Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Childrens choir in prog

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    Supertramp: "It's Raining Again"
    Kansas: "Taking in the View"

I think children's choirs work great when there's a logical reason for those particular lyrics to be sung by children, as there is in "Another Brick in the Wall," "Cheyenne Anthem," and "It's Raining Again."
    Someone mentioned the Mike And The Mechanics song Living Years, which is listed in the singles section of The 100 Worst Rock And Roll Records Of All Time. According to the authors, the song starts of a maudlin bit attempt to comment on "the generation gap", but gets even worse when the children's choir kicks in. Apparently, the authors feel that using a children's choir is just a cheap attempt to manipulate the listener's emotions...ike "Oh, it's even more tragic because it's being sung by children".

I still say this is the best children's choir thing I've heard:

I think the only record with a children's choir where it actively works is 'Excerpt From A Teenage Opera' by Keith West, which is a masterpiece IMHO. I'm not sure if Steve Howe is playing on it, obviously he was in Tomorrow with West.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think the only record with a children's choir where it actively works is 'Excerpt From A Teenage Opera' by Keith West, which is a masterpiece IMHO. I'm not sure if Steve Howe is playing on it, obviously he was in Tomorrow with West.
    I think that it worked pretty well on Druids album "Fluid", as documented in this All Music review of that 1976 release. Nicely performed by the children's choir and blends in well with the music itself.

There are some successful tracks, though -- the pleasant interpolation of a children's choir and carousel organ in "Crusade," the soaring guitar solos on "Painters Clouds," and the pensive woodwinds and piano in the long instrumental intro of the album's high point, "Left to Find."

Crack The Sky: When I Grow Up (from World In Motion 1):

Here's John Palumbo talking about how this came about, including (from about 2:30), the actual recording:

Kansas used a children choir on Leftoverture.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Eventually they all do the Christan Vander freakout vocal thing.

Talk Talk's Happiness is Easy from Colour of Spring has a children's choir, credited as "Children from the school of Miss Speake". Which I'm guessing is this mob:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbar...e_Stage_School

From whence a certain Phil Collins originated (his mum was the school's agent).

Pavlov's Dog used the High Wycombe Boys' Choir on Valkerie. Other Brits on the album (At the Sound of the Bell) included Andy Mackay and Bill Bruford
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Oh no, oh no, why have you done this? Because it's brought back to mind that monstrosity that was posted on here - it may even be ten years or so ago now - which was an attempt to include all of the most annoying things in music in one suite. I clearly remember a children's choir but also such joys as a polka section and many snippets of WalMart commercials. I think the whole ghastly thing was about 20 minutes long.

And now I need to hear it again...

Does anyone else remember this, or was it some horrible dream I had?

Alan Parsons - To One In Paradise (Westminster City School Boys Choir)
    Rick Wakeman - Bedtime Stories (Terrrible song...)
    David Bedford - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    (Interesting, Robert Powell narrates on the 2nd and 3rd item, and there's also narration on the first)

Quote Originally Posted by RuudE View Post
    (Interesting, Robert Powell narrates on the 2nd and 3rd item, and there's also narration on the first)
    Alan Parsons...That first album (Tales of Mystery and Imagination) was simply superb and "To One..." was such a fine ending to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RuudE View Post
    David Bedford wrote a piece called The Song of the White Horse (c.1978) which had a schoolgirl choir on it - they inhaled helium in order to reach certain notes. It was featured on a BBC television documentary.

Choirs seem to be rather dangerous in these times.

Banned
    David Bedford - Some Bright Stars for Queens College (from Nurses Song with Elephants)

Quote Originally Posted by Obarmoth View Post
    Oh no, oh no, why have you done this? Because it's brought back to mind that monstrosity that was posted on here - it may even be ten years or so ago now - which was an attempt to include all of the most annoying things in music in one suite. I clearly remember a children's choir but also such joys as a polka section and many snippets of WalMart commercials. I think the whole ghastly thing was about 20 minutes long.

And now I need to hear it again...

Does anyone else remember this, or was it some horrible dream I had?
    You’re referring to this:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

There is a Boys Choir on three songs on Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Routine, Happy Returns and Ascendant Here On...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You’re referring to this:

I hate you with a passion. I'm now going to have to listen to that again tomorrow...