Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kickstarter

There certainly does seem to be a hefty difference between the "fully funded" levels that are being sought to make an album via Kickstarter. Squids was a low one (thank you), Kenny Loggins was a large one. I guess part of that is allowing a profit for one person, vs 3 people, but perhaps also the expectation that Kenny already has many times more fans than Squids (sorry) and can probably raise more money just by the use of his name. So the inevitable question of why KL went this route to begin with?

In any case, it will be neat watching to see how this progresses over the next few years. I am all for artists going out on their own and creating and promoting their efforts outside of the record companies. It's a trend in a rapidly changing industry. Lets see how it catches on and succeeds or fails.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    I would feel I "owed" something to the people who donated, and would constantly worry about whether or not they were going to like the result, which would completely disrupt and confuse my whole way of working. I do know a couple of people who have done "crowdfunded" campaigns (apparently) successfully, but I couldn't do it. I am commenting on this thread because over the past year or two several people have asked my why I hadn't tried it.
    Interesting. One of the things that comes up in debates over the music business today is artists making their own music and thinking it has any financial value/worth attached to it simply because they produced it. In other words, indie artists and those getting into the business now should go into their music making assuming they will make no money.

But crowdfunding supplies that value, because you know there are X amount of people willing to spend X amount of money to invest in an artist to write, record, and/or release music. One would think that most artists would embrace such a concept, but I can certainly understand your perspective on it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That's an interesting angle that hasn't been mentioned before. Instead of having one boss -- yourself -- the crowdfunding recipient has hundreds. Additional pressure to produce something that pleases the funders, rather than yourself.

Not much different of course from the commercial pressure all professional musicians must feel from time to time, particularly if a release becomes unexpectedly a hit and the pressure is on to create Another Big Hit.
    Yeah, in some way I don't see it as much different, just more PERSONAL. You are entering a contract with your audience, not the record company.

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    I am not a fan of the kickstarter trend. I find it often offensive when touring headlining bands come back and want the fans to pay for their acoustic solo guitar album when the band owns a studio. And then when you ask the artist why they need the money they erase your comment.

Another thing...if you have already recorded and finished the album...Why do you need my
    money?

As a producer and studioowner i have felt very impressed by artists who sort out the finances themselves. Bankloans or loans from the family or all the earnings from the last tour or album. Shows determination and belief in your art.

//Mattias
    That's an interesting take. Speaking as a music fan/consumer, I can think of dozens of artists I would contribute to if I was interested in the project. I don't think it would matter much to me if it was a more famous artist or a completely obscure one.

And the way the better platforms are set up, it's fairly risk free for the consumer. If the project isn't funded, you get your money back. If the project is funded, you get your CD and other incentives you purchased.

However, as some pointed out, not sure what one does if a project is funded and then is never released.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yeah, in some way I don't see it as much different, just more PERSONAL. You are entering a contract with your audience, not the record company.
    Luckily for me I've also never had a record contract! Obviously it works for some people. I'd constantly worry that the donators might not like the result. It's somehow not the same as making an album on your own and releasing it, with no promises to anyone. Just doing your best work and putting it out. Obviously some people will buy it and consider it a waste of money, but for some reason I don't worry about that when I'm making albums!
    Last edited by B D; 08-03-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Mis-spellings or however you spell it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've contributed to probably half a dozen kickstarter type campaigns. All the ones I contributed to have similar characteristics (1) when its smaller artists who don't have the backing to do it themselves, (2) when I have confidence in the artist and that the project would probably be purchased anyway (3) the rewards are meaningful, i.e. a copy of the actual album, T shirts, name in credits, stuff I personally value. I've been happy with the results and enjoyed the ones I've been involved with.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Speaking as a music fan/consumer, I can think of dozens of artists I would contribute to if I was interested in the project.
    How many of us would contribute to a Gryphon reunion tour and album?

Maybe too many band breakups are for personal rather than financial reasons, maybe no amount of kickstarting can revive most dead bands.

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    I'd constantly worry that the donators might not like the result. It's somehow not the same as making an album on your own and releasing it, with no promises to anyone.
    But surely there is no moneyback guarantee either way.

Speaking of…

KENNY LOGGINS: If Kickstarter Guy Raises the Dough ...COUNT ME IN!

Kenny Loggins and his Blue Sky Riders are ready and willing to play in some guy's living room ... IF his Kickstarter campaign hits the $30,000 mark.

Our photog spotted Kenny in NYC Tuesday ... he said not only has he heard about the campaign ... he's already Skyped with the guy -- a P.R. consultant in D.C. named Erick Sanchez.

Sanchez has raised a little more than $11,000 so far. So if he gets $19k more ... "Footloose" will be coming to his living room.

And speaking of "Footloose" -- Kenny Loggins has no problem choosing between his two classic soundtracks.

SOURCE

Did you hear about the guy who started a joke Kickstarter campaign to raise $10 to make some potato salad, and ended up with over $55,000? He's using the money to hold a "Potatostock" music festival to raise funds for the homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Really clever reward, backers get to name a song. For instrumentals that's indeed possible, and McGill says nothing about writing credits or royalties so it's mostly just a honorary thing. But clever!

Really clever reward, backers get to name a song. For instrumentals that's indeed possible, and McGill says nothing about writing credits or royalties so it's mostly just a honorary thing. But clever!
    Ive been signed to major labels and none of them wanted to decide what the songs were called...

Selling out has changed.

// Mattias

^ ^ ^ ^

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I really think people may get the wrong impression of labels--yes there are some labels (usually the majors) who want to dictate titles be it songs or albums or style of albums etc but for most music we talk about here, Im pretty sure the labels involved such as ourself, Steve etc dictate nothing.If we like the artist enough we go with the flow!! and the artists who talk about being dictated to often have either been on a major (and been dictated to) or had a manager doing some dictating etc,
    however its very often nothing to do with this and more the fact they think they may well make more money (nothing wrong with this if its possible and they are up to the mark) I think some are embarrased to say, "I think and hope I can get lots of up front cash" (theyve all seen that Amanda Palmer story) so use the "being dictated to" as it seems more palatable and less avaricious..

Did you hear about the guy who started a joke Kickstarter campaign to raise $10 to make some potato salad, and ended up with over $55,000? He's using the money to hold a "Potatostock" music festival to raise funds for the homeless.
    Now that's awesome.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm thinking of doing a Kickstarter where there's no product involved, but for a certain pledge level you get to do a 1-on-1 Skype call with me, and maybe I'll photocopy a booklet that credits all the people who pledge at a certain level and you'd get a copy of that booklet. If you pledge something crazy, you might get credited as executive producer (of the booklet).

Watch your inboxes!