Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD - Miles Davis : Bitches Brew

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    All i know about this matter is what's printed in the booklet in the Bootleg Series Fillmore East release.There is(apparently),some distortion on the earlier concert tapes from "It's About That Time",but i don't recall any comment about the unreleased tapes being unusable(if there are words to that effect written elsewhere i haven't seen them).

"It's About That Time" sounds fine to me, LOUD but fine.
    Well, I guess I'm misinterpreting the "some distortion" comment, then. (shrug)

BB was the 2nd Miles album I heard ( after 'Decoy'). To me, BB is everything that has been written about it: quiet and explosive, far-out and funky ... A desert island disk for me.

I was too young to be part of the IASW and BB releases. I only got caught up in the MD off-shoots like MO, RTF, WR and other acolytes when I was a teenager in the mid 1970's. It was some years later before I took in Miles' 'electric' recordings, and I've been a big fan ever since. I rarely listen to his pre-IASW recordings any more, and for me BB is a fantastic album in its own right, but even better when the 'complete' boxed set is unleashed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    BB is a fantastic album in its own right, but even better when the 'complete' boxed set is unleashed.
    Please expand on this. I am genuinely interested.

though I generally do not like studio recorded Jazz, I actually enjoy the sprawl that is on the BBBox

there's a lot of peaceful stuff on there that relaxes me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

2014 eh? Wow.

Been hitting this again ('99 CD remaster/remix?) Sony Legacy. Some REAL tripped out keyboard shit on Pharaoh's Dance and Bitches Brew! A kaleidoscope of colors running around your ears. Miles also does the lick of his lifetime in Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, about 2+ min in....totally unreal. This is pretty deep shit for me and I totally love it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    2014 eh? Wow.

Been hitting this again ('99 CD remaster/remix?) Sony Legacy. Some REAL tripped out keyboard shit on Pharaoh's Dance and Bitches Brew! A kaleidoscope of colors running around your ears. Miles also does the lick of his lifetime in Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, about 2+ min in....totally unreal. This is pretty deep shit for me and I totally love it.
    I hear that. It's a wondrous journey, this album. I love getting lost in it. I still don't have the complete box discussed earlier in this thread (8 years ago!) but in that time I have picked up the complete In A Silent Way box (excellent), and the complete On The Corner sessions in the embossed metal box (outstanding).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I hear that. It's a wondrous journey, this album. I love getting lost in it. I still don't have the complete box discussed earlier in this thread (8 years ago!) but in that time I have picked up the complete In A Silent Way box (excellent), and the complete On The Corner sessions in the embossed metal box (outstanding).
    I think its becoming my fav Miles album, and I love a chunk of his works, especially the 50's and then the 2nd Great Quintet, plus the crazy 70s. But Bitches hits the essence of Miles exploring but also reaching a brilliant destination. I know Teo Macero deserves accolades too as he was a major creative force. I'm toying with a vinyl pressing but I need to get the right one, and it gets pricey quickly.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, but I have loved this album since I was a teen.

I think its becoming my fav Miles album, and I love a chunk of his works, especially the 50's and then the 2nd Great Quintet, plus the crazy 70s. But Bitches hits the essence of Miles exploring but also reaching a brilliant destination. I know Teo Macero deserves accolades too as he was a major creative force. I'm toying with a vinyl pressing but I need to get the right one, and it gets pricey quickly.
    I've bought Bitches Brew -- twice actually, in different deluxe editions -- and have listened to it a few times. But I still don't feel like I know it very well. I want to get better acquainted with it. It is a real trip though. I think I may queue this one up tonight.

Recently got the Live-Evil turquoise LP set (RSD release) and have listened to that one too. What an incredible creative period that was.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've bought Bitches Brew -- twice actually, in different deluxe editions -- and have listened to it a few times. But I still don't feel like I know it very well. I want to get better acquainted with it. It is a real trip though. I think I may queue this one up tonight.

Recently got the Live-Evil turquoise LP set (RSD release) and have listened to that one too. What an incredible creative period that was.
    Wow, you have the goods over there! It's a wild ride for sure, I suggest going in with maybe a tune per day or just maybe not the whole enchilada in one sitting. I love it more virtually every time I play it!

I'm toying with a vinyl pressing but I need to get the right one, and it gets pricey quickly.
    I got an early 70's pressing around 25 years ago, when you could still get that sort of LP for a fairly low price. That may be my answer to the proverbial "what record would you grab if your house was on fire?" question.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I got an early 70's pressing around 25 years ago, when you could still get that sort of LP for a fairly low price. That may be my answer to the proverbial "what record would you grab if your house was on fire?" question.
    Awesome. And jealous.

A top 10 album of all time for me.

Awesome album! I definitely need to get this on vinyl at some point.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I just put the BB box set on my phone for the car.

Totally authentic and inspired music
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

OK, besides some FZ lps, I found a Canadian pressing of BB yesterday. It's a 1978 reissue in gorgeous condition (VG+ bordering on NM) for $30. I figured a new digital copy costs even more, and an original is well over $100 at least, but this is fully analog. So I'll report back....

OK, besides some FZ lps, I found a Canadian pressing of BB yesterday. It's a 1978 reissue in gorgeous condition (VG+ bordering on NM) for $30. I figured a new digital copy costs even more, and an original is well over $100 at least, but this is fully analog. So I'll report back....
    Nice! Only one copy of that edition on Discogs right now, for $69 (Cdn) before shipping. So provided it plays clean, you got yourself a deal.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My first jazz album!