Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncut - Fripp - resentment - Yes

Uncut - Fripp - resentment - Yes

The latest issue of UK magazine Uncut (Sep 2014) has big articles on Crimson, Yes and Robert Plant. In the Crimson article, Fripp says:

This is the first King Crimson [...] where at least one member of the band does not hold resentment or active antipathy towards me.
    Hmmm... so the only member of the last Crimson not in this time around is Belew, so is he saying Belew holds resentment or antipathy towards him? (Or maybe one of the other band members used to be resentful, but aren't now?) And who was it in 1974? Wetton or Bruford?

Fripp also hints at new material: the article says Fripp has made a start, "but we don't have the time for me to continue that process at the moment."

Haven't got to the Yes article yet!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

As much as I love Fripp, sometimes he's just need to stfu...

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    As much as I love Fripp, sometimes he's just need to stfu...
    Or do a little self-reflection on why his bands always end up hating him.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Hmmm... so the only member of the last Crimson not in this time around is Belew, so is he saying Belew holds resentment or antipathy towards him?
    There was the whole I Have A Dream thing that went on between them.

Belew comes across as one of the nicest guys ever..and I remember reading Wetton sayin that he'd thought he was gonna be in Crimson a long time....

Uh,

McDonald
    Haskell
    boz
    Broof
    Belew
    Gunn

Just speculating here. Now Levin and Fripp have always seemed to have gotten along swimmingly

What's the Yes article?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    What's the Yes article?
    It's an 'Album by Album' feature. Albums are Yes, The Yes Album-Tormato, 90125 and Heaven & Earth, each with short quotes from Anderson, White, Howe and/or Squire. Those cover the familiar stories, but some new stuff: interesting to see Anderson, White and Howe all being so negative about Tormato. 3 pages. Plant gets a huge article, 11 pages.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There was the whole I Have A Dream thing that went on between them.
    And in the '80s incarnation, there was the incident where Belew kicked Fripp out of the studio during the mixing of Beat.

It's an 'Album by Album' feature. Albums are Yes, The Yes Album-Tormato, 90125 and Heaven & Earth, each with short quotes from Anderson, White, Howe and/or Squire.
    So what does Anderson have to say about H&E?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I thought Fripp walked out (as opposed to be kicked out) during the final production of Beat, and no one knew if he was going to return or not.

I guess the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I thought Fripp walked out (as opposed to be kicked out) during the final production of Beat, and no one knew if he was going to return or not.

I guess the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Also, wasn't Bill unhappy with the rhythmic ideas and production on Three of a Perfect Pair, which he considered too pop-y? I thought that was cause of friction between him and Fripp, but this is based on something I remember reading a long time ago.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I thought that was cause of friction between [Bruford] and Fripp
    I've always found it puzzling that Fripp continued to work with him, as critical of his playing as he was.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I've always found it puzzling that Fripp continued to work with him, as critical of his playing as he was.
    Who else could have done it? Also, maybe Bruford was very good at coming up with parts Fripp liked - even though every time he first had to be argued into not playing jazz or anything like it.

This is entirely a guess.

The latest issue of UK magazine Uncut (Sep 2014) has big articles on Crimson, Yes and Robert Plant. In the Crimson article, Fripp says:

Hmmm... so the only member of the last Crimson not in this time around is Belew, so is he saying Belew holds resentment or antipathy towards him? (Or maybe one of the other band members used to be resentful, but aren't now?) And who was it in 1974? Wetton or Bruford?

Fripp also hints at new material: the article says Fripp has made a start, "but we don't have the time for me to continue that process at the moment."

Henry
    Pretty sure it's Trey Gunn.
    As for 74 it could be both Bruford or Cross.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    So what does Anderson have to say about H&E?
    "It's no FFH."

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Pretty sure it's Trey Gunn.
    As for 74 it could be both Bruford or Cross.
    Trey wasn't in the '08 KC lineup so, if Fripp's quotation is genuine, it wouldn't apply to him. And, honestly, what possible beef would Gunn have with Fripp in the first place? 'You gave me a career--but not a terribly profitable one.'?

Unless something crucial is hidden by the ellipsis in the quote, if we take Fripp literally (which he deserves, given the labored and affected syntax he uses), he is actually saying that all past members of King Crimson have held resentment or antipathy toward him, and this is the first lineup to include someone who does not.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Unless something crucial is hidden by the ellipsis in the quote, if we take Fripp literally (which he deserves, given the labored and affected syntax he uses), he is actually saying that all past members of King Crimson have held resentment or antipathy toward him, and this is the first lineup to include someone who does not.
    That's the way I took it, though I thought he might be exaggerating.

Henry
    Pretty sure Bill had antipathy toward him, he's sort of an annoying ego maniac---wonder if Fripp sees a shrink? lol----wouldn't be so sure no one holds antipathy in this line-up---how would you really know? I'd watch my back.

I'm sure Fripp would be a fairly tough guy to be in a band with. It's more or less his way or the highway and he can be crazy anal about some things (photos, etc.).

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Read Fripp with very dry irony in mind, something that does not immediately translate in quotes taken from their original context, written down, and posted on the internet.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    I'm sure Fripp would be a fairly tough guy to be in a band with. It's more or less his way or the highway and he can be crazy anal about some things (photos, etc.).

I'm sure Fripp would be a barrel of laughs at the Meet and Greet.

Assuming he's serious (which is not a safe assumption, but just for the hell of it), he has probably put his finger on why so many incarnations of the band were so good: that underlying sense of conflict and tension is everywhere in the music and it makes it special. The Who were always at their best when Townshend was being a prat to Daltrey.

If this new line-up of KC is really a sunshine-band then I don't hold out much hope for them!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I'm sure Fripp would be a barrel of laughs at the Meet and Greet.
    I've been to 4 or 5 m & g in-store appearances with RF (80's-90's) and he was quite warm and charming, signing a number of records, programs, photos, ticket stubs and more.
    He took time with everyone, listened attentively to what was said, answered with well thought out responses and was humorous in an "English" sort of way much like Bruford.
    (Me- "I was at all the Savoy shows." RF- "So was I.")
    It's when fans approach him on his personal time, pestering for autographs and pictures that he's not "accommodating". He owes nothing to anyone. As he has stated many times, more often than not, most fans who approach always end up wanting something more than a smile, handshake or polite conversation.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    If this new line-up of KC is really a sunshine-band then I don't hold out much hope for them!
    "KC and the Sunshine Band"???