PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

Phlakaton
04-21-2014, 05:45 PM
So what are you using to listen to your music these days? Headphones. I just switched back to Sony 7506 Monitoring type headphones. Tossed some beyerdynamic pads on them too. Anyway... the clean untouched EQ flatness is so much nicer. I was using Sony earbuds with some "enhanced" bass and I liked them - but having not used monitors for 10 years - now I'm experiencing music all fresh again. Only drawback is some music isnt recorded or mastered all that well - so they actually make some music sound like plops.

Thought I'd toss this out there. For $80 I think these are still some of the better ones on the cheap side.

Mikhael
04-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Headphones: AKG240 for critical listening. They just sound the flatest and clearest to me. At work, I use an old set of AKG K-55 phones. They're not great, but they're butt-ugly (though lightweight), and no one will steal them...
Speakers: An old set of Infinity two-ways that I rebuilt. I replaced the tweeters with the higher-power set from the Infinity SM-12; I *like* their tweeters. Clear, revealing, yet not harsh. I rebuilt the surrounds on the woofers (they always rot away) with a slightly looser butyl surround, and it extended the bass a bit. Sometimes I use a powered sub with them for full bass extension. These are actually the speakers I use for studio monitors now; they don't lie to me about the bass like the Mackie HR824s did (although the Mackies do sound nice for listening).

[edit] I forgot my Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers; little buggers in an aluminum case that I have snuggled into the headboard of my bed. Great little cheap speakers! That's why Radio Shack stopped making them. Anything they did that was decent, they dropped. Now they're just a glorified cellphone kiosk.

You don't want to go into PA gear do you? I really don't listen to any music on that monstrosity, other than what my band is playing at any given moment...

R_burke
04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
I have two pair - Grado RS2i modified with auvilio headband and beyerdynamic comfy pads for my bedroom and a pair of Fostek TP-1s modified by Thunderpants that have new cabling and African Blackwood cups

I run the bedroom pair through a Marantz CD-5001 that has a separate built in headphone amp and I run the TP-1s via a Woo Audio WA2 pre/headphone amp in my main set up.

Like em both, the Grados are really great for Rock and the TP-1s are good on pretty much anything, but require a lot of power to push them properly

Mikhael
04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
I run the bedroom pair through a Marantz CD-5001 that has a separate built in headphone amp and I run the TP-1s via a Woo Audio WA2 pre/headphone amp in my main set up.

Like em both, the Grados are really great for Rock and the TP-1s are good on pretty much anything, but require a lot of power to push them properly

Yeah, my AKG240s also require some power; they're 600-ohm headphones. But it seems that makes a difference in the accuracy and clarity, somehow.

Magic Mountain
04-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I just bought the Abyss AB-1266/Cavalli LAu amplifier combination. Headphones are bulky but the sound is amazing. So the set-up is Accustic Arts Drive II CD transport --> Bricasti M1 DAC --> Cavalli LAu amp

Facelift
04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
For an Ipod source, I've loved the Sennheiser HD 25 SP II. they usually go for around $125. If you like closed-back headphones that don't encase the whole ear, these are probably the best I've heard for the price.

Though recently I got the Sennheiser PX-200 II for $55 from a place that was going out of business and have been very happy with them. They're smaller than the above and collapsable, making them easier to take from place to place and keep in a pocket. These are closed-back, on-ear, but the cups are smaller - they're the size of the old walkman headphones. Anyway, there is some sacrifice in bass and soundstage from the 25 SPs, but the size difference and shorter cord make them my go-to on-the-go headphone.

I think back to the portable headphones of the '80s and they've really come a long way, especially for the money.

Jubal
05-14-2014, 07:30 AM
At my desktop PC, I use the headphone jack on my Klipsch 2.1 THX system for my Sennheiser HD-595s.
Yesterday, I got a pair of HD-650s. I'm looking at headphone amps now.

Jvalvano
05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
At my desktop PC, I use the headphone jack on my Klipsch 2.1 THX system for my Sennheiser HD-595s.
Yesterday, I got a pair of HD-650s. I'm looking at headphone amps now.

I have a pair of 650s that I use with a Schiit Valhalla. I really like the combo and the Valhalla matches very well with the 650s. It's a well built, great sounding amp that's reasonably prices. IMO.

Burley Wright
05-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Anybody heard Sony MDR-1R's?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1R-Premium-Over--Headphones/dp/B009A6CZ30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400115202&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-1r

LASERCD
05-14-2014, 09:47 PM
I just bought the Abyss AB-1266/Cavalli LAu amplifier combination. Headphones are bulky but the sound is amazing. So the set-up is Accustic Arts Drive II CD transport --> Bricasti M1 DAC --> Cavalli LAu amp

Living large!!

Digital_Man
05-15-2014, 01:48 AM
I have a pretty decent pair of Sony headphones that I bought for something like 30 dollars. I use them to listen to music in my bed before I fall asleep. They are bulky but the sound is very good.

Bungalow Bill
05-30-2014, 03:12 PM
I just switched back to Sony 7506 Monitoring type headphones.

I have a similar model (maybe even the same) and I like them but they're definitely on the bright end.

I have a decent set on Senn. phones (forget the model) and they're good but a little flat and mid-rangy.

I use Sony or Senn. earbuds. The Sony are better overall.

Bungalow Bill
05-30-2014, 03:12 PM
I just bought the Abyss AB-1266/Cavalli LAu amplifier combination.

Wow. Was it worth the investment?

BarryLI
05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Grado GS1000's at the job, PS1000's en la casa.

wideopenears
05-30-2014, 03:55 PM
I just got a pair of Sony MDR10RDC's as my 10 year work anniversary gift....they're shipping to me, so I will check back after I've had a chance to use them.
I use an old Sennheisser that's not made anymore, and they're trashed...sadly. On the go, I use cheap phones--Sony MDRZX100's to and fro, and some white things, similar to those but made by some company called 2X or some such, at the gym......

Jubal
05-31-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm a headphone fanatic. Here are some of the headphones I have had:
Koss Phase 2 _ these are a 70s model. They are essentially the Pro 4AA with speakers that change angles. You can actually adjust your soundstage with these. While the sound is very good vintage 70s, they are very uncomfortable
Sennheiser HD224- These were the broadcaster's choice back in late 70s early 80s. A bit weak on base, but very comfortable and great detail. They're nearly impossible to find now
AKG 240M - better bass than the 224, but not as good on isolation. Comfort is just a hair less than the Sennheiser 224. Biggest issue was they fell apart in less than 6 monyhs when used for DJing.
Sony V6 - I picked up a used pair at a garage sale for 2.00. These sound very good, good comfort and isolation. One of the best over ear values under 100.00
Sennheiser HD280 - their "loud DJ" headphone. The isolation on these makes then a good choice for ear protectors at the firing range. Sound quality is good to very good on dance music. Bass is prominent and actually cased physical discomfort even at low volume. These are not comfortable at all. Like wearing a vice grip.
Sennheiser HD595 - I've had these for 5 years at my desktop. They are probably the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Sound quality is excellent. Since they are a open back design, isolation is not good.Plastic yoke covers began cracking after 2 years, but the yokes have held together very well
Sennheiser HD650 - I recently bought a pair of these. They are universally raved about for being probably the best high end headphone for the money. They are slightly less comfortable than the HD 595 due to a slightly snugger fit. The isolation is actually pretty decent considering these are a open back design. The difference in sound quality based on your headphone amp can be very surprising. The bass seems very clean without loss of warmth. Transients seem cleaner than the 595, but not crisp. In other words, the sound seems more natural. It does seem to affect the soundstage on some recordings.
I think I need to invest in a good headphone amp and another few months to properly break these in.

These are very nice

wideopenears
05-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Anyone know of a place that sells replacement capsules for Sennheiser HD540-Reference II's? Love these, but they're .....a bit fried.

No Pride
05-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Sennheiser HD595 - I've had these for 5 years at my desktop. They are probably the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Sound quality is excellent. Since they are a open back design, isolation is not good.Plastic yoke covers began cracking after 2 years, but the yokes have held together very well
That's what I use. They're pretty nice, although I had some expensive Sonys that were better, but they fried after about 20 years of use.

Sometimes I'll listen to music on my Shure SE535 in-ear monitors, which I bought for use on my live gigs. Obviously, the isolation is great (the main reason for in-ear monitors in the first place) and they sound better than my Sennheisers (at $500, they better!), but they're not nearly as comfortable. They have custom molded Sensaphonic sleeves and after a year of useage, I still struggle with getting them in my ears, so I naturally prefer listening to music with my comfortable Senns.

Onomatopoeic
02-25-2015, 03:43 AM
Depending on wat I listening to or where I'm at, it's usually either AKG 271 II or AKG 240 Anniversary.

BobM
02-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Sennheiser HD600's
Pete Millet "Mini Max" (tubed) headphone amplifier

What really makes a quality headphone shine is the headphone amp that is used to drive it. For me, tubes are the only way to go.

Jack in Wilmington
02-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Sennheiser HD600's for me too. I use the Musical Fidelity XCan V3 headphone amp which is tubed. I've also upgraded the cable on my phones to the Zu Audio Mobius cable. Big improvement over the stock cable.

spacefreak
02-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Sennheiser HD 598. Completely open -so no isolation, but exceptionally balanced. Not destined for iPods, mobile phones or laptops though, you need a good source to extract the best out of them.

Dave (in MA)
02-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Headphones. I just switched back to Sony 7506 Monitoring type headphones. What distinguishes "monitoring" phones from the rest?

Don't laugh, but a lot of my listening is done while I'm doing chores (lawnmowing, raking, cleaning, planting, weeding, snow shoveling etc.) and I need phones that stay on my head when I bend over and move into various positions. Since I don't like putting anything in my ears, buds are out. Several years ago my wife came back from some discount store with some Skullcandy Skullcrushers headphones that she found cheap, and I found that they were ideal for physical activity. Most of the reviews of these phones complain that their "subwoofer" feature makes them overly bassy, but that's not the case at all. You just have to turn the bass control down to the point where it's effect is nice and subtle, then they sound pretty good. The only problem is, this model has been replaced with a much more expensive "Crushers" model and I can't get a straight answer out of anyone whether it has that same snugness that I'm looking for. My other option is a sound-blocking Ryobi model that works OK enough but it has a volume limiting feature that won't let you play music loud enough to be heard when you 're running any machinery.

Also don't laugh, but in the house I use the overly-expensive Bose QC3 phones that were also a gift. They sound pretty good, but not $300 good.

Dean Watson
02-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Sony 7506's for me. They're a little bass light, but I've grown accustomed to them.

Jubal
02-27-2015, 06:45 AM
What distinguishes "monitoring" phones from the rest?

Don't laugh, but a lot of my listening is done while I'm doing chores (lawnmowing, raking, cleaning, planting, weeding, snow shoveling etc.) and I need phones that stay on my head when I bend over and move into various positions. Since I don't like putting anything in my ears, buds are out. Several years ago my wife came back from some discount store with some Skullcandy Skullcrushers headphones that she found cheap, and I found that they were ideal for physical activity. Most of the reviews of these phones complain that their "subwoofer" feature makes them overly bassy, but that's not the case at all. You just have to turn the bass control down to the point where it's effect is nice and subtle, then they sound pretty good. The only problem is, this model has been replaced with a much more expensive "Crushers" model and I can't get a straight answer out of anyone whether it has that same snugness that I'm looking for. My other option is a sound-blocking Ryobi model that works OK enough but it has a volume limiting feature that won't let you play music loud enough to be heard when you 're running any machinery.

Also don't laugh, but in the house I use the overly-expensive Bose QC3 phones that were also a gift. They sound pretty good, but not $300 good.

"Monitoring" is a subjective term. It generally refers to using them to critically evaluate a mix. The primary criteria here is accuracy in frequency response and minimization of distortion.

As for physical styles, here are the basics:
1. Over the ear - traditional style headphones with a band that goes over the top of the head and speaker cups that completely encase the ears
2. On Ear- same basic style as over the ear except there is no "cup". The speaker casing usually has foam and lays flat against the ears
3. In ear - buds that fit in ears. These can range in quality from very poor to extremely accurate. Some have "ear hangers", and there are some that have "behind the neck" bands.

Over the ear phones can be either closed back or open back design. Closed back means the isolation is very good. Open back means there can be leakage of sound both to the listener and also those around the listener.

Udi Koomran
07-13-2015, 11:59 PM
I have the Senheiser 650 HD
the mids are fair
the highs are slightly hyped
the botom end lacks a bit for my taste

hFx
07-25-2015, 08:01 AM
I switched from Sennheisers to Focal Spirit Professional! They sound really good, well balanced and very detailed, but I'm still learning how to mix with them. They are good for tracking too as they are closed headphones.

Jubal
08-09-2015, 09:04 PM
I also have the Sennheiser HD650s. I also have the Sennheiser HD595s. The 595s are more comfortable, as the 650s tend to squeeze my slightly large head.
The sound of the 650s is exceptional in my opinion. I personally feel that the bass is very full and clean without causing the excessive pressure waves from large closed back cans. The mids and highs are very smooth and the sound stage is spectacular for headphones.
If you ask me if the 650s are worth twice the cost of the 595s, I'd have to say no. The law of diminishing returns really kicks in with the 595s.
Regardless, the 650s are absolutely sublime with high resolution material. Last night I listened to Jon Serrie's Ixlandia with them. No special other equipment, just a Yamaha CD player and a Pioneer Home Theater receiver headphone jack. The receiver does have a Direct output, which tends to make the headphones sound cleaner.

NogbadTheBad
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM
I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums I got for $180 that are great

Dave (in MA)
08-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Still enjoying these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFVSKRS/ref=sr_ph_1?m=A2X0F4F8T5BV34&ie=UTF8&qid=1439174584&sr=sr-1&keywords=symphonized&tag=digitalca0daa06-20), and I paid $15 more.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81ymNI5k68L._SY355_.jpg

3RDegree_Robert
08-10-2015, 05:32 AM
I'm uploading hi-def/hi-res files from hdtracks.com to the Onkyo HF Player app on my iPhone listening via an Oppo HA-2 headphone amp/D-A converter via Oppo PM-3's planar magnetic headphones. As I listen on my bus commute a good hour + a day, I reward myself with some hi-end FLAC listening but mostly Apple Lossless 16/44.1 transfers of my 30 years of CD buying.

Jubal
08-15-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm uploading hi-def/hi-res files from hdtracks.com to the Onkyo HF Player app on my iPhone listening via an Oppo HA-2 headphone amp/D-A converter via Oppo PM-3's planar magnetic headphones. As I listen on my bus commute a good hour + a day, I reward myself with some hi-end FLAC listening but mostly Apple Lossless 16/44.1 transfers of my 30 years of CD buying.
Wow. I hope no mugger demands to have your headphones. Those cans are EXPENSIVE!

Supersonic Scientist
02-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Just got a pair of Audio‑Technica ATH M50X. Super flat response and sound great in my studio. Best headphones I've ever had but that's not saying much as I used to be most-apt to only plop down $75-100 on phones.

robdebank
04-04-2016, 11:36 PM
I am now saving money to purchase Skullcandy Hesh 2 headphones .

JKL2000
04-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Sometimes when I see someone wearing Beats headphones, I like to say "Oh, I didn't know Bloomingdale's made headphones!"

Beats logo:
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.186246482.9298/sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.u2.jpg

Bloomingdale's logo:
http://passion-stickers.com/1472-home_default/stickers-music-beats-by-dr-dre.jpg

I'm sure they appreciate this harmless jape.

rapidfirerob
04-15-2016, 03:18 AM
Sennheiser HD 598. Completely open -so no isolation, but exceptionally balanced. Not destined for iPods, mobile phones or laptops though, you need a good source to extract the best out of them.

I picked these up last winter on sale. Very natural sound. Replaces my old Sennheisers.

JKL2000
10-14-2019, 11:17 PM
I need a new pair of noise canceling headphones, but it seems like they’re all Bluetooth and cordless now. WTF? I want to listen to CDs on a portable CD player, and maybe an iPod.

Dave (in MA)
10-14-2019, 11:30 PM
Amazon seems to have plenty of Noise Canceling Headphones Wired options, but others will need to chime in with opinions as to whether they're any good.

rcarlberg
10-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Sony MDRZX110NC Noise Cancelling Headphones have 1,950 Amazon user reviews, average 4 out of 5 stars, $30

OneOdio Adapter-Free Closed Back Over-Ear DJ Stereo Monitor Headphones have 2,098 Amazon user reviews, average 4.5 stars out of 5, $32.99

Edifier H840 Audiophile Over-The-Ear Headphones have 717 Amazon user reviews, average 4.5 stars out of 5, $39.99

Top Cat
10-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Sony MDR 7506 headphones in my home studio. Love them, especially since they have soft cushions for the ears.
The ear covers do wear down affecting the sound after a couple of years, but you can buy replacement covers and you're good to go again.
I like the sound and they're light and very comfortable.

NogbadTheBad
10-15-2019, 09:16 AM
I use a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50, very happy with them.

JKL2000
10-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Thanks. It’s a bit alarming though how wireless headphones seem to be quickly replacing wired, as though all audio equipment has Bluetooth. So not only do we need to “stock up” on portable CD players (and tuners!), but on headphones too.

RE Audio Technical headphones, I’ve had bad experiences with them. When they work they’re good, but the wires and switches are unreliable.

Grimjack
10-15-2019, 10:57 AM
There’s an adapter made by SHG for devices like CD Walkmans that fit into the 1/8” headphone jack that provides Bluetooth capability if such a thing interests you. About $10.
Wireless headphones are definitely taking over. I resisted for a long time. Then I got a set of Sony WH1000MX3 and they’ve been stellar. I don’t use them for critical listening at home, but for commuting, our open office plan and day-to-day walking around, they sound pretty great. Plenty of punch, detail and great noise cancellation. YMMV etc.

rcarlberg
10-15-2019, 11:41 AM
What’s the range on a pair of Bluetooth headphones? When I Bluetooth my iPad to my big stereo, it has to be within sight and within about 20’.

Plasmatopia
10-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Plenty of wired headphones available (though most are probably not noise-canceling?) on the various music equipment sites like Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc. Hard to believe those are going to change over to Bluetooth anytime soon, but who knows.

Zeuhlmate
10-15-2019, 12:36 PM
Anybody tried Audeze ? (or had the money to own them?)

like .... LCD-4Z

Grimjack
10-15-2019, 12:49 PM
What’s the range on a pair of Bluetooth headphones? When I Bluetooth my iPad to my big stereo, it has to be within sight and within about 20’.

Depends on the class of the device. Class 1 are the most powerful and can operate up to 100m (330ft), Class 2 (the most common kind for computer peripherals, headphones and other personal electronics) operate up to 10m (33ft), and class 3 (usually used in cars) are the least powerful and don't go much beyond 1m (3.3ft). Line of sight is certainly helpful, and being on the other side of a steel-reinforced concrete wall or beam definitely hinders performance.

JKL2000
10-15-2019, 01:20 PM

What component in your stereo has Bluetooth? Or are you using some adapter to transmit via BT?

rcarlberg
10-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Adapter (Bluetooth receiver). I beam Pandora from the iPad to it.

progmatist
10-15-2019, 02:55 PM
I'm a die hard wired, passive headphone user. I don't want to be stuck on the bus/train to/from work, and realize I forgot to charge my wireless and/or noise canceling phones.

NogbadTheBad
10-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I see no benefit for me in wireless given how I use headphones, they are only ever plugged into an ipod or laptop.

rdclark
10-15-2019, 04:35 PM
I am not a Bose guy, but I find that my wife's (wired) Quietcomfort 25 headphones are the most physically comfortable I've ever used, and they actually sound really good. The physical comfort part should not be de-emphasized, but of course takes a couple of hours continuous use to assess, to return privileges when purchasing are important.

I travel with Monoprice BT-300ANC headphones, because at (currently) $42 I can afford to lose them accidentally. These are wired or wireless, have active noise canceling (which works well for things like airplane noise), come with a case and an audio cable, and have acceptably neutral sound quality. I just returned from a trip via ship, car, plane and train where I used them daily, sometimes for hours, and was very pleased with their performance and comfort (not Bose-level headphones-what-headphones? comfort, but no actual pain, either).

I used them via Bluetooth with their active electronics turned on, although they work wired/passive as well. It's interesting how much of a Bluetooth convert I've become since I got a modern smartphone with 120MB of storage. I use the phone for so many audio things -- podcasts and music while working with my hands or working out, music in the shower, Android Auto, casting things to my TV/HT systeem, etc. -- that the convenience of just being able to connect serially to output devices in different rooms or cars, or to don BT headphones for chores or exercise, has made BT my default connection. My phone has an audio jack that I have never used.

Critical listening is another matter. For that I'm using the Sennheiser HD650, a few years old now, that are both physically and aurally comfortable like old shoes. Perfect for sitting back in the recliner for extended listening when people are upstairs sleeping.

rcarlberg
10-15-2019, 05:04 PM
I am not a Bose guy, but I find that my wife's (wired) Quietcomfort 25 headphones are the most physically comfortable I've ever used, and they actually sound really good. They're listed right alongside the highly-rated $30 headphones I listed above.

But they're $177. (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quietcomfort+25&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)

'Nuff said.

Jerjo
10-15-2019, 05:46 PM
I have Sony MDR-V55s - I found them on sale at a Worst Buy when my old Koss pair bit the dust on a trip to the in-laws. The plether coating on the pads has come off but they are pretty indestructible. The sound is...not bad for that price range. Considerably better than ear buds or those dreadful Beats. I still use them for travel when I can hook them to the iPad or when I'm walking for exercise with my phone.

At some point next year when we're much more flush and the retirement funds go from a trickle to a steady stream I'll update all the stereo equipment in the house. And at that point I'll be going for a pricey planar phones with their own amp and DAC. And my wife can watch her Ghost Adventures or Forensic Files while I float in bliss.

rdclark
10-15-2019, 06:47 PM
They're listed right alongside the highly-rated $30 headphones I listed above.

But they're $177. (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quietcomfort+25&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)

'Nuff said.

Here is a site that conducts objective bench tests of headphone and other gear: rtings.com.

I never suggested that $30 headphones should perform on the same level as $177 headphones. Neither do I suggest that they do. They do not. The Bose significantly outperform the Sony in every respect, often by wide margins.

As I pointed out (and gave an example of) there is good reason to favor inexpensive headphones. There may also be reason to favor exceptionally comfortable ones, which was my reason for citing the Bose model. Unfortunately, rtings did not test the inexpensive Monoprice model I use, but Consumer Reports did and rated them a Best Buy.

Again, comfort is subjective and individual, and return privileges after a multi-hour trial should IMO be an important purchase consideration.

BTW, "'nuff said" is an obnoxious way to end a statement of opinion, in my opinion.

Dave (in MA)
10-15-2019, 08:24 PM
I had a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 2(?) 'phones that my wife gave me. They come in a nice travel case seemingly indicating that they're nice to take along with you when you travel, etc., but mine just sat alongside my easy chair and I used them every so often, alternating between those 'phones and some others. One day I went to put them on and the plastic arm that holds one of the ear cups just shattered. Of course, it was a few months after the warranty expired, but I called up to complain anyway. They put me through to some supervisor of some kind, who ended up offering to sell me a new pair for "$8*". When I replied that the $8 replacement cost sounded good but wanted to know what the asterisk meant, I got a reply that it was a typo and that they meant to type "$89". I ended up going for it anyway since it was a gift from my wife, but I wasn't happy about it. This was 10 years ago and the 'phones have mostly sat in the case since then, and I've opted to mostly use a set of Symphonized Wraith phones that sound better than the Bose and would be hard to break by accident since the parts that undergo physical stress are steel, not plastic.

rcarlberg
10-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Sorry you thought “nuff said” was obnoxious. I didn’t mean it to be. I just meant to point out that Bose are rated about as high as the thirty dollar cans, but at SIX TIMES the cost.

rdclark
10-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Rated by whom? Amazon star ratings are neither objective nor scalable. A 5-star $30 headphone is "great for $30," while a 4-star $200 headphone is "maybe should be $150." You simply cannot use Amazon star ratings to compare products in vastly different price classes (assuming you can use them for anything at all).

I showed you where you can compare headphones using objective lab tests that do not consider price, because what a thing is worth to a buyer is entirely subjective.

rcarlberg
10-15-2019, 09:45 PM
The Bose significantly outperform the Sony in every respect, often by wide margins.And yet, on the website you recommend, a Sony holds the top spot.

I’m not saying cheap headphones outperform expensive ones. They usually don’t. But that doesn’t mean expensive ones are always better either, because that’s simply not true. Bose spends too much on marketing and not enough on R&D. They are, generally, as a brand, way overpriced.

rdclark
10-16-2019, 01:34 AM
And yet, on the website you recommend, a Sony holds the top spot.

And would that in any way support anything you have previously said, even if it were true?

I’m not saying cheap headphones outperform expensive ones. They usually don’t. But that doesn’t mean expensive ones are always better either, because that’s simply not true. Bose spends too much on marketing and not enough on R&D. They are, generally, as a brand, way overpriced.

I was very clear that I was not defending Bose as a brand. Yet you insist on arguing with me as if I am.

I was very clear that I not only support but also own and use low-price phones, such as my Monoprice cans. Yet you insist on arguing with me as if I never mentioned it.

I was very clear that I was specifically addressing the issue of comfort, and in fact on rtings.com Bose models fill the top ranks of top scorers in the comfort category -- where there are no Sonys at all.

I don't know where on rtings.com you were looking, but they have no single "top spot." And in most of the categories they use, in fact Bose models top their ratings.

Whatever your opinion about Bose -- and I am very familiar with the entrenched audiophile contempt for the company -- it is a fact that they have refined their headphone designs to a point where they have gained widespread respect among audio critics as well as users. And many other companies produce models at similar or higher price points that are demonstrably not as good. If the Bose unit are overpriced, then they are in good company (including Sony, which matches Bose's prices for most premium mainstream models).

Please try for better factual support for your arguments if you want to continue this.

aith01
10-16-2019, 01:51 AM
At the risk of being an outcast, I will say that Bluetooth headphones have changed the way I listen to music -- for the better.

rcarlberg
10-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Please try for better factual support for your arguments if you want to continue this.No desire to continue this -- because I'm pretty sure we fundamentally agree. Headphones, like speakers, are an intensely personal choice, there is no "best" -- just what is comfortable for your head (which varies) and what sounds good to you (which varies even more widely).

You like your wife's Quietcomfort 25s. That's fine!

I've listened to a lot of high fidelity systems. I've listened to a lot of Bose headphones. I'm just saying, in my experience, there's been no overlap.

progmatist
10-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Rated by whom? Amazon star ratings are neither objective nor scalable.

Not to mention, many rave reviews are fake and paid for.

rcarlberg
10-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Not to mention, many rave reviews are fake and paid for.
Bose spends too much on marketing and not enough on R&D.It's been mentioned.

JKL2000
10-16-2019, 04:31 PM
I should have said I need ACTIVE noise cancelling.

rdclark
10-16-2019, 09:33 PM
I should have said I need ACTIVE noise cancelling.

I think I mentioned how pleased I am with the Monoprice BT300ANC, currently $43. They have very effective ANC (for continuous noise such as in airplanes, trains, etc.). They can use a cable (included) or Bluetooth. The ANC can be switched on and off independently of audio. There's a nice carrying case, they fold, and charging is via standard USB. Sound quality is very good, IMO, but slightly better with their active electronics turned on (eg, via Bluetooth).

Bose's ANC is widely regarded as the best in the business, but having compared my wife's QC25 to my BT300 on our last trip, I'd rate the cheap phones as nearly as good. The thing with ANC is not to expect cancellation of intermittent sounds like people talking or babies crying, or of higher-frequency noise beyond what's physically muffled by headphones themselves and their seal around your ears. They reduce steady-state noise, and more effectively at lower frequencies.

Even wired, you'll still need a battery for ANC. My wife's (more comfortable and better-sounding) wired-only Boses use a AAA cell.

I think these Monoprice phones are representative of a whole fleet of Chinese-made audio brands that can offer very high value but sometimes variable quality control and customer support.

progmatist
10-17-2019, 04:35 PM
It's been mentioned.

It's a sad commentary when fake Amazon reviews count as marketing.

progmatist
10-31-2019, 01:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnuWbclO070

Buddhabreath
10-31-2019, 02:30 PM
Bose sucks and rdclark should stop defending them at all costs and regardless of the facts!!!

Gizmotron
10-31-2019, 07:29 PM
I would never buy Bose headphones. But I did end up with a free pair of the 35s that are wireless. They are great on a plane or other, noisy environments; they take away a chunk of the noise. They are fine for casual listening. The lack of a wire is...convenient.

But whenever I listen carefully in quieter places I always reach for my wired Denons and a headphone amp.

So if Bose cost 1/4 of their selling price I would suggest grabbing a pair. Or, if you are rich.
But most of us don't have that situation.

rcarlberg
10-31-2019, 10:11 PM
But I did end up with a free pair of the 35s that are wireless. That was the appropriate price.

So if Bose cost 1/4 of their selling price I would suggest grabbing a pair. Or, if you are rich. If you are rich, you can do much, much better for the price.

Yodelgoat
10-31-2019, 11:17 PM
I use Bose exclusively for live performance and nothing, I mean nothing touches them. I have a pair of the Bose F1 model 812's and wow! I know this is about headphones, but I do have to say that Bose has really upped its game on the live music front. I use them in my studio and they sound great! But, I dont spend a lot on headphones, simply because they break. I have some Sony MD75's in my studio that are pretty bulletproof, but listening on my phone I use cheapo Skull Candy buds from Walmart. They break or get chewed by kittens, no problemo. I always list fairly quietly, because I need my ears for the next decade. Headphones can do a lot of damage if you are not careful. Long term listening is far superior in a good listening room with decent speakers. I use Mackie XR624's and Sony NS10's in the studio. The Mackies are great with a JBL sub. I have some smaller near fields as well, but headphones are not my choice for listening, critical or just for enjoyment.

rdclark
11-01-2019, 12:33 AM
Bose sucks and rdclark should stop defending them at all costs and regardless of the facts!!!

I question your sincerity, based on how few exclamation points you used.

Regarding facts, I wonder why nobody seems to want to respond to the fact that Bose headphones are consistently rated highly by objective testing organizations like rtings.com, Consumer Reports, Wirecutter, CNET and many others.

Regarding the deep-seated anti-Bose bias in the audiophile community, I once shared it -- and still do when it comes to their home-audio products, which are indeed (as repeatedly shown by testing) overpriced, underperforming fashion accessories, by and large.

As previously noted, Bose has earned its prominence in the pro-audio field. They also make some excellent architectural audio products. Their consumer headphones are competitive products as well, and Bose-bashers can bitch and moan about it, but have no actual evidence for their bias.

Dave (in MA)
11-01-2019, 01:06 AM
I own 5 $300 or higher Bose products, all given to me as gifts, and based on my experiences with them, it's highly unlikely that I'll be buying any more of their products.

Buddhabreath
11-01-2019, 09:52 AM
I question your sincerity, based on how few exclamation points you used.

Yes, quite right. I was being snarky. I just like to stir up the sh*t when expressing my historic anti-Bose bias which goes back to their old "high-end" junk mostly. We are actually pretty much in agreement it would seem. Not a fan of the home audio stuff. :)

Dave (in MA)
11-27-2020, 09:12 PM
I just picked up these (https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=koss+phones+porta+pro&qid=1606529258&sr=8-2), even though I don't really need any more headphones. 60% off was too good to pass up.

Jerjo
11-27-2020, 11:03 PM
I just picked up these (https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=koss+phones+porta+pro&qid=1606529258&sr=8-2), even though I don't really need any more headphones. 60% off was too good to pass up.

My wife had a pair of those for exercise and they weren't bad, especially considering the price.

BobM
11-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Loved my porta-pro's on my daily LIRR commute. Great sound, inexpensive, small and didn't need a charge.

Jerjo
02-10-2021, 06:07 PM
For Christmas my beloved got me Sennheiser HD280PRO for under $100 AND a guitar headphone amp. I love these phones, they seal me off from the rest of the world and the guitar sounds great. Even though I suck on guitar.

progmatist
02-11-2021, 01:06 PM
^^ The Tascam TH-200X, which I converted to balanced headphones have Sennheiser ear pads installed. They're by far the most comfortable ear pads I've worn, which I barely feel on the commute to and from work.

Gizmotron
02-14-2021, 01:47 PM
If IEMs are on your menu, I give a “10” to the 1More Quad iems. Excellent and a great value.

Top Cat
02-21-2021, 11:13 AM
the Sony MDR 7506 headphones have been my go to headphones for my home studio for years.
Because of other people in the home, I always mix on headphones(I know bad bad bad), but recently picked up a pair of Ik Media's iLoud micro desktop monitor speakers with plans to use them when I can.
The Sony's run around $99US and fit great and sound very good to my ears. (I noticed on the video someone posted the other day of Peter Gabriel re-recording Biko, he was wearing a pair of the Sony's.
My old pair I use for my internet computer, but lately they've been sounding very bassy, even after changing the covers which fall apart after years of use. I tried cleaning them by handwashing(the covers) thinking maybe the mesh was plugged up, but that didn't help.
I also need an extra pair of headphones when I bring my wife into my studio to listen to a song I'm working on.

I wanted something cheap(so I can buy a new album with the money instead..lol) and came across these Behringer headphones $15. They have great user reviews on Sweetwater and Amazon, and for the money, why not?
On back order but my rep says should be another month before shipping again. I'll leave a review once they arrive. :)

Anyway, for anyone interested: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HPS3000--behringer-hps3000-studio-headphones

echolynfan
05-12-2023, 03:47 PM
I just picked up a pair of SENNHEISER HD 206 Closed-Back Over Ear Headphones from Amazon for only $40 and they sound incredible for the price. I've had more expensive headphones that didn't sound this good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X92G8HG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details