PDA

View Full Version : A different perspective on your mixes...

kayfabe58
05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Has anybody listened to your songs with the headphones reversed? I do this after the final mix...it gives many new perspectives on placement and instrument levels. It's funny how different things can sound just by switching the side you initially chose for that instrument.

Mikhael
05-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Has anybody listened to your songs with the headphones reversed? I do this after the final mix...it gives many new perspectives on placement and instrument levels. It's funny how different things can sound just by switching the side you initially chose for that instrument.

Well, if you're anything like me, you'll discover that each ear hears things differently. For instance, my pitch recognition comes primarily from my left ear, as odd as that sounds. Singing (using monitors or headphones to hear through is very different using just one ear. So switching ears, and having it make a difference, makes perfect sense to me.

progmatist
05-19-2014, 01:43 PM
As useful as reversing channels is, I find it equally useful to double check my mixes in mono. If the levels are as balanced in mono as they are in stereo, the mix is pretty good. Most recording programs make it easy to export or bounce a mix in mono instead of stereo.

Mikhael
05-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Mono is ALWAYS a good check. It also lets you know of any phase anomolies you might not be aware of, and whether that stereo chorus that sounded so lush still sounds that way in mono...