PDA

View Full Version : Polk Loudspeakers

jlneudorf
12-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I remember Polk speakers back in the '80s were quite popular but I have never listened to them. I am looking to upgrade my system and Polk speakers often go on sale in my neck of the woods. Anyone here have Polk speakers and if so how do they sound. Thanks in advance for all who respond.

Regards,
Jon

Jerjo
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't have Polks but I heard some recently powered through a Denon amp. Not bad at all. Tight bass and the highs weren't sweetened. Their subs are very good. Obviously there are better audiophile brands but Polk are still better than any of the stuff in big box retailers or malls. And being you're living in the sticks just as much as I am, it's not like there's high end stores to shop in anyway. What will you be using as a receiver/amp? It's best if you can hear them with your brand before you buy.

markwoll
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
The models sold through new egg , the model 30 - 70 are very nicely priced and they sound pretty good for home theater. They are sold just through newegg.
They are not audiophile , but based on older mid range Polk speakers.
Their LSI line are audiophile and need pretty substantial amps.
I have the model 70's for fronts, model 40"s for rear. A nice combo for me.

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I own a pair of SDA-CRS from 1988. Still work. But I doubt they're a good indicator of how Polks sound now-a-days. Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate. The SDAs I own are philosophically different from their current line in that my models employ passive radiators, not ports, for extended bass response. Also, the SDA circuitry and driver layout is in conflict with modern HT environment. But I still listen to music in stereo, not 5.1. :)

trurl
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm a long-time fan. I think they have a really good sound to price ratio... I don't keep up with such things though, I don't really know what the modern alternatives are.

jlneudorf
12-04-2012, 12:47 AM
To answer your question Jerjo, I am looking for a new receiver as well (my lousy Sony went on the blink). I need something that will work well as both home theater and music (CDs) but my budget will be a little limited. That's why Polks caught my eye as others have stated they are pretty decent for the price. As far as receivers go Denon, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha and Pioneer seem to go an sale quite regularly. High end audio is not practical at this time.

Regards,
Jon

enpdllp
12-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Also, the SDA circuitry and driver layout is in conflict with modern HT environment.

???

3LockBox
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
???

well, not in conflict - poor choice of words - the driver layout and SDA circuitry is inconsequential to the modern multi-channel environment. Sounstaging and imaging is more a function of digital signal processing than it is speaker design/driver arrangment, at least where my old fashioned Polks are concerned (not saying speaker design is less important in the HT world). The SDA (stereo dimensional array) placed two mid-bass drivers side by each, with the inner driver playing a mix of the opposite channel (out of phase) for cross-talk cancelation, expanding the stereo field of seperation as well enhancing a phantom center audio image. And it worked too, but careful consideration had to be made with regards to speaker placement, listening position, etc. You know, wannabe audiophool stuff.

enpdllp
12-04-2012, 07:42 PM
well, not in conflict - poor choice of words - the driver layout and SDA circuitry is inconsequential to the modern multi-channel environment. Sounstaging and imaging is more a function of digital signal processing than it is speaker design/driver arrangment, at least where my old fashioned Polks are concerned (not saying speaker design is less important in the HT world). The SDA (stereo dimensional array) placed two mid-bass drivers side by each, with the inner driver playing a mix of the opposite channel (out of phase) for cross-talk cancelation, expanding the stereo field of seperation as well enhancing a phantom center audio image. And it worked too, but careful consideration had to be made with regards to speaker placement, listening position, etc. You know, wannabe audiophool stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. I was scratching my head when I read your comment.

Speaker placement and listening position are two very under used techniques that don't cost money and significantly improve the sound quality on a music system. Sometimes it takes a little bit of patience to find the sweet spot, but in some cases it could make a system sound better than purchasing a more expensive speaker or source component. The main problem with this approach is that most people do not have a dedicated room and the optimal position of speakers and listening spot might not be the most practical for a room that is used for more than listening to music.

Jerjo
12-04-2012, 08:18 PM
To answer your question Jerjo, I am looking for a new receiver as well (my lousy Sony went on the blink). I need something that will work well as both home theater and music (CDs) but my budget will be a little limited. That's why Polks caught my eye as others have stated they are pretty decent for the price. As far as receivers go Denon, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha and Pioneer seem to go an sale quite regularly. High end audio is not practical at this time.

Regards,
Jon

Sounds like a decent plan. I would suggest one thing. Bring a stack of CDs, ones you know really well and are known to be good sounding and run the speakers with various receivers/amps in your price range. You'll be amazed how different those speakers will sound depending on what's pushing them. And when you find the sweetest combination, lay your money down. When we got our system, my wife and I spent a long time sitting in the showroom, playing with combinations using our fave CDs. It was an eye-opener how much difference there is, even without getting into nosebleed high-end territory.

jlneudorf
12-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a decent plan. I would suggest one thing. Bring a stack of CDs, ones you know really well and are known to be good sounding and run the speakers with various receivers/amps in your price range. You'll be amazed how different those speakers will sound depending on what's pushing them. And when you find the sweetest combination, lay your money down. When we got our system, my wife and I spent a long time sitting in the showroom, playing with combinations using our fave CDs. It was an eye-opener how much difference there is, even without getting into nosebleed high-end territory.

Very good advice! Supertramp - Crime, Floyd - Dark Side, Porky Tree - Lightbulb Sun and Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Regards,
Jon

enpdllp
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Good advice on bringing CDs of familiar music. Even better if you create one or two CDRs with various styles of music so you can go from one style of music to another and see how the systems you are auditioning react instead of relying on your memory while changing discs. Make sure you include female vocals and acoustic tracks in your selections to ensure the sound stage is realistic and the tonality, scaling, and ambiance make a simple, yet complete presentation.

BTW, make sure that the store where you buy your equipment has a good exchange/return policy. Even better if they have a loan program. Sometimes what sounds good on an audio store might not sound so good at your residence or with your equipment.

jlneudorf
12-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Good advice on bringing CDs of familiar music. Even better if you create one or two CDRs with various styles of music so you can go from one style of music to another and see how the systems you are auditioning react instead of relying on your memory while changing discs. Make sure you include female vocals and acoustic tracks in your selections to ensure the sound stage is realistic and the tonality, scaling, and ambiance make a simple, yet complete presentation.

BTW, make sure that the store where you buy your equipment has a good exchange/return policy. Even better if they have a loan program. Sometimes what sounds good on an audio store might not sound so good at your residence or with your equipment.

Thanks!

Regards,
Jon

jlneudorf
12-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Anyone have the NAD T 748 7 channel receiver? Thinking of listening to that paired with Polk TSI 500 tower speakers. Right now the system is selling for $1288 (also included is a Polk 10 inch sub). I figure that sounds like a pretty decent deal. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Jon

BarryLI
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I own a pair of SDA-CRS from 1988. Still work. But I doubt they're a good indicator of how Polks sound now-a-days. Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate. The SDAs I own are philosophically different from their current line in that my models employ passive radiators, not ports, for extended bass response. Also, the SDA circuitry and driver layout is in conflict with modern HT environment. But I still listen to music in stereo, not 5.1. :)

Still have my SDA-1A's, love 'em.

OptiquesJeff
12-12-2012, 10:22 PM
I own a pair of SDA-CRS from 1988. Still work. But I doubt they're a good indicator of how Polks sound now-a-days. Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate. The SDAs I own are philosophically different from their current line in that my models employ passive radiators, not ports, for extended bass response. :)

One of my smaller systems has a pair of Polk S-8 speakers....8" woofer, 8" passive radiator, and silk dome tweeter. I agree...Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate.... If they could handle more power I would consider them a prime choice for the main speakers in my main system (these max at 150 watts peak, my main amp rates 200 watts RMS/ch, meaning even more on peaks...the system I do use them with is rated 45w/ch, a perfect match). I just really like the way they sound, and among the MANY speakers and systems to choose from, the Polks are one of my favorites.

BTW, I got the pair for a whopping $10, including small stands, at a flea market. In fact, MOST of my audio gear has been gotten at fleas and yard sales for pennies on the dollar....a great way to build a great system on a budget. As people move to crappy or even not so crappy home theater setups, they are dumping great vintage gear CHEAP.

Camelogue
12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
I still have a pair of 10s from the 70's man.

Jerjo
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Anyone have the NAD T 748 7 channel receiver? Thinking of listening to that paired with Polk TSI 500 tower speakers. Right now the system is selling for $1288 (also included is a Polk 10 inch sub). I figure that sounds like a pretty decent deal. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Jon

Two reviews of that receiver:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audiocomponentreviews/fr/Nad-T748-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Review.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/nad-t-748-pre

enpdllp
12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
One of my smaller systems has a pair of Polk S-8 speakers....8" woofer, 8" passive radiator, and silk dome tweeter. I agree...Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate.... If they could handle more power I would consider them a prime choice for the main speakers in my main system (these max at 150 watts peak, my main amp rates 200 watts RMS/ch, meaning even more on peaks...the system I do use them with is rated 45w/ch, a perfect match). I just really like the way they sound, and among the MANY speakers and systems to choose from, the Polks are one of my favorites.

Not sure how loud you listen to your music, but if you feel the Polk S-8's sound that great, you should reconsider and use them on your main system. Running the S8s at medium to high volume levels on the 45 Watt amplifier could do more damage to the speakers than running it at low or medium levels on the 200 Watt amplifier. When you play music at a lower volume level, knob setting, the amplifier doesn’t have to work as hard to drive the speakers to their full capacity, resulting in cleaner, more dynamic sound. Playing at higher volume levels, knob setting, will get the amplifier into its distortion region (Clipping), which usually does more damage to speakers than surpassing the peak wattage figure.

A good rule of thumb is that if you have to use more than 60% of your volume level setting, you probably need a bigger amplifier.

jlneudorf
12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks Jerjo, I had already come across those. Was hoping for some feedback via PE members.

Regards,
Jon

Jerjo
12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
So Jon, did you pull the trigger and buy?

jlneudorf
12-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Not yet Jerjo. I am hoping to score a decent deal on Boxing Day. Really hoping it will happen.

Regards,
Jon

Klonk
12-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Been using Polk forever. I've had the same Polk RM6900 5.1 for a while now. Replaced the sub that came with them because it was weak and these things are awesome. Music or movies...great sound!

Speaking of Polk TSI series, I bought the 300's for my Dad and they are great as well. Add a good sub and they rock. Without the sub they still sound good, but for good movie experience I'd add it.

jlneudorf
12-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks Klonk. Good to know!

Regards,
Jon

Firth
12-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Their LSI line are audiophile and need pretty substantial amps.

I have the LSI 5.1 surround system (all 5 speakers including the powered subwoofers within the towers) and it takes pretty much all my Pioneer SC-37 Elite receiver can offer. They are 4 ohms, which is a challenge for most receivers. The LSI series may have been replaced with the LSIM series which appears to have taken the flagship position.

jlneudorf
12-23-2012, 03:01 PM
How does the TSI series compare?

Regards,
Jon

jlneudorf
12-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Anyone know anything about the Polk Monitor 75's.

Regards,
Jon

jlneudorf
12-23-2012, 06:36 PM
There is also an Onkyo HTRC470 7.2 Channel AV Receiver I am curious about (on sale for $448). Could not find any reviews on-line. Anyone here know about Onyko products?

Firth
12-23-2012, 07:25 PM
There is also an Onkyo HTRC470 7.2 Channel AV Receiver I am curious about (on sale for $448). Could not find any reviews on-line. Anyone here know about Onyko products? Those Onkyo amps are good at driving 4 Ohms, however at one time they were mighty inefficient and produced alot of heat. That heat caused other board failures. Problems could have been solved.

Klonk
12-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, Onkyos run incredibly hot. I had an Onkyo before my latest (Marantz :up) and while it was an excellent receiver, when its really working, like watching blurays, it would sometimes overheat and shut off. I had to buy a cooling fan to rest on top.

jlneudorf
12-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Jon

jlneudorf
12-25-2012, 12:06 PM
In the Best Buy Boxing Day flyer they have Klipsch F-10 dual 6.5 inch Synergy Series Towers, 10 inch 225 watt sub, 4 inch dual center channel and 5.25 inch bookshelf speakers, all for $699 (savings 0f $1070). I remember Klipsch back in the day (the Klipsch horn technology). Have never heard them though. There is also a Harmon Kardon 770 Watt 7.1 channel receiver (model # AVR 3650) for $600 (savings of $600). For the most part the reviews seem favourable on the receiver and the speakers. Unfortunately I have not had the time to do my due dilegence. I know this is not the way to buy stereo equipment but that is my reality if I want to take advantage of the sales. When I bought my JBL L100T behemonth speakers in the '80s I listened to many different pairs before taking the plunge. Anyways, what you say people? Does that seem like a decent system for someone who does not have unlimited financial resources? Comments....

Brian Griffin
12-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Big Klipsch fan, my bedroom home theater uses their speakers and I think they're great mid-fi level

No experience with HK receivers, I remain a Yamaha devote

I'm guessing its a pretty sweet rig

BG

jlneudorf
12-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks Brian! Maybe this will be the one!

Regards,
Jon

jlneudorf
12-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Took the plunge this morning. Went out early in the cold (-30 degrees C) and bought the harman kardon and Klipsch speakers. Hopefully this will sound nice. Maybe eventually I will get the F-30s for the fronts and move the F-10s to the back. Looking forward to getting this baby set up!

Regards,
Jon

Brian Griffin
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Took the plunge this morning.

Well??????

How are you loving it?

BG

jlneudorf
01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Well, don't know yet. We are doing a basement reno and am going to wait to set it up until after the 14th (carpet installation). So hopefully I will have it running on the 15th. I still have till Jan 26th to return it if I am not happy with the sound. Can't wait to set this baby up as listening to tunes on my computer sucks (still have my Sony Walkman though). I have a feeling it's going to sound pretty nice. Will post then.

Regards,
Jon

Jubal
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
I own a pair of Monitor 70s for the fronts L/R. CS-2 for center channel, Monitor 30s on stands for rears, and 2 PSW-505s for subs. I am very happy with this set up.

Firth
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
I own a pair of Monitor 70s for the fronts L/R. CS-2 for center channel, Monitor 30s on stands for rears, and 2 PSW-505s for subs. I am very happy with this set up.

Did you compare these to Polks before purchasing

wideopenears
01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Okay, we want to know...how does it sound?

I have some Polk bookselves, which are not currently in use...they will be , when my mancave is finished...I'll be running them with my Yamaha turntable, Yamaha CD playerand a Yamaha receiver. Currently, in the living room I'm running some Cambridge tower speakers, a Yamaha Center speaker, along with some Sony back surrounds and a Yamaha Subwoofer, from another Yamaha receiver....for home theater and house listening applications.

Can you tell I'm a Yamaha fan?

Jerjo
01-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I just ordered a Polk subwoofer for my mancave. The system there is just an old JVC receiver pushing a pair of bookshelf Infinity speakers. The speakers are actually pretty good but the bottom end needed a little oomph, at least until I upgrade the entire system.

Brian Griffin
01-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Can you tell I'm a Yamaha fan?

Unless you really go high end, I don't think you can beat Yamaha

Both my home theaters have Yamaha receivers and DVD players - ones got a Yamaha center channel speaker as well

BG

jlneudorf
01-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Well I have finally had a chance to work on setting up my surround. Its not tweaked yet by any means and I have to learn alot more about my receiver (harmon kardon 3650) but when I put on "Crime of the Century" it was like I was listening to the album for the first time. Definitely drives the Klipsch F-10s nicely (very impressed with Klipsch). Sounds excellent to these ears. For the back surround speakers I have a cheaper pair of axioms which will be replaced with Polk M10 bookshelf speakers (on order). I think this is going to be a keeper. Now I can get some reviewing done!

Regards,
Jon

Jerjo
01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Glad to hear it worked out Jon. Crank them tunes!

I just got a new Polk subwoofer for my office system and just got everything wired up. Damn old JVC receiver wouldn't send a signal to the sub and my bookshelf speakers. It will do one or the other, but not both. So I guess I'm in the market for a small integrated amplifier now.

jlneudorf
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks Jerjo! Too bad about your amp but happy hunting nonetheless.

Regards,
Jon

3LockBox
01-26-2013, 01:02 AM
I owned an Onkyo receiver with my Polks and always though there was a certain synergy twixt the two. But alas, a chip set in the control panel went out and it was cost prohibitive to fix it.

Last time I looked at multi-channel receivers, Onkyo receivers had a great feature called 5-channel stereo which allowed all channels driven at full range w/o any surround matrix or restriction (it did allow volume control). I lurved it.

Brian Griffin
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Last time I looked at multi-channel receivers, Onkyo receivers had a great feature called 5-channel stereo which allowed all channels driven at full range w/o any surround matrix or restriction (it did allow volume control).

My Yamaha's have that setting, I prefer straight up 2 channel stereo though

BG