PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye David Beckham

jake
12-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Well that was one of the most over-blon super-hyped media events ever. Beckham was supposed to transform football - or soccer as it is known in the U.S. And what did he achieve - he is still more famous here for appearing in his kegs on billboards than for any sporting achievements.
So do we blame him, his handlers, MLS or someone else. Personally I feel if there is no football on broadcast TV David Beckham could have been the risen Christ he would still have flopped. His big farewell game yesterday did not even merit a mention on any of the network news stations.
So now the question remains - if Pele failed, then holding the World Cup in the US failed, now Beckham fails - is there any hope for football as a major sport in the U.S?

80s were ok
12-02-2012, 04:04 PM
what are you talking about.....Soccer/Futball is still probably the most popular sport in the world.

meimjustalawnmower
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
In the US, it's all about the big three - MLB, NFL, NBA. Period. Even college and high school level American football gets more attention than the NHL, much less "soccer", or "futbol", or whatever you wanna call it. Even when I was a kid in the 70's, my school had a soccer team. But 35+ years later the sport hasn't caught on in the same way that even american football has in England or other parts of the world. As far as Beckham is concerned, I would give more credit to Pele for advancing the popularity of futbol. Beckham has spent his entire career promoting himself.

3LockBox
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Well that was one of the most over-blon super-hyped media events ever. Beckham was supposed to transform football - or soccer as it is known in the U.S... now the question remains - if Pele failed, then holding the World Cup in the US failed, now Beckham fails - is there any hope for "football" as a major sport in the U.S? why does soccer fan care if Soccer is a major sport in the US? I don't care if the NFL ever catches on outside the US. Hockey fan doesn't care if hockey's more popular than it is. It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like American football. I don't care who likes soccer, but most soccer fans I know are bothered that I don't care for it. I even know some soccer fans who've gone so far as to suggest some sort of social and cultural imperative for the US to embrace soccer. Insufferable.

NogbadTheBad
12-02-2012, 08:30 PM
It would be nice if soccer was bigger in the USA and it will probably continue to growth with the growing Hispanic demographic. I never really cared much for Beckham, he was a good enough player in his youth though never worthy of the publicity he got. As an experiment I think it is a wash. I still watch much more English soccer in the USA than I ever will of MLS. I'm fine with it being the 5th or 6th biggest sport in the USA, who cares?

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
what are you talking about.

Obviously, if you read his post, he's talking about soccer's popularity in the U.S.

Soccer will NEVER be popular here, as it's just not a very exciting game for U.S. audiences. For forty years now, folks have been trying different things to spark more popularity and it's just never going to happen.

And as someone who thinks it's just a terrible spectator sport, I'm OK with that. ;)

jake
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
why does soccer fan care if Soccer is a major sport in the US?......Insufferable.
...err ... because I live in the U.S.

meimjustalawnmower
12-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Obviously, if you read his post, he's talking about soccer's popularity in the U.S.

Soccer will NEVER be popular here, as it's just not a very exciting game for U.S. audiences.

I wouldn't say that. It's real popular for little kids who can't hit a ball off a tee.

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
It's popular for them to play.

Even their parents don't want to actually watch it. ;)

wideopenears
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Disagree. I think it's growing in popularity, even amongst American White Guys....based on my impressions, living in a big city area. Give it time.

JIF
12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Well that was one of the most over-blon super-hyped media events ever. Beckham was supposed to transform football - or soccer as it is known in the U.S. And what did he achieve - he is still more famous here for appearing in his kegs on billboards than for any sporting achievements.
So do we blame him, his handlers, MLS or someone else. Personally I feel if there is no football on broadcast TV David Beckham could have been the risen Christ he would still have flopped. His big farewell game yesterday did not even merit a mention on any of the network news stations.
So now the question remains - if Pele failed, then holding the World Cup in the US failed, now Beckham fails - is there any hope for football as a major sport in the U.S?David is more known for being Mr. Posh Spice.

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Disagree. I think it's growing in popularity, even amongst American White Guys....based on my impressions, living in a big city area. Give it time.

Again, they said this 40 years ago when Pele was playing for the Cosmos.

It ain't gonna happen.

Thank God.

NogbadTheBad
12-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I find it much more exciting than Baseball, Basketball & Football, but then I grew up with the game. I think that is pretty much essential to mass enjoyment. Clearly the vast majority of the World's population find it plenty entertaining enough.

jake
12-02-2012, 10:22 PM
I find it much more exciting than Baseball, Basketball & Football, but then I grew up with the game. I think that is pretty much essential to mass enjoyment. Clearly the vast majority of the World's population find it plenty entertaining enough.
i agree but I still don't get why Americans don't like it - and also why some get defensive and resort to insulting the game, the players and the fans when the subject is raised.

3LockBox
12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
...err ... because I live in the U.S.

are you from the US?

jake
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
are you from the US?

No. I'm from Scotland, but I've lived here just short of 30 years.

3LockBox
12-02-2012, 11:05 PM
i agree but I still don't get why Americans don't like it - and also why some get defensive and resort to insulting the game, the players and the fans when the subject is raised.

not defensive, just perturbed. No other sports fan does what soccer fan does. I have friends and acquaintances who are baseball fans, and give me no grief when say I don't follow the sport. Same with hockey. They don't care if I like their sport or not. But soccer fans are as bad as Jehovah's Witnesses when it come the sport. They're just so sure you're mistaken, or that you haven't given it the proper attention or that you have some sort of anti-soccer agenda. I wouldn't be remiss if soccer gained in popularity in the US, but I don't place any importance on whether it does or not. I don't believe that im obligated to like it nor do I buy into the ethos that liking soccer says jack squat about a person's level of sophistication.

Gruno
12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Soccer will NEVER be popular here, as it's just not a very exciting game for U.S. audiences. For forty years now, folks have been trying different things to spark more popularity and it's just never going to happen.

And as someone who thinks it's just a terrible spectator sport, I'm OK with that. ;)

We think alike on many things. Wish your taste in music was better though! ;)

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
We think alike on many things. Wish your taste in music was better though! ;)

I think I like a lot more of what you like then vice-versa.

Or...something....;)

80s were ok
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Again, they said this 40 years ago when Pele was playing for the Cosmos.

It ain't gonna happen.

Thank God.soccer isn't popular with "White Guys"? Just about every white kid plays soccer in school or after school or whatever.

3LockBox
12-02-2012, 11:42 PM
How many of you soccer fans like indoor soccer?

meimjustalawnmower
12-02-2012, 11:51 PM

It's nothing against soccer, so much as we already have three sports that we can claim as our own, and all of which involve more strategy than just being able to get a little ball into a big net without using your hands. Just sayin'.

80s were ok
12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
It's nothing against soccer, so much as we already have three sports that we can claim as our own, and all of which involve more strategy than just being able to get a little ball into a big net without using your hands. Just sayin'.

oh my.......

80s were ok
12-03-2012, 12:00 AM
How many of you soccer fans like indoor soccer?

indoor soccer is actually pretty good. The field is smaller so there is more "action" so to speak. My parents were season ticket holders for the Cosmos so I have fond memories of going to Giants Stadium for games so I'll always enjoy Soccer.

meimjustalawnmower
12-03-2012, 12:22 AM
indoor soccer is actually pretty good. The field is smaller so there is more "action" so to speak.
More action? Does it even matter? I can see the difference between NFL vs. Arena, but you can play soccer in your back yard and it doesn't change the dynamics of the game one iota. It's still the same fucking game.

80s were ok
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
More action? Does it even matter? I can see the difference between NFL vs. Arena, but you can play soccer in your back yard and it doesn't change the dynamics of the game one iota. It's still the same fucking game.

lemme guess...you were always the last one picked for a team? It's one thing to not like the game, that's fine, but to suggest it's mindless and without strategy?

meimjustalawnmower
12-03-2012, 12:55 AM
lemme guess...you were always the last one picked for a team? It's one thing to not like the game, that's fine, but to suggest it's mindless and without strategy?
What? I can't have an opinion without being stalked by some insecure fuck? And yes, it is mindless and without strategy. You gotta problem with that? Go cry to your mommy.

80s were ok
12-03-2012, 01:05 AM
What? I can't have an opinion without being stalked by some insecure fuck? And yes, it is mindless and without strategy. You gotta problem with that? Go cry to your mommy.

damn, how did you know? I spend 10 hours a day trying to find which threads you post to so I can replay to them....by the way...I'd call out anyone who would call soccer a mindless game without strategy. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, so it's fine you don't like soccer. But when the ignornance comes, that's when you get called out. Ok, now I gotta check in the last hour to see where you posted so I can reply in those threads....

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 02:47 AM
soccer isn't popular with "White Guys"? Just about every white kid plays soccer in school or after school or whatever.

Where did I say anything about "White guys?" :doh

PeterG
12-03-2012, 04:24 AM
what are you talking about.....Soccer/Futball is still probably the most popular sport in the world.

Exactly. The football community globally really doesn't give two hoots if football gets bigger in the US or not because in general (I know there are 1 or 2 exceptions e.g. Japan) the rest of world plays football, it doesn't play baseball or American football.

Football quite simply doesn't need the US. Also football will never get bigger in the US as long as it remains a middle class urban and suburban sport, mostly successful in kids' and women's teams. Football has to appeal across the board in the US from working class men to upper class housewives before it gets bigger.

Look at Europe for example, Royalty regularly attend matches for God's sake!

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I like indoor soccer better because there's no out of bounds stoppage every 30 seconds. The wall actually becomes apart of a player's strategy. It can be used in passing and it increases shots on goal. And while there is a three-line rule similar to hockey, there is no stupid offside rule.

I do think that flopping is an absolutely embarrassing thing for an athlete to do in any sport. They may as well panhandle in the stands during games. I'd rather see fights than flops. At least the NBA has started to address the trend, recognizing the potential for long-term pussification of the sport if flopping isn't curtailed.

80s were ok
12-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I like indoor soccer better because there's no out of bounds stoppage every 30 seconds. The wall actually becomes apart of a player's strategy. It can be used in passing and it increases shots on goal. .correct- that is what I meant by there being more action with Indoor Soccer. Learning how to utilize the wall is a big part of the game and can really make things interesting!

TheNefariousHED
12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Soccer is obviously growing in popularity in the US. Just look at the huge chunk o' coin shelled out by NBC for the rights to the EPL, let alone MLS's increase in average attendance for each of the last few years -- a shade over 19,000 this year. Hell, even MLS actually has a TV contract now where the networks pay them to broadcast their games unlike the first 10 years or so of the league when it was the other way around.

No, it will never top the NFL, but as the demographic changes in this country, obviously tastes in sports do as well; MLS definitely has the metrics to prove its growing popularity, let alone the larger Euro leagues in the US. Hell, you now see soccer scores on the scrolling ticker when watching major network gridiron - where was that 4-5 years ago? (On the other hand it sucks to be reminded of the latest QPR loss every few minutes while watching American football)

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Personally I enjoy playing indoor soccer as it is all action, I hate it as a spectator sport as it just isn't the same as soccer, very different tactically and skillwise.

I'm assuming that the "mindless and without strategy" comment was made tongue in cheek, there is just as much strategy and tactics in soccer as there is in basketball and ice hockey. The only reason there is more in football and baseball is that they stop the game every 30 seconds to setup the next play, thus 3 hour games for what amounts to 20 minutes of actual action.

Totally agree that flopping is probably the single biggest bane in the sport and leaves the sport wide open to criticism. No idea why the governing body hasn't got to grips with this yet, but too many important nations are very good at it and their voting blocs probably impede that. Soccer is a hideously political sport, probably more so than any other sport in the world (other than the Olympics), its probably the second biggest issue in the sport, followed by sports betting corruption.

PeterG
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
On the other hand it sucks to be reminded of the latest QPR loss every few minutes while watching American football)

Actually we drew at the weekend AGAIN!!!! Lets hope Redknapp does a better job than that waste of space Mark Hughes. Shockingly as long ago as 4 weeks ago, QPR was the only team through all 4 divisions and the conference not to have won a match!

Lifelong QPR fan here!

PeterG
12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I like indoor soccer better because there's no out of bounds stoppage every 30 seconds.

Compared to what? Not American football or baseball I hope. Did you know the average length of continuous play in American football is 7 seconds!!!

TheNefariousHED
12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Actually we drew at the weekend AGAIN!!!! Lets hope Redknapp does a better job than that waste of space Mark Hughes.

Yes, I watched the match. Heartbreaking post-hitter by SWP. Sometimes I think Sparky wanted to play a 1-7-2 considering his signings since January. QPR desperately need strikers and center-halves. I still think we'll stay up - too much talent not to.

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
In the US, it's all about the big three - MLB, NFL, NBA. Period.

And that's really the reason why. Even in this city I live in, that has a large South American immigrant community, NFL football is still king. I do see more soccer games on TV at sports bars than ever before though. It's just very difficult to watch, especially since I never see any MLS games broadcast down here. It's a hard game to sit through. It's a great sport, but it's not a good spectator sport, and it can't compete with the BIG THREE major league sports (or the big division college teams).

I haven't really followed the whole David Beckham thing. I wouldn't say he "failed" I think the MLS just can't compete for viewership in the US. That's all. Mr.Beckham's set for life. He'll go back to play in Europe and he'll be a rock-star there. In the US no one cares. And the diehard fans of soccer down here aren't rooting for MLS teams, they're still rooting for their Colombian, Brazilian, and Venezuelan teams.

PeterG
12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Sometimes I think Sparky wanted to play a 1-7-2 considering his signings since January.

The sign of a mediocre manager (and dare I say player). Doesn't know what makes a good forward. Too frightened to make an expensive mistake.

meimjustalawnmower
12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hKL2qw4vA

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Compared to what? Not American football or baseball I hope. Did you know the average length of continuous play in American football is 7 seconds!!!

I don't want to get into a tit-for-tat regarding what's better or worse with football/futbol because it won't matter to me. I know plenty of people who like neither soccer nor football. It prolly has a lot to do with environment, culture, etc, which is fine with me if cultural differences make one popular over another. I'll never feel the need to develop an appreciation for music I don't like, art I don't like or sports I don't like.

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Anyone here like Australian Rules Football?

Gruno
12-03-2012, 05:23 PM

I like(d) it. I used to watch it a lot on the mid-late '80s. Haven't watched much since then.

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM

I like(d) it. I used to watch it a lot on the mid-late '80s. Haven't watched much since then.

Same here, bizarre game but looks fun, don't think I'd like to play it, too big a chance of an Aussie size 12 in my ear-hole.

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Do I like Aussie Rules football?

Not really. I'd watch it over soccer, but not the NFL or NBA or MLB.

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I used to watch Aussie Football League back in the early '00s, when I worked nights and ESPN retelecast the games from a few days before. I followed a couple of entire seasons before ESPN yanked it. I liked the way a game could turn on a dime and a team that was down could storm back. Just not likely in soccer.

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I liked the way a game could turn on a dime and a team that was down could storm back. Just not likely in soccer.Oh brother.

I love the way all these people who hate soccer and never watch it are such experts on what it is and isn't. :roll

If you want soccer fans to stop preaching about how everyone should love soccer can you please stop telling us what soccer is?

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh brother.

If you want soccer fans to stop preaching about how everyone should love soccer can you please stop telling us what soccer is?

no

;)

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Oh brother.

..... can you please stop telling us what soccer is?

No! It's terminal. It's impossible to watch. Every game is a marathon. A fucking epic. And the final score is one to nuttin.' :lol

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
No! It's terminal. It's impossible to watch. Every game is a marathon. A fucking epic. And the final score is one to nuttin.' :lolIt's 2 hours long with the ball in play for around 60 minutes of the 2 hours. Football & Baseball take 3 hours with the ball in play for less than 20 minutes of the game. Explain to me which one is the marathon epic? :lol

We'll have to agree to differ.

The Silent Man
12-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes, I watched the match. Heartbreaking post-hitter by SWP. .

If Redknapp can get Wright-Phillips playing with something approaching the confidence and flair that he used to have, and has lost during his time at QPR, he can be the key to them staying up. His surging runs from midfield into the box can bring double figures of goals still this season if he regains his mojo.

Chain
12-03-2012, 08:22 PM

I have been known to watch it :)

Adrian
12-04-2012, 01:52 AM

Love it, when I can actually see it here in the States. Gaelic football is fun to watch, too.

But I LOVE rugby union. I really wish it would take off here, but I doubt that it ever will.

Soccer, I can take it or leave it.

gregory
12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
:D What a patriotic view!

wideopenears
12-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Where did I say anything about "White guys?" :doh

I'm the guy who brought in "White guys." Traditionally, in the USA, soccer fans have been largely Hispanic/Latino, though some British/Irish folks follow it. Kids may play soccer in our schools, but by the time they're adult sports fans, they don't follow it. In fact, you couldn't watch it on TV until the last decade or so, unless you had special channels or pay-per-view. In my experience, more "White Guys" follow it with interest, here in the USA, than they did a decade ago, for sure.

PeterG
12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
It's nothing against soccer, so much as we already have three sports that we can claim as our own

Presumably you mean the ONLY 3 sports invented in America:
1. Lacrosse
2. Basketball & Netball (Naismith)
3. Volleyball (from same college that Naismith was working at)

Because you can't possibly mean these 3 British sports
1. American football - which is a development of Rugby
2. Baseball - an adult development of the ancient English children's game rounders
3. Ice hockey - also an English invention.

;)

Progmatic
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Presumably you mean the ONLY 3 sports invented in America:
1. Lacrosse
2. Basketball & Netball (Naismith)
3. Volleyball (from same college that Naismith was working at)

Because you can't possibly mean these 3 British sports
1. American football - which is a development of Rugby
2. Baseball - an adult development of the ancient English children's game rounders
3. Ice hockey - also an English invention.

;)

now you have done it...you offended not only American but also Canadian ego...damn you :lol

PeterG
12-06-2012, 04:37 PM
now you have done it...you offended not only American but also Canadian ego...damn you :lol

he...he.... :)

Have you still not learned that when we Europeans say America we mean the land mass not the USA, which we regularly call the US. ;)

That said, Lacrosse even predates Canada doesn't it? Invented by American Indians I believe, but why the French name?

JKL2000
02-16-2013, 07:57 PM
bump

progeezer
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
If Redknapp can get Wright-Phillips playing with something approaching the confidence and flair that he used to have, and has lost during his time at QPR, he can be the key to them staying up. His surging runs from midfield into the box can bring double figures of goals still this season if he regains his mojo.They have mojo in GB???;)

NogbadTheBad
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
They have mojo in GB???;)Of course, we invented mojo.

Garion81
02-16-2013, 09:59 PM
First of Peter the official name of this country is The United States of America which makes it perfectly okay to refer to ourselves as Americans or others refer to America and mean the US without being arrogant and pretentious. I have seen those arguments on other boards to not call the USA America. I am not saying that is what you meant.

As for Soccer I live in the greater LA area where Beckham played and the pro game here with David and Landon Donavan with three 3 first place finishes, 3 trips to the finals and 2 championships the team draws about as well as our State high School football championships (played in the same stadium) or average the same per game average as the Hockey Team LA Kings. Actually the Galaxy had a higher average in 2008 than they did through this run. Realize though the Kings play far more games than the Galaxy and you cannot mistake LA as place where the game of hockey thrives. Also realize we have an almost 45% Latino community here who are Soccer fans and the Galaxy or the Chivas USA don't draw more than 20-25 thousand. They are far more interested in supporting the Mexican teams. The Galaxy began by playing at the Rose Bowl but only putting 20,000 in a 90,000 seat stadium made it look bad. They now play at the Home Depot Center in Carson Ca which seats 27,000. The Galaxy don't make the local news until they hit the semi finals.

I am not talking about the strategy of the game itself when I say it will not catch on much more than it is now. It will never reach the level of the NFL, MLB and the NBA. People have been correct saying that while kids play, most of them turn to other sports to watch. Soccer will remain a nitch sport as it is now along the lines of hockey. Me personally, I find the game pretty monotonous and I would much rather watch a hockey or basketball game for a similar game. Basketball because of more scoring and hockey for better physical action.

As for baseball, maybe loosely was based in rounders, the game was perfected by Civil War soldiers in the 1860's to pass the time in war time military camp the two games and outside of hitting a ball with stick have very little in common. Abner Doubleday who is credited with its invention happened to be a general in command of corps during the war.

Scott Bails
02-16-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not one who generally believes in American Exceptionalism™, but our rejection of soccer as a legitimate sport gives me hope. ;)

Garion81
02-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Scott it does as well as Hockey although some of that is Hockey keeps shooting it self in the foot but for those who hope for more my LA example above should curb that enthusiasm quite a bit. It should be way more popular here based on the logistics and circumstances and it is instead just very low tier. If it isn't going to sell here it surely won't in middle America.

Jerjo
02-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I have friends and acquaintances who are baseball fans, and give me no grief when say I don't follow the sport. Same with hockey. They don't care if I like their sport or not. But soccer fans are as bad as Jehovah's Witnesses when it come the sport. They're just so sure you're mistaken, or that you haven't given it the proper attention or that you have some sort of anti-soccer agenda. I wouldn't be remiss if soccer gained in popularity in the US, but I don't place any importance on whether it does or not. I don't believe that im obligated to like it nor do I buy into the ethos that liking soccer says jack squat about a person's level of sophistication.

Indeed a thousand times over. I know a few American soccer fans and they've all got that ridiculous notion of evangelizing their sport and are impressed beyond reasoning that they prefer the sport the rest of the world does over any silly US/Canadian sports. Fuck that. They're almost as self-righteous as vegans and born agains.

I wouldn't say that it's the overwhelming favorite of the Hispanic population either. Baseball is ridiculously popular in the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, and northern South America. I saw a new study a few years ago that showed that the youngest Hispanic generation was disappointing their parents/grandparents by jumping over to the NFL.

Garion81
02-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Jerjo When the Mexican national team played The USA national team at the Rose Bowl a couple of years ago it was sold out (about 95,000) and overwhelmingly covered with Mexican flags. The USA fans were the clear minority. They are soccer fans but don't support the local MLS teams that much.

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Scott it does as well as Hockey

Depends on where you're talking about. Here in the Northeast U.S., and in places like Michigan, hockey smokes soccer.

For good reason. ;)

Garion81
02-17-2013, 12:46 AM
I am using wikipedia for attendance numbers. Most hockey arenas are under 20,000. Most of the new soccer only stadiums are in the 25000 range. NHL Hockey as I already stated keeps shooting itself in the foot with labor problems and bad TV decisions. NHL has been around a lot longer but MLS is already drawing around the same per game average. NHL has 30 teams and the MLS 19. To your point the NHL is heavily concentrated in the northeast with 9 franchises while the MLS only has 5. If you add DC western Penn and Michigan it changes to NHL 13 to 7 so I think your statement has merit but I was speaking nationally. I just don't see Soccer or Hockey growing anymore than they already are.

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Hockey won't grow because its leadership is short-sighted and idiotic.

Soccer won't grow because it sucks. ;)

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 08:28 PM
You guys seems to spend an awful lot of time and energy telling us how much you hate soccer. I'm just sitting here enjoying a game, watch or don't, doesn't bother me.

Klonk
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-H2wXK4T4

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Fantastic!! Love it!! I particularly love the one where the guy grabs the other players hand and punches himself with it.

progeezer
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
:rofl Those guys are much worse than either NFL fake injuries to stop the clock and NBA "flopping", which they finally made a foul & change of possession this year.

Are (World) Football officials so blind that these guys think they can't see that they're acting? (That's a real question, btw).

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 09:33 PM
What you have to remember is that the action is fast and there are typically only two officials (and often only one) with a view of the play. The referee is trying to watch the ball and at least two players simultaneously often with an obstructed view.

The players are typically very good at faking these and the upside, a penalty, a free kick in an attacking position, and a booking or red card for the opponent, outweigh the risk, typically a yellow card for the diver.

It is so prevalent across Europe & South America that it's got to the point where it is expected. The referee's are really in a no win situation.

If they really want to stop it they'll use post game video evidence (like the above) to ban a player for multiple games with loss of wages. Make it 6 games, make it 10, make it as many as needed to stop it.

I fucking hate it.

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Would it be so hard to add some officials?

This flopping thing is obviously the scourge of the sport - the fact that they don't deal with it is a disgrace.

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Would it be so hard to add some officials?

This flopping thing is obviously the scourge of the sport - the fact that they don't deal with it is a disgrace.I agree, that's FIFA for you. They are too wrapped up in tradition and having one lead official. They recently added two officials next to the goal line in Champions League games to check for when the ball crosses the line. They are also meant to help with in the box decisions but we haven't really seen it used.

Personally I'd like to see the two extra officials given the ability to advise the referee more, I'd like the use of goal-line technology and I'd like a fourth official watching the video feed to 'advise'. The trouble with that is you'd have to make sure it didn't slow the game down. Personally I'm in favor of post game video to heavily fine & suspend players.

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
The trouble with that is you'd have to make sure it didn't slow the game down.

Any slower and everyone would be standing still. ;)

progeezer
02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I prefer American football by the most wide margin imaginable to (World) football, but American football moves waaaaaaaaay more slowly than (World) football.

Garion81
02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
You guys seems to spend an awful lot of time and energy telling us how much you hate soccer. I'm just sitting here enjoying a game, watch or don't, doesn't bother me.

Don't mistake indifference or not caring for hate. That would involve passion or emotion and towards Soccer I have none. ;-) I was merely pointing out that Soccer will never be anything more than a nitch sport in the USA at least through the next generation.

Garion81
02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
I prefer American football by the most wide margin imaginable to (World) football, but American football moves waaaaaaaaay more slowly than (World) football.

Different kinds of games in my mind. Soccer is more like basketball and hockey both to my mind have far more payoff and action than soccer.

Scott Bails

I know what you're saying, with the constant stoppages, but if you stepped away from an American football game for 15 minutes, you could miss at least two scores. Watch a soccer game and you might not even get that for the whole game.

NogbadTheBad
Any slower and everyone would be standing still. ;)As oppose to the NFL where a game last three hours, the ball is in play for about 10 minutes, and only half the players are involved at any time. The NFL is pretty much the slowest game in town, all anyone does is stand around 95% of the time. And I love the NFL. ;)

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, Ian - I'm not trying to convince you. I know that's pointless. If you love the game, that's great. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the sports I like.

But I stand by my statement where this is one where Americans are right and the world is wrong. ;)

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
As oppose to the NFL where a game last three hours, the ball is in play for about 10 minutes, and only half the players are involved at any time. The NFL is pretty much the slowest game in town, all anyone does is stand around 95% of the time. And I love the NFL. ;)

And yet there's more action in one game than the entire World Cup.

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
I know what you're saying, with the constant stoppages, but if you stepped away from an American football game for 15 minutes, you could miss at least two scores. Watch a soccer game and you might not even get that for the whole game.That's the beauty of the game :D

I once drove two hours to go see the USA National Team play Trinidad & Tobago in a World Cup Qualifier. The traffic was terrible and we only got into the ground 5 minutes after kick-off. The USA scored the only goal of the game in the third minute. :O We still had a great time. :D

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
And yet there's more action in one game than the entire World Cup.
I'll pretty much watch ever minute of the World Cup and love it. :D We're never going to convince each other :D

NogbadTheBad
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
But I stand by my statement where this is one where Americans are right and the world is wrong. ;)Another example of American exceptionalism ;)

Scott Bails
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Nope! :lol

jake
02-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I know what you're saying, with the constant stoppages, but if you stepped away from an American football game for 15 minutes, you could miss at least two scores. Watch a soccer game and you might not even get that for the whole game.

I thought the whole point of American Football was you had to guess which player actually moved after each of the 125 commercial breaks. ;)

Vic2012
02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I think you really have to grow up with soccer for it to get into your blood. I don't mean playing soccer as a kid, I mean soccer being part of the culture you grow up around. I have some friends (Colombians, Mexicans) who really love soccer, and they root for their teams. Now, the other sport they really love about as much as soccer is baseball. Baseball is like a religion to them (as well as soccer). For whatever reason baseball never got into my blood but I'll watch it if I'm at a sportsbar. Now, one sport that's kinda fun to watch is Aussie Rules Football. I think that's what I was watching the other day. It might've been some flavor of Rubgy, or who knows. Now, these guys were not wearing any padding or headgear, but they weren't slamming into each other head on either. I really don't understand the rules of Aussie Rules, the scoring, changing posessions, etc. But I'm sure that non-Americans are just as confused about American Football too.

Jefferson James
02-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I typed out a big response to this thread using only my feet; my little toe inadvertently hit the "delete" key and all was lost. For this reason, I hate soccer. ;)