Thread: Feliu i Joan Albert-music for guitar(acoustic) and keyboard.

Feliu i Joan Albert-music for guitar(acoustic) and keyboard.

A few months ago on a FB avant progressive music page,someone posted about a cd by Spanish musicians Feliu Gasull-guitar,and Joan Albert Amargos(piano/keyboards) titled Feliu i Joan Albert.

The music most often suggests(to me) elements of Flamenco,Spanish 20th century composers(de Falla) and echoes of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos.(Villa-Lobos wrote many compositions for guitar,solo and in ensemble)

Most tracks are duets with Gasull on guitar and Amargos on piano and occasional synth and electric piano.One track includes flute and one track, the clip i post below, has electric guitar, electric bass,drums and flute and is the only "rocker' on the cd.

To put it mildly,i love this cd and play it regularly.I hope some of you will take the time to listen to the track and i hope you'll like it.

Last edited by walt; 08-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I was a little skeptical when I bought this, fearing it might be a bit too "lightweight." No such problem. This is a gem of disc and has become a quiet favorite of mine. Great call to feature this, it's one that definitely deserves greater attention!

Bill

Agreed

BIG fan here! No arguments with anything said by anyone, anytime!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This gets regular mentions around these parts. Fantastic album displaying a "deep" virtuosity beyond belief!

As for Walt; if you haven't yet heard Spanish progressive fusion band Musica Urbana (from the 70s), they had Amargos at the keys and delivered a debut album that you'll most likely LOVE if you already dig the Feliu/Joan Albert one...

There's also that legend of Gasul writing a guitar concerto for Andres Segovia but then having said maestro turn it down due to the sheer effort it'd take to rehearse the thing - thus forcing Gasul to finance his very own performance of it. These guys are the *real* deal indeed.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    ....one track, the clip i post below, has electric guitar, electric bass,drums and flute and is the only "rocker' on the cd.
    To follow up what Scro Scis sez, that clip features the band Musica Urbana; you DO need MU's album!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

yup,yup, yup, yup
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Musica Urbana's first record was ordered.( i checked Wayside first

After grokking on Feliu i Joan Albert for a few weeks i felt compelled to get other music by Feliu Gasull."Pic Del Migdia" is Gasull solo and overdubbed guitars,that was easy to score(Amazon)."Punta Turment" has a couple of Gasull solo compositions and tunes with other musicians,including Joan Albert Amargos and Paco De Lucia.I had to get "Punta Turment" from a seller in Spain via Discogs.Both are top notch music,"Punta Turment" particularly so.

These should hold me for a while.
    Last edited by walt; 08-03-2014 at 04:12 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Musica Urbana's first record was ordered.( i checked Wayside first

After grokking on Feliu i Joan Albert for a few weeks i felt compelled to get other music by Feliu Gasull."Pic Del Migdia" is Gasull solo and overdubbed guitars,that was easy to score(Amazon)."Punta Turment" has a couple of Gasull solo compositions and tunes with other musicians,including Joan Albert Amargos and Paco De Lucia.I had to get "Punta Turment" from a seller in Spain via Discogs.Both are top notch music,"Punta Turment" particularly so.

These should hold me for a while.
    I also have Tacarigua and L'Ull. This is contemporary chamber music with classical guitars (usually more than one), sometimes with guests - singers, percussionists, etc.. Gasull is one of the best classical guitarists I have heard, with his very own style of composing and playing (and recording - he does that himself also).