PDA

View Full Version : Strawbs

Musitron
12-01-2012, 10:50 AM
I think we can separate Strawbs in 4 eras. Early Strawbs – Strawbs 72-75 – Strawbs 76-77 – and recent Strawbs.
I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75. Four albums. Heroes and Heroin and Ghost with John Hawken on Keyboard are my two favourites. I know they are still recording but I don’t know their late stuff.

That movie isn’t bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9BHsyW7-U&feature=player_detailpage

Brian Griffin
12-01-2012, 11:55 AM
One of my favorite bands, different phases, but songs that "work" in all of them

Lambert is really under rated IMO, a great player

BG

Trane
12-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I think we can separate Strawbs in 4 eras. Early Strawbs – Strawbs 72-75 – Strawbs 76-77 – and recent Strawbs.
I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75. Four albums. Heroes and Heroin and Ghost with John Hawken on Keyboard are my two favourites. I know they are still recording but I don’t know their late stuff.

I'd do another distinction in Strawbs' hisory, because their very early life (with Sandy and Claire Deniz) is fairly different from the Hooper-Wakeman-Hudson-Ford days as well

mogrooves
12-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I’m a big fan of Strawbs 72-75.

A great run of albums.
I caught them on a bill with a KC in '73 and then again a couple of years ago with VdGG......

Jymbot
12-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I would like to hear a review of "Of A Time".

kayfabe58
12-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Great band...Love the Hooper, Hudson, Ford era...Witchwood and Grave New World are great , Bursting has a tremendous side 1, but imo stumbles half way into side 2

Chuck AzEee!
12-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I like Dave Cousins in spurts, but I think the band overall is excellent. Cryptic nearly folk like storytelling.

Harbottle
12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
There's also the early bluegrass period, the brief period with Sandy Denny.

yogibear
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
yeah "hero and heroine" is imo their best. seems to hold together better than the others; "ghosts" sounds similar to it .

meimjustalawnmower
12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I like 'em. They're pretty good.

Jimmy Giant
12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I've seen their Acoustic shows probably about 8 times over the last 10 years or so. Never get tired of it. The last 2 shows were the best ever and their harmonies spectacular. Check them out any time you can, while you still can.

ItalProgRules
12-03-2012, 08:12 AM
From the Witchwood is my favorite, then H & H and Bursting at the Seams, then Ghosts.

But there's much to love in all their phases, IMHO.

Trane
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty much a Wakeman/Weaver/Hudson/Ford era man myself... Curios & antiques, Witchwood and GNW...

Then disaster struck with the aptly-titled BATS... something went horribly wrong in the quest or conquest for America... While H&H and Ghosts are not nearly as bad, they were never the same (only Cousins was left in H&H >> the rest had all gone)

Jymbot
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
BATS? What is this?

"Hummingbird" with Wakiepoos is DEAD BORING.

yogibear
12-03-2012, 09:32 AM
bats - bursting at the seams?

Trane
12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
bats - bursting at the seams?

Yup

ItalProgRules
12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
It's not "aptly titled" "BATS," since that is not the title. Trane is just bringing teh funnie.

Aside from the auto-skip-it "Part of the Union" and the harmless throwaway "Thank You," it's a pretty damn solid album in my book. Not getting the hate for this album. Great stuff like "Lady Fuscia," "The Winter & The Summer," Tears & Pavane," etc. etc.

Trane
12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
It's not "aptly titled" "BATS," since that is not the title. Trane is just bringing teh funnie.

Aside from the auto-skip-it "Part of the Union" and the harmless throwaway "Thank You," it's a pretty damn solid album in my book. Not getting the hate for this album. Great stuff like "Lady Fuscia," "The Winter & The Summer," Tears & Pavane," etc. etc.

That's not the album's title??:O Geeeeezzz I'd have not guessed it :bad
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/strawbs/bursting_at_the_seams/

aside from the auto skip Lay Down (and a few others), the only slightly worthy track on that album is Tears/Pavane... IMHO, anyway ;)

Even Winter/Summer and Down ByThe Sea are fillers in my book, when compard to the stuff that was on Witchwood.

Brian Griffin
12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
it's a pretty damn solid album in my book. Not getting the hate for this album. Great stuff like "Lady Fuscia," "The Winter & The Summer," Tears & Pavane," etc. etc.

This

Great album in my book

BG

Lino
12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Ya, Love em! Listened to them a lot more in the past then I do now, But i never hesitate to catch them live, wether in trio or electric format. One of the singular best performances I ever saw from a band was my first Strawbs show in the very early 80's. Dave Cousins was a young man pocessed, brilliant and extremely powerfull performance at the legendary El Mocambo club in Toronto. Hero & Heroine is probably still my fave, but they all good in that era.

Chuck AzEee!
12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Ya, Love em! Listened to them a lot more in the past then I do now, But i never hesitate to catch them live, wether in trio or electric format. One of the singular best performances I ever saw from a band was my first Strawbs show in the very early 80's. Dave Cousins was a young man pocessed, brilliant and extremely powerfull performance at the legendary El Mocambo club in Toronto. Hero & Heroine is probably still my fave, but they all good in that era.I read a quote from a critic that said that David Cousins was a poet born in the wrong century.

mogrooves
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Agreed. All of their albums include an auto-skip or two; this one's no different. What's good is really good.....

Jymbot
12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
What is the auto-skip in "Witchwood"?

kenneth8446
12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
The auto-skip refers to the song Part of the Union which is uncharacteristically bad which no self-respecting Strawbs fan can tollerate. Hence the auto-skip reference because we never want to hear it again.

kenneth8446
12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I take that back. I just checked and Part of the Union isn't on From The Witchwood. Part of the Union is on Bursting at the Seams. I don't know what that reference is to.

Jerjo
12-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I see absolutely nothing wrong with Lay Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIMSo2eLLP0

mogrooves
12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
What is the auto-skip in "Witchwood"?

"Ill Carry On Beside You", for one....

Bogdan
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I picked up recently the Broken Hearted Bride (2008) and I was surprised how good this album is. Very much like the old days!

Don Arnold
12-04-2012, 01:09 AM
I was at a client's staff xmas dinner Saturday night, and a husband of one of the workers, and of whom I have chatted about music at previous staff dinners, says to me, "I guess you went to see the Strawbs when they playing her last month?". What? They were here? In Victoria? NO prog band ever makes it to our little island. Man, was I bummed!! In my own backyard and I didn't even know about it. I would have sooooo been there! Been to two Prog related live shows in my 50 years and missed an easy third!

I checked their website, and they played here Oct 24 on a Canadian acoustic tour. Any fellow Canucks see them and care to tell me what I missed?

Harbottle
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I like 'Part of the Union'.

gregory
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
The auto-skip refers to the song Part of the Union which is uncharacteristically bad
Agreed, this song is horrible. I don't like Lay Down also, intrusive and dumb tune.

meimjustalawnmower
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Me too. Does this mean that I am no longer a self-respecting Strawbs fan?

Jerjo
12-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Bursting, Hero, and Grave for me. I found a vinyl copy of Grave several months ago in a record store and I was ecstatic. The former owner had barely played it. :up

prglvr
12-04-2012, 08:27 PM
My favorite Strawbs song...Simple Visions from Deep Cuts. Love that strummed acoustic guitar and the emotional, heartfelt way Dave sings those lyrics!

bRETT
12-04-2012, 11:00 PM
The auto-skip refers to the song Part of the Union which is uncharacteristically bad which no self-respecting Strawbs fan can tollerate.

Nothing wrong with it...Just doesnt sound like a Cousins tune because it ain't one. Though Cousins did a pretty good sequel with "Back in the Old Routine".

Harbottle
12-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Me too. Does this mean that I am no longer a self-respecting Strawbs fan?

It does.

It also means we're going to be run out of this thread at gunpoint for the crime of liking this song... I like Lay Down as well. My crime is doubled!

Trane
12-05-2012, 05:42 AM
It does.

It also means we're going to be run out of this thread at gunpoint for the crime of liking this song... I like Lay Down as well. My crime is doubled!

Actually I disliked both songs (and find them sonically close)... along with too many fillers (IMHO, of course), that's my main gripe to why BATS is not quite as good as the albums that surrounds it... It doesn't help that the group was imploding at the time (Hooper gone, Hudson & Ford on the way out)... and that I never really warmed to Lambert's presence in the band

Seems odd enough that some UK band would try (and succeeed somewhat) to conquer the US with a song bearing that kind of title, though... Trade unions had a fairly bad name in the US, and were well on the way to block UK's political situation by that time...

Harbottle
12-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Lay Down and Part of the Union are sonically close?

The song can actually be taken as a criticism of unions... I don't think they tried to conquer the USA with that song...

Lopez
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
I picked up recently the Broken Hearted Bride (2008) and I was surprised how good this album is. Very much like the old days!

I agree. I've played this album many times. Just love it. While I do find the occasional Strawbs cut poor, generally I love everything they do and everything they and Dave put out are auto-buys for me. Saw them for the first time in Philly in 1974, and they were killer. Have seen them electric and acoustic many times since. Just about my favorite band ever. And I like Part of the Union primarily because it is an unusual Strawbs number (it's based on and is a satire of an old union rouser Maid of the Union).

bRETT
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree. I've played this album many times. Just love it.

All three latter day electric Strawbs albums (Deja Fou, Broken Hearted Bride, Dancing to the Devil's Beat) sound pretty strong to me-- With Asia and VDG, it's one of the strongest three-album runs there's been by a reunited pog band. There are terrific songs on all three, but BHB has the advantage of being the most electrric and sounding the most like the Hero/Ghosts era.

chalkpie
12-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Been spinning "Grave New World" in my car, and every time it finishes, I just let it start over and play again. It's just one of those albums, you know. Love this album in the cold weather, preferably under an overcast sky. I truly have to give this record a 10/10 just based on the amazing feeling I get when I'm hearing it.

Dok
12-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Been spinning "Grave New World" in my car, and every time it finishes, I just let it start over and play again. It's just one of those albums, you know. Love this album in the cold weather, preferably under an overcast sky. I truly have to give this record a 10/10 just based on the amazing feeling I get when I'm hearing it.

A big thumbs up :up to that!

I've got DC's autobiography sitting on the table waiting to be opened. Anyone else read it yet? How about Prognostic? Anyone spun it and care to comment?

Digital_Man
12-14-2014, 11:06 PM

Me too. I like it when bands throw a monkey wrench in once in a while to keep their fans on their toes. I call it the element of surprise. The same could be said about "thank you." To suggest someone isn't a true fan just because they don't like an atypical song by a band is just plain absurd. If anything it's just the opposite. If you do like those songs then you must be a real fan. ;)

Scrotum Scissor
12-15-2014, 07:18 AM
I like everything up 'till and counting Ghosts. I haven't heard their latest couple of albums, but they keep telling me that these are solid.

Man In The Mountain
12-15-2014, 10:00 AM
I like most their periods very much. I'm a huge fan.

My favorites would be Witchwood, Grave New World, H&H and Ghosts.

I think Busting At The Seams oddly fell flat, though has a few great tunes on it. I have no problem with Part Of The Union.

I also like some of the later 70's stuff, Nomadness in particular has a lot of very strong shorter tracks. The other albums to follow are more spotty.

Heartbreak Hill was a return to form, in my book (the unreleased late 70's album, until recently). Though I know others have a problem with it because it lacks lambert - who only played on one track, and is late 70's synth heavy (lacking in organic organs). But, how one can deny the song writing is more akin to mid 70's prog Strawbs, is beyond me. Those darn synths, probably make people think of Tormato.

The newer stuff is over-rated, I think. Yes, Broken Hearted Bride has a few really strong tracks on it, indeed. Get that one. But, most of the other new albums are forgettable. And I have forgotten them.

Staun
12-15-2014, 10:49 AM
If I admitted that I like a song or two from Deadlines, is someone going to roll down the window and throw me out of the car?

Musitron
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Broken Hearted Bride and Deja Fou has a few good tracks on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUOfp1dh2y0

the winter tree
12-15-2014, 02:48 PM
I really like DEADLINES especially side2.

trurl
12-15-2014, 02:54 PM
What I've heard of heartbreak Hill is surprisingly good.

emperorken
12-16-2014, 01:07 AM
There are occasional great tracks on their earlier albums, such as "Heavy Disguise" and "New World". Bursting at the Seams has only 2 great tracks IMO, "Down By the Sea" and "Tears and Pavan". Hero and Heroine is their most consistently great album, while Ghosts is kinda hit and miss, with "The Life Auction" the definite highlight. After Ghosts, I'm pretty much unfamiliar.

Digital_Man
12-16-2014, 01:32 AM
These days I like my strawbs with peanut butter and whole grain bread(toasted if possible).:)

Seriously though for anyone who doesn't know they were originally called the Strawberry Hill boys but then shortened it to just Strawbs at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzt5fydrN9A

Jack in Wilmington
12-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Pulled Grave New World out after reading your post, as it inspired me. Did a headphone session last night and you're right, it is a great album. It sort of takes you away to a different plane where the music is surreal. It's hard to explain.

grego
12-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Great band, one of my favorites. I was very pleased to see them live as acoustic trio.

chalkpie
12-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Doing a bit of a Strawbs binge this week - truly a phenomenal band. I should own more than I do, and I know there are some gems I'm missing.

What are everybody's favorite Strawbs/Cousins albums besides the usual classics (Grave, Witchwood, Hero, Ghosts, Bursting, etc). Cheers.

yesstiles
12-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Pulled Grave New World out after reading your post, as it inspired me. Did a headphone session last night and you're right, it is a great album. It sort of takes you away to a different plane where the music is surreal. It's hard to explain.

Has their best song imo "Queen of Dreams."

chalkpie
12-17-2016, 06:19 AM
I went ahead and grabbed some albums I have been missing from my Strawbs stash:

Dragonfly
Of Antiques and Curios
Ghosts
Two Weeks Last Summer

I looked through my discs and I hope I already didn't have any of these ;) All used from Clamazon for about $3-4 each (plus shipping). Dave Cousins is a true talent, so I'm in.

JJ88
12-17-2016, 06:45 AM
^Don't know if you have the debut but I've always rated it highly. 'The Man Who Called Himself Jesus', 'Pieces Of 79 and 15', 'Tell Me What You See', 'The Battle'...some of their best songs. I think an earlier version of the album was shelved or something (and has come out since), but in any case, what came out was a very strong statement of intent.

Funnily enough I never got into Dragonfly. I might have changed my mind now as I haven't played it for years, but I found it rather introspective and one-paced compared with the debut. Both of those were not remastered/reissued in the 90s with (most of) their other A&M albums, and I'm not sure why. It took until 2008 or so. There's also the early (demos?) work with Sandy Denny, some songs which both acts went on to record later are there.

My own favourites are that classic 1971-4 period. Grave New World is exceptional, one of the best song-cycle/concept albums etc. I have heard. I don't know anything much after Ghosts. As for the two hits, I like 'Lay Down', don't like 'Part Of The Union', an irritating novelty-like record that unfortunately seems to define them for some in the UK (a la 'All Around My Hat'!).

yesstiles
12-17-2016, 02:41 PM
I think "Grave New World" and "Ghosts" are their best albums. Surprisingly poignant at times.

grego
12-18-2016, 05:16 AM
^ From The Witchwood?

chalkpie
12-22-2016, 06:03 AM
Just got Two Weeks Last summer in the mail. In the car today. Does Ricky lay it down on Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios or what? Still waiting for that one. I do know "Song of a Sad Little Girl", quite a tune, although I wonder is the girl just fine every morning its sunny only? We all know Britain is overcast constantly. Starts off pretty heartbreaking for sure. Has a real 60's-esque outro chorus that I dig!

chalkpie
12-22-2016, 06:20 AM
^Don't know if you have the debut but I've always rated it highly. 'The Man Who Called Himself Jesus', 'Pieces Of 79 and 15', 'Tell Me What You See', 'The Battle'...some of their best songs. I think an earlier version of the album was shelved or something (and has come out since), but in any case, what came out was a very strong statement of intent.

Funnily enough I never got into Dragonfly. I might have changed my mind now as I haven't played it for years, but I found it rather introspective and one-paced compared with the debut. Both of those were not remastered/reissued in the 90s with (most of) their other A&M albums, and I'm not sure why. It took until 2008 or so. There's also the early (demos?) work with Sandy Denny, some songs which both acts went on to record later are there.

My own favourites are that classic 1971-4 period. Grave New World is exceptional, one of the best song-cycle/concept albums etc. I have heard. I don't know anything much after Ghosts. As for the two hits, I like 'Lay Down', don't like 'Part Of The Union', an irritating novelty-like record that unfortunately seems to define them for some in the UK (a la 'All Around My Hat'!).

Cheers - I'll grab the debut soon. I know a few tunes from the Halcyon set (stellar btw). Agreed on 'Grave' one of the best folky/proggish English albums ever.

BTW, where are you in Wales? We went last year - spent about 3 days in Conwy and travelled around Snowdonia and made it down to as far as Beddgelert. Totally insane scenery - imo some of the most gorgeous scenery I've seen in Europe. Loved it. I could easily do a month in Wales alone.

dnieper
12-22-2016, 09:44 AM
I enjoy all their 1960's and 1970's albums, but my favorite Strawbs era is probably 1976-1978 (Deep Cuts, Burning for You, and Deadlines). If you don't mind some radio-friendliness, there are some great songs on those albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLAut0ND6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctj1xW0uSZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFY1jl5y-Q

Lopez
12-22-2016, 10:10 AM
I enjoy all their 1960's and 1970's albums, but my favorite Strawbs era is probably 1976-1978 (Deep Cuts, Burning for You, and Deadlines). If you don't mind some radio-friendliness, there are some great songs on those albums.

That era (1976–1978) is probably my least favorite of the Strawbs; however, those albums have some stellar numbers on them. Even the Dave Lambert cut "Heartbreaker" from Burning for You is one of favorite Strawbs tunes.

mozo-pg
12-22-2016, 10:42 AM
The Stawbs are also an amazing live band!

Enid
12-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Hero and Heroine being my favorite ..... although I had bought everything up to that point,. Hero seemed to represent some sort of change in their sound. At first you'd might be under the impression that they evolved into more "electric"....But no that wasn't quite true as maybe their step ahead sound came from developments on earlier albums like Grave New World and From The Witchwood.... or when they were recording with Rick Wakeman dating back to Dragonfly. ( I believe? These experiences and seasonings cemented a certain way and it's consistency gave them a new identity. Ghosts was another extension of that sound. In another lifetime I met Dave Cousins in a theatre. We had a nice conversation. Of course I was overwhelmed and nervous. I sold myself short . It was a great experience by Dave Cousins doing most of the talking. To me it was like standing with an icon of the 70's prog scene and I overreacted on the inside. We ended up conversing about Sandy Denny and that topic became most enjoyable. I was very young...Too much time has passed.. and I can't recall much. But I do remember him being a really interesting character. I was very impressed with Strawbs approach to the mellotron. Strangely enough, back in the 70's several road musicians would hear a tape of the Strawbs I'd play on the bus and they would respond...."Hey, that sounds like Genesis!" I would say..." What sounds like Genesis?" And they would say...."That guy singing sounds like Gabriel and listen to the keyboards and the chord changes!" I could never quite grasp the entirety of their theory. Maybe it was true or unintentional on the band's behalf. I saw Strawbs in a different light. From the moment you put a Strawbs album on... you knew they were going to take you to another place. A place that Genesis would not take you to. A place that In The Region Of The Summer Stars by The Enid felt distant from. And then it was clear that Strawbs had their own identity.

yesstiles
12-24-2016, 12:29 AM
"Don't Say Goodbye" from one of music's worst years - 1987 - is surprisingly good.

chalkpie
11-06-2017, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDJya8Usmo

Nice mini doc on Strawbs early days. If you know the photo they used in the gatefold of Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios with the band having a pint, you'll see the inside of this pub called The London Apprentice.

jlneudorf
11-06-2017, 02:58 PM
New album coming out December.

Harbottle
11-06-2017, 03:03 PM
New album out! I got it this weekend.

Staun
11-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I went ahead and grabbed some albums I have been missing from my Strawbs stash:

Dragonfly
Of Antiques and Curios
Ghosts
Two Weeks Last Summer

I looked through my discs and I hope I already didn't have any of these ;) All used from Clamazon for about $3-4 each (plus shipping). Dave Cousins is a true talent, so I'm in.Wasn't TWLS listed as a Cousin's solo album?

Staun
11-06-2017, 03:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLAut0ND6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctj1xW0uSZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFY1jl5y-QDeadlines, doesn't seem to get a lot of luv. I really like it a lot.

BarryLI
11-06-2017, 03:39 PM
New album out! I got it this weekend.

I think it's really good, the addition of Dave Bainbridge on both keys and writing credits has given the band a boost.

Harbottle
11-06-2017, 05:26 PM
I think it's really good, the addition of Dave Bainbridge on both keys and writing credits has given the band a boost.

I agree, there seems to be more energy and variety than on the last few albums (Which also sounded quite poor.)

This has a good mix of proggy Strawbs, some excellent Cousins ballads and a quite groovy Dave Lambert song. The title track is one of Cousins' great 'story telling' tracks.

That video posted above was fascinating. My mum was a teenager during the sixties and used to see all the bands in those places. She saw a lot of them before they were famous and talking to quite a few of them!

Progbear
11-06-2017, 11:50 PM

Deep Cuts is the only real keeper here. Not that Burning for You is a dog or anything, but it’s not as strong as DC, that’s for sure. “Burning for Me” and “Barcarole” are for sure first-rate songs, though. I barely remember anything about Deadlines (mind you, I only heard it once, when I borrowed it from a local library).

Lopez
11-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I got the new one, too. Played it yesterday. Like that old advert for Larks Tongues in Aspic, I'll have to play twice before listening.

Lino
11-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Maybe not in the same sentence...but at the very least, Cousins belongs in the same paragraph as the Hammills and Gabriels of the prog world. The first time I saw them back in the day... Cousins gave one of the most powerful, impassioned performances I'd ever seen....still to this day few things stand out more in the concert memory banks.

Fracktured
11-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Wasn't TWLS listed as a Cousin's solo album?

Yes it is and he had Rick Wakeman and Roger Glover on it. I forget who else was on the album. It’s a fantastic disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryLI
11-10-2017, 07:56 AM
https://youtu.be/SAgoI1LYncU

spiderfeathers
11-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Maybe not in the same sentence...but at the very least, Cousins belongs in the same paragraph as the Hammills and Gabriels of the prog world. The first time I saw them back in the day... Cousins gave one of the most powerful, impassioned performances I'd ever seen....still to this day few things stand out more in the concert memory banks.

New album is blowing me away at about 5 listens. Easily their best work since the 70's, and I'd place "When The Spirit Moves" among the top 15 Strawbs songs.
Cousins should start that sentence...best prog related songwriter IMO.

chalkpie
11-11-2017, 10:45 AM
New album is blowing me away at about 5 listens. Easily their best work since the 70's, and I'd place "When The Spirit Moves" among the top 15 Strawbs songs.
Cousins should start that sentence...best prog related songwriter IMO.

Where did you order the CD?

BarryLI
11-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Where did you order the CD?

I pre-ordered from the Strawbs website.

roylayer
11-11-2017, 11:03 AM
They played about 4 or 5 songs from the new album during the 2nd show at Sellersville last night. They were very good for the most part. I was proud to see an older band playing so many of their new songs live. Most of them usually play just a song or two. Bear in mind that very few people in US have even heard these songs at all yet. I bought the new album last night but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Chichen Itza
11-11-2017, 05:58 PM
They played about 4 or 5 songs from the new album during the 2nd show at Sellersville last night. They were very good for the most part. I was proud to see an older band playing so many of their new songs live. Most of them usually play just a song or two. Bear in mind that very few people in US have even heard these songs at all yet. I bought the new album last night but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

That is fantastic news, seeing them shortly and love the new disc

mogrooves
11-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Beacon, NY last night.

In the Beginning/The Nails From the Hands of Christ
Ghosts
So Close and Yet So Far Away
New World
The Promised Land
The Ten Commandments
The River/Down by the Sea
Turn Me Round
The Familiarity of Old Lovers
Autumn
Hero and Heroine
Out in the Cold
Round and Round
Lay a Little Light on Me/Hero's Theme (with "Round and Round" reprise at end)
Lay Down
We Have the Power

Dok
11-11-2017, 11:11 PM
I'm a bit overwhelmed. Strawbs has always had a deep connection for me since the early 70's. I've just listened to Ferryman's at a rather large volume and the distance from that time to now is staring me in the face. I never expected them to have this strong an effort. It's the old mixed with some new continuing. Is Bainbridge a catalyst? I think the production is superb.

Chichen Itza
11-12-2017, 08:38 AM
I'm a bit overwhelmed. Strawbs has always had a deep connection for me since the early 70's. I've just listened to Ferryman's at a rather large volume and the distance from that time to now is staring me in the face. I never expected them to have this strong an effort. It's the old mixed with some new continuing. Is Bainbridge a catalyst? I think the production is superb.

Right there with you

The new PFM is equally excellent IMO

BarryLI
11-12-2017, 10:03 AM
BB Kings tonight, am super psyched, our wedding song: Hold on to me, I've had the chance to say thanks to Dave Lambert a number of times, too.

Burt Telecaster
11-13-2017, 07:40 AM
If I admitted that I like a song or two from Deadlines, is someone going to roll down the window and throw me out of the car?

I think that Deadly Nightshade and Words of Wisdom are among the finest they have done

Fracktured
11-13-2017, 04:39 PM
I love Deadlines myself

the winter tree
11-14-2017, 12:21 AM
^ me also. Side 2 on the vinyl is particularly strong.

StevegSr
11-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Essential: Sandy and the Strawbs, Dragonfly, Witchwood, Grave New World, Hero and Heroine, and Ghosts. All are so ridiculously good that I hardly listen the newer stuff, but Dancing To The Devils' Beat is pretty good, IMO.

I'm still sizing up Ferryman's but my first impressions are favorable.

Lopez
11-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Essential: Sandy and the Strawbs, Dragonfly, Witchwood, Grave New World, Hero and Heroine, and Ghosts. All are so ridiculously good that I hardly listen the newer stuff, but Dancing To The Devils' Beat is pretty good, IMO.

I'm still sizing up Ferryman's but my first impressions are favorable.

I've played it three times so far and am liking it better with each play. As for the more recent stuff, I really like The Broken Hearted Bride.

strawberrybrick
11-14-2017, 01:17 PM
New album is good - damn good! Dave's voice shows his age, but such a golden timbre it still has. Disappointed they didn't travel farther west.

StevegSr
11-14-2017, 02:13 PM
I've played it three times so far and am liking it better with each play. As for the more recent stuff, I really like The Broken Hearted Bride.TBHB is very solid too. Strangely, it's no longer listed for sale on the Strawbs' website. A very mysterious band the Strawbs are.

mogrooves
11-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Essential: Sandy and the Strawbs, Dragonfly, Witchwood, Grave New World, Hero and Heroine, and Ghosts.

...and Bursting At The Seams.

StevegSr
11-16-2017, 06:24 AM
...and Bursting At The Seams.BatS is a great album too, but I think that the first side is bit weak. However, The River/Down By the Sea is one of my all time favorite prog songs and is as good as the multi suite Autumn and Ghosts that followed it.

JJ88
11-16-2017, 07:20 AM
^It's a great album overall but I could personally have lived without 'Part Of The Union' and 'Thank You'. I think the other big hit on this album 'Lay Down' is far better than '...Union'.

For me Grave New World is their masterpiece. Haven't heard anything much past Ghosts though.

I remember struggling with Dragonfly; save the final epic I found it a rather low-voltage record compared with their others. The debut seemed much stronger to me.

Kanukisbrave
11-16-2017, 08:26 AM
I remember struggling with Dragonfly; save the final epic, I found it a rather low-voltage record compared with their others. The debut seemed much stronger to me.

Dragonfly was done on a shoestring budget because the band blew all its recording money on the first album not realizing that the cash advance given was for two albums not one. therefore the second album for the most part was recorded simply. :O

StevegSr
11-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Dragonfly was done on a shoestring budget because the band blew all its recording money on the first album not realizing that the cash advance given was for two albums not one. therefore the second album for the most part was recorded simply. :OYou are 100% right and that's why Dragonfly sounds better than the Strawbs' debut.

mogrooves
11-16-2017, 11:38 AM
...I could personally have lived without 'Part Of The Union' and 'Thank You'. I think the other big hit on this album 'Lay Down' is far better than '...Union'.

+1 . I can even do without "Lay Down." I find "skippable" songs on all of their LPs.

StevegSr
11-16-2017, 01:39 PM
I find "skippable" songs on all of their LPs.Wha...even on Hero and Heroine? :huh

JJ88
11-16-2017, 01:42 PM
'Just Love' is an obvious skip-track for me on that one.

StevegSr
11-16-2017, 01:45 PM
'Just Love' is an obvious skip-track for me on that one.Yeah, I can't do this with a straight face. Just Love is terrible. And it's Lambert's only song on the album! :lol

spiderfeathers
11-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I can't do this with a straight face. Just Love is terrible. And it's Lambert's only song on the album! :lol

I've listened to the new album a dozen or so times and cannot make it all the way through Lambert's "The Ten Commandments". How's the last minute? Does it get progy? Amazing guitarist though...

soundsweird
11-16-2017, 05:37 PM
I agree with Mogrooves: there isn't a Strawbs album that I can listen to all the way through without skipping a track or two. However, the same can be said for most of my favorite artists, prog or otherwise. I have about 3,000 albums, and only a small percentage of those get a complete listen after the first few plays...

moecurlythanu
11-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Wow. I don't think I ever skip tracks on any album. Well, nearly ever.

soundsweird
11-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Might be because I'm 64, and just don't have much time left to listen to every track on every album. Even if I was younger, I have very little free time that I can devote to listening these days.

StevegSr
11-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Might be because I'm 64, and just don't have much time left to listen to every track on every album. Even if I was younger, I have very little free time that I can devote to listening these days.Same here. But I'm 68 and I'm starting to skip songs that are just passable as well as the clunkers! LOL

chalkpie
11-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Dragonfly in the car - what a killer album. I skip nothing! Love the title track and Another Day.

moecurlythanu
11-17-2017, 08:04 AM
My listening approach is so album oriented, that I can't tell you standout tracks on most of the albums I've acquired in the last 20 years or so, nor do I think of albums in terms of individual tracks, normally. I just tend to think of them in their totality.
Not saying it's a better or worse approach, nor is it intentional. It's just how my listening has evolved over time.

Lopez
11-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Same here with skipping a track or two on Strawb albums, and they are my favorite British prog band. It's mostly Lambert numbers (sorry, Dave), but then again his "Heartbreaker" is my favorite cut on Burning for You.

BarryLI
11-17-2017, 10:33 AM
My listening approach is so album oriented, that I can't tell you standout tracks on most of the albums I've acquired in the last 20 years or so, nor do I think of albums in terms of individual tracks, normally. I just tend to think of them in their totality.
Not saying it's a better or worse approach, nor is it intentional. It's just how my listening has evolved over time.

Same here.

Lino
11-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Every time i see the Strawbs, I come away more and more impressed with Lambert's electric guitar playing. He may be the most underrated in the prog world, his name rarely comes up in discussion. Yet he's so tidy and tasteful. Crazy, the thought came to me as I watched him the other night...he has a similar playing style to Huw Lloyd Langton. lol (another seriously underrated player).
I always like his vocals on the old albums, but do have to concede his voice didn't sound great at the show. Though it was the best I heard Cousins sound since I started seeing them live again in the 2000s. He was great, the whole band were. Just a great fuggin show!

Don Arnold
11-17-2017, 12:00 PM

Same here.

I'm in this listening camp as well. Perhaps the penchant for concept albums, or related/linking tracks plays a part in this. There are a few albums I can think of off the top of my head though that I am aware of a particular track and look forward to hearing it.

strawberrybrick
11-17-2017, 12:43 PM

+1

Jimmy Giant
11-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Enjoyed the new tracks at the late Sellersville show. However, between the dipshit soundman and the keyboards crashing, the encore of We Have The Power was a tragic trainwreck. Dave was so flustered by it he literally couldn't even say a word after that and walked off stage bummed out.
I thought Ghosts was pretty exception that night. Tons of energy.

chalkpie
11-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Enjoyed the new tracks at the late Sellersville show. However, between the dipshit soundman and the keyboards crashing, the encore of We Have The Power was a tragic trainwreck. Dave was so flustered by it he literally couldn't even say a word after that and walked off stage bummed out.
I thought Ghosts was pretty exception that night. Tons of energy.

I am considering catching the Beacon, NY show. Never seen Strawbs but LOVE their music. Its a fucking Sunday night which sucks strawberry balls, so I'm undecided. Please help this poor tosser (me) decide.

Dok
06-29-2018, 09:35 PM
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=Strawbs

For those that may be interested 9 Strawbs albums supposedly transferred from the original UK master tapes coming on SHM-CD from Japan on August 22nd.

Top Cat
07-01-2018, 03:43 PM
I think The Ferryman's Curse is their best work in years.
The addition of David Bainbridge on keybs has elevated the Strawbs music as well as restored it to it's original magestic glory in my opinion.
The keys often drive the stronger Strawbs songs and has been lacking in the performances of the older material.
David has brought the keyboard parts back and I feel his interpetation and honoring of the original material is wonderful.

I haven't read the entire thread, so it may have already been discussed but I HIGHLY recommend the Strawbs Live in Gettysberg DVD.. one of my favorites.
I am now officially a David Bainbridge fan(already a huge Cousins&Starwbs fan).:up

progmeister
07-01-2018, 05:03 PM
The addition of David Bainbridge on keybs has elevated the Strawbs music as well as restored it to it's original magestic glory in my opinion.
The keys often drive the stronger Strawbs songs and has been lacking in the performances of the older material.
David has brought the keyboard parts back and I feel his interpetation and honoring of the original material is wonderful.

I haven't read the entire thread, so it may have already been discussed but I HIGHLY recommend the Strawbs Live in Gettysberg DVD.. one of my favorites.

I am now officially a David Bainbridge fan(already a huge Cousins&Starwbs fan).:up

"Ferryman's Curse" made my Top 10 last year along with Lifesigns sophmore album which also was graced by Dave Bainbridge's presence. Bainbridge is one of the most unheralded talents out there. Try finding his solo album from 2015 called "Celestial Fire". Mind blowing!

Top Cat
07-02-2018, 10:37 AM
"Ferryman's Curse" made my Top 10 last year along with Lifesigns sophmore album which also was graced by Dave Bainbridge's presence. Bainbridge is one of the most unheralded talents out there. Try finding his solo album from 2015 called "Celestial Fire". Mind blowing!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to pick up the second Lifesigns album and the Celestial Fire DVD.

TheH
07-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to pick up the second Lifesigns album and the Celestial Fire DVD.

I would strongly recommend Iona's albums Book of Kells to Journey into the Morn
(or any live stuff they did). Best Symphonic Folk Prog out there!

Fracktured
07-03-2018, 11:47 AM

The music on The Ferryman's Curse is great and I love the album, but I'm having a really hard time with the production. Frankly, it's horrible. To me it sounds like a bad mp3 brickwalled to the max.

Top Cat
07-03-2018, 12:52 PM
I would strongly recommend Iona's albums Book of Kells to Journey into the Morn
(or any live stuff they did). Best Symphonic Folk Prog out there!
I listened to a few songs on YT and the overall sound is beautiful, but a little too soft for a whole album for me. Thanks for the suggestion tho. :)

The music on The Ferryman's Curse is great and I love the album, but I'm having a really hard time with the production. Frankly, it's horrible. To me it sounds like a bad mp3 brickwalled to the max.

I haven't noticed any negatives with the production. I listen to it using a Realistic STA-2000 receiver, Onkyo 7070 cd player and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers.
The mix does sound clean to me but not harsh or brittle, the bass is clean and tight(Nails from the hands of Christ), vocals great, good separation, etc

I do have some fairly recent cd purchases that fit the production description you mention tho.

Fracktured
07-03-2018, 04:52 PM
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=Strawbs

For those that may be interested 9 Strawbs albums supposedly transferred from the original UK master tapes coming on SHM-CD from Japan on August 22nd.

I’ve heard good things about SHM CDs. But I’ve also heard that some aren’t worth the extra money. I’ve never bought any so I can’t give an opinion. I’d love to hear a few of these and hear if they are worth it or not.

TheH
07-03-2018, 05:02 PM
I’ve heard good things about SHM CDs. But I’ve also heard that some aren’t worth the extra money. I’ve never bought any so I can’t give an opinion. I’d love to hear a few of these and hear if they are worth it or not.

You may note that SHM doesn't do anything sound wise to an CD (absolutely nothing) .
They are just more durable that a normal CD (which also has to be proven jet)

progmeister
07-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Funny the first few times through I thought the sonics were a bit dull but it grew on me. Very old school. Indeed it was produced by the late great Chris Tsangrides who passed very recently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tsangarides

rickawakeman
07-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Have no problem with the sound on Ferryman's Curse. Enjoying it.

Fracktured
07-07-2018, 08:18 PM
You may note that SHM doesn't do anything sound wise to an CD (absolutely nothing) .
They are just more durable that a normal CD (which also has to be proven jet)

Thanks for clarifying that.

Garyhead
07-09-2018, 08:49 AM
I pulled the plug this morning and bought the Weekend Pass for the 50th Anniversary celebration next April (4/26 - 4/28) in Lakewood, NJ. 4th row Center! I'm still planning events for 2018 so it was a stretch to commit to an event for 2019 but this looks like a Win! Go to "What's On, What's New" in the Forum for the details / link.

Always felt a bit "cheated" after seeing them at RoSFest in 2016. They came late....Played Only Hero & Heroine then left.....gave the usual "rock & roll" excuses for the short set.....but somehow it was recorded......

Man In The Mountain
07-09-2018, 01:04 PM
I dunno, I hear a lot of love for Ferryman's Curse, but it does nothing for me. The production is very dry and lacks any warmth that graces the finest of the Strawbs catalog. I thought 2008's Broken Hearted Bride was much better.

moecurlythanu
07-09-2018, 02:05 PM
^ I bought it based on a lot of love here, and was disappointed with it. I thought they sounded like a shell of their former selves, and yes, the production was very dry.

chalkpie
07-10-2018, 08:28 AM
I dunno, I hear a lot of love for Ferryman's Curse, but it does nothing for me. The production is very dry and lacks any warmth that graces the finest of the Strawbs catalog. I thought 2008's Broken Hearted Bride was much better.

^ I bought it based on a lot of love here, and was disappointed with it. I thought they sounded like a shell of their former selves, and yes, the production was very dry.

I think its one of those albums that you have to 'take it for what it is', and try to enjoy it even with its shortcomings. Strawbs have always been a very organic-sounding band to me, and even the original Hero and Heroine started to sound a bit freezed-dried to me. That particular album is not a fav of mine, either. FC is certainly nowhere near any of the great early golden-era albums to my ears, but its still pretty nice to hear Dave writing and singing new stuff. "When the Spirit Moves" is a pretty extraordinarily tune regardless of production values or year composed. Dragonfly is a really good album - I was pretty shocked when I finally bought it and heard it in its entirety a few years back.

Fracktured
07-11-2018, 05:57 PM

I wished it would have had more folk elements to it like Hero and Heroine did. That’s what made much of their 70’s output so enjoyable. The new one sounds like they’re trying to be a pure prog band.

raconteur troubadour
07-11-2018, 06:32 PM
in case anybody missed it, Deep Cuts has a killer classic storytelling song, Beside the Rio Grande ..don't know how to put in that direct youtube link, feel free to re-post this with the built in player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNDfioyGq8

Top Cat
07-11-2018, 07:02 PM
in case anybody missed it, Deep Cuts has a killer classic storytelling song, Beside the Rio Grande ..don't know how to put in that direct youtube link, feel free to re-post this with the built in player:
click the insert video icon far right, insert link. :)
yeah, that's a good album, but like Deadlines it's got hits and misses to me.

Fracktured
07-11-2018, 07:24 PM

Simple Visions is one of my all time favorite Strawbs songs and Beside the Rio Grande is a great song.

Fracktured
07-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Anyone know what health issues Cousins is having? Hope he is ok.

everyday
07-12-2018, 04:10 AM
Simple Visions is one of my all time favorite Strawbs songs and Beside the Rio Grande is a great song.

Played it last week - great track.

Guitarplyrjvb
10-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Strawbs are playing tomorrow night in Quebec City and I just happen to be here on a trip with my wife to celebrate our anniversary. Any recommendations regarding this show? It's billed as their farewell tour with the electric band.

roylayer
10-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Strawbs are playing tomorrow night in Quebec City and I just happen to be here on a trip with my wife to celebrate our anniversary. Any recommendations regarding this show? It's billed as their farewell tour with the electric band.

What recommendation do you need other than, GO! They still sound great after all these years. Do you have any specific questions?

Guitarplyrjvb
10-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Nah! Just wondering about how they sound these days. Always been kind of “on the fence” with them.

roylayer
10-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Nah! Just wondering about how they sound these days. Always been kind of “on the fence” with them.

I see. If you like their classic albums from the '70s, you will like the show. They play a LOT of material from Hero and Heroine and albums like that. The current lineup features many "classic" members plus one new member: Dave Cousins, Dave Lambert, Chas Cronk, Tony Fernandez, Dave Bainbridge. Bainbridge really brings some new energy and excitement to the band. He's quite a bit younger than the rest of the band and has been in bands like Iona and Lifesigns. If you like bombastic symphonic prog mixed with some British folk, you should check it out.

Guitarplyrjvb
10-10-2018, 10:46 AM
^^^ Thanks! It seems like a sin not to go. The venue is about 500 ft. from our hotel.

Don Arnold
10-10-2018, 11:48 AM
I've never seen Strawbs live, but if I were you, I'd definitely go! Also seems like a good band for an accompanying spouse, whether they are a fan of Prog or not.

Happy Anniversary!

moecurlythanu
10-10-2018, 12:04 PM
^ That's possibly true, but Dave Cousin's voice tends to be a deal breaker for some...

adap2it
10-10-2018, 12:16 PM
They are playing a short Canadian tour...will be seeing them at Hugh's Room in Toronto this Sunday...

Man In The Mountain
10-10-2018, 12:20 PM
My wife, oddly, loves the Strawbs. I took her to see them 2 years ago, and she's still talking about it. See loves when David Cousins goes, "Round and Round we go! Round and round and round...."

roylayer
10-10-2018, 12:37 PM
...Dave Cousin's voice tends to be a deal breaker for some...

That is true. I don't normally like that type of gravelly, raspy voice myself, but somehow I love Cousins' voice. <shrug> Plenty of instrumental goodness to counterbalance it, not to mention the great melodies.

Lopez
10-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Definitely go. They're not getting any younger.

Guitarplyrjvb
10-10-2018, 02:40 PM
I've never seen Strawbs live, but if I were you, I'd definitely go! Also seems like a good band for an accompanying spouse, whether they are a fan of Prog or not.

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks! We’re going! I played her “When We Were Young” from Ghosts, qualifying it as not being representative of much of their work, and she liked it!

roylayer
10-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Great! I hope that you both like it. They may not play that particular song, but I am sure that they will play one or more slower songs like that. They always do. (Nice break from the bombast. ;) )

Guitarplyrjvb
10-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Well, it was a nice show. They played 3 tunes from a Ferryman's Curse, a couple from Hero and Heroine, and a couple from Ghosts. Can't remember the rest of them since I'm not that familiar with their discography. Dave Bainbridge was the star of the show; he's even a great guitarist! Dave Cousins had a lot of vocal trouble and seems very frail. I wonder if he's ill? He had a couple of cringe-inducing moments and forgot where they were in the setlist at one point.

The venue, the Palais Montcalm, seemed mostly full with at least 1000 in attendance. I was a bit surprised, but Cousins mentioned that they've sold more records in Canada than anywhere else in the world.

roylayer
10-11-2018, 12:55 AM
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Cousins had some sort of operation somewhere around July. Maybe he's not fully recovered?

Man In The Mountain
10-11-2018, 08:51 AM
There has been some insinuation that Cousins may be ill. He's lost a LOT of weight. I hope that's not the case though, and I hate when people think you're ill because you lost a lot of weight. But "frail" is a word I have never heard to describe David Cousins. I'm sorry to hear he was having vocal problems.

Picture from a few months ago.

greeneking
10-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Just working out the kinks I expect....by the time they hit Gravenhurst he was in powerful voice and that continued throughout. He was ill with kidney stones earlier this year & had an operation to remove them, but he's recovered and he looks good.

Guitarplyrjvb
10-18-2018, 08:38 PM
After seeing them, I've delved into their catalog a bit. First, through the Broken Hearted Bride, I think Cousins is a great singer. Yes, his singing is idiosyncratic, but I consider that a good thing. I understand that such a distinctive voice and timbre would turn some people off, but I think it's indispensible for Strawbs music and suits the material. Sadly, I think he's declined since the Broken Hearted Bride. The material on the Ferryman's Curse is great, but Cousins' singing has suffered. There's almost an "old man's whistle" to his singing. Kind of to be expected. In his prime, though, he was a monster vocalist and that prime lasted for decades.

I'd recommend seeing them before it's too late. I'm glad I did!

adap2it
10-19-2018, 09:20 AM
After seeing them, I've delved into their catalog a bit. First, through the Broken Hearted Bride, I think Cousins is a great singer. Yes, his singing is idiosyncratic, but I consider that a good thing. I understand that such a distinctive voice and timbre would turn some people off, but I think it's indispensible for Strawbs music and suits the material. Sadly, I think he's declined since the Broken Hearted Bride. The material on the Ferryman's Curse is great, but Cousins' singing has suffered. There's almost an "old man's whistle" to his singing. Kind of to be expected. In his prime, though, he was a monster vocalist and that prime lasted for decades.

I'd recommend seeing them before it's too late. I'm glad I did!

I saw them last Sunday at Hugh's Room in Toronto...apparently, they have played this venue 35 times. Cousins voice is just OK, I feel that it's getting close to over. It's certainly over for Dave Lambert's voice. Regardless, it was an excellent show with many well deserved standing O's. Dave Bainbridge is a real asset to this line up and a perfect fit.

chalkpie
09-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Outdoor fire, weed, dram of Edradour whisky, and Strawbs Grave New World....oh yeah.

jlneudorf
09-07-2019, 10:59 PM
Frick, that sounds awesome!

Dok
09-07-2019, 11:20 PM
Hey Little Man! I just listened to this in the past week and really enjoyed it as well. What's the word? Classic, oh yeah.

Lopez
09-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Outdoor fire, weed, dram of Edradour whisky, and Strawbs Grave New World....oh yeah.

It doesn't get much better than that. While the weed, whisky, and Strawbs are legal in my neck of Massachusetts, the outdoor fire is not. I miss that from the days of my yout in Rhode Island.

Fracktured
02-01-2020, 08:11 AM
The other day I asked Alexa to shuffle songs by the Strawbs and after a live song Cousins was telling a story about the next song which was about an elderly woman who had died and all her possessions she had accumulated over her live were being auctioned off in her house and then the shuffle started a different song. I can’t think of what song he was talking about. Does anyone have that live recording or know what song it was he was talking about?

Harbottle
02-01-2020, 08:21 AM
The other day I asked Alexa to shuffle songs by the Strawbs and after a live song Cousins was telling a story about the next song which was about an elderly woman who had died and all her possessions she had accumulated over her live were being auctioned off in her house and then the shuffle started a different song. I can’t think of what song he was talking about. Does anyone have that live recording or know what song it was he was talking about?

The Life Auction from 'Ghosts'. (I don't think I have the live recording.)

Scrotum Scissor
02-01-2020, 08:22 AM
Edradour whisky, and Strawbs Grave New World

Good. Great, even.

But try the Balvenie Triple Cask 12 y.o. to John Martyn's Bless the Weather

Fracktured
02-01-2020, 08:31 AM
The Life Auction from 'Ghosts'. (I don't think I have the live recording.)

I thought that myself but those lyrics don’t seem to match the story
Maybe they do.

taliesin
02-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Antique Suite maybe?

What was the song they played before his introduction?

Fracktured
02-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Antique Suite maybe?

What was the song they played before his introduction?

I think it was cold steel but I’m not positive

taliesin
02-01-2020, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Fracktured;954350]I think it was cold steel but I’m not positive]

Well they do Cold Steel then Life Auction right after it on the DVD from the tour in the '00's so I think Harbottle was correct

Harbottle
02-01-2020, 11:27 AM
I thought that myself but those lyrics don’t seem to match the story
Maybe they do.

I'm sure I've read/heart Dave Cousins talking about the inspiration for this song and it involved seeing a woman's possessions being sold after she had died.

Maybe it's in the booklet that came with the CD. (Not that I know where my CD is, as they're all in boxes up in the attic!)

When I've finished listening to Fleetwood Mac's Time (Not a great album) I might listen to Ghosts! Not listened to both for a while and Ghosts has always been my favourite album by the Strawbs.

Fracktured
02-01-2020, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Fracktured;954350]I think it was cold steel but I’m not positive]

Well they do Cold Steel then Life Auction right after it on the DVD from the tour in the '00's so I think Harbottle was correct

Sounds like that must be the song. Gives another meaning to it than what I thought it was about. Sure is interesting though. Thanks

chalkpie
02-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Good. Great, even.

But try the Balvenie Triple Cask 12 y.o. to John Martyn's Bless the Weather

I am not familiar with Bless the Weather...will definitely remedy that. Cheers mate.

JKL2000
02-02-2020, 04:21 PM
The other day I was listening to the APP's "Eye in the Sky," which I haven't heard in ages. When the song "You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned" came on, I could have sworn it was Dave Cousins singing. I checked and it's Lenny Zakatek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIuwKXXNBwY

Dan Roth
02-02-2020, 06:34 PM
The other day I was listening to the APP's "Eye in the Sky," which I haven't heard in ages. When the song "You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned" came on, I could have sworn it was Dave Cousins singing. I checked and it's Lenny Zakatek.

Lenny is one of my favorite singers. He sang over 20 songs over the years for APP including "Games People Play" and "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You". I totally lost track of him though.

mozo-pg
02-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Lenny is one of my favorite singers. He sang over 20 songs over the years for APP including "Games People Play" and "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You". I totally lost track of him though..

I played I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You all the time as a teenager.

yesstiles
02-03-2020, 12:27 AM
Then disaster struck with the aptly-titled BATS... something went horribly wrong in the quest or conquest for America...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JA9w0Gfaw

Oh, come on.

Dok
10-19-2021, 11:32 PM
https://strawbsweb.co.uk/index0.asp

Looks like Dave has had a full knee replacement and is recovering well.

mozo-pg
10-20-2021, 08:16 PM
^ :up

Dok
07-31-2022, 07:28 PM

CHERRY RED PRESS RELEASE - NEW STRAWBS ALBUM UNDER WAY

David Cousins, leader of innovative rock band Strawbs, reveals that work is in progress for a new album to be released by Esoteric/Cherry Red in 2023.

Following the five-star reviews and chart-topping success of Settlement, fans around the world were disappointed when live Strawbs shows were cancelled for the foreseeable future.

David says: “In August last year I was diagnosed with a malignant tumour that required major surgery to remove it. My consultant advised me that the recovery period would be six months, which was the reason for me having to withdraw from all live Strawbs shows. I am pleased that the procedure was successful and I must express my gratitude to the National Health Service (NHS) team who continue to monitor my progress.”

‘Settlement’ was influenced by the strange atmosphere of the Covid-19 lockdowns. The new Strawbs album will again be produced by Blue Weaver who says that some songs he’s heard so far reflect the challenges of the past year, while others look at today’s uncertainty and social unrest.

David Cousins goes on to say: “I’d like to thank our Strawbs friends for their patience and understanding. One of the new songs is called - ‘Wiser Now’.” We all are.

rickawakeman
07-31-2022, 07:57 PM
Great news all around!

Jack in Wilmington
07-31-2022, 09:34 PM

I would include "Bursting at the Seams and "Grave New World" in that list.

EBES
08-01-2022, 03:44 PM

CHERRY RED PRESS RELEASE - NEW STRAWBS ALBUM UNDER WAY

David Cousins, leader of innovative rock band Strawbs, reveals that work is in progress for a new album to be released by Esoteric/Cherry Red in 2023.

Following the five-star reviews and chart-topping success of Settlement, fans around the world were disappointed when live Strawbs shows were cancelled for the foreseeable future.

David says: “In August last year I was diagnosed with a malignant tumour that required major surgery to remove it. My consultant advised me that the recovery period would be six months, which was the reason for me having to withdraw from all live Strawbs shows. I am pleased that the procedure was successful and I must express my gratitude to the National Health Service (NHS) team who continue to monitor my progress.”

‘Settlement’ was influenced by the strange atmosphere of the Covid-19 lockdowns. The new Strawbs album will again be produced by Blue Weaver who says that some songs he’s heard so far reflect the challenges of the past year, while others look at today’s uncertainty and social unrest.

David Cousins goes on to say: “I’d like to thank our Strawbs friends for their patience and understanding. One of the new songs is called - ‘Wiser Now’.” We all are.

Very happy to see he's doing well. I haven't listened to any of the recent Strawbs stuff (defining recent here as the last 20 years or so) but it may be time to remedy that.

loshammeros
08-03-2022, 11:13 AM
Good to hear he is on the repair.I spoke with him in 2019 after a show at Sellersville and he remembered the shows they played at The Roxy ( Lehigh Valley ) 45 years prior. Quite a gentleman!!!

Firth
08-03-2022, 05:44 PM
:up

chalkpie
08-03-2022, 08:45 PM
Dave is a legend. Grave New World is beyond special for me, and Witchwood is close too.

Piskie
08-06-2022, 02:57 AM
Alongside Fairport, Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne and Tull the Strawbs are one of the great of folk rock in my book.

Firth
08-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Alongside Fairport, Steeleye Span, Lindisfarne and Tull the Strawbs are one of the great of folk rock in my book.

Sandy Denny’s solo records, and Fotheringgay are good English folk rock too. It seems however to me that the English were followers of American folk and folk rock.

Firth
08-07-2022, 08:48 AM
Sandy Denny’s solo records, and Fotheringgay are good English folk rock too. It seems however to me that the English were followers of American folk and folk rock.

Sandy Denny had abandoned her studies at art college and was devoting herself full-time to music. While she was performing at The Troubadour folk club, a member of the Strawbs heard her, and in 1967, she was invited to join the band. She recorded one album with them in Denmark, which was released belatedly in 1973, credited to Sandy Denny and the Strawbs: All Our Own Work. The album includes an early solo version of her best-known (and widely recorded) composition, "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" A demo of that song found its way into the hands of American singer Judy Collins, who chose to cover it as the title track of an album of her own, released in November 1968, thus giving Denny international exposure as a songwriter before she had become widely known as a singer.

Firth
08-07-2022, 08:52 AM
Sandy Denny’s contemporaries in college included guitarist and future member of Pentangle, John Renbourn.

After her first public appearance at the Barge in Kingston upon Thames, Denny began working the folk club circuit in the evenings with an American-influenced repertoire, including songs by Tom Paxton, together with traditional folk songs.

Pentangle is one of my favorite folk rock bands