Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best US reality TV

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Bob Dylan has one of the worst reputations around in regards to how he often treats fans who ask for autographs.
    I'll have to take your word for it, as I don't know one way or the other. I can't imagine fans get much access to him, anyway. I'm pretty sure he doesn't walk the streets.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't walk the streets.

^^

I mean in real life.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^

I mean in real life.
    I've read that he likes to arrive early/still dark in the town he's working in that night and go walking while most people are sleeping. Emphasis on "I've read that".

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^^

I mean in real life.
    He walks around with an entourage that includes a Gene Simmons impersonator and a Hispanic drag king & others on a regular basis.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My wife and I have watched “Survivor” from the very first season. It is one of the originals and still one of the best IMO.

I like “Pawn Stars” ok. Don’t go out of my way to watch it, but will occasionally when it is on. I read Rick’s book last year and it was pretty interesting.

I will occasionally watch “Hardcore Pawn” since I know exactly where that Pawn Shop is in Detroit and city is full of people like those that come into the store.

I will sometimes watch “Storage Wars”. A buddy of mine used to run one of those storage places back in the 90’s and they would hold auctions of abandoned units, just like they do on the show. Sometimes he would grab good stuff out of them before the sale began (not sure to this day how he got away with that).

There is a new one that just started last week on the history channel called “Dark Horse Nation” which is filmed at Dark Horse Brewery which is only about a half hour from where I live. I have been to the Brewery several times, so have interest in the show due to that. They seem to trying to make it into kind of another “Duck Dynasty” so far. Only two episodes have aired so jury is still out on it.

I also dig "Deadliest Catch" and have watched every season.
    technically, storage units are subject to rental laws and grabbing valuable crap out before the auction can be illegal because the owner of the stuff has the same rights as such: they can pay up to the beginning of the auction. I looked it up, believe it or not.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I used to love SYTYCD and in fact the dancers are uber-talented. But the judging panel on the show is the absolute worst, most annoying, narrow-minded set of judges anywhere on TV. Mary HOT TAMALE TRAIN lady is cat nails on a chalk board annoying and Nigel ARE YOU SURE YOU"RE 18?? is a letch. If I see this show on now I watch the routines and FFWD through the commentary.
    if i had to sit next to Mary when she lets out the southern climax scream, i would have to shoot her. my mom watches this show...at least they play some stuff that is not mainstream for people to dance to.

I watch on occassion Storage Wars, Storage Hunters, both Oddities and Restaurant Stakeout. I have seen Restaurant Impossible, but Irvine gets on my nerves, and Mystery Diners, which is so staged that it makes professional wrestling look legit.

Storage Wars and Storage Hunters are interesting because of the stuff found in the lockers, although I know some of the lockers are staged (you have a storage unit with no climate control in a desert. they throw open the door and there's stuff WITH NO DUST ON IT. I have a storage unit near a field and there's dust on everything.). The biggest annoyances on these are the fake ass trash talking and near brawls that go on, especially from the couple on Storage Hunters. On Storage Wars, Barry was added to provide color and humor because watching a bunch of scavengers go at each other over the crap deadbeats leave behind (seriously-you think people find the good crap you see on these shows as a norm? bet in reality for every storage unit that has a vintage motorcycle or a cache of valuable collectibles, there's a dozen or more full of broken furniture, dirt encrusted artificial trees and wreaths and outright trash) is like watching paint dry. Barry was originally an owner of a California produce chain that he sold when he retired. The guys who created the show knew him and added him in-that's why he can do the crazy shit he does.

Mystery Diners seems to oddly stumble upon the weirdest damn problems going on in a eatery. Restaurant Stakeout must be doing something wrong because all they find are arguing chefs and waiters and the occassional flame dancing bartender or busboy busting a move in the middle of the dining area. How many damn restaurants have their chief bartenders or their managers running "secret businesses" after the restaurant closed for the night or conduct "secret tex mex nights" without SOME evidence shit is going down? Plus, there are tie ins to other reality shows-one Mystery Diners took place at the Full Throttle Saloon (of Tru notariety).

I watched Operation Repo once in a while, usually out of boredom, just to see how many collection laws were broken. Most of these reality shows are not realities-they are fantasies of what the folks in that field wish they could do. For example, in a real repossession, you cannot grab the person out of the vehicle if they jump in to protest the repossession, damage personal property, curse at them or misrepresent yourself, especially as a lawyer or law enforcement, but all those things go on in the repo reality shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    technically, storage units are subject to rental laws and grabbing valuable crap out before the auction can be illegal because the owner of the stuff has the same rights as such: they can pay up to the beginning of the auction. I looked it up, believe it or not.
    Yea, I agree it is illegal, which is why I am not sure how he got away with it. He was basically stealing. Never anything big, but sometimes he ended up with stuff in his possession that I am pretty sure he did not purchase at the auction. He eventually got fired from the job......maybe that is why. He never talked about it, I just remember having to move him and his wife out of their apartment (on site) in the middle of a very bad blizzard.

Without any opinion on her credibility, if I get a chance & it's on, I'll pop on Long Island Medium w/Theresa Caputo. Growing up very close to Long Island, I watch it just to hear her (and most of her clients) tauwk the way they tauwk (fuggetaboutit!). I hate stereotyping/profiling as a rule, but this show is so laughable to me because all the Italian-Americans in it (about 80% of everybody on the show, at least) sound just like all the Italians I grew up with in New Yauck City in a mixed Irish-Italian-Jewish neighborhood in Queens that is now almost completely Middle Eastern & Asian.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Oddities is very fun. It is probably largely staged, but you get the sense that that's the kind of people and items that they typically do get in the shop. The couple that run the place would be a blast to hang out with.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Oddities is very fun. It is probably largely staged, but you get the sense that that's the kind of people and items that they typically do get in the shop. The couple that run the place would be a blast to hang out with.
    the San Francisco one is funny-I don't know how they exist, as half the stuff people bring in is "illegal under California law". One guy brought in a walrus skull, which was illegal-until they found Eskimo drawing carved into it. Then it was a-okay!

But Oddities has two stores I would definitely shop at! I alsi like Wednesday and Ryan in both
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-10-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Living la vida creepy!

I've seen Oddities a few times and it's pretty cool. I've only seen it on very late at night, though.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yea, I like Oddities too, but like Pawn Stars, Cajun Stars, American Pickers and the Cowboy pickers I hate the scripted "history lessons" they give about objects...NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE knows that much about that many different subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yea, I like Oddities too, but like Pawn Stars, Cajun Stars, American Pickers and the Cowboy pickers I hate the scripted "history lessons" they give about objects...NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE knows that much about that many different subjects.
    American Pickers doesn't come off as scripted to me.

It doesn't have that awkward scripted feel that a lot of the other shows have, but I gotta believe that there's some preparation way before they just walk up to someone's house and knock on the door. I know Danielle at the office calls the sellers ahead of time and all that, but when these guys claim that they go on "freestyle" cold calls I still think that the sellers have to have some advanced notice. By now you'd think people with all this junk stored away know who these pickers are. Just imagine, two strangers show up on your farm with a camera crew in tow.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That just tells you they have better script writers.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Danielle was specifically cast for the show btw. She was part of a Portland burlesque troop (iirc) and didn't work at the shop prior to the show being made. I don't know if she actually "works" for them or is just portraying her alleged job for the show... and they definitely prearrange the "freestyling" picks, even though it probably represents what they really did back in the day.

Danielle was specifically cast for the show btw. She was part of a Portland burlesque troop (iirc) and didn't work at the shop prior to the show being made.
    I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. She's too hot, and too tatted up. Somehow I just don't see her as this down home girl from small town Iowa . Damn she's hot. The tattoos are a bit overkill but what a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It doesn't have that awkward scripted feel that a lot of the other shows have, but I gotta believe that there's some preparation way before they just walk up to someone's house and knock on the door. I know Danielle at the office calls the sellers ahead of time and all that, but when these guys claim that they go on "freestyle" cold calls I still think that the sellers have to have some advanced notice. By now you'd think people with all this junk stored away know who these pickers are. Just imagine, two strangers show up on your farm with a camera crew in tow.
    Oh, well, you were referring to the history lessons, as was I.

but, certainly, they need to get permission and releases before they film anyone. It's clear that the intros are not fresh ones. Hell, they sometimes have cameras inside the place when they knock. So, yes, the introductions are faked. I do think their knowledge is pretty genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

I do find it annoying that Mike or Audra get this person who is a hard core collector of weird shit such as cannibalistic tribal ritual art and they are telling HIM what it is, but that does not remove the utter coolness of seeing cannibalistic tribal ritual art. Although I do find it plausible Ryan and Wednesday are that knowledgable (in fact, Wednesday is a genetic oddity in and of herself).

"We can tell Stephen Wilson exactly why the Raven refuses to sing."
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-11-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: they still look more normal than Giorgio on Ancient Aliens

Oh man, I've just discovered my new favourite, I'm watching episode 1 right now - Deals From The Dark Side. Creepy, spooky, and sometimes disgusting.
    Last edited by PeterG; 08-17-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Does baseball or an occasional Jeopardy count?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Without any opinion on her credibility, if I get a chance & it's on, I'll pop on Long Island Medium w/Theresa Caputo. Growing up very close to Long Island, I watch it just to hear her (and most of her clients) tauwk the way they tauwk (fuggetaboutit!). I hate stereotyping/profiling as a rule, but this show is so laughable to me because all the Italian-Americans in it (about 80% of everybody on the show, at least) sound just like all the Italians I grew up with in New Yauck City in a mixed Irish-Italian-Jewish neighborhood in Queens that is now almost completely Middle Eastern & Asian.
    Kara loves that show!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Roger Daltry was on one episode of Pawn Stars yesterday. For Rick's birthday they got him a chance to sing with Roger Daltry in one of those Rock and Roll "camp" type things. Normally this type of fluffy nonsense doesn't interest me (the stuff on the show that has nothing to do with the "business") but in this eppy it was funny. So Rick gets a voice lesson from Kip Winger and then he sings "My Generation" with Daltry. At the end of the segment "old man" asks "who in the hell is Roger Daltry?"