Thread: Baker's dozen top metal/hardrock gigs!

Baker's dozen top metal/hardrock gigs!

The gigs that really got you going!

Uriah Heep
    Black Sabbath
    Edguy
    Iron Maiden
    Black Label Society
    Ergonaut
    Deathstars
    Kamelot
    Powerwolf
    Hammerfall
    Therion
    Bigelf
    Motorhead

Black Sabbath
    Teaze
    Moxy
    Santers
    Pat Travers
    Triumph
    AC DC
    Thin Lizzy
    KISS
    Ozzy
    Exciter
    Motorhead
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

"Gigs" are venues........when I saw the Thread Title, The Cavern Club was the first one I thought of

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    "Gigs" are venues.
    eerr...NO, you're wrong! "Gig" is slang for a musical concert or any other performance for that matter or it can mean job if being used outside of music e.g. "I got that programming gig at Apple"
    Where do you get the idea that a gig is a venue?

Budgie
    Judas Priest
    Def Leppard
    Gillan
    UFO
    Scorpions
    Led Zep
    Sham '69
    Eddie & the Hot Rods
    Sassafras
    Eric Bell Band
    Wild Horses

Hendrix
    Cream
    Sir Lord Baltimore
    Deep Purple Mk.II
    Black Sabbath
    Robin Trower
    Jeff Beck Group
    LZ
    The Who
    Humble Pie
    Spooky Tooth
    Steppenwolf
    Juicy Lucy
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Gillan
    UFO
    Led Zep
    V. jealous!

Black Sabbath on their first three US tours (LA Forum)- Once opening for Grand Funk and once second bill to Yes and Wild Turkey. Ozzy needed help from a roadie to take off his sweaty shirt and give the Nixon peace signs.

Led Zep twice on Physical Graffiti tour (brilliant!) at the LA Forum and Long Beach Arena and a subsequent show at Oakland Stadium where Bonham beat up a security person.

Deep Purple at the Long Beach Arena where they recorded the support act ELO for a live album.

The Cult/Guns and Roses - There was a riot at the Warfield Theater where seats were ripped out of the concrete floor!

I forget the name of the all-day concert at Candlestick Park- I stayed for the first three bands; I only wanted to see Metallica. Got a flat tire leaving the scene in the middle of the Tenderloin where there was a street party and people were throwing bottles at the police cars.

Pat Travers Band I saw in a club in Hollywood and drank with the band afterward. During "Boom Boom, Out Go the Lights" the drummer was tossing his drumsticks at the ceiling until he hit one of the hanging lights.

Loved Humble Pie live. Saw them around the Fillmore album supporting ELP at the Hollywood Bowl (they were better with Frampton) and Smokin' at the Forum

Hated Judas Priest but Rob had lots of leather-clad groupies, both men and women.

I've seen the Who a dozen times since 1970 (Anaheim Stadium on Flag Day, The Forum, Winterland, Oakland Stadium & Arena) - My favorite live band before Keith died, although the tour in 2001 or 2 was hard-rockin'

Saw Aerosmith dust headliner Mott the Hoople at the Santa Monica Civic and outperform ZZ Top at the Forum. Saw them years later when my ex worked for Bill Graham Presents. We were back stage heading for our seats and walked down the wrong corridor past the band waiting to go on stage. Tyler started making pelvic thrusts in our direction to get our attention when it was backstage etiquette for employees NOT to interact with the bands. When we came through the curtain, the waiting local fan club thought it was Aerosmith, took our pictures and let out a collective 'uhhh' in disappointment.

Saw Spinal Tap at the Warfield Theater. A security person, who was briefed before the show, led them through the basement, seemingly lost, to get them to the stage. During "Stonehenge" a staff photographer who was a 'little person' was enlisted to dance around the set.

Worked for the KSAN live remote crew for a Blue Oyster Cult show at the Old Waldorf playing under the name Soft White Underbelly. They were on their 'Black and Blue Tour' with Black Oak Arkansas doing outdoor gigs so, when they brought in their equipment, it took up two-thirds of the venue and broke an elevator in the process! Saw BOC at the Hollywood Palladium with Montrose (Ronnie had trouble with his theremin) opening. Mars Bonfire joined them onstage for an encore of his "Born to Be Wild" and a four-guitar salute.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Hendrix
    Cream
    Deep Purple Mk.II
    Black Sabbath
    LZ
    Steppenwolf
    Very jealous!

Wish I could have seen Hendrix. I had tickets to see him at the Hollywood Bowl but my brother wouldn't drive me- He said that Hendrix was 'lewd.'

Saw Beck, Bogart and Appice at Rob Gym on the UC Santa Barbara campus.

Wish I could have seen Cream and seen the Who when they played at the Palladium with the Bonzo Dog Band.

Saw ACDC at the Whiskey, I think. Loud as fuck.

Golden Earring, Be Bop Deluxe and Mahogany Rush at the Santa Monica Civic

Trower at the SM Civic

Rory Gallagher at the Palladium- He was riveting

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Led Zep twice on Physical Graffiti tour (brilliant!) at the LA Forum and Long Beach Arena and a subsequent show at Oakland Stadium where Bonham beat up a security person.

Deep Purple at the Long Beach Arena where they recorded the support act ELO for a live album.

The Cult/Guns and Roses - There was a riot at the Warfield Theater where seats were ripped out of the concrete floor!

Saw Spinal Tap at the Warfield Theater. A security person, who was briefed before the show, led them through the basement, seemingly lost, to get them to the stage. During "Stonehenge" a staff photographer who was a 'little person' was enlisted to dance around the set.

Worked for the KSAN live remote crew for a Blue Oyster Cult show at the Old Waldorf playing under the name Soft White Underbelly. They were on their 'Black and Blue Tour' with Black Oak Arkansas doing outdoor gigs so, when they brought in their equipment, it took up two-thirds of the venue and broke an elevator in the process! Saw BOC at the Hollywood Palladium with Montrose (Ronnie had trouble with his theremin) opening. Mars Bonfire joined them onstage for an encore of his "Born to Be Wild" and a four-guitar salute.
    Jealous of all of those, especially the Spinal Tap gig, I bet it was a blast! Also The Cult, never caught them live, what were they like?

Even though the Cult were headlining, Guns and Roses, and the audience going over the top, overshadowed them. Sound was muddy. Loved the Sonic Temple material.

Spinal Tap were hilarious, more for their between-song banter than the music.

At Deep Purple's show someone handed Ritchie a bottle of cheap red wine which he used as a slide for a technically proficient guitar solo. I was supposed to meet someone at the show who had the tickets. Got there late, couldn't find her and hung around the door until a security guard took pity on me and waved me in.

Jimmy Page is such a wizard on guitar. It's hard to capture his live magic on record. I'd swear it sounded like more than one person playing.
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 08-03-2014 at 03:34 PM.

I saw Spinal Tap in 1992. That was a cool show. Nancy Cartwright did the intro, in character as Bart Simpson. The curtains part, to the sound of rumbling synthesizers, with three large eggs at center stage. As the guitar intro to Rock N Roll Creation sounds, the egg on the right swings open, and David St. Hubbins steps out. The as the guitar solo begins, the second egg swings open and Nigel Tufnel steps out. The third egg then swings open, a guy in a chicken outfit leaps out, and Derek Smalls walks in from the other side of the stage, right hand held high above his head, like in the movie when he got caught in the pod when he tried to re-enter it at the end of the song.

For one song, Nigel played a guitar shaped like a Marshall stack. At first he straps it on, it looks like a head and a single 4x12. He plays a couple chords, asks the audience if it's loud enough, we respond it's not. He then calls for his roadie, who runs on and snaps a second pseudo 4x12 onto the bottom of the first one.

For The Majesty Of Rock, they have a pair of inflatable Roman columns, one on either side of the stage, which collapse at the end of the song.

At one point, an alarm goes off, and David St. Hubbins announces there's an emergency on the drum riser.

Nigel throws horse shoes at his guitar (which he's placed on a guitar stand) during his big cadenza, I think during, I think Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight.

Before Sex Farm, it's announced that they decided to update one of their old songs for "the new era". So in the middle of the song, they drop into this quasi hip hop rhythm, which the proceeded to rap over!

You remember the giant skull backdrop/stage set they had in the movie? They had during this show too. It's name was Jack, "and though it's unfashionable in some circles, he still smokes!". For the final encore, the drummer starts playing a familiar fill, and David St Hubbins introduces us to "Jack's girlfriend, Jill, she also smokes!", and the skull rotates around to reveal a giant woman's ass as the band launches into Big Bottom!

Oh yeah, It alked to one of the roadies before the show. I asked if they actually got a correctly scaled Stonehenge this time, and he said "No, in fact, it's too big! We haven't been able to even fit it into the venues, much less get it onstage!". He also told me that when they played indoor venues on this tour (our show was an open air gig), they opened with Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, with David, Nigel and Derek coming down out of the lighting rig on wires, which get hung up, forcing them to finish the song while standing on boxes. But we didn't get that at our show. Oh well, you can't have everything. I did at least get a Bitch School t-shirt (which everyone mistakes for a Smell The Glove shirt...I'm not sure such a thing actually exists).

I also saw Spinal Tap do an acoustic show, probably 6 or 7 years ago now, which they did out of character, which was great, because it allowed them to tell stories about the making of the movie and various other side things (like running down a list of the edits NBC demanded before they would show the movie back in the mid 80's). They also did some songs from A Mighty Wind, one of which Michael McKean's wife, Annette O'Toole, came out and sang, as she did in that film. It was a cool show. And I got a Shark Sandwich hoodie at that show too!

OH yeah, and I saw Judas Priest on the British Steel 20th anniversary tour, when they played the album in it's entirety.

Then about a month later, I saw Heaven And Hell, just mere months before Ronnie passed away. They played pretty much everything you'd want that version of Black Sabbath to play (well, I'd have liked to have heard Slipping Away, but ya know, like I said, you can't have everything!). But they did most of the best stuff off Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules. They did like a 15 minute version of Heaven And Hell itself, which was truly awesome. And for some reason, I jus tcan't get over the way Geezer walked out from behind his amps, as E5150 was segueing into The Mob Rules. And it seemed like Ronnie just sort of materialized onstage, as he began to sing "Close the city/And tell the people/Something's coming/To call...".

Both shows absolutely killed.

I saw Blue Öyster Cult twice. First was a free show in 93, I think, Buck gave me one of his guitar picks. Then I saw them about a year or two later, at the Cleveland Agora. This time Buck and Eric both signed my Agents Of Fortune LP. Unfortunately, Allen didn't come out afterwards, so I couldn't get his.

Saw Hawkwind in 1991 and 1992. The 91 show was with Bridget Wishart on vocals. She wore various costumes throughout the show. At the beginning of the show, as the rest of the band played this big space jam, she came out in a radiation suit and did semaphore for a couple minutes. During Angels Of Death she came out in a skeleton jumpsuit, with a three faced mask. I seem to recall one song she wore a swimsuit, like a competition style swimsuit, and I think goggles, but I can't remember which song it was. Then the encore was, I think, Reefer Madness, and for that she dragged it up, complete with fake beard and mustache.

I saw Nik Turner in 94 and 95, those were cool shows, when he had the band with Del Dettmar (!!!), Len Del Rio, Paul Fox and Tommy Grenas. In 94, he also had Helios Creed in the band, and in 95, he had Simon House playing with him.

Oh yeah, and there were those four times I saw Kiss circa 1996-2000, but i'm sure you don't want to hear about how that. I will tell you that I wore a home made Ace Frehley costume (very low budget, I couldn't afford something exactly like the Love Gun costume, but my mom made me something that got the job done) to three of those shows. It's kinda cool when you can walk around the venue before the show, and you can tell that people are actually noticing your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    eerr...NO, you're wrong! "Gig" is slang for a musical concert or any other performance for that matter or it can mean job if being used outside of music e.g. "I got that programming gig at Apple"
    Where do you get the idea that a gig is a venue?

a gig is a job......on a musical messageboard with a lot of musicians as posters, jobs are the venues......I am willing to wager I am not the only person here reading it this way

It's a floor wax!! No! It's a dessert topping!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Iron Maiden
    Motorhead
    AC/DC
    Scorpions
    Atomic Rooster
    Groundhogs
    Rainbow
    Black Sabbath
    Alice Cooper
    Hawkwind
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I did at least get a Bitch School t-shirt (which everyone mistakes for a Smell The Glove shirt...I'm not sure such a thing actually exists).
    I used to have a red Spinal Tap shirt with the skull wearing a Santa hat with the caption, "Christmas with the Devil"...not sure what happened to it but I still have my shirt with the Spinal Tap logo on top, a big round dial that goes to 11 and the caption "One Louder"
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Even though the Cult were headlining, Guns and Roses, and the audience going over the top, overshadowed them. Sound was muddy. Loved the Sonic Temple material.

Spinal Tap were hilarious, more for their between-song banter than the music.

At Deep Purple's show someone handed Ritchie a bottle of cheap red wine which he used as a slide for a technically proficient guitar solo. I was supposed to meet someone at the show who had the tickets. Got there late, couldn't find her and hung around the door until a security guard took pity on me and waved me in.

Jimmy Page is such a wizard on guitar. It's hard to capture his live magic on record. I'd swear it sounded like more than one person playing.
    Thanks for those titbits

a gig is a job......on a musical messageboard with a lot of musicians as posters, jobs are the venues......I am willing to wager I am not the only person here reading it this way
    I'm willing to wager that you are A job is an ongoing state of affairs it isn't a place. i.e. it isn't a venue.

Yes, a gig can be a job, like I said, but it's usual meaning is a musical event. What I reacted to was you saying a gig was a venue. Gig has never meant venue.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gig_(music)

End of!
    Now FFS show me your list
    Last edited by PeterG; 08-04-2014 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm willing to wager that you are A job is an ongoing state of affairs it isn't a place. i.e. it isn't a venue.

Yes, a gig can be a job, like I said, but it's usual meaning is a musical event. What I reacted to was you saying a gig was a venue. Gig has never meant venue.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gig_(music)

End of!
    Now FFS show me your list
    Ya know? I have been playing music professionally since I was 14 (!) so I really haven't seen a whole lot of concerts -- even to this day

Im looking through some lists here and some of you guys are lucky!

Im looking through some lists here and some of you guys are lucky!
    Some of these guys are EXTREMELY lucky. I mean some of them saw the 3 biggies from back in the day: Hendrix, Cream, Led Zepp.