PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dave Brubeck

Sean
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-dave-brubeck-dead-20121205,0,7126256.column

He brought odd meters to the unwashed masses. Looks like he took his last five.

He was no doubt a huge inspriation for many and will be greatly missed.

Paulrus
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I saw the news today, oh boy...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/12/05/166570705/dave-brubeck-legendary-jazz-musician-dead-at-age-91

I know some may think this belongs in OT, but Brubeck (and the Time Out album, specifically) was a seminal influence on many first generation prog musicians, Kieth Emerson perhaps being the easiest example.

He had a great run and was performing right up til the end. Thanks for all the music, Dave.

RIP

ChrisXymphonia
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I have borrowed this album in my teens from the local library and always liked it. Then about 6 years ago I saw that there was this Time box (with all the Time albums from Brubeck) out there and actually thought about picking it up but at that time the price was a bit too steep for me. Still haven't gotten around to get it but this might just prompt me to at least buy the Time Out album finally.

sonic
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
He brought odd meters to the unwashed masses.
I sure hope they took a bath after they heard them.

Sputnik
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
He had a great run and was performing right up til the end. Thanks for all the music, Dave.

RIP
Exactly. I'm not a huge jazz fan, but I really like Brubeck - particularly his albums with Paul Desmond. I'm so happy to have seen him perform, and he was awesome, as was his band. I'll enjoy his music for the rest of my life and hope people continue to discover and enjoy his albums.

Bill

progeezer
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
He lived a long life and influenced innumerable musicians, RIP Mr. Brubeck.

Kay & I saw him play in 2010, and he was superb even at 89.

Progmatic
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow...RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc34Uj8wlmE

ItalProgRules
12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I still have and treasure my father's pristine original vinyl Brubeck albums. I love them as much as he did and I'm sure glad he turned me on to Brubeck at a very young age.

My father was a classically trained pianist (back in the days when piano lessons were common and affordable to the middle and lower-middle class-his dad was a blue collar plant worker.) When rock and roll was born, my then-teenaged dad chucked the Rachmaninoff and went whole hog for r & r and jazz. Passed on his love of both to me.

RIP Mr. Brubeck (and my dad!)

Yanks2014
12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
91, God bless him! What a long career, and plenty of great music. I was smart enough to finally pick up "Time Out" about 10 years ago, one of my favorite jazz records. RIP

Steve F.
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Musically active all the way to the end. A great musician and a HUGE influence on jazz and on the popularity of jazz.

JeffCarney
12-05-2012, 01:09 PM
"Take Five" and "Time Out" are some my earliest musical memories. My brother took to Brubeck at a very young age and would spin that stuff.

We loved that music.

Saw Brubeck maybe 25 years ago and it was sensational. Man, thinking about it, he was getting "older" then. Certainly lived a long life.

spellbound
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
One of my all-time jazz favorites. Rest in peace, Dave. Thanks for the great music.

walt
12-05-2012, 01:20 PM
For many people,Brubeck was their entry point into jazz.

RIP Dave Brubeck.

Chuck AzEee!
12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
One of the greats. RIP Dave sadly would have turned 92 tomorrow.

Facelift
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
It's very sad, but he got 92 years and decades of fame. And he did what he loved until just about the very end. I last saw him in June of 2011. Glad I did.

fictionmusic
12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
a master...I saw him several times through-out his career...never with Desmond but a few times with sundry sons in tow. RIP indeed.

Wisdomview
12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
A master. R.I.P.

Supersonic Scientist
12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh boy how sad to hear this. R.I.P. Mr. Brubeck. You were a master musician. Sorry that I never got to see you perform. I know my Dad saw you several times in the early '60's.

bill g
12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Very sad. Grew up on his music. My mom sang with him in his band on one of his tours. I will have to give her a call.

Rarebird
12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Sad news indeed. I only have one album. Alas never got into investigating him.

gregory
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh how sad. My favorite jazz musician. Rest In Peace, Dave.

Man In The Mountain
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Saw him last year at Ravinia, Highland Park IL, on father's day with his 3 sons. He was 91 and it didn't stop him!

Sean
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
"I hear you're mad about Bruuuuuubeck..."

meimjustalawnmower
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Take Five is prolly my earliest memory of jazz. Goodbye Dave. Say hi to Paul D when you get where you're going.

KGHofSF
12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
A sad day indeed. Over the years I've found a decent amount of Dave Brubeck Quartet records at estate sales and never can recall being disappointed when I put it on.
A big loss
regards
KGH

willyswing
12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
OMG, I can't believe it! My favorite jazzer, by far. RIP, Dave, will be playing all my Brubie albums in memorial.

mogrooves
12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
An important factor--maybe THE important factor--in re-vitalizing the jazz audience in the 50s. I've always blown hot 'n cold on his playing, preferring the early trio and octet sides to the "odd siggy" stuff he became famous for.

RIP.....

AncientChord
12-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I ALWAYS think of him every time I hear ELP's version of his famous Blue Rondo A La Turk. His impact on not only jazz, but progressive rock and his ways of improvisation is huge and overwhelming. I truly don't believe that prog would have been the same without him. A true musical genius. May he RIP.

gregory
12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhWkeJ6VX0

rapidfirerob
12-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Saw him and his sons once. Talent +.

Jerjo
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Talent, class, and an enthusiasm for his art. The contribution of time signatures is enormous but his compositions still hold up as well. R.I.P. to one of the last giants of seminal jazz.

Yves
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Saw him in 2005. It was enjoyable but his age was really showing.

RIP Mr Brubeck! Your music was one of my gateways into jazz.

Fracktured
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Elementals from Time Changes is one of my all time favorite jazz pieces. Sadly I never got to see Dave perform, but at least he left us a legacy of wonderful music. RIP Dave.

Rick

rcarlberg
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Dave Brubeck, the jazz pianist, composer and bandleader behind the legendary Dave Brubeck Quartet, has died at age 91.

The death of Brubeck, whose quartet performed “Take Five,” which became a jazz standard and the bestselling jazz single of all time, was confirmed Wednesday by the Associated Press. Brubeck would have turned 92 Thursday.

According to the AP, Brubeck died of heart failure after being stricken while on the way to a cardiologist's appointment in Connecticut.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-dave-brubeck-dies-20121205,0,5143972.story

Dean Watson
12-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Very sad indeed. I was in awe at his playing schedule at such a late age in life! From interviews he has done I can tell he loved life! I hope you are still enjoying wherever you are right now Dave!

oilersfan
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Really sorry to hear this. Spinning 'Time Out' right now in memory. RIP...

scags
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
A giant, and a good long life. I spent a lot of time hanging out with him in the 80's, and he was a really nice guy ( I only knew him as "Dave" for 6 months before he told me his last name.)

3LockBox
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Wow, just a day before his birthday...

Think I'll spin Time Out and hoist a pint in his honor.

http://youtu.be/faJE92phKzI

RIP

bill g
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Very sad. Grew up on his music. My mom sang with him in his band on one of his tours. I will have to give her a call.

It's not important in the big picture, but to set things right, my dad had told me my mom sang with Brubeck, but I called my mother, and she tells me, no she sang with Stan Kenton. My mom is humble and so never discusses her music life, and I had thought my dad would have known what he was talking about.

Anyway, my mom is also a huge Brubeck fan and adds her condolences. I remember us listening to him together when I was a kid.

TonyW
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Only managed to see him once, at the University of Warwick in the early 80s, but glad I caught a jazz master - he remained vital and active to the end. RIP Dave.

Sunlight Caller
12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
One of my favourites in the jazz world, a true great. BBC news just aired a lovely tribute. RIP Dave.

Digital_Man
12-05-2012, 06:55 PM
One day shy of his 92nd birthday. RIP Dave.

ThomasKDye
12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Why isn't this on the main board? My God, the man must have been one of many tremendous influences on prog rock.

rcarlberg
12-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm just spinning the 4-CD boxed set Time Signatures: A Career Retrospective, and got to the song from Impressions of Japan called "Fujiyama." My god what a gorgeous and unexpected little tune. Dave's writing certainly couldn't be pigeon-holed.

I laughed out loud when I re-read his comments on "Unsquare Dance":
I never wrote down "Unsquare Dance" either -- just sang it in the car on the way to the session, came in and said "Let's play this tune in 7/4." When we finally got the ending right, I promised the group that we would never have to play the tune again. You can hear Joe's laugh of relief at the end. It wasn't until I began performing with my sons that I started to play this tune live.
I usually play "Koto Song" within the pentatonic scale, but on this occasion I departed from that approach and ventured into different harmonic areas. Paul told me to be sure to get a copy before we left, he said, "I've never heard you play like this." When I get going like that I don't know if my fingers are leading my brain or if my brain is leading my fingers.

Trane
12-06-2012, 03:52 AM
I understood this morning when I heard Take Five on three different radio stations

RIP, Dave!!!

Oreb
12-06-2012, 04:36 AM
The beautiful "Kathy's Waltz" is one of my favourite tunes.

There is something incredibly infectious and loveable about the obvious delight and pleasure Dave took in his music and his life. It shines through every photo.

Thanks Dave. Rest easy.

nycsteve
12-06-2012, 07:51 AM
My Dad used to take me to thrift stores on a weekend day when I was young. They used to line Second Ave in the E 80s in Manhatten. I was maybe 10 years old in the late 60s , Dad would look for whatever and I would cruise the books and records. I had no idea what I was looking at but I bought Brubecks Time Out because the LP cover looked like a spirograph drawing. Got a pristine copy for 10 cents. One of my early music memories. Most often my blind picks were duds , but not that time. Still have the record.

gregory
12-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Today I was totally into Brubeck - spinned Brubeck Plays Bernstain and Jazz Impressions From Japan - both on one CD. JIFJ is as famous, as Time Out. A classic album of his.
Especially Fujiyama and Koto Song - !!!

Chuck AzEee!
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
The beautiful "Kathy's Waltz" is one of my favourite tunes.

There is something incredibly infectious and loveable about the obvious delight and pleasure Dave took in his music and his life. It shines through every photo.

Thanks Dave. Rest easy.Indeed John,

"Kathy's Waltz" is a lovely tune, perhaps my favorite from a great album.

Oh but for those who don't know anything but for Time Out Dave's recording career was pretty much stellar on its own, the excellent Carnagie Hall recording from 1963 is stunning! Joe Morrelo as a drummer had few in his league, a master of his craft.

Chuck AzEee!
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Why isn't this on the main board? My God, the man must have been one of many tremendous influences on prog rock.

Keith Emerson, Jack Bruce and Robert Fripp to name a few.

rcarlberg
12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Joe Morrelo as a drummer had few in his league, a master of his craft.Yup, although sadly he slowly went blind, I believe from diabetes?

Sean
12-06-2012, 03:37 PM
No matter how wide your reach, a death thread goes in OT, Thomas. And if you aren't musical you don't even go there.

Chuck AzEee!
12-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Yup, although sadly he slowly went blind, I believe from diabetes?He had a congenitive eye condition since birth which got worse as got older causing his blindness.

rcarlberg
12-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks Chuck for clarifying (pardon the pun)

No Pride
12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Saw him and his sons once.
Ditto. I'm sure glad I did!

I don't know what to add that hasn't already been said here. I saw it on the news the other day while I was busy doing something else. I immediately turned up the volume on the tube and thought, "is this what I think it is?! SHIT!" But hell, he had a good long life, filled with making great music. Like Fagen says in that song, "the man's a genius; a pioneer." He sure wrote some great tunes!

RIP, Dave.

ThomasKDye
12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
No matter how wide your reach, a death thread goes in OT, Thomas. And if you aren't musical you don't even go there.

OK, fair enough, but some are on the Main Board right now. That's why I was confused.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/1019-RIP-Ed-Cassidy-Spirit-s-Uber-cool-Bald-Drummer