PDA

View Full Version : New Chat Room

Duncan Glenday
12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
We've installed a new CHAT ROOM here on Progressive Ears v3.

In essence it's similar to the old chat room - though we believe it will be faster and more reliable. It also has a few new and interesting features that we'll consider rolling out over the coming weeks.

We're going to shut down the chat room on PEv2. I'll be around on Saturday night and if anything goes wrong with the new chat room, I'll reopen the PEv2 chat room quickly - as a fall-back option.

- See the "Chat Room" menu option the top of the screen.

- Click "Forum", and toward the bottom, there's a list of who's in chat.

- You don't need to log in again - it knows who you are.

Feel free to discuss or ask questions here.

LASERCD
12-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Will it ever work with iPad?

Duncan Glenday
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Will it ever work with iPad?

It also has a few new and interesting features that we'll consider rolling out over the coming weeks.

That's one of them.

Costs extra, though.

LASERCD
12-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Make it work please.

Yves
12-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Jumped in there yesterday. Might have been the first non-mods to try it out (about this time yesterday). Looks a lot like the old room but runs much smoother. Duncan, is there a way to see who is in the chat room before entering it?

Duncan Glenday
12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes.

Front page (i.e. click "Forum") - toward the bottom, where it tells you how many users are on PE - as soon as someone goes into chat, there will be a new section telling you who's in there.

progeezer
12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes.

Front page (i.e. click "Forum") - toward the bottom, where it tells you how many users are on PE - as soon as someone goes into chat, there will be a new section telling you who's in there.And all de children sing, "Wheeew"!;)

Duncan Glenday
12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Also - next to the "Chat Room" menu option, there will be a small number - in red - telling you how many people are in chat.

Caveat: Both of these counters only update every few minutes - it isn't real-time, like the old system.

Jymbot
12-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Mastermen HAVE to know who is in there before entering.

Duncan Glenday
12-06-2012, 05:08 PM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z201/dglenday/Chat_1.png

...and...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z201/dglenday/Chat_2.png

LASERCD
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Duncan - congratulations. It works with Safari. YIPPEEE!

Duncan Glenday
12-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Good news - thanks, Ken

neil123
01-29-2013, 07:27 AM
We're going to shut down the chat room on PEv2. I'll be around on Saturday night and if anything goes wrong with the new chat room, I'll reopen the PEv2 chat room quickly - as a fall-back option.

Duncan Glenday
01-29-2013, 10:50 AM

?!? :huh

Hunnibee
06-01-2013, 10:55 PM
But it doesn't work with Macs? :(

llanwydd
09-30-2015, 02:26 PM
I've had nothing but trouble trying to use the chat room. At first I get a message saying "install Java". After I downloaded Java I got the same message again. A few minutes ago I tried again and got a message saying I had to install "ActiveX" which I tried to do and then got a message saying "Windows has blocked this website because it cannot identify the publisher". Can anybody tell me where to go from here? Thanks.

bob_32_116
09-30-2015, 02:46 PM
The only problem I have with the chat room is that if I enter, there is never anyone else there. :D

I'm normally the first to have problems with things like this because I don't run Windows or MacOs, I run Linux (Fedora) and many sites require the running of software which isn't available or doesn't work in Linux. For example, the chat room does not give me any prompt about java or ActiveX. It prompts me to run "Iced Tea-Web", which i did not even know I had, but apparently i do, and it runs, and chat works fine. (Except, as I said, the room is always empty, but that's hardly a software issue.)

Yves
09-30-2015, 04:12 PM
I'd forgotten there was a chat room here... Does anybody still use it? Does the proffet park his ass there early on Fridays?

NogbadTheBad
09-30-2015, 07:46 PM
I stopped using it during Gagliarchives as I was the only on in there, I now use auralmoon and a Gags specific room.

Duncan Glenday
09-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Question:

Should we keep paying for it?

If costs quite a bit each year, and donations are dwindling...

Sent via PE's mobile app

bob_32_116
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
^^ This question has arisen on several other sites that I visit. My answer is usually "No", unless the chat is the whole purpose of the site. That's not the case with PE.

The fact is, there is no great advantage in getting an instant response, and if two members become friends and want to converse, there is always email or Skype or something.

NogbadTheBad
09-30-2015, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't bother.

Hunnibee
10-28-2015, 02:44 AM
It's been years since I last attempted the chat room here. I'm sorry to say I wouldn't miss it if you were to remove it.