Thread: Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - "Galactic Zoo Dossier"

Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - "Galactic Zoo Dossier"

Hi all,

I just finished playing this great classic psych album from Arthur Brown! WOW what an album it is, too - as much an experience and assault of the senses as it is a record! I just love the combination of hard rock elements wih more out-there avant garde. This record changes on a dime and is one of the most experimental, uncompromising, and just plain frightening things I've ever heard! And let's not forget the one and only Arthur Brown who howls his way through the whole thing like some tortured madman.

Any fans?

I had it back in the 80s and sold it
    sounded like a slapped together, hodge-podge, gigantic mess
    I guess if I had to say something good about it...

it is definitely a time capsule of the Hippy/LSD era
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I realluy love this one, though I have a slight preferrance for their third album Journey (their second one is a totalm miss with me.

MT: yeah, I can undersrtand your comment about its messyness, but if you liked Gong's messyness, A'sKC should not be a problem... I'd suggest you give GZD another try... though Journey might be easier at first contaxct (try to find the cosmic artwork, insteadof the "flower" one, though.

I understand Esoteric's rekics are much better than the Voiceprint label mess
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I got this in 1972 and it's still the finest piece of music ever recorded. But I won't try to dissuade morons like poster #2 otherwise.

Love the first part of this piece: Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - The Hymn
    Listen - http://www.songlyrics.com/arthur-bro...e-hymn-lyrics/

This is my body
    Hair sticking strangely
    Through my skin make me
    But when you stroke my fur, ah ooh

This is my body
    It is a home for my mind
    Beating soft time

My clock pumps brain along my skin
    Where five doorways
    Bring strange travelers
    Before the Father's judgment

This is my body
    It is a temple for my soul
    Where in seven stairways
    Bring messengers of freedom
    To the altar in my heart

Built on twin pillars of pain and joy
    There burns the flame of love
    For my fellow beings

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    IMO, Galactic Zoo Dossier is a stone cold classic, and yes it is a time capsule, but a mess? I think there is too much thought and flow going to to merit that. Then again, I think I have a higher tolerance for that kind of thing than most folks. I think GZD is less chaotic or "messy" than the debut of Faust or The Residents, for example, but using a similar approach: each album-side is less a series of songs and more of an audio-collage, conceived as a whole listening experience of which music is a key, but not sole, element.

That said, the band does get down to delivering the goods on the album, never fear.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Love this record. To me it made good on the promise of the Crazy World.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

It was always a decent seller for us, so lots must like it I would have though!

Love this album as well.

The second album is pretty damn good too.

The album proves one thing for sure... Passport photo booths are the pits.

I suppose it comes downto whether you like a bit of chaos. Thankfully the musique concrete parts are mercifully brief and on the whole it is quite musical. The footage of this band in Glastonbury movie is a personal fovourite. I do favour Journey though.

GZD certainly carries that same underground vibe that can be found on records by the Pink Fairies, High Tide, Edgar Broughton et al. This is a good thing!

Arthur's best, maybe..

Yeah, this is an excellent album.

This album rips my mind apart everytime I hear it, but then I like that sort if thing. No one said it was for everyone. When it was over, I wanted to hear something like it. How are the other Kingdom Come albums?

Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come were awesome. The stage act was fantastic opening with AB being carried on stage on a cross. Saw them a few times and still have the 3 vinyl albums. I don't think GZD is messy but the second album is IMHO. Journey is excellent. The new Victor Peraino album has Arthur on it and a new version of Time Captives but with "proper" drums, not Ace Bentley.

One more reason '71 was arguably "Prog's" best year. Great organ tones, and props to drummer Martin Steer. The only misstep is "Trouble." Otherwise, exquisitely demented!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The second album is pretty damn good too.
    I prefer that one, and the Rustic Hinge sessions; arguably the most esoteric stuff from the early UK progressive era next to Comus.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM