Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New issue of PROG magazine reveals.......

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Oh, boo-hoo. The Top 20 was totally predictable prog masterpieces. Well..duh! As well they should be. Those are all the top notch releases in the prog world, and while I may have other preferences, this is destiny we're talking about!

Know what the real shocker is? That there is a magazine out in 2014 called PROG and that it has been successful for many years now, and that hoards of new prog bands and re-arrangements of old band members keep popping up. Life is good. Prog is good. All is well.

Absolutely, the same albums will crop up because these are the ones that the army of people still into Prog have great affection for, play over and over again and have stood the test of time. Oh and by the way as to why have Steven Wilson, Marillion in there etc, these guys are human you know and nice guys and would probably agree with that comment too. Its a numbers game pure and simple, no-one is saying VDGG or Gong or Caravan or Tangerine Dream or Henry Cow or Egg or Magma etc havent done masterpieces or are rubbish, just not sufficient numbers voted for these as for the ones on the poll. thats how polls work. Look at any threads involving "Yes" on here and the sheer vast numbers of people participating, Yes clearly have a very large and loyal following and particularly on this site and people love talking about them for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Awesome name!
    Heh, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Of course it is.

The vast majority of prog fans have not explored even of a fraction of the great, lesser known prog bands out there, past and present. Hell, even your short list of missing bands didn't even include a single Italian band.
    Whoops, you got me there! I'm spinning some PFM in penitence, with Lazuli next on my playlist

Totally agree with you though re the death of curiosity for most. The day my search for new music stops advancing will be the day I finally shuffle off this earth, it has been a constant voyage of discovery for me for 40 years, and I have barely scratched the surface compared to some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Whoops, you got me there! I'm spinning some PFM in penitence, with Lazuli next on my playlist

Totally agree with you though re the death of curiosity for most. The day my search for new music stops advancing will be the day I finally shuffle off this earth, it has been a constant voyage of discovery for me for 40 years, and I have barely scratched the surface compared to some of you.
    and I can say I never stop hearing music I would never have heard in a million years--whether I like it or not! LOL!

Surprised to see an album by MANSUN on the list. Would not have associated them as Prog in a million years. Great band though!!!

Days of Future Passed should have been on the list. I also think an argument could be made for The Yes Album, TFTO and Quadrophenia.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Days of Future Passed should have been on the list. I also think an argument could be made for The Yes Album, TFTO and Quadrophenia.

Bill
    That list was only the top 20, it goes down to 100 (see separate thread now posted of full list). Quadrophenia is missing though, and shouldn't be in my book.

In relation to the varied queries appearing concerning the new HD iPad version of Prog Magazine we can assure you that no one has lost their subscription or is being asked to pay for a new subscription. Essentially, ownership of the digital editions of all TeamRock magazines (Classic Rock, Metal Hammer, Prog, The Blues Magazine, AOR) has, under the terms of the agreement of the sale from Future Publishing last year, transferred to TeamRock. However Apple will not allow two different companies to hold the same product. So all Prog back issues are held on the old container app whilst from now on, the new ones appear on the new container app. As long as you don’t delete your old container app, then you still have access to all your back issues.

The following information from the FAQs may be of assistance. Or simply contact digitalhelp@teamrock.com.

I have a subscription to the magazine via the old app. How do I activate it for the new app?

In the first instance, you will need to contact our customer services team by phone or email (details below). We will then need to authenticate your subscription manually. Once your subscription has been authenticated you will be able to access the new app by signing in with the details that will be provided to you.

* Telephone: 01604-251040
    * Email: digitalhelp@teamrock.com

How do I download my back issues?
    Once your subscription has been verified you will be able to download for free any back issue that you are entitled to from within the term of your subscription.

How come I cannot see all of my back issues?

There will only be one year’s worth of back issues in the new app to start with, but over time we may add in some more. In the meantime, you will have to keep the old magazine app in order to continue being able to view your back issues. Note: if you delete the old app or update your device or operating system you will lose all issues in your library for good.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    1 - Yes - CTTE
    2 - Crimson - ITCOTCK
    3 - Genesis - SEBTP
    4 - Floyd - DSOTM
    5 - Tull - TAAB
    6 - Genesis - Foxtrot
    7 - Floyd - WYWH
    8 - Genesis - TLLDOB
    9 - Steven Wilson - TRTRTS
    10 - Yes - Fragile
    11 - ELP - BSS
    12 - Crimson - Red
    13 - Rush - Moving pictures
    14 - Floyd - Animals
    15 - Rush - 2112
    16 - Floyd - The Wall
    17 - Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2
    18 - Porcupine Tree - FOABP
    19 - Yes - Relayer
    20 - Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
    I think it's funny to realize we all can read above abbreviations.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Know what the real shocker is? That there is a magazine out in 2014 called PROG and that it has been successful for many years now, and that hoards of new prog bands and re-arrangements of old band members keep popping up. Life is good. Prog is good. All is well.
    True that!

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Best PE post of 2014!
    Yes, it's so fantastic!!

And although 3/4 of "prog" releases nowadays are from non-Angloamerican countries, one shouldn't write about that; better concentrate 90% on stuff from England and the US or better still namecheck them from whether or not they are issuing music on InsideOut.

There is at best one - 1 - authoritative list of 'progressive rock music' out there; one in which contributors attest to certain verse and general level of overall, encompassing knowledge as to who/cause-effect/theory/historiography. It's Gnosis.

Again: there's no "prog scene" as once was; those virtues are all but *dead*. People are NOT relating to the music itself, but to their very own subjective level of habitus and confirmed identity. No *actual* new music, no development ('cause 1971-75 was "the best" 'cause we say so 'cause that's "us") - no fucking progressive rock.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 08-07-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Gnosis list is very good but not for Symph weenies
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The Gnosis list is very good but not for Symph weenies
    No but yes. Although "symph" covers about 1/5 of the total progressive rock mass, the classics feature prominently among the top titles at Gnosis. Only that these are reviewers substantially more versed in the broadness of the whole deal, thus rewarding actual *progressive rock* developments their due acclamation while leaving the "Genesis-rock"/"Yes-rock" eternals a lower shoulder. The initial "symph" rock groups were great because they created things - the copycats are bad because they aren't even trying, and probably can't.

Although exceptions obviously exist... But then where's Discipline on any such list?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's what you get when the public vote, lots of standard responses and the top bands filling all the top spots.

Floyd - 4 albums
    Yes - 3
    Genesis - 3
    Crimson - 2
    Rush -2
    Tull, SW, PT, ELP, Marillion, DT - 1 each
    Two for SW. I've never listened to FOABP - guess I should give it a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yes, it's so fantastic!!.
    I stand by my statement. If you so strongly disagree with the focus of the magazine and the results of its poll, then by all means, start you own magazine that focuses on this whole other segment that you feel isn't getting fair recognition. Believe it or not, I am not saying that your statement is untrue or wrong. It's just not the focus of Prog magazine.

I stand by my statement. If you so strongly disagree with the focus of the magazine and the results of its poll, then by all means, start you own magazine that focuses on this whole other segment that you feel isn't getting fair recognition. Believe it or not, I am not saying that your statement is untrue or wrong. It's just not the focus of Prog magazine.
    Or Prog fans in general! Those other prog sub-genres hold little appeal to the wider prog public, hence their obvious absence from such polls!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Or Prog fans in general! Those other prog sub-genres hold little appeal to the wider prog public, hence their obvious absence from such polls!
    The "wider prog public" are by definition into the remaining 4/5 of what this music is about. This is why certain krautrock bands have turned ten times the copy of sympho-lympho "big six"-wannabes these past 25 years.

That's fair. We DID have our "own" magazine that focused not on "this whole other segment", but on the total mass of progressive rock music. That's why the magazine was a success and an influence for 15 years and nearly 60 issues. What YOU are reading in your current magazine, isn't a specified, declared "genre" - it's a narrowed-down, popularized rendition of an idiom. Like the US kids who still think the death toll in Vietnam came down to 58,200.

There were three million casualties, dude.

Which magazine are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Which magazine are you referring to?
    Believe it or not, but it was named Tarkus and initially arose from two other, separate 'zines originating in the "prog renaissance" wave of the early 90s. When All About Jazz or other media of relevance are writing extensive articles on the burgeoning Norwegian "creative music" scene in Norway these days (comprising several acts that are indeed about as progressive rock as you get), I'm pretty darn proud that our mag played a role in rendering the concept of 'progressive rock' a ratified component in its developments.

I'm assuming it wasn't available in the US, because I've never heard of it! (Or I'm too young to have known about it at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'm assuming it wasn't available in the US, because I've never heard of it! (Or I'm too young to have known about it at the time).
    It was entirely in Norwegian, friend!

Bummer! (Good for you, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That's fair. We DID have our "own" magazine that focused not on "this whole other segment", but on the total mass of progressive rock music. That's why the magazine was a success and an influence for 15 years and nearly 60 issues. What YOU are reading in your current magazine, isn't a specified, declared "genre" - it's a narrowed-down, popularized rendition of an idiom. Like the US kids who still think the death toll in Vietnam came down to 58,200.

There were three million casualties, dude.
    Well, more like 1 million. Still a lot, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Magazine View Post
    In relation to the varied queries appearing concerning the new HD iPad version of Prog Magazine we can assure you that no one has lost their subscription or is being asked to pay for a new subscription. Essentially, ownership of the digital editions of all TeamRock magazines (Classic Rock, Metal Hammer, Prog, The Blues Magazine, AOR) has, under the terms of the agreement of the sale from Future Publishing last year, transferred to TeamRock. However Apple will not allow two different companies to hold the same product. So all Prog back issues are held on the old container app whilst from now on, the new ones appear on the new container app. As long as you don’t delete your old container app, then you still have access to all your back issues.

The following information from the FAQs may be of assistance. Or simply contact digitalhelp@teamrock.com.

I have a subscription to the magazine via the old app. How do I activate it for the new app?

In the first instance, you will need to contact our customer services team by phone or email (details below). We will then need to authenticate your subscription manually. Once your subscription has been authenticated you will be able to access the new app by signing in with the details that will be provided to you.

* Telephone: 01604-251040
    * Email: digitalhelp@teamrock.com

How do I download my back issues?
    Once your subscription has been verified you will be able to download for free any back issue that you are entitled to from within the term of your subscription.

How come I cannot see all of my back issues?

There will only be one year’s worth of back issues in the new app to start with, but over time we may add in some more. In the meantime, you will have to keep the old magazine app in order to continue being able to view your back issues. Note: if you delete the old app or update your device or operating system you will lose all issues in your library for good.
    i followed all of the above instructions and do not have access to my new issues or my old. I have sent several emails and still have not gotten this fixed. I deleted my old app, thinking at may be the problem, so I have no access to any of the prog mags i have paid for over the last few years. I am able to sign in under my prog rock id but none of my purchases or subscriptions appear. I just renewed for 6 mos. in June. I am very frustrated. Please fix this!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well, more like 1 million. Still a lot, obviously.
    Historian alert! 1 is the lowest estimate, 3 1/2 the highest. The 3 mark includes the Cambodians of the 1970-2 campaigns, as well as the lives lost during the French Indochine theater because the US involvement is frequently interpreted as a continuation of said operation.