Thread: Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger

Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger

Absolutley love this record after purchasing it 20 yrs ago....Fav Tracks are the Title track and Ethereal Mood....Love the album cover...Would make for a killer t-shirt
    Any Fans????
    Last edited by progman1975; 08-04-2014 at 10:16 AM.

I'm a fan of all Ponty's albums from Upon the Wings of Music through Mystical Adventures. I like Cosmic Messenger a lot, but for me it isn't a top favorite like Enigmatic Ocean, Aurora, Imaginary Voyage or even Mystical Adventures. I put it about on par with Civilized Evil and A Taste for Passion. All these are fine albums that I have spun regularly for ages, but they don't quite send me over the top as some of his others do.

I need to revisit Individual Choice and see if that is one to add to my Ponty collection.

Bill

That album rules. Been listening to it for 30 years, which is pretty amazing in that it makes me feel old. Love Ralphe's playing, as always.

Think I'll give it another spin today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm a fan of all Ponty's albums from Upon the Wings of Music through Mystical Adventures. I like Cosmic Messenger a lot, but for me it isn't a top favorite like Enigmatic Ocean, Aurora, Imaginary Voyage or even Mystical Adventures. I put it about on par with Civilized Evil and A Taste for Passion. All these are fine albums that I have spun regularly for ages, but they don't quite send me over the top as some of his others do.

Bill
    all these albums mentionned are of course quite good, but they're all more or less even in terms of how good they are. I've got a slight preferrence for Upon The Wings and Ocean.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Ponty was (is?) one of my all time favorites.

Egocentric Molecules is a toe tapping, adrenaline fueling tune.

I was introduced to JLP via Enigmatic Ocean and was fortunate enough to see him live several times in the early eighties. So I really like this record. I recommend checking out JLP:Live with Jamie Glaser and Joaquin Lievano on guitars, Allan Zavod on keyboards, Ralphe Armstrong on bass and Casey Scheuerell on drums.

This was my intro to JLP and saw them right after that in the round at the Mill Run Theatre in Niles, Il. What a great show. I still have this in a fairly regular listening rotation.

Another great Ponty album. Peter Maunu and Joaquin Lievano on guitars. His daughter Claudia did the cover concept.

My intro to JLP was on Elton John's Honky Chateau. I had never heard of a violin in a rock setting. Hadn't heard Mahavishnu Orchestra yet. Anyway, I didn't pick up an album of his until I picked up Individual Choice. Hooked. Not his best and neither is Cosmic Messenger. But they are all good and some of the earlier ones are great.

One of the best fusion composers ever.

I wish JLP and Steve Hackett would have worked together. They both have such beauty in melody and strong sense of atmosphere and rhythm.
    support live music

Google is your fiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    That album rules.
    Yep. I put it right up there with the fusion spectaculars Imaginary Voyage and Enigmatic Ocean. Not quite as heavy on solos maybe (with the exception of Egocentric Molecules) but outstanding compositions. The first track sets a mood for me -- it always fascinates and that lasts thruout the album.

I was lucky enough to see a 90s JLP show in NYC that leaned heavily on the album. Can't even remember the name of the venue, it was around 78th Street on the West side.
    Last edited by Wah3; 08-06-2014 at 05:36 PM.

I love this album, I used to try and play along with it. Oddly enough I never bought any other JLP albums, I'll have to check out the other recommendations.
    -noisynoise
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Great album, the title track is heavenly.

Quote Originally Posted by bp View Post
    One of the best fusion composers ever.

I wish JLP and Steve Hackett would have worked together. They both have such beauty in melody and strong sense of atmosphere and rhythm.
    QFT... Ponty and Chick are phenomenal composers in Prog Fusion...
    I like Fusion best when it is intricately composed like Symph
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    His daughter Claudia did the cover concept.
    His daughter, Clara, would have been a little young to design a cover in '79. More likely his *wife*, Claudia...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

My band back in college (@80-81) used to play the title song. Great stuff - people used to come up all the time and say "what was that"?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just noted your T shirt comment.
    I saw this tour and had the exact T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I was introduced to JLP via Enigmatic Ocean and was fortunate enough to see him live several times in the early eighties. So I really like this record. I recommend checking out JLP:Live with Jamie Glaser and Joaquin Lievano on guitars, Allan Zavod on keyboards, Ralphe Armstrong on bass and Casey Scheuerell on drums.
    Great advice! I first saw JLP in the fall of 1977 and then a few more times. The band on JLP: Live is my fav version. Joaquin Lievano is amazingly talented...his solos were so tasty and the two guitar approach was a brilliant idea!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Another great Ponty album. Peter Maunu and Joaquin Lievano on guitars. His daughter Claudia did the cover concept.
    Clara is a superb musician. I heard a great interview with her on NPR a few years back.
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 08-08-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Great advice! I first saw JLP in the fall of 1977 and then a few more times. The band on JLP: Live is my fav version. Joaquin Lievano is amazingly talented...his solos were so tasty and the two guitar approach was a brilliant idea!
    Lievano has a nice solo album too... but my favorite of his albums is Zazen - Mystery School

but caveat emptor, no other Zazen albums are near as good
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 08-07-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Lievano has a nice solo album too... but my favorite of his albums is Zazen - Mystery School
    ...yes, I assume you are referring to "One Mind" which is a fine album. (But several of the songs are faded out much too soon--as Lievano is doing some fiery playing.)

I also like Zazen though.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    His daughter, Clara, would have been a little young to design a cover in '79. More likely his *wife*, Claudia...
    Right. Thanks.