Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drummers who don't use cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Huh, I'd never noticed that.
    I should point out - I meant the entire album, not just the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by burning_muscles View Post
    I should point out - I meant the entire album, not just the title track.
    Well, half the album, I don't remember, but Running Up That Hill, Cloudbursting and Big Sky, I can hear it in my head...there's no cymbals on those songs. They've all got those tribal drums, ya know like Adam And The Ants or something.

Bob Muller, who worked with Trey Gunn (and apparently only with Trey Gunn--there is no info on the internet about him), often worked a song half with a traditional drum kit, half without with tuned percussion taking the place of cymbals.

Muller's playing on those Gunn albums is very good, and, much like Gunn himself, I wish Muller were more active (or still active?).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This may not be of much interest to prog fans but one of my all time favorite, desert island records (maybe even edging out Close to the Edge depending on mood)

Yes, there are some cymbal accents on the opening track however the drummer pretty much cruises through this record without the use of cymbals.
    Man how i love primitive rock music.

Robert Gotobed of Wire eschewed cymbals in the 80s. Was kind of a post-punk thing, IIRC
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This will be a short list... some of those early 80s bands like Adam Ant and Bow Wow Wow (who said Adam stole their sound) were pretty light on cymbals.
    Actually, what happened was Mal MacLaren hijacked the original Ants (the guys who backed Adam Ant on Dirk Wears White Sox) and put that Annabelle chick in front of them and rechristened them Bow Wow Wow. So if it seemed like you had two bands with a similar sound, it was largely because the one band was largely the original lineup of the other. And if the Bow Wow Wow people had no business complaining about other people "stealing" their sound (given that their big hit was largely lifted from Hey Bo Diddley).

I can't speak to Bow Wow Wow, but I was just listening to Stand And Deliver, and yeah, there's no cymbals on that track. Sounds like the drummers are riding on the toms.

Yeah, that's right, but it still does mean that the new Ants band "stole" the sound. Of course it did all go back to Bo Diddley and Scotty Moore too... I don't think Goody Two Shoes has cymbals but I'd have to listen. There might be a crash or two at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yeah, that's right, but it still does mean that the new Ants band "stole" the sound.
    Kinda sounds like the John Fogerty plagiarism case, if you ask me. I was about to suggest that the three or four Adam And The Ants song that I can hear in my head at any given time (ie Prince Charming, Picasso Visita El Planeta De Los Simios, Ant Music, Dog Eat Dog, and of course Stand And Deliver) bury all the Bow Wow Wow stuff I've heard, but then I've only heard a few of BWW's singles, and even then, I have to admit Do You Wanna Hold Me was a pretty good song.