PDA

View Full Version : Master's Apprentices

sotdude
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Just recently picked up Choice Cuts/Toast to Panama Red (2 on 1 release) and their live album Nickelodeon. These are supposed to be their more heavy rock & prog styled albums so I went with them first. Really good if you like guitar heavy arrangements and lots of soloing. Anything else in their discography worth checking out? From the bits I've sampled their earlier release are more pop/psych influenced it seems.

Scrotum Scissor
12-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Their earlier records are essentially collections of singles and EP material, featuring beat-pop through light psychedelia. Choice Cuts is where their acid-bluesrock credentials take off, and Panama Red contains some of the greatest music ever recorded in that specific vein, IMHO. Some of those atmospheres are so dark and desperate they veer on sheer apocalyptic bliss, as in "Games We Play (1 & 2)" and the absolutely dead gorgeous "Thyme to Rhyme", the latter one of the most beautiful ends of a rock album I ever came across.

I was never too crazy about the live album, though. For more Aussie proto-progressive post-psychedelic gems, try Tamam Shud, Tully, Bakery, Spectrum, Madden & Harris, Pirana and Blackfeather.

sotdude
12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the recommendations-I will check into some of those!

JeffCarney
12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I have two comps and both have some fantastic stuff scattered throughout, but I've yet to hear A Toast To Panama Red; which has a strong reputation.

Scrotum Scissor
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I've yet to hear A Toast To Panama Red; which has a strong reputation.
One of the things that makes it stand out is exactly the fact that it's such a coherent whole; there's even something slightly "odysseean" about the whole thing. I'd really love to have this one on vinyl, and I remember Freak Emporium used to stock it - although I can't recall on which label.

Come to think of it, I'd really like to have Tamam Shud's Goolutionites, Blackfeather's Mountains of Madness (I believe there was an Akarma boot of this) and the first Spectrum on vinyl as well.

Chain
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I was never too crazy about the live album, though.

Nickelodeon was badly recorded. Historically though I think it was the first Aussie live rock recording.

Come to think of it, I'd really like to have Tamam Shud's Goolutionites, Blackfeather's Mountains of Madness (I believe there was an Akarma boot of this) and the first Spectrum on vinyl as well.

All available officially via Aztec Music.

Classic Masters Apprentices saw them quite a bit in the 60s and 70s, great live band,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GJkjRo5jkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnMytzzcRGI

Chain
12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
One of the things that makes it stand out is exactly the fact that it's such a coherent whole; there's even something slightly "odysseean" about the whole thing. I'd really love to have this one on vinyl, and I remember Freak Emporium used to stock it - although I can't recall on which label.

Probably because it was recorded at Abbey Road. Regal Zonophone was the non Aussie label I think.

Panama Red http://www.melodig.com/release/12875292/

Joe F.
12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Panama Red is the only one that I have.

A top hard rock album in my book.

I've had Choice Cuts on my want list for years and have never pulled the trigger.