Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bubblemath is BACK!

Bubblemath is BACK!

12 years of silence, and now this! If it takes 12 years, I can't say it wasn't worth it as this track is awesome. It sounds like them certainly, but yet it also sounds updated from a production standpoint.

Crazy good. From my recollection seeing Kai and Jenny Case (a close friend of the band) recently, they intend to have more come soon; that 2nd album finally.

Their social media will certainly be worth keeping an eye on in the near future.

Good news!

I recall Kai sharing this song with me pre-production quite a while back, it was expected to be one their follow up release, along with some other mesmerizing songs, which they were performing live at the few shows I was able to attend. Glad to hear that they are still going at it. And this production on this version of the song is exceptional.

Honestly...this seems a bit less focused and jammy to me than the debut...but we'll see!

Great news. They actually played this and Get A Lawn at CalProg in 2005, they are both on Papa Jim's Authorized Bootleg.

Very cool! I haven't spun their disc in ages, but remember enjoying it quite a lot when it came out. This song seems to pick up exactly where the first one left off, and sounds great. I hope they finish the second one soon.

neil

Such Fine Particles is still in rotation here!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I never liked the debut - the lyrics to that pro-vegetarianism song were just too gross. I couldn't get past them.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I'm with you Jed. The music was frantic but listenable, but the lyrics and topics were awful.
    Chad

chalkpie
    Ambitious stuff - me likey. Lyrics are bit corny, but musically this is great. I'm in.

Musically, somewhere in a netherworld between Zappa, Gentle Giant, and maybe Thinking Plague for the pure musical density.

Lyrically, pure Zappa - yet oddly enough, Kai Esbensen is not an FZ fan and seems to barely even be aware of the guy.

I would say some of the lyrics seem to have a 'Gabriel at his goofiest', kind of flare, so maybe an influence there. In general I find them entertaining, although the vegetarian song is not a favourite, lol. The best songs musically, are absolutely primo, though.

neil

New album "Edit Peptide" comes out on Cuneiform on May 26th, 2017!

^^They work as fast as Tool!

Auto buy.

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will probably pick this up, I don't have the debut but they sound interesting.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like these guys, I'll check it out.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

they remindes me of Echolyn, they remines me good things!

I've been patiently waiting. The first album was remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Totemist View Post
    they reminds me of Echolyn....
    Who they only heard of after they'd been together for five years and released their first album.

Old man of prog
    Auto-buy

I'm not certain why I took a pass on these guys back in the day. I definitely sampled the album, but had it in the "eliminated" group on my spreadsheet. Anyway, a fresh listen to samples of their first album and I have that in queue to get with my next order. They remind me a lot of what Anekdota are doing now, accessible catchy melodies over tricky music. Bubblemath seem to have a bit more of an "avant" edge (I read someone describe them as Neo-Avant, which I thought was funny). As with Anekdota, it took me a few listens to warm to this approach, which can come off as a bit "cutesy," and that is likely why I took a pass in the past.

But, better late to the party than never, I guess. I'll definitely be checking out the new one if I like the debut that I'm so belatedly getting.

Bill

Listening to lots of new music recently,trying to catch up after ignoring things for twenty odd years, and I've discovered many new bands to like. And I got tired of collecting comic books. So here we are in the 21st century and Bubblemath 's latest tune from Cuneiform attracts and yet somehow repels me at the same time. I'm old and their stuff, while being intriguing, threatens to give me a heart arrhythmia! But I think it's astonishingly good(where do these 'kids' get their chops from anyway), and I wish them the best of luck with the upcoming record. I wasn't aware Cuneiform had changed its approach, in some cases radically, but, heck, I even enjoyed Chrome Hoof knowing I'm not the demographic intended but finding the music quirky and enjoyable still!

I like the new tune! This'll be bought.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Finally! I'm so excited and I'd kind of given up hope! Fine Particles was one heck of an album.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'm not certain why I took a pass on these guys back in the day. I definitely sampled the album, but had it in the "eliminated" group on my spreadsheet. Anyway, a fresh listen to samples of their first album and I have that in queue to get with my next order. They remind me a lot of what Anekdota are doing now, accessible catchy melodies over tricky music. Bubblemath seem to have a bit more of an "avant" edge (I read someone describe them as Neo-Avant, which I thought was funny). As with Anekdota, it took me a few listens to warm to this approach, which can come off as a bit "cutesy," and that is likely why I took a pass in the past.

But, better late to the party than never, I guess. I'll definitely be checking out the new one if I like the debut that I'm so belatedly getting.

Bill
    Anakdota?..if that's the band you're referring to (and not Anekdoten, another band I like), I can follow that comparison a bit.