Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonus Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    "Mantra" ~ Santana: Welcome
    Indeed, Welcome being their weakest album (it's more of throw it all in, lacking cohesion) at the time (until Festival happened), Mantra comes in as a great help to "better it"

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Supersister - "She Was Naked"
    Tull - Everything on WarChild
    up, Supoersister bonus tracks are oftyen excellent added value to the albums...

So are Tull remaster bonus tracks, ough I must say that I'm not convinced that my by War Child (the original album ABD the remaster with bonus)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    A couple of Donovan songs appearing as bonus tracks on reissues of albums:

There Is a Mountain (on The Hurdy Gurdy Man)
    Thye Swan (Lord of the Reedy River) (on Barabajagal)

The latter is better than most of the album proper, and certainly the best of the many bonus tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    I was listening to "Pictures" by Island this morning,
    Off topic, but is this re-released recently? If yes, where can I get a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Did they ever reissue Motor Eyes (which was originally recorded during the Broadsword era, but only released on the 20 Years Of... set)? That's still one of my favorite Tull songs, and you can't even find it on CD anymore!
    Nah but they should have added motoreyes and jackalynn(home version) to the remaster. The remaster made the drums sound worse though. A proper remix should be done on this album plus the 8 bonus tracks on the remaster plus the 2 tracks mentioned above plus commons brawl, the curse, crew nights, drive on the young side of life, lights out, no step plus possible unreleased tracks dj and dinosaur. A quieter, improved consistent drum sound through these 28 songs would make every song so much more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

And worthy of Cryme or Foxtrot - the only version available on CD (Archives 1 boxset) features Hackett I believe, not Ant... so putting it on Tresspass might be "weird"... unless releasing the Ant Phillips version
    Given the fact that it was recorded during the Foxtrot era (though they had been playing it onstage for a year or two by then), it would make more sense for it to have been on Foxtrot.

Mastermind - Excelsior the title track is on the Japanese pressing and possibly the best track.
    Gentle Giant - TPATG title track was a 45rpm not on the album or original cd.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Unlike 99% of alt takes and live versions, non-album singles can make outstanding added value tio albums when added as bonus
    Well, that was my point. Comparing already-released singles against true bonus tracks (previously unreleased material) is not really an apples-to-apples comparison. One is an example of a song the band thought was so good that it could sell independent of the album - so of course its eventual inclusion will likely be viewed as a positive. The other is something that was deemed not worthy of making the album at all. So if there's one among the latter that people really like, then it becomes noteworthy.

There are other examples, of course: Demo tracks, songs that were intended to be included on an album but then the band broke up, studio jams (Squid/Octopus from VdGG), unedited recordings ("Shadow of the Hierophant" from Hackett). Of these, demos usually tend to be pretty uninteresting - a notable exception would be the Sentinel Demos from Pallas. Some of those tracks were better than the non-Atlantis tracks. Damn record companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well, that was my point. Comparing already-released singles against true bonus tracks (previously unreleased material) is not really an apples-to-apples comparison. One is an example of a song the band thought was so good that it could sell independent of the album - so of course its eventual inclusion will likely be viewed as a positive. The other is something that was deemed not worthy of making the album at all. So if there's one among the latter that people really like, then it becomes noteworthy.
    But then again, some of these (unsuccessful) non-album singles I mentionned hadn't been available for around 30 years, until they eventually popped up on archives or compilation releases ... So AFAIAC, these were true bonus stuff... Coz I hadn't ever heard Maurice Haylett and Twilght Alehouse until the mid-90's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Given the fact that it was recorded during the Foxtrot era (though they had been playing it onstage for a year or two by then), it would make more sense for it to have been on Foxtrot.
    It was actually the B-side to I Know What I Like, so one could argue for including it on SEBTP.