Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis - We Can't Dance/ Invisible Touch/ Domino

Genesis - We Can't Dance/ Invisible Touch/ Domino

I'm gradually burning all my vinyl into digital format and I've got to Genesis. Starting with WE CAN'T DANCE: I like this album much more than when it came out. I thought they had went too far down the "Phil Collins" tunes route. I still think that but I appreciate the better stuff on the album now. Highlight of the album for me is "Living Forever", which 10 years before would have been much longer and for me finishes too soon and abruptly as if they done it deliberately to say "no we don't do that anymore" (but then I suppose they go for it a bit more on "Fading Lights")

I've not long finished editing INVISIBLE TOUCH and have been listening to it a lot. This is an album I really liked when it was released and I resented how commercially successful it was, although I'm sure the band didn't. It came in for a lot of stick from long term Genesis fans at the time, much in the same way as 90125 did from a section of Yes fans. For me though INVISIBLE TOUCH stands well against any other post Gabriel Genesis album and "Domino" in particular is still an amazing track that I think is as good as any other Genesis classic from any era.

Just my thoughts on my current listening.
    Last edited by Yeswave; 07-30-2014 at 08:23 AM.

You will get many interesting responses in this thread.

I am a pretty big fan of latter-day Genesis, even Calling All Stations. But yeah, for the two you mentioned...there are some great tracks on both. I think Invisible Touch works slightly better as a cohesive album, end to end.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

I find things to like on all 3 of these albums. I thought “We Can’t Dance” was a pretty good mix of pop-ish stuff and prog. Along with “Living Forever”, “Driving The Last Spike” and “Fading Lights” are great songs. “Invisible Touch” has it’s moments and the yellow album has a lot of good tracks on it too.

They both have some great tunes on them, and a few clunkers. I simply cannot handle "Since I Lost You" or "Invisible Touch" for example. On the other hand I really like "Jesus He Knows Me" and "Throwing It All Away", which often are met with derision, so go figure.

The proggier stuff is very good and showed that Banks still had some say in the proceedings. and much like other Genesis albums, both had B-side tracks that should have been on the albums. "Feeding The Fire" is one such track, and there's no doubt in my mind that "On The Shoreline" should have been the opening track on WCD.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

It's pretty much impossible for me to be objective about Invisible Touch, since had I not obtained a copy of it by accident and started exploring their back catalog, I probably never would've gotten into this "prog" stuff at all.

I actually made about a fifty minute playlist from We Can't Dance material a few weeks back, and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I've always thought that We Can't Dance was a good album - just not the return to form that I (or many) had hoped for after Invisible Touch. I think it had symptoms "CD-era disease," wherein the album was pretty long and also had significant chunks of material that I didn't think was very good.

This is the version of the album that I put on my computer

1. "No Son of Mine" 6:39
    2. "Jesus He Knows Me" 4:16
    3. "Driving the Last Spike" 10:08
    4. "I Can't Dance" 4:01
    5. "Never a Time" 3:50
    6. "Dreaming While You Sleep" 7:16
    7. "Living Forever" 5:41
    8. "Fading Lights" 10:16

I'm not a huge fan of the title track - though it does have some nostalgia positives for me - and Never a Time isn't anything that the band didn't do better at earlier points in the '80s, though I find it tuneful enough to leave on. Fading Lights is quite overrated, IMO, but I still like it. The rest Yeah, I think the rest is really good.

I don't think that Invisible Touch is as good of an album (or even particularly good at all) but like others have mentioned, it's such a monolithic part of my past that I still play it from time to time, just to relive it. I only actively dislike about a third of it, but I don't like the rest as much as I like We Can't Dance. I generally like Genesis' 1980-1991 period, but I think that on Invisible Touch they dropped the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    For me though INVISIBLE TOUCH stands well against any other post Gabriel Genesis album and "Domino" in particular is still an amazing track that I think is as good as any other Genesis classic from any era.

Just my thoughts on my current listening.
    I enjoy things from all Genesis albums, post-Gabriel/"Phil Collins pop era" included. But Invisible Touch isn't even in the same stratosphere as Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, or Duke. I do agree with you about "Domino" - really a great song with some interesting things going on. And a great one when played live.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The only thing I really don't like about 'Invisible Touch' is the very 80s sound- which is hard to get over, admittedly. The songs are mostly good- I hate 'Anything She Does' and would rather 'Feeding The Fire' had been on it.

'We Can't Dance' suffered from having some really poor material on it. Half of it is strong, half of it...isn't- I wonder if they knew that too as they never went near the weaker songs live, at least not on the shows they released ('Never A Time', 'Way Of The World', 'Since I Lost You', 'Tell Me Why'...they did do a video for the latter though), when they had played nearly all of 'Invisible Touch' in concert. As a record it was released as a double, should have been a single really.

Yes, the 1971-7 stuff in particular I would choose over these, any day of the week. But I still like these albums. Say what you want about late-period Genesis, but they stuck to their guns and never did a 'we're going back to how we used to sound in the 70s, honest!' move.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They both have some great tunes on them, and a few clunkers. I simply cannot handle "Since I Lost You" or "Invisible Touch" for example. On the other hand I really like "Jesus He Knows Me" and "Throwing It All Away", which often are met with derision, so go figure.

The proggier stuff is very good and showed that Banks still had some say in the proceedings. and much like other Genesis albums, both had B-side tracks that should have been on the albums. "Feeding The Fire" is one such track, and there's no doubt in my mind that "On The Shoreline" should have been the opening track on WCD.
    Christ, does Genesis really have a song called "Since I Lost You?" I don't even remember that one. I have to admit I've probably only given We Can't Dance more than one full listen.

Are Feeding the Fire and On the Shoreline included on the WCD bonus disk in the boxed set? I can't remember, and I hardly remember what these sound like.

I have to admit (and it's obvious), my Genesis fanboyism for this era was always pretty low. I never even listened to CAS until I bought the boxed set - I found it to be pretty good, but haven't heard it in a while.

Since I Lost You is without doubt the worst song Genesis ever recorded! WCD is a more "whole" album,than IT,which does have its moments but I hate the drum sound on this album.Driving the last spike,Fading Lights,and the exceptional Dreaming while you Sleep ,all from WCD,are some of their best works they recorded as a trio.

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Since I Lost You is without doubt the worst song Genesis ever recorded!
    Second worst. "Hold On My Heart" is the worst.

I was too young to experience the 70s version of Genesis. I discovered them during the "self-titled" era, then they hit it big with "Invisible Touch". That eventually led me to investigate their earlier stuff, which I instantly fell in love with. So I'll always have a soft spot towards "IT" for being the gateway drug to their full catalog. (And Domino is still pretty amazing.)

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Since I Lost You is without doubt the worst song Genesis ever recorded!
    Diversity is a lovely thing...I rather like Since I Lost You
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

My edit of the album:

"Side 1"
    1) On the Shoreline
    2) Driving the Last Spike
    3) I Can't Dance
    4) No Son of Mine

"Side 2"
    1) Dreaming While You Sleep
    2) Living Forever
    3) Fading Lights

IT and WCD both condense down to a really good single album for me

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Christ, does Genesis really have a song called "Since I Lost You?" I don't even remember that one. I have to admit I've probably only given We Can't Dance more than one full listen.
    'Since I Lost You' isn't too bad, IMO - it's just Phil Collins doing his Motown/Phil Spector thing. It didn't belong on a Genesis album, IMO (but then again neither did some songs of the same ilk that I like more). I definitely don't think that it works as a seque to Fading Lights. In any event its predecessor on the album, Way of the World (IMO the worst song on the album), practically makes it sound like 'Where Did Our Love Go.'

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    IT and WCD both condense down to a really good single album for me
    Yeah, that's about where I land also. Last four albums just didn't stand the test to time for me; particularly on the heels of perhaps the greatest 10 album run in the history of prog rock.

There are some good tunes on Invisible Touch that could still be described as prog. WCD is weak all the way through IMO.

The poster who said Genesis had a 10 album run of classic albums is way off base. It started with Foxtrot & finnished with W&W, thats 5! You'd have to be a stone cold fanboy to argue against that.Agreed Duke was great but you had And then they Were Crap preceeding it!

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    My edit of the album:

"Side 1"
    1) On the Shoreline
    2) Driving the Last Spike
    3) I Can't Dance
    4) No Son of Mine

"Side 2"
    1) Dreaming While You Sleep
    2) Living Forever
    3) Fading Lights
    That is close to what my choice as well. The only change I would make is replace 'I Cant Dance' (my least favorite Genesis song of all time) with 'Tell Me Why', which I rather like, like the chordings, the 12-string, and sense a bit of passion from, or 'Hearts on Fire' (the other b-side)

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    You'd have to be a stone cold fanboy to argue against that.
    Alternatively, you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The poster who said Genesis had a 10 album run of classic albums is way off base.
    Agreed. I can't think of any artist that has made a 10-album run of classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. I can't think of any artist that has made a 10-album run of classics.
    Unless you think 'Trespass' thru 'Duke' and include a live album.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I enjoy things from all Genesis albums, post-Gabriel/"Phil Collins pop era" included. But Invisible Touch isn't even in the same stratosphere as Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, or Duke. I do agree with you about "Domino" - really a great song with some interesting things going on. And a great one when played live.
    Ok, well I'd probably give you that, but I'm pleasantly surprised how much love there is out their for a lot of the music on these albums.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Unless you think 'Trespass' thru 'Duke' and include a live album.
    I don't consider Trespass or ATTWT to be classic albums (or even close), and probably not Wind and Wuthering, either.

I don't consider Trespass or ATTWT to be classic albums (or even close), and probably not Wind and Wuthering, either.
    Add Nursery Cryme to the Meh list! Some people are misinterpreting good for classic!

I dont consider ATTWT (or the live albums) to be classic either, but I certainly do Trespass and W&W. I suppose it (as always) comes down to personal taste. How did Tony put it, 'one man's fool...'