Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jade Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    In the old days, when playing 'Last Autumn's Dream' for example, we would have to get up after 'May Queen' and skip the stupid 'Demon Trucker' song forward to 'Lady of the Lake'. Good stuff for the most part though.
    Yeah, this is the problem with those Vertigo LPs. I never much dug Havard's singing, either..
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Anyone have the music to 'Game for Vultures'?

Here is an audio interview/feature with Jade Warrior's Tony Duhig & Jon Field from the 1980s with a print piece that talks about the Eclectic reissues form a few years back. The ONLY reissues to get of the classic Asian quartet of albums. http://wp.me/p4CTcn-g

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I never much dug Havard's singing, either..
    I thought he was quite good. Probably why I didn't care for the Island stuff.

The song English Morning would sound so much better if Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Steve Winwood or (add your fav vocalist here) sang on it.

Really, the only thing that annoys me is the squealing guitar strings.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Speaking of Tom Newman (or Thomas Newman as his name appears on soundtracks these days), Jade Warrior, Mike Oldfield, Pip Pyle and other luminaries appeared on his "Fine Old Tom" album in the early 70's. Very quirky, fun and unique album.
    Fred Frith and Chris Cutler, the latter of whom apparently knew Newman from a short tour July did with Cutler's psych group Louise. I agree that Fine Old Tom is a quite intriguing album of idiosyncratic rock music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I know I'm in the minority here, but the Island stuff always sounded very safe for me. I still have a couple of those albums but seldom tend to play them.

The Vertigo years had them really going in several different directions at once, which I admire. Their vast explorations of Eastern sounds and themes were already present (and usually very well done), but I love the way they tended to break the flow with a rocker or two. Sure there were a few missteps (that boogie-type tune on the otherwise excellent "Released" LP took this a bit too far), but normally I would say this made for a really pleasant listening diversity. I definitely agree with the original poster on those posthumous releases - some of the best archive stuff to ever be found anywhere! Especially the "Eclipse" part could be the very best thing they ever did.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceuyoyi
    Does anyone else see a similarity between the Vertigo era Jade Warrior and the Wetton-Bruford era King Crimson? I see some coincidences, specially in Crimson songs like Easy Money, and the way both bands used dynamics: soft, almost inaudible segments followed by violent ones, with wailing guitars.
    Interesting. I've never thought about it, but I see where you are coming from. Especially the "Larks Tongues in Aspic part 1" track, with its juxtaposition of calm percussion sounds and loud heavy guitar outbursts could well be a Jade Warrior tune.

The King Crimson of 'Islands' would also be a good example of similarities between both bands, specially in their quieter, 'moodier' moments, while anocher similarity -the use of exotic percussion instruments- would surface in the Bruford (and Muir) era of King Crimson. Lastly, I would say that some of the raunchy songs that Havarth sings (Telephone Girl, Petunia) take the same approach as Ladies of the Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but the Island stuff always sounded very safe for me. I still have a couple of those albums but seldom tend to play them.

The Vertigo years had them really going in several different directions at once, which I admire. Their vast explorations of Eastern sounds and themes were already present (and usually very well done), but I love the way they tended to break the flow with a rocker or two. Sure there were a few missteps (that boogie-type tune on the otherwise excellent "Released" LP took this a bit too far), but normally I would say this made for a really pleasant listening diversity. I definitely agree with the original poster on those posthumous releases - some of the best archive stuff to ever be found anywhere! Especially the "Eclipse" part could be the very best thing they ever did.

Interesting. I've never thought about it, but I see where you are coming from. Especially the "Larks Tongues in Aspic part 1" track, with its juxtaposition of calm percussion sounds and loud heavy guitar outbursts could well be a Jade Warrior tune.
    yeah, the only straighter rock tracks they did that i dislike are Reason to Believe(the rock and roll track on released) and the two on Autumn's Dream...Demon Trucker and Joanne.

Those three are rubbish, but the rest of the stuff was damn good imo.Dont have a problem with any of the tracks on side 2 of the first album, good riffs and hendrixy soloing from Duhig abound.

A rare cover version of a Jade Warrior song...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMhg0Dz4r3M

From this article I gather that both Duhig and Field had a strong relationship with afro band Assagai, and they -and Havarth- played in their second album, where Assagai covered another two Jade Warrior songs.

http://time-has-told-me.blogspot.com...afro-rock.html
    From this article one can gather that Duhig and Field had a friendly relationship with afro band Assagai: they played in their second album -alongside Havard-, where Assagai covered two other Jade Warrior songs. Anyway, those first Jade Warrior albums had as much an African influence as the oriental one.

I am also starting to get into this group, really for the first time as back in the day they were nothing but a passing name...and I don't know if I'd go so far as ceuyoyi to say they are one of the most underrated prog bands from the era, but they certainly are a group worthy of more attention than they got, of that I've no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Speaking of Tom Newman (or Thomas Newman as his name appears on soundtracks these days), Jade Warrior, Mike Oldfield, Pip Pyle and other luminaries appeared on his "Fine Old Tom" album in the early 70's. Very quirky, fun and unique album.
    Not the same Thomas Newman. The soundtrack Thomas Newman is American and in a family of film composing Newmans that includes Randy Newman, David Newman, Lionel Newman and Emil Newman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Newman.

However, "Tom Newman" put out a pair of beautiful instrumental albums on the Landscape label in the 1980s, Aspects and Bayou Moon and has released several other albums as well.

Tom Newman also released "A Fairie Symphony" in the 70s that was quite similar to the Mike Oldfield LPs of the era.

Oops!! Always thought that Tom N. and Thomas N.were the same guy, thanks for clearing that up!! Listened to "Eclipse" and "Fifth Element" last night, it had been many years since I heard them. A lot of the tracks sound like demos to me, production-wise. I'd have to say that the best tracks on both albums would have made a pretty good single album, and in fact both albums would have fit easily on one CD. In general, there's not a lot of first-rate material on these albums, and the rock tunes are mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for people diggin' the early JW, be sure to check out Duhig's semi-legendary venture into deranged psych-rock/pop with July (donning Tom Newman as well).
    July is one of the best psych-pop albums there is. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post

The Vertigo years had them really going in several different directions at once, which I admire. Their vast explorations of Eastern sounds and themes were already present (and usually very well done), but I love the way they tended to break the flow with a rocker or two. Sure there were a few missteps (that boogie-type tune on the otherwise excellent "Released" LP took this a bit too far), but normally I would say this made for a really pleasant listening diversity.
    I'm with you here too. I think the high points on the first three easily eclipse the Island years, but aren't nearly as cohesive. I find myself reaching for the Vertigo albums more, even if I am skipping tracks.

Listened to Way of the Sun today, still think it is their magnum opus. Absolutely gorgeous album on many levels and perfect for a lazy, yet inspired, summer afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    QFT. In fact, I seem to remember some Mojo (I think?) interview with one of the main guys behind the band saying they never even considered performing it. One word: Kites - this is orchestral headmovie-soundtrack music sporting some amazingly detailed production values specifically adjusted to the dynamics of the palate. Those four Island records are all very, very good - and different! - yet Kites, for me, was their crowning achievement.

As for people diggin' the early JW, be sure to check out Duhig's semi-legendary venture into deranged psych-rock/pop with July (donning Tom Newman as well).
    I tried to get into this band without much luck except for Kites which hit the spot.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

A shame that their new title won't be released. I've been waiting the 2 year period for news like this? How discouraging. Supposedly...after the Distant Echoes sessions ..Jade Warrior began working on another album which THOSE tapes were either shelved or possibly the ideas for the pieces could have later surfaced on "Now" or even the most recent held back release. Kites is my favorite. Dogstar Poets is like a missing Jade Warrior album. It truly is if you allow the album to grow on you. I believe it was unjust that Toto were hired to record the soundtrack for the film "Dune" instead of Jade Warrior. It may have been a healthy investment for Jade Warrior or a foot in the door, (so to speak), as their music was so creative and fitting for a unique film.

Is that Dogstar Poets album available anywhere by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Is that Dogstar Poets album available anywhere by the way?
    It might be on Amazon and overpriced. Probably a little over 20 dollars. If I'm not mistaken...I believe it was re-released on a different label and possibly in the last 5 years. Maybe a label out of Canada. I hope you can obtain it at a fair price. Good luck!