Thread: Dutch prog in Record Collector

Dutch prog in Record Collector

The latest issue of Record Collector magazine from England has a comprehensive history of the first years of psych and prog rock in the Netherlands, including not only the big ones (Focus, Supersister, etc.) but also Alquin, Cargo, Solution, Ahora Mazda, Brainbox, Group 1850, etc. The article includes fresh interviews with several of the musicians involved. For me its a welcome surprise, because Record Collector doesn't often tackles European prog rock, other than Krautrock.

Here's a link to the beginning... alas, you have to be subscribe top read the whole thing online.
    http://recordcollectormag.com/articl...er-netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by ceuyoyi View Post
    including not only the big ones (Focus, Supersister, etc.) but also Alquin, Cargo, Solution, Ahora Mazda, Brainbox, Group 1850, etc. The article includes fresh interviews with several of the musicians involved. For me its a welcome surprise, because Record Collector doesn't often tackles European prog rock, other than Krautrock.
    For the latter paragraph; RC used to cover 60s/70s rock (including progressive), and even quite extensively, up until the later parts of the 90s. Why they quit doing so, I don't know.

First paragraph: Alquin and Solution were second tier acts, but both actually turned a few numbers with their releases and tours in Holland and Belgium. Focus' tune "Tommy" (from the "Eruption" piece) is a cover on a Solution track written by their sax player, Tom Barlage. Group 1850 probably didn't sell too many records, but they were well known as concert and festival stalwarts in their homecountry, and particularly with the post-Provo underground scene.

Some good stuff from there.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 07-31-2014 at 04:47 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Cool.This should be good readiah.

Record Collector keeps covering prog rock. A couple of issues ago they had a several pages article on Quatermass. And, of course, they've had articles on the classic prog or proto prog records they're re releasing, like Cressida and, on this issue, Aubrey Small. I was talking about European prog.

Quote Originally Posted by ceuyoyi View Post
    Record Collector keeps covering prog rock. [...] I was talking about European prog.
    Good to know that they keep at it; I remember a turn in ultimo 1997 when they seemed to direct their attention elsewhere after having published countless in-depth articles on artists and labels from the 60s/70s. I found it quite logical back then, seeing how progressive rock was one of the most collectible genres in the earliest wake of the vinyl downfall, although by '96 the rush had pretty much run dry with most things being readily available on CD.

But you're absolutely correct about the continental scene; most UK mags would never go anywhere near it if it wasn't for some contemporary hipster fad (although krautrock luckily turned out to be so much more than that).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There are so many unexplored areas they could focus on, now that they had an in depth article on Dutch Prog: Rock Progressivo Italiano, Rock Andaluz, Zeuhl, Rio, French Prog, Scandinavian Prog, Eastern Europe prog...

Focus and Ekseption that is the extent of my Dutch vinyl.

There's much more, inclujding one of my akl time faves, Supersister... The article mentions that Camel toured with them and they so impressed Andy Latimer with their flute playing that he recollects he then bought one and started playing it too. What the article neglects to mention is that Camel also recorded Supertwixter in their honor, a piece that in part mimics Supersister 's style.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    most UK mags would never go anywhere near it if it wasn't for some contemporary hipster fad
    Sad but true.

Record Collector has done numerous features on rare British prog albums over the years.

Underrated band

And a forgotten prog band...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS