Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trojan Horse

Wow.

Are you okay over there, Frank? Is it scotch night? I'm dipping into some Knob Creek single barrel myself...

For some reason -- and I have no idea why this happened -- I jumped from Trojan Horse to Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream, to be specific). How is this possible?!

I'm digging it though.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Are you okay over there, Frank? Is it scotch night? I'm dipping into some Knob Creek single barrel myself...

For some reason -- and I have no idea why this happened -- I jumped from Trojan Horse to Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream, to be specific). How is this possible?!

I'm digging it though.
    Every time this thread pops up, I seem to be in an "altered" state....sort of crazy how this happens! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Every time this thread pops up, I seem to be in an "altered" state....sort of crazy how this happens! Wow.
    Okay, that's pretty funny. How about now?

Tonight it's Four Roses single barrel and some Todd Rundgren and Tame Impala.

How is the new Trojan Horse album by the way? I could just listen to it on Bandcamp, but I am curious how it has held up for you gents here. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

How is the new Trojan Horse album by the way? I could just listen to it on Bandcamp, but I am curious how it has held up for you gents here. Thoughts?
    It's a little bit more electronic, perhaps more slick in spots. In the liner notes, they namecheck some of the music they were listening to while writing and recording the album. Flying Lotus and Thundercat both show up on that list, and their influence on sounds and approach seem obvious.

This is not a bad thing, but the album did take me a while to completely warm up to--or perhaps digest--despite some immediately responsive tunes like "The Modern Apothecary." That one's a monster.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It's a little bit more electronic, perhaps more slick in spots. In the liner notes, they namecheck some of the music they were listening to while writing and recording the album. Flying Lotus and Thundercat both show up on that list, and their influence on sounds and approach seem obvious.

This is not a bad thing, but the album did take me a while to completely warm up to--or perhaps digest--despite some immediately responsive tunes like "The Modern Apothecary." That one's a monster.
    Man, if they were influenced by Flying Lotus and Thundercat, that's pretty darn awesome! Those guys are incredible, true artistes (with an 'e'). Along with Kamasi Washington, I think they're making some of the most exciting jazz-based music nowadays.

Once I've absorbed this one, I will definitely be checking out the newer Trojan Horse disc. Thanks for the info!

Seems that the band isn't necessarily calling it a day, but they are changing. The band posted this on their FB page yesterday:

Hiya,
    Settle in, we come bearing news...
    Firstly, lets get the (arguably) shit stuff out of the way. Trojan Horse are going into deep hibernation, semi-retirement, hiatus, whatever you want to call it.
    Since we released Fukushima Surfer Boys, and as we've been writing and recording the latest material, it's become apparent we're changing as an entity, and what's coming out has been progressing substantially further from the concept of TH as "a weird rock band", further than we'd ever anticipated (blame Guy for introducing us to Flying Lotus). As such we've decided that after numerous attempts to transmute our current set up into a framework that doesn't lend itself to guitar/bass/drums/keys/vocals (to our level of scrutiny anyway) that we will just stop doing 'Trojan Horse the weird rock band' for a bit.
    We aren't splitting up, we're just going to stop forcing it and try something else in a different way that means we have to LEARN things, and think about how to present that to you once we've done that.
    That's going to take time, but....
    - WE'VE GOT A LOAD OF NEW MATERIAL RECORDED and in the bank already. So an album will be on the way, under a new moniker.
    - We have a final EP of things we recorded straight off the back of FSB, which either didn't fit on that album, or we wanted to do something specific and challenge ourselves, which you can have for nowt (as we're nice, and it's only right we give you something back for your support) it's on Bandcamp, and it's called 'Wicker'.
    https://trojanhorse.bandcamp.com/album/wicker
    - PLUS we're finishing up a compilation of 'Odds & Sods' it's various live recordings, demos, stuff that didn't make it onto albums, plus the bits and pieces we've recorded on as a band/a few of us but not as 'Trojan Horse'.
    - We're doing a few gigs to round off this phase of things. So you can catch us at:
    July 26th: LION FEST II 40th BIRTHDAY PARTY FESTIVAL
    August 8th: Trojan Horse / Astral Bodies / Tutherun at Night and Day Cafe
    And probably like London, or something...if we can get something sorted.
    If you're still reading this, well done.
    Thank you to everyone for your support for what we've been doing as a bunch of weirdos who like playing odd music for the last TWELVE-POINT-FIVE-FUCKING-YEARS.
    "All things change, and we change with them"
    TH
    x

https://www.facebook.com/trojanhorse...OX1pX6lWC_797c

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Listened to Wicker yesterday I like it & will buy it. Shame to hear they are calling it a day. I'll keep a look out for future projects.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah. I’ll definitely DL Wicker and grab whatever else these musicians put out. I listened today to the last album for the first time in a while. It’s quite good.

Cool, see you at Night & Day!