Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 Greatest bassists. John Taylor???? Really????

60 Greatest bassists. John Taylor???? Really????

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...ll-time-279007

Entwistle is at 7, Sqiure at 20. Duran Duran's John Taylor is at 1.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...ll-time-279007

Entwistle is at 7, Sqiure at 20. Duran Duran's John Taylor is at 1.

Bill
    I think I saw this poll pop up over at talkbass.com. We all had a hearty laugh at it.

John Taylor does not even play all the bass parts on Power Station.

A lot of 45 year old women hanging out over there at Music Radar...

Is there any way to see the entire list without helping their Google rankings by clicking 60 times?

I hate those fucking slide shows.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Is there any way to see the entire list without helping their Google rankings by clicking 60 times?

Yeah, I hate that click-bait crap. It's just so they can get more page views and soak their advertisers. When I see that I close the tab on my browser and move on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

A slide-show list of 10 would be just about tolerable but 60 is taking the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I hate that click-bait crap.
    Accordingly, I'll just assume that neither Ray Shulman nor Louis Cennamo are listed and pass.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 08-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

what a load of complete rubbish--John Taylor better than Jack Bruce or Paul McCartney or Chris Squire !!

What makes it even more insulting was that JT wasn't even one of the better bass players of the 80s, with guys like Mark King, Nick Beggs, Pino Pallidino, and so many others doing killer work in a very pop music context.

This is click- bait. It is designed to piss you off so you go there and log on, and this way they can monetize their site. Don't do it.

Having said that, what, no Jack Casady?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Accordingly, I'll just assume that neither Ray Shulman nor Louis Cennamo are listed and pass.
    and John Gustafson and Mont Campbell!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    What makes it even more insulting was that JT wasn't even one of the better bass players of the 80s, with guys like Mark King, Nick Beggs, Pino Pallidino, and so many others doing killer work in a very pop music context.
    It looks like the list had the desired effect, lot's of hits and comments...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

John Greaves couldn't crack that list?..

Fie!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The one that jumped out at me was the bassist for The Cure. I think he was #3. Never noticed his bass work as I don't care for the band/music. Is he at least solid?

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one, they all stink and nobody wants to hear yours.

The list seems to be based on the idea that the popularity of the band has anything to do with the quality of the individual musicians in it.

And of course they threw in Mingus, Clarke and Pastorius for some cred.

I mean seriously, Mingus at number 37?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    The one that jumped out at me was the bassist for The Cure. I think he was #3. Never noticed his bass work as I don't care for the band/music. Is he at least solid?
    He's like the band.....DODGY!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If you read the fine print, the rankings were actually based on nut size.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Dunno about bassists, but he's a hell of a piano player.

This morning when I first found the list, there was no slide show. Just the list of 1-60. Oh well. I notice there was no Bill Wyman either. I don't think Wetton made the list either.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Sometimes when I work out on my treadmill I will have Palladia on. This past weekend there happened to be a Cure concert on the tube and I watched about a half hour of it while on the mill. I am not familiar with the Cure at all other than their hits, but I was kind of impressed with them instrumentally. The lead guitarist was quite good and I thought the bass player was pretty good too (although I saw nothing at the level of some of the other guys on the list of 60). Now I have no clue if this guy was the original bass player or not, but he was at least decent.

For all the bellyachin' I expected the list to be total shit...actually, not a bad collection of talent at all...just some of the placements are a bit off
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

If you are referring to Simon Gallup, he's a very solid rock bassist and plays what the tunes need but certainly shouldn't be #3.

It's cool that Mick Karn made the list.