were quite good, but they are all interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen mention of them here, though, so I thought I’d bring them up. Obviously I dig Luis' album as well, and feel it's worth checking out.

Some samples and information below.

www.myspace.com/tangerspace
    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=415
    https://luiscolucci.bandcamp.com/

Bill

Here's one fan at least. I like the first album best (which has more of a psychedelic space rock vibe), but all 4 (Tanger) albums are very good. A somewhat obscure reference would be Blops at the time of the 1973 album (aka Locomotora). I haven't heard the solo effort.

I did a retrospective on the band a couple of years ago. They are indeed obscure:

http://undertheradarcds.blogspot.com...argentina.html

Been awhile since I heard Blops. I'll have to sample them again.

Very good write up. I sense perhaps a bit more development and refinement in Tanger's sound over the course of the four albums than you do. To my ears, they are improving significantly as players, and that really helps. I agree the writing approach is largely similar, though. In fact the similar compositional style obviously carried over to Luis' solo album, that immediately called Tanger to mind.

Funny you reference their obscurity. I guess I wasn't wrong feeling these guys were pretty unknown.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Been awhile since I heard Blops. I'll have to sample them again.

Very good write up. I sense perhaps a bit more development and refinement in Tanger's sound over the course of the four albums than you do. To my ears, they are improving significantly as players, and that really helps. I agree the writing approach is largely similar, though. In fact the similar compositional style obviously carried over to Luis' solo album, that immediately called Tanger to mind.
    Thanks Bill!

Funny you reference their obscurity. I guess I wasn't wrong feeling these guys were pretty unknown.
    Well, your honor, Bill and I rest our case

Here's a sample for those that may be curious. A really fine instrumental progressive rock band with flute and guitar in the lead.

Hi everyone
    I'm Luis Colucci, and I want to thank you for listening and commenting my music.
    In fact, I'm founder and composer of Tanger, so there are some obvious similarities between Tanger albums and Secuencia, my solo one. Also Tanger sound has changed over the years, but I think the basic idea has remained. I think our current music is more mature, although the early tangier was also very energetic and we were convinced we did.
    In secuencia I've played all the instrument, but the drums are programmed, because I can't play drums. But it sounds nice, no?
    You know how hard is to produce and promote music, specially progressive music, so I'm glad you can appreciate and share this.
    Best
    Luis Colucci
    composicionyarreglos.blogspot.com
    tangerband.blogspot.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tngr002
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuQ...Hut4YfQ/videos

Welcome to the board, Luis! Thanks for commenting. Any new Tanger albums on the horizon?

Hi Luis,

Great to see you here! As I said earlier I own and enjoy all the Tanger albums and your solo album. I think your music would appeal to many here, so hopefully this thread will generate a bit of attention.

Any news on the band or your solo work you'd like to share with us?

Bill

Hi
    Tanger is looking for a new drummer. We have 5 new tracks for a new record recorded with Marcos Saucedo, the drummer who left the band a pair of years ago. The 5 tracks are half a record as we decided to record another 5 that are already composed. We've been rehearsing with 2 new drummers but didn't work.
    This year I've been playing live solo, just playing keyboard with a looper, some kind of "ambient" music in the context of musical-visual arts exhibitions. Visuals are from Constanza Humeres, who painted the cover image of my solo album. There are also video (digital animation). This is my current musical activity. Here I use some new stuff and reelaborations of some of my solo album and of Tanger.
    As some of the band members are a little busy now (for example, Eduardo Ferreyra had his secund child a month ago) probably Tanger will be back next year. And I hope we could finish the new album.
    Sorry for my english, but it isn't so bad, no? Haha.
    Greetings.

http://composicionyarreglos.blogspot.com.ar/

http://www.youtube.com/user/tngr002

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuQ5...Hut4YfQ/videos

http://tangerband.blogspot.com.ar/

I got me some Tanger, but my memory is so bad I'm not sure what I have, but I know I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luisec View Post
    Hi
    Tanger is looking for a new drummer. We have 5 new tracks for a new record recorded with Marcos Saucedo, the drummer who left the band a pair of years ago. The 5 tracks are half a record as we decided to record another 5 that are already composed. We've been rehearsing with 2 new drummers but didn't work.
    This year I've been playing live solo, just playing keyboard with a looper, some kind of "ambient" music in the context of musical-visual arts exhibitions. Visuals are from Constanza Humeres, who painted the cover image of my solo album. There are also video (digital animation). This is my current musical activity. Here I use some new stuff and reelaborations of some of my solo album and of Tanger.
    As some of the band members are a little busy now (for example, Eduardo Ferreyra had his secund child a month ago) probably Tanger will be back next year. And I hope we could finish the new album.
    Sorry for my english, but it isn't so bad, no? Haha.
    Greetings.
    Bummer about your drummer. I certainly know about issues with membership. It's hard to keep people committed to making challenging music that doesn't have a huge audience. I hope you find someone and can do more music next year.

Your English is a whole lot better than my Spanish! I hope you post here more often, it would be great to get your perspective on Prog and a sense of what the scene is like in Argentina/South America.

Cheers!

Bill

Bummer about your drummer. I certainly know about issues with membership. It's hard to keep people committed to making challenging music that doesn't have a huge audience. I hope you find someone and can do more music next year.

Your English is a whole lot better than my Spanish! I hope you post here more often, it would be great to get your perspective on Prog and a sense of what the scene is like in Argentina/South America.

Cheers!

Bill
    I agree with Bill (as I often do). Hang out with us Luis, and let us know more about the current scene within the "southern cone"...

Oh! Issues with membership! It's really hard. You know, rehearsals, hard work and few or no money! You should really love music to hang out.
    Really I admit that I'm lucky as I've been working with great musicians for long time. And most of the ex-members are even my close friends. Two of them (Ignacio Lois and Julián De Ambrosio, guitarist and drummer on the first two albums) leave the band because they went to live in Spain, due to the Argentina's economic crisis 2001-2003. Well, I think we always live in economic crisis here.
    But drummers are a really headache. It's really difficult to find a good one with great musicianship and compromise. We had some funny experiences with drummers last two years, but soon we will be looking for a new one.
    Well, the current scene in the southern cone is not easy. There are a lot of bands here, really, but promoting and selling records is really a problem. Concerts have not much audience, but there are some guys who don't give up. Musically almost all happen here in Buenos Aires, but there's an important movement of bands in La Plata, a smaller nearby city (about 60 km from Buenos Aires) where every year takes place a festival. We have played there in 2011 and it was a nice experience.

Hi everyone!
    My solo album Secuencia is now full available at Bandcamp:

https://luiscolucci.bandcamp.com/album/secuencia

Greetings

composicionyarreglos.blogspot.com
    tangerband.blogspot.com
    youtube.com/tngr002

I have the album La Otra Cara.
    (Which I bought 10 years 1 month and 17 days ago . Wow, time flies! ).

It was long since I played it. I remember it as a nice album, but maybe not that spectacular. I'll pick it out and play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I have the album La Otra Cara.
    (Which I bought 10 years 1 month and 17 days ago . Wow, time flies! ).

It was long since I played it. I remember it as a nice album, but maybe not that spectacular. I'll pick it out and play it again.
    Not the best from Tanger, in my opinion. Is better "Mundos Paralelos"

Love some Tanger!! But please check Luis Colucci solo cd great stuff!

Any news from these guys? Are the band or Luis still active?

Bill

Any news from these guys? Are the band or Luis still active?

Bill
    Hi everyone.
    We are not playing together, at least for the moment. But we have released an EP with five tracks recorded some years ago that would be part of an unfinished album. I am composing and recording some new tracks, but no album for the moment.
    Here is the link to Tanger's "Asimetrías". You can listen to it online or download it.
    Hope you like it.
    Greetings.

https://viajeroinmovilrecords.bandca...simetr-as-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Love some Tanger!! But please check Luis Colucci solo cd great stuff!
    Thank you. I'm glad you like it!

Thank you for the wonderful music Luis! Always looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Thank you for the wonderful music Luis! Always looking forward to it.
    Ditto! I'll be checking out the tracks you posted. Really enjoy all the Tanger albums, and your solo disc, which I just threw on for a listen!

Cheers!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Luisec View Post
    Hi everyone.
    We are not playing together, at least for the moment. But we have released an EP with five tracks recorded some years ago that would be part of an unfinished album. I am composing and recording some new tracks, but no album for the moment.
    Here is the link to Tanger's "Asimetrías". You can listen to it online or download it.
    Hope you like it.
    Greetings.

https://viajeroinmovilrecords.bandca...simetr-as-2013
    Hola Luis!.
    Thanks!!.

Barazzo!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.