Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - Upcoming remixes

No Squeeze remixes please!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Welp, turns out the 80s iconic album is...

(Drum roll)

“Songs From the Big Chair” By Tears for Fears.
    (Am I the only one meh about it?)
    I don't know if you're the only one who feels that way about it, but for me that is great news.

Songs From The Big Chair is one of my favorites, from back when I first discovered it as a teenager.

Would love to hear SW's take on mixing this... Especially the track "Listen" -- that could be positively mind-expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don't know if you're the only one who feels that way about it, but for me that is great news.

Songs From The Big Chair is one of my favorites, from back when I first discovered it as a teenager.

Would love to hear SW's take on mixing this... Especially the track "Listen" -- that could be positively mind-expanding.
    Well, to tell you the truth I do not really know this album (only from what I heard on the radio, and those were traumatic years music-wise :P)

If I go back to the begining of the thread- then of the 5 albums that should be out this year:

1) Yes - Relayer
    2) GG- The power and the glory
    3) Jethro Tull - Warchild
    4) Iconic 80s 1 - TFF - Songs From The Big Chair , #1 in the US?
    5) Iconic 80s 2 - #1 in the UK - ????

Do I have the list right?

Well, to tell you the truth I do not really know this album (only from what I heard on the radio, and those were traumatic years music-wise :P)
    You should do yourself a favor and check it out sometime. It may have the 80s "sheen", but the songwriting surpassed a lot of their (perhaps more popular) contemporaries.

If I go back to the begining of the thread- then of the 5 albums that should be out this year:

1) Yes - Relayer
    2) GG- The power and the glory
    3) Jethro Tull - Warchild
    4) Iconic 80s 1 - TFF - Songs From The Big Chair , #1 in the US?
    5) Iconic 80s 2 - #1 in the UK - ????

Do I have the list right?
    I think that's correct. I was hoping one of those 80s albums might be XTC's Oranges & Lemons, but I doubt it now.

OK, then I will edit the list posted by Gerhard previously in this thread:
    By the process of elimination - of course these are only my thoughts about this -
    Too high profile for a SW remix (ie problematic labels, bands are control freaks etc) :

Genesis - Duke
    Paul McCartney - McCartney II
    Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel
    David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
    The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
    Phil Collins - Face Value
    Genesis - Abacab
    The Police - Ghost in the Machine
    Paul McCartney - Tug of War
    Dire Straits - Love over Gold
    U2 - War
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
    The Police - Synchronicity
    Genesis - Genesis
    U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
    Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Peter Gabriel - So
    Queen - A Kind of Magic
    Genesis - Invisible Touch
    U2 - The Joshua Tree
    Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun
    Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
    Queen - The Miracle
    Paul McCartney - Flowers in the Dirt
    Phil Collins - ...But Seriously

I dont think he would work on two albums by TFF, so I am also erasing these 2:
    Tears for Fears - The Hurting
    Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love

This one was already issues as 5.1 - I know it was not a reason in the past, but I dont think this one merits 2 5.1 mixes:
    Roxy Music - Avalon

This one just had the uber-deluxe treatment recently, so I dont see another one coming soon -
    Paul Simon - Graceland

And these are albums which Idont think are "iconic 80s" enough:
    The Pretenders - Pretenders
    Sky - Sky 2
    Roxy Music - Flesh and Blood
    Big Country - Steeltown
    The Style Council - Our Favourite Shop

So unless the original list of UK #1 is missing the album, my guess is that it will be one of the following:

Gary Numan - Telekon
    Kate Bush - Never for Ever
    ABBA - Super Trouper
    Electric Light Orchestra - Time
    ABBA - The Visitors
    Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
    Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger
    Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome
    Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
    Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
    Simple Minds - Once Upon a Time
    Kate Bush - The Whole Story
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    Prince - Lovesexy
    New Order - Technique
    Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years

(somehow I also doubt SW will work on an iron maiden album, but stranger things have happened )

Way too much thought going into this. Steven Wilson only works on albums he feels a personal connection with. Trying to figure out someone else's tastes in music is a fool's game. That being said, some of the choices above are mind-boggling, to say the least. Flowers in the Dirt? Really?

Suspended
    Welp, turns out the 80s iconic album is...

(Drum roll)

“Songs From the Big Chair” By Tears for Fears.
    Same here. Not because I don't like TFF, but because I don't see what's to be gained from a remix of something from this era of squeaky-clean production.

Someone asked about Steven remixing The Wall. I doubt that would happen, because I don't think he particularly likes it - unlike Dark Side of the Moon, which he loves, and which was one of the two albums that shaped his earliest musical direction. (You would never guess the other, unless you already knew.)
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 10-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Way too much thought going into this. Steven Wilson only works on albums he feels a personal connection with. Trying to figure out someone else's tastes in music is a fool's game. That being said, some of the choices above are mind-boggling, to say the least. Flowers in the Dirt? Really?
    Like I said - the original list is the list of #1 uk albums.
    So I do not understand what you find mind-boggling - the fact that it made it to #1?...
    I wrote this one in the category that I DONT THINK that will be mixed in 5.1, why do you think it is mind boggling?

Like I said - the original list is the list of #1 uk albums.
    So I do not understand what you find mind-boggling - the fact that it made it to #1?...
    I wrote this one in the category that I DONT THINK that will be mixed in 5.1, why do you think it is mind boggling?
    Mind-boggling because after all this time of SW saying OVER and OVER that he re-mixes only albums he feels connected to, people continue to insist on throwing things out there that either he would never consider or that nobody would need to hear again even if they lived another 1000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Same here. Not because I don't like TFF, but because I don't see what's to be gained from a remix of something from this era of squeaky-clean production.

Someone asked about Steven remixing The Wall. I doubt that would happen, because I don't think he particularly likes it - unlike Dark Side of the Moon, which he loves, and which was one of the two albums that shaped his earliest musical direction. (You would never guess the other, unless you already knew.)
    I do know, so I'll resist the urge to respond!

Personally, I'm a big fan of Songs From The Big Chair, so I look forward to what he does with it.

Songs From The Big Chair - Steve Wilson...I'm in!
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Songs from the Big Chair+Steve Wilson remix=Auto Buy

What was the Big Chair, anyway?

Edit- OK, apparently it's a Sybil reference, of all things... the real question is who the hell thinks this album needs a remix? I guess it's about doing 5.1...
    Last edited by trurl; 10-01-2014 at 03:51 PM.

This news has made a lot of Tears For Fears fans happy.

Unfortunately, TFF discs have been rereleased a few times over, already. Multi-disc packages and everything. They have more best of and greatest hits discs than studio albums.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    What was the Big Chair, anyway?

Edit- OK, apparently it's a Sybil reference, of all things... the real question is who the hell thinks this album needs a remix? I guess it's about doing 5.1...
    Yeah, I think that's the big pull. At least for me it is!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    MEH

Mind-boggling because after all this time of SW saying OVER and OVER that he re-mixes only albums he feels connected to, people continue to insist on throwing things out there that either he would never consider or that nobody would need to hear again even if they lived another 1000 years.
    Did you even bother reading my original message and the one that followed it? If you did, what didnt you understand in "I wrote this one in the category that I DONT THINK that will be mixed in 5.1" ? Do you need it in bold? Is the font too small? Just tell me what is it and I'll fix it...

Did you even bother reading my original message and the one that followed it? If you did, what didnt you understand in "I wrote this one in the category that I DONT THINK that will be mixed in 5.1" ? Do you need it in bold? Is the font too small? Just tell me what is it and I'll fix it...
    So now it's considered valuable to mention albums he's NOT going to work on? I guess that's a different approach. Good luck.

So now it's considered valuable to mention albums he's NOT going to work on? I guess that's a different approach. Good luck.
    I was just editing the list of #1 albums in the UK that was previously posted in this thread. But since you are just trolling around responding to messages you did not read thouroughly about subjects that dont interest you, I presume you did not read that message too.

CjFw8XDXAAA3rG-.jpg

https://twitter.com/dvsmusic

"Brother Ray visiting us this weekend. Lots of fun catching up. Another Steven Wilson remix this year?!"

From their Facebook page -

"We are thinking of 'Three Friends'..we'd love to re-do 'IAGH'..if anyone here knows where the multis are..SHOUT IT OUT!!!"

"Whipped cream and other delights" could use a re-mix. Need more treble on those trumpets. Maybe some street noises.

Add another MEH.
    Still alive and well...

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Crimso!
    From the KC Facebook:
    Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair, the second and third instalments of King Crimson’s ‘80s trilogy are to be released in October.

Released as part of the 40th Anniversary series they both feature new stereo mixes by Robert Fripp and Steven Wilson on CD and DVD-A, with a new 5.1 surround sound mix by Fripp and Wilson, along with original mixes in hi-res with audio and video extras, on the DVD-A.

Full-tracklistings for both albums and pre-sale orders through Inner Knot Records and Burning Shed will be announced in the coming weeks. Please note that all material on both Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair will also feature on the King Crimson boxed set, On and Off The Road 1981-1984, also due for release in October 2016.

More details on track listing and pre-order information will follow.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."